Religious apparitions

• 26 Replies

Tao of Pooh

• I owe it all to good, clean living.
Religious apparitions
« on: March 13, 2007, 02:32:22 AM »
Yet another in a long series of religious apparitions:
Woman says she sees Jesus in burned wallpaper.
Click dis:

beast

Re: Religious apparitions
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 03:00:25 AM »
Clearly bogus.  Indeed statistically you would expect there to be the odd natural shape to have the appearance of a person.  How you can define that person as somebody you've never seen, nor have any account of their appearance, is ludicrous and demonstrates how completely irrational religion can make people.

?

Miss M.

• Screw you.
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 03:05:09 AM »
looks more like the phantom of the opera to me. :P
Quote from: TheEngineer
I happen to like GG.
Quote from: Z, the Enlightened.
I never thought in my life I'd write the sentence "I thought they were caught in a bipolar geodesic?"

Tao of Pooh

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 03:14:10 AM »
The mind see's what it wants to see.
A vivid imagination, mental instability/agitation, religious fervour all can cause a person to hallucinate: animal shapes in clouds; voices in their heads; secret messages in their cheerios; Jesus in the wallpaper.
Click dis:

?

Miss M.

• Screw you.
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 03:24:27 AM »
 :(There aren't any clouds outside today.
I happen to like GG.
I never thought in my life I'd write the sentence "I thought they were caught in a bipolar geodesic?"

Tao of Pooh

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 03:42:21 AM »
:(There aren't any clouds outside today.
Then I think you better pull out the cheerios!
Click dis:

?

Miss M.

• Screw you.
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 04:12:38 AM »
I think I saw Stone henge in the bottom of my teacup just now. Might have been a hedge with gaps though.
I happen to like GG.

Dioptimus Drime

• Meep.
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 11:05:10 AM »
These kinds of people make me giggle. There've been waffles selling on e-bay because there's some burns that "look like" significant religious figures. Ridiculous. But anyways, yeah, people will indefinitely see whatever they WANT to see, so...I guess there's your proof of that...

~D-Draw

?

Miss M.

• Screw you.
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 02:26:28 PM »
So if I look at my doorway, an apparition of John Depp in full pirate costume will appear? ;D
I happen to like GG.

beast

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2007, 05:36:49 PM »
A vivid imagination, mental instability/agitation, religious fervour all can cause a person to hallucinate: animal shapes in clouds; voices in their heads; secret messages in their cheerios; Jesus in the wallpaper.

Clearly those are not hallucinations at all.  The image does look like a person, I think the vast majority of people would agree.  Interpreting something as an image of a particular person is not a hallucination.

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2007, 05:40:27 PM »
I saw the face of Nelson in a cornflake once. I have it framed on my bedroom wall.

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2007, 05:59:05 PM »

Clearly those are not hallucinations at all.  The image does look like a person, I think the vast majority of people would agree.  Interpreting something as an image of a particular person is not a hallucination.

Ink Blot tests.
Quote from: BOGWarrior89

I'm giving you five points for that one

beast

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2007, 06:43:32 PM »
Hallucination; a sensory experience of something that does not exist outside the mind, caused by various physical and mental disorders, or by reaction to certain toxic substances, and usually manifested as visual or auditory images.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=hallucination

An inkblot test asks the subject to interpret the inkblots into images, this is obviously not a hallucination.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inkblot_test

?

cadmium_blimp

• funny, you thought I'd convert, didn't you?
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2007, 08:01:00 PM »
And all of those inkblots are obviously vaginas...

Ok, ok, I'm sorry.  I just couldn't resist.

Quote from: Commander Taggart
Never give up, never surrender!

Tao of Pooh

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2007, 12:34:14 AM »

To me it barely looks like a person, but I'll agree that interpreting a vague image is not strictly hallucinating. If I had to say who it looked like to me, it might be Bin Laden in a fur coat.
Click dis:

?

Miss M.

• Screw you.
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2007, 05:18:41 AM »
I saw the face of Nelson in a cornflake once. I have it framed on my bedroom wall.
cool lol.

I happen to like GG.

skeptical scientist

• -2 Flamebait
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2007, 02:42:50 PM »
-David
E pur si muove!

?

Miss M.

• Screw you.
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2007, 03:06:38 PM »
is that Washington?
I happen to like GG.

Tao of Pooh

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2007, 12:33:16 AM »

I seen that before! Did you know there is a whole website dedicated to that dog's asshole?
Click dis:

Rudd Master 3000

• Lil Kev
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2007, 03:03:35 AM »
It is bogus to interpret the image as a specific person but there's actually a reason why we see "jesus" (aka a face) in toast etc. and objects in clouds etc. There is a part of the brain devouted to facial recognition and another part that is devouted to recognising objects (others are also to do with motion, and there's others I just can't remember them). Our brains are hardwired to recognise things, if these parts of the brains don't work properly it can lead to some pretty interesting things happening. It's possible that if parts of the brain are damaged that you can't recognise any body's face (including a photograph of yourself) let alone see faces in things.

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2007, 08:19:36 AM »
It is bogus to interpret the image as a specific person but there's actually a reason why we see "jesus" (aka a face) in toast etc. and objects in clouds etc. There is a part of the brain devouted to facial recognition and another part that is devouted to recognising objects (others are also to do with motion, and there's others I just can't remember them). Our brains are hardwired to recognise things, if these parts of the brains don't work properly it can lead to some pretty interesting things happening. It's possible that if parts of the brain are damaged that you can't recognise any body's face (including a photograph of yourself) let alone see faces in things.

So, you're saying that if that woman never saw Jesus's picture, she wouldn't make the connection?

Rudd Master 3000

• Lil Kev
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2007, 06:55:01 PM »
I'm saying that the brain is hardwired to see faces (think about how random blotches can appear as a face). I'm saying that if the part of the brain that is hardwired to see faces was damaged she would not only be unable to distinguish people from one another but would also no longer see things like the man on the moon.

Her calling a bunch of blotches that resemble a face "jesus" is completely unfounded. If your brain's working properly you should  be able to see "faces" in things.

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2007, 07:36:15 AM »
I say, if she never saw Jesus, then she wouldn't see Jesus' face in things.  >:(

Rudd Master 3000

• Lil Kev
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2007, 08:55:08 AM »
How could she have seen Jesus unless she's a fair few centuries old?!  >:( >:( Sheebus!

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2007, 10:48:17 AM »
How could she have seen Jesus unless she's a fair few centuries old?!  >:( >:( Sheebus!

Art of Jesus

Rudd Master 3000

• Lil Kev
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2007, 11:10:44 AM »
Ah, so what she's really saying is those blotches look like some art I saw of Jesus.

Let's face, Jesus probably looked different to how most people imagine him.

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2007, 12:56:11 AM »
Ah, so what she's really saying is those blotches look like some art I saw of Jesus.

Let's face, Jesus probably looked different to how most people imagine him.

yeah, but it's not like she's seeing the real face of Jesus, just the image perpetrated by art and the bible.