Radius of the Earth proves spherical

• 112 Replies

mightyfletch

• 14yr Meteorologist...because the Earth is round.
Radius of the Earth proves spherical
« on: March 08, 2007, 04:57:39 PM »
The surface distance from the North Pole to the Equator is 10,011.720km.  For this point, we're only going to use the Northern Hemisphere.

The circumference at the equator is 40,075.02km.

Using the formula 2*Pi*r=Circumference however, the circumference on a flat Earth would be 62,905.492km

FE Equatorial circumference=62,905.49km (38,087.66 miles) while the actual measured circumference is 40,075.02km (24,901.46),
a difference of   22830.47km  (14186.20 miles).

Therefore the Flat Earth is proven impossible.
Look up in the sky, it's a bird, no, it's a plane, no, it's the International Space Station!

?

Tom Bishop

Re: Radius of the Earth proves spherical
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 05:08:41 PM »
Therefore the Flat Earth is proven impossible.

Nope, sorry. Your math only demonstrates your ignorance and need to revisit middle school.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 05:10:26 PM by Tom Bishop »

mightyfletch

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 05:24:59 PM »
Here, I'll simplify it and show you step by step.

What's 2 times Pi?     About 6.28

what's 6.28 times 10,012?

about 62,900.  That would be the equatorial circumference of a flat Earth.

The true equatorial circumference is 40,075 km. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth  Earth's Measurements
http://www.csgnetwork.com/circlecalc.html Easy to use calculator
http://www.uwgb.edu/dutchs/geolwisc/geostops/halfway.htm shows 6222 miles or 10,012 as the distance from the North Pole to the Equator.
Look up in the sky, it's a bird, no, it's a plane, no, it's the International Space Station!

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 05:48:54 PM »
The surface distance from the North Pole to the Equator is 10,011.720km.  For this point, we're only going to use the Northern Hemisphere.

Did you measure those distances?

mightyfletch

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 06:09:32 PM »
NO, but the radius can be found by using a stopwatch.

http://spiff.rit.edu/classes/phys240/homework/earth_radius/earth_rad.html

Once you find the radius you can know all the attributes of the Earth.

EvilToothpaste

• The Reverse Engineer
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 06:15:08 PM »
My stopwatch doesn't have that function, and if it did I wouldn't trust it . . . because WTF?

No, I didn't read your link, sorry.

Now that I have read the article, it makes many assumptions about the shape and movement of the Earth.  Can you see what these assumptions are?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 06:17:54 PM by EvilToothpaste »

mightyfletch

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 06:27:31 PM »
My stopwatch doesn't have that function, and if it did I wouldn't trust it . . . because WTF?

No, I didn't read your link, sorry.

Now that I have read the article, it makes many assumptions about the shape and movement of the Earth.  Can you see what these assumptions are?

The observation can still be made on a disk. It all depends on when the Sun appears and disappears.  The Flat Earth model has a sunset and sunrise.  That's all that's needed.

mightyfletch

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 06:41:07 PM »
I don't mean to go off on a tangent or anything, but has anyone accounted for the acceleration towards the edge of the rotating Flat Earth which would cause sea-levels to be consistently and significantly greater as you move south? 

Not to mention the fact that a mere 150ft ice wall could not withstand the immense water pressure of such event.

If anyone even tries to say that the Earth doen't rotate, I will quickly put them in their place with atmospheric mechanics.

EvilToothpaste

• The Reverse Engineer
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 06:45:06 PM »
But with different assumptions we must make different conclusions based on the observation.  Assuming a flat Earth this observation would be a measure of the curvature of light (according to EricTheRed's thread on light-curvature). 

In either case, though, nothing about the shape or size (or anything) is proved because of the assumptions made. 

mightyfletch

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 07:02:18 PM »
But with different assumptions we must make different conclusions based on the observation.  Assuming a flat Earth this observation would be a measure of the curvature of light (according to EricTheRed's thread on light-curvature). 

In either case, though, nothing about the shape or size (or anything) is proved because of the assumptions made. 

True,  since your height is added to the distance from the center of the Earth(spherical radius). So you would already have to assume the Earth is a sphere in order to get the radius with this experiment.   

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 07:06:32 PM »
I don't mean to go off on a tangent or anything, but has anyone accounted for the acceleration towards the edge of the rotating Flat Earth which would cause sea-levels to be consistently and significantly greater as you move south? 

Not to mention the fact that a mere 150ft ice wall could not withstand the immense water pressure of such event.

If anyone even tries to say that the Earth doen't rotate, I will quickly put them in their place with atmospheric mechanics.
Who said the flat earth is rotating?

School me in atmospheric mechanics!!!

mightyfletch

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 07:21:03 PM »

Everyone on this forum when given this issue has said just that. 

Coriolis Effect can only occur on a rotating body.  Coriolis effect is the reason for Buys Ballot's Law that when you stand with your back against the wind lower pressure is to your left in the Northern hemisphere.  Also, Vorticity is stronger towards the poles since the Coriolis effect is much stronger.  Also, the Subtropical jet is formed as Coriolis force causes it to recurve back to the Equator inducing the conservation of angular momentum thereby producing higher winds. 

