Round Earthers, can you explain this?

• 149 Replies

sokarul

• Extra Racist
Re: Round Earthers, can you explain this?
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2007, 08:01:26 PM »
Quite incorrect. This picture elegantly contains all of your Round Earthist premises. And it is a contradiction. It shows what a fraud your religion is.
You are retarded. 
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

Franc T., Planar

• Leader of the Planar Army, Republic of Canada
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2007, 08:03:11 PM »
Reality always wins against belief.

Round Earthism is a religion, nothing more. It will be relegated to the dustbin of historical insanity.
Broadcasting live from the Republic of Canada!

They say death and taxes are the only two absolutes. Actually, they're only half right.

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2007, 08:05:28 PM »
Reality always wins against belief.

Flat Earthism is a religion, nothing more. It will be relegated to the dustbin of historical insanity.

Your opinion wouldn't change if you were in space yourself.

Franc T., Planar

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2007, 08:08:37 PM »
Flat Earth does not depend on hostility of the kind displayed by you and your ilk. Flat Earth does not depend on lies and pseudo-science. Flat Earth is not a religion, it is fact.

You are no better than Jerry Falwell or Fred Phelps. Your ideology of hatred is imposed by the education system, the government, and other religions. When they fall, you will fall also.

They say death and taxes are the only two absolutes. Actually, they're only half right.

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2007, 08:12:17 PM »
Flat Earth does not depend on hostility of the kind displayed by you and your ilk. Flat Earth does not depend on lies and pseudo-science. Flat Earth is not a religion, it is fact.

You are no better than Jerry Falwell or Fred Phelps. Your ideology of hatred is imposed by the education system, the government, and other religions. When they fall, you will fall also.

By my ilk?  I haven't made one hostile comment besides calling you dipshit because you like to use only certain definitions of words.

You can't prove Flat Earth just like no one on this forum can prove Round Earth.

And if you can, let's see it.  I challenge you right here.

« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2007, 08:12:39 PM »
flat earth DOES depend on believing is what you see tho, since these people are all delusional, at least, from what i can tell, franc is, but if you believe the earth is flat, you will start seeing their magical ways
With no south pole, there is no electromagnetism, giving us no protection from the sun's harmful radiation--we'd all be dead right now.
The ice wall, supposedly made up of antartica lies around the edge of the earth, why no one has recorded it, who knows

Franc T., Planar

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2007, 08:25:07 PM »
No, seeing what you believe is not "delusional." It is a common phenomenon experienced by everyone at some point. When I used to believe that the Earth was round (due to the brainwashing we are all given in school), I thought I "saw" a horizon and ships dissapearing bottom first. When I trusted my senses more and realized the truth, the illusion dissapeared.

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2007, 08:27:52 PM »
No, seeing what you believe is not "delusional." It is a common phenomenon experienced by everyone at some point. When I used to believe that the Earth was round (due to the brainwashing we are all given in school), I thought I "saw" a horizon and ships dissapearing bottom first. When I trusted my senses more and realized the truth, the illusion dissapeared.

You're a hypocrite.  You can't even use your own logic on yourself.

« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2007, 08:29:40 PM »
yea franc, you're a moron
With no south pole, there is no electromagnetism, giving us no protection from the sun's harmful radiation--we'd all be dead right now.
The ice wall, supposedly made up of antartica lies around the edge of the earth, why no one has recorded it, who knows

« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2007, 08:55:19 PM »
easy its a magic trick take a piece of paper and cut it move one side around and tape it done....... or with that 3 side one put a bar in side the loop twist a side another bar and leave the side another bar

?

iliketodebate

« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2007, 09:13:03 PM »

I will do my best.

(P.S. this is my first post, so if I mess up on any terminology, I apologize in advance)

Here is a series of pictures, or a movie, or an optical illusion, or whatnot that appears to break the rules of the "Round Earth Religion." We will call this, for simplicity sake, "the object", whatever it happens to be.

Anyone viewing this object is viewing it on a computer screen.

Turn your screen 90 degrees. You can see that it is a flat screen, or perhaps slightly curved if it is of older design.

My point is that any image viewed on a flat screen is in fact a 2D image - there is no true depth, for parts of an image that appear deepest in the screen are in fact no farther away from your eyes than the rest of the image.

So here is a 2D image, that when interpreted in 3D space, appears to break a few rules.

But it is not 3D, it is 2D, and any apparent "depth" is simply an illusion created by the eyes and the mind. And not necessarily are only objects listed as "optical illusions" create an illusion - any object on any monitor, or piece of paper, is of course, actually merely a 2D image. I hope that both followers of the "Round Earth Religion" as well as the "Flat Earth Religion" can agree to this. If you can't, please let me know.

With the knowledge that this "object" is in fact merely a series of 2D images, it can be said that there are no bars, and there are no blocks, only 2D representations of bars and blocks, using many visual techniques to give the appearance of depth and solidity.

As the "object" is made up of only richly coloured and textured moving shapes, it breaks no "Round Earth Religion" rules, as it is, merely, moving shapes.

And I think that is how the "Round Earth Religion" explains this.

Franc T., Planar

« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2007, 09:13:14 PM »
Let me explain this more slowly for you retards:

1. Like everyone else, I was brainwashed into believing the Earth was round.
2. When I looked at stuff, I saw what I was supposed to see. BELIEVING IS SEEING- or more exactly: Those who believe, interpret what they see differently, and are blind to the differences.
3. But I started doubting this belief, and as I doubted, I started realizing what I was really seeing.
4. I was freed from the evil belief in Round Earthism.

« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2007, 09:17:47 PM »
umm, ur .gif is animated and not a picture ? sorry :(

?

iliketodebate

« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2007, 09:19:38 PM »
In the end, what you see is on a monitor. The monitor is producing many still, 2D pictures per second. Thus, this animation is broken down into a series of images in order to be displayed.

« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2007, 09:22:04 PM »

2. When I looked at stuff, I saw what I was supposed to see. BELIEVING IS SEEING- or more exactly: Those who believe, interpret what they see differently, and are blind to the differences.
3. But I started doubting this belief, and as I doubted, I started realizing what I was really seeing.

Retards?

Way to be a hypocrite again.

Were you also brain washed into thinking that you are a human?  What about that you actually exist?  Can you prove that the matrix isn't real?  Do you know for a fact that you aren't living in your mind?

Franc T., Planar

« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2007, 09:34:25 PM »

Retards?

Were you also brain washed into thinking that you are a human?  What about that you actually exist?  Can you prove that the matrix isn't real?  Do you know for a fact that you aren't living in your mind?

Do YOU?

After all, you already bought into a constructed reality- Round Earthism. How do you know nothing else in your mind is constructed?

?

iliketodebate

« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2007, 09:37:28 PM »
Francois Tremblay, I was wondering if you would be willing to acknowledge that I have answered your original question from this thread. If I haven't, please feel free to say so, and please feel even more free to explain why.

Franc T., Planar

« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2007, 10:00:52 PM »
In the end, what you see is on a monitor. The monitor is producing many still, 2D pictures per second. Thus, this animation is broken down into a series of images in order to be displayed.

Yes...?

« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2007, 10:02:58 PM »

Retards?

Do YOU?

After all, you already bought into a constructed reality- Round Earthism. How do you know nothing else in your mind is constructed?

I don't.  But at the same time, that logic also works for you, in thinking/knowing/whateveryouwanttocallit that the earth is flat.  How do you know that what you think is fact isn't actually something in your mind, because clearly everything we think we know, according to you, is.

Franc T., Planar

« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2007, 10:04:34 PM »

Retards?

Do YOU?

I don't.  But at the same time, that logic also works for you, in thinking/knowing/whateveryouwanttocallit that the earth is flat.  How do you know that what you think is fact isn't actually something in your mind, because clearly everything we think we know, according to you, is.

What the hell are you on? Everything I think is in my mind. That's what thinking MEANS.

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=thinking
1 : to form or have in the mind

« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2007, 10:10:01 PM »
You didn't answer my question.

You believe the earth is flat, and according to your logic, if you believe it is flat, you will see it as flat.

Franc T., Planar

« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2007, 10:14:22 PM »

You believe the earth is flat, and according to your logic, if you believe it is flat, you will see it as flat.

And yet I used to believe the Earth was round, but I came to see it as flat, because I was honest enough to accept the facts when I realized them. When have you ever heard  of a Flat Earther converting to Round Earthism?

« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2007, 10:16:02 PM »

And yet I used to believe the Earth was round, but I came to see it as flat, because I was honest enough to accept the facts when I realized them. When have you ever heard  of a Flat Earther converting to Round Earthism?

Were scientists in the 1600's brainwashed to believe the earth is round?  Where did Magellan's idea's come from?  He must have at some point believed that it was flat, and other people at that time must have believed the same.  What convinced them to change their ways?

?

tehsolace

« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2007, 10:20:02 PM »
This thread was a poor attempt at an analogy for "believing is seeing". 

It fails in its true attempts to do the following:
1) Address the point of the thread as being an analogy for "believing is seeing"
2) Proving that by using an analogy for the phrase "believing is seeing" by using a .GIF image somehow proves that the Earth is not round.
3) Explaining any thought process what-so-ever.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2007, 10:21:24 PM »

I was just thinking about this.  They did experiments and collected data.  The then analyzed the data and found that the earth was round so they CHANGED THEIR MIND.

Were scientists in the 1600's brainwashed to believe the earth is round?  Where did Magellan's idea's come from?  He must have at some point believed that it was flat, and other people at that time must have believed the same.  What convinced them to change their ways?
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

Franc T., Planar

« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2007, 11:28:42 PM »

Who said they did?

« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2007, 01:00:36 AM »
This is a challenge to your belief system, can you explain it?

What it is, is a Möbius Strip

It,s a one-sided nonorientable surface you can make one yourself by cutting a strip of paper, give it a 180° twist and then glue together. The maths for the area element,the  perimeter and the Gaussian and mean curvatures are available but involved they mainly involve integrations of trig functions. What would you like to know about them?
Ive heard that conveyor belt manufacturers occasionally use them to double the service life of some belts.
If you find Möbius Strips interesting try googling  Klein bottles similar and very interesting.

Franc T., Planar

« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2007, 01:02:31 AM »
Thomo, thank you very much. You only understood the superficial level of my argument, but at least you got something. I seriously wish I could give you some kind of award for how superior you are to most Round Earthers on this board.

« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2007, 01:22:13 AM »
Thomo, thank you very much. You only understood the superficial level of my argument, but at least you got something. I seriously wish I could give you some kind of award for how superior you are to most Round Earthers on this board.

Hello Francois,

Hope life finds you in good health.

My initial impression of your post was that I suspected it was a veiled reference and half proof of your essentially two dimensional interpretation of what RE's see as essentially three dimensional.
Was it more along the lines of seeing is NOT understanding?
I very much agree if that was your intent.But, it is a two edged sword as you do need an open mind and a willingness to adjust your views in the weight of contrary evidence.
I have been very careful in all my posts only to ask not to take a firm stance ,