Challenge to all Round Earthers

• 157 Replies

Round and Proud

• Speculative fiction writer
Re: Challenge to all Round Earthers
« Reply #150 on: September 12, 2016, 06:53:37 AM »
Yeah but when you get clearance you're allowed. Why do you continue to ignore the amatuer altitude record of 212k (about) feet Tom?

Class A
Class A airspace extends from 18,000 feet (5,500 m) mean sea level MSL to FL600 (approximately 60,000 feet (18,000 m) MSL) throughout the continental United States and Alaska.[2] Unlike the altitude measurements used in other airspace classes, the FLnnn flight levels used in class A airspace are pressure altitudes referenced to a standardized altimeter setting of 29.92" Hg and thus the true altitudes depend on local atmospheric pressure variations.

Unless otherwise authorized by ATC, all flight operations in class A airspace must be under ATC control, and must be operating IFR, under a clearance received prior to entry.
Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by legislation. Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime...

Round and Proud

« Reply #151 on: September 12, 2016, 07:01:16 AM »
He'll just say that he can't get clearance b/c it's a conspiracy.  Please, Tom, don't give us that answer and please show me where my rocket idea is wrong or how it won't work.

It's true that military airspace starts at 60,000 feet. Look it up or ask any pilot.

The rocket idea might work, but the very act of launching a rocket into military airspace can be seen as an offense. If your rocket escapes the military and returns to earth it's likely that the military will start an investigation on who built the rocket. Launching rockets into military airspace is very serious business. It's on the level of shooting a rocket onto military property.

If caught, you will be prosecuted in a military court.

Yeah but when you get clearance you're allowed. Why do you continue to ignore the amatuer altitude record of 212k (about) feet Tom?

Its possible that the amateur rocket team you're referring to was able to get genuine clearance from the military. Such clearance would come under a number of strict restrictions on what can and cannot be attached to the rocket, however.

Tom, care to post the FAR stating that above 60k feet requires Air Force clearance? Or the AFR?

You can't, because there are none. I am a pilot. And I did a search just to be sure. NADA.

But simple proof you statement is BS, is that over international waters it is also international air space and no military has jurisdiction. Oops.
Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by legislation. Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime...

« Reply #152 on: September 12, 2016, 07:04:13 AM »
GPS doesn't work that high though, because they don't want people building GPS guided missiles.
I wonder how obnoxious I can make my signature?
Please give me ideas.

Round and Proud

« Reply #153 on: September 12, 2016, 07:28:54 AM »
We can use the Round Earth model to accurately predict precisely where and when a solar eclipse will be visible.

Your move.

Have you actually used the "Round Earth model" to accurately predict precisely where and when a solar eclipse will be visible?

Can you show your work? (Google is not your work).

Could you understand it if it was posted?

« Reply #154 on: September 12, 2016, 07:30:57 AM »
BTW, OK working on predicting eclipses, with MS paint diagrams and  everything, it'll be done later today.
Please give me ideas.

« Reply #155 on: September 12, 2016, 07:52:15 AM »
Am I allowed to use google to find the current position of the moon and information about it's orbit?

Please give me ideas.

« Reply #156 on: September 12, 2016, 03:23:10 PM »
Okay, predicting eclipses without google 101.

Moon period is 27.3 days (.0748 years)(I used Google for this, but I didn't want to wait a month to do it myself.)
Using Kepler's third law, the semi-major axis is going to be (.07482/3)= .00257AU

moon's average distance= .00257AU
Sun's average distance= 1AU

moon is around 390 times closer than the sun.

moon's angular diameter= 31arcmin
sun's angular diameter= 30 arcmin

The moon should be completely eclipsed around around 40% of the time that it is annularly eclipsed (Kepler's second law)

lunar inclination is such that it only has two chances per earth year of eclipsing each orbit, and around 40% of those will be total.

so on average, around .8 total eclipses per earth year.

I haven't used google, so can anybody tell me how close I got?
Please give me ideas.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #157 on: September 13, 2016, 01:20:37 PM »
Okay, predicting eclipses without google 101.

Moon period is 27.3 days (.0748 years)(I used Google for this, but I didn't want to wait a month to do it myself.)
Using Kepler's third law, the semi-major axis is going to be (.07482/3)= .00257AU

moon's average distance= .00257AU
Sun's average distance= 1AU

moon is around 390 times closer than the sun.

moon's angular diameter= 31arcmin
sun's angular diameter= 30 arcmin

The moon should be completely eclipsed around around 40% of the time that it is annularly eclipsed (Kepler's second law)

lunar inclination is such that it only has two chances per earth year of eclipsing each orbit, and around 40% of those will be total.

so on average, around .8 total eclipses per earth year.

I haven't used google, so can anybody tell me how close I got?

If you didn't use Google, (or other search tool  ;) ), that is very impressive.