The Coriolis force would be much much stronger on a flat disk than on a sphere.  Not to mention the fact that cyclonic rotation in the southern hemisphere is in opposite direction from that of the Northern hemisphere  which would be impossible on a flat Earth.

Would you like me to elaborate?

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2007, 07:41:07 PM »

Everyone on this forum when given this issue has said just that. 

Coriolis Effect can only occur on a rotating body.  Coriolis effect is the reason for Buys Ballot's Law that when you stand with your back against the wind lower pressure is to your left in the Northern hemisphere.  Also, Vorticity is stronger towards the poles since the Coriolis effect is much stronger.  Also, the Subtropical jet is formed as Coriolis force causes it to recurve back to the Equator inducing the conservation of angular momentum thereby producing higher winds. 

The Coriolis force would be much much stronger on a flat disk than on a sphere.  Not to mention the fact that cyclonic rotation in the southern hemisphere is in opposite direction from that of the Northern hemisphere  which would be impossible on a flat Earth.

Would you like me to elaborate?
The Coriolis effect is caused by the container that holds the atmosphere on the flat earth.  The flat earth does not rotate. 

mightyfletch

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2007, 07:54:22 PM »
The Coriolis effect is caused by the container that holds the atmosphere on the flat earth.  The flat earth does not rotate. 
So much for your knowledge of atmospheric mechanics.

Please describe the arcane properties that your mystical container posesses that allow it to spin rising parcels of air counter-clockwise and sinking parcels of air clockwise.

The atmosphere is not the only thing that reacts to the coriolis force.  If you fill a large flat circular container with about an inch of water and a small hole in the center, allowing it a couple of weeks to stop moving, and drain the water, you will see the coriolis effect manifested.   

Also, the ocean currents are formed by the Coriolis force.  Only they go clockwise in the Northern hemisphere and counter-clockwise in the Southern Hemisphere. 

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2007, 08:09:27 PM »
I'm simply trying to come up with an FE response.  I don't actually believe this shit. 

mightyfletch

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2007, 08:14:13 PM »
No sweat dude

mightyfletch

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2007, 08:16:43 PM »
I often wonder who really does.

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2007, 08:25:19 PM »
It seems as though there might be a couple people on here that truly believe the earth is flat, but it's hard to tell.

mightyfletch

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2007, 08:31:03 PM »
It seems as though there might be a couple people on here that truly believe the earth is flat, but it's hard to tell.

It is quite an excercise to come up with good defenses.  Before this forum I did not know you could measure the Earth's radius
with a stopwatch.  I had to look that one up.  As for the weather stuff, I use this knowledge everyday to forecast for the Air Force.  I guess that means I must be a part of the force behind the government cover up.

I think a good argument to debunk the curved horizon would be the whole bending light theory that explains the sun rises and sunsets.

EvilToothpaste

• The Reverse Engineer
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2007, 08:33:17 PM »
Check out the "True Believers" forum, Mr Fletch.

Franc T., Planar

• Leader of the Planar Army, Republic of Canada
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2007, 05:21:41 PM »

Your argument starts with a falsehood. There is no "circumference at the equator." Sorry, but you lose.
Broadcasting live from the Republic of Canada!

They say death and taxes are the only two absolutes. Actually, they're only half right.

EvilToothpaste

• The Reverse Engineer
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2007, 05:34:45 PM »

Your argument starts with a falsehood. There is no "circumference at the equator." Sorry, but you lose.
WHAT are you TALKING about? 

Franc T., Planar

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2007, 05:35:39 PM »

WHAT are you TALKING about? 

His argument assumes there is a "circumference at the equator." There is no such thing. The Earth is not round.

They say death and taxes are the only two absolutes. Actually, they're only half right.

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2007, 05:39:46 PM »
So a flat circle cannot have a circumfrence either?

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2007, 05:41:00 PM »
Go to the equator. GO AROUND THE PLANET FOLLOWING THE EQUATOR.
GEE I THINK YOU JUST TRAVELED THE CIRCUMFERENCE OF THE EQUATOR.
By the way,t hat IS CIRCUMFERENCE before you make an excuse. An dI know you're probably sitting at your computer thinking of one.

Franc T., Planar

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2007, 05:41:21 PM »
Who said the Earth was a circle?

EvilToothpaste

• The Reverse Engineer
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2007, 05:45:29 PM »
Who said the Earth was a circle?
Here we go with another very interesting alternate Earth geometry...

There is no Equator, you RE idiot.
It's an imaginary circle . . .

EvilToothpaste

• The Reverse Engineer
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2007, 06:02:49 PM »
Yes I believe the Equator is an imaginary circle.  You think it is not imaginary? 

Franc T., Planar

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2007, 06:05:14 PM »
Yes I believe the Equator is an imaginary circle.  You think it is not imaginary? 

I don't believe in imaginary circles, I only believe in reality. There is no such thing as the "Equator." No circles can be "imagined" on the Earth that have any geographical significance.

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2007, 06:07:32 PM »
It's just referred to imaginary because it isn't visible, whereas it actually DOES get hotter, near the equator, and it marks the meet between the north and south hemipheres.
Also, I'm not posting every few seconds ecause I'm ACTUALLY DOING SOMETHING ELSE
OH GOD WHAT A HORRIBLE CONCEPT