On Railroad Tracks (From Flat Earth News)

• 43 Replies
On Railroad Tracks (From Flat Earth News)
« on: March 07, 2007, 07:41:43 AM »
So I was reading Flat Earth News, the first issue actually. It was about railroad tracks. It says, as far as Charles Johnson could find out, engineers and people who lay tracks had never heard of taking into account the curvature of the earth when laying tracks.

I have a few questions on this:
1. Do any FEers still use this arguement?
2. Can anyone tell me then, how tracks are laid going up mountains and down hills? ARe there any curved tracks what soever?
3. Is this arguement proved false by the fact that they don't lay the tracks over a perfect earth? WHat I mean is, they may not have to take into account any curvature because they are going up and down hills and through valleys and what not and land is not the best way to survey th possible curvature of the earth, as far as I know.

Did anyone else here that those really long bridges sometimes have to take in account the curvature of the earth? I don't know if this is true or not.
"Oh, judge, your damn laws: the good people don't need them and the bad people don't follow them so what good are they?"

It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets

Re: On Railroad Tracks (From Flat Earth News)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 08:13:33 AM »
This has been talked about in Earth: Not a globe, please refer to the faq, the book is linked there

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 08:16:51 AM »
Yes very long suspension bridges do not have parallel towers due to the curvature of the Earth. The Humber Bridge in Hull has a 1.4 inch difference between top and bottom.

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 08:18:44 AM »
Yes very long suspension bridges do not have parallel towers due to the curvature of the Earth. The Humber Bridge in Hull has a 1.4 inch difference between top and bottom.

That is a lie, where is your proof?

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 08:19:50 AM »
The people that built it said so. As far as I'm aware they are not employed by NASA.

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 08:25:54 AM »
This has been talked about in Earth: Not a globe, please refer to the faq, the book is linked there

If you read my post, I already have read an article from Flat Earth News about this. I just want to be updated on how this proves the earth flat.
I know you answer no questions and tell people to refer the FAQ. I have read it probaly more than you also(2).
"Oh, judge, your damn laws: the good people don't need them and the bad people don't follow them so what good are they?"

It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 08:27:32 AM »
You need to ignore Earth is flat consult FAQ and also Astronomer 101.

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 08:28:33 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humber_Bridge

The towers, although both vertical, are not parallel, being 36 mm further apart at the top than the bottom as a result of the curvature of the earth.
In FE Literature there are three celestial bodies that inhabit the sky. The Sun. The Moon. And the Shadow Object.
You have performed an illegal operation. Tom Bishop will now shut down, you will lose all unsaved arguments.

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 08:35:18 AM »
I would like to hear a FEers take on this now.

I already know whatTom's response will be:"The engineer's results were planted by the head of the Conspiracy" or "They don't know what they are talking about. Their results are messed up because they are under the impression of the earth being flat so they took it into account anyway."

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 08:43:09 AM »
As far as I'm aware they just build the towers vertical and they just end up not parallel because they are so far apart and the Earth is in fact curved.

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 08:47:05 AM »
As far as I'm aware they just build the towers vertical and they just end up not parallel because they are so far apart and the Earth is in fact curved.

This may be.

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2007, 09:01:42 AM »

If you read my post, I already have read an article from Flat Earth News about this. I just want to be updated on how this proves the earth flat.
I know you answer no questions and tell people to refer the FAQ. I have read it probaly more than you also(2).

Who the hell would care about the curvature of the earth when laying tracks when there are hills and such all over.

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2007, 09:04:56 AM »
haha i know eird

also someone posted evidence from wikipedia, you do realise wikipedia articles can be edited/written by anyone? including the government...

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2007, 09:07:54 AM »
haha i know eird

also someone posted evidence from wikipedia, you do realise wikipedia articles can be edited/written by anyone? including the government...

I GOT IT!  I'll edit a wiki article and then use it as proof!

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2007, 09:19:52 AM »
haha i know eird

The History, Discovery, or The learning channel is where I heard the info about the bridge supports not being parallel
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2007, 09:30:19 AM »
haha i know eird

Except that you yourself can measure the information, if it wasnt true other people would edit it to be the truth.

Other source:

http://www.humberbridge.co.uk/interest.php
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 09:35:02 AM by MooBs »
In FE Literature there are three celestial bodies that inhabit the sky. The Sun. The Moon. And the Shadow Object.
You have performed an illegal operation. Tom Bishop will now shut down, you will lose all unsaved arguments.

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2007, 09:37:33 AM »
haha i know eird

Actually, if one were to read the article, the information that says they take into account the curvature of the earth in the building of the bridge is cited from a non-wikipedia site.

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2007, 09:49:51 AM »
Well then the websites are part of the conspiracy, anyone can make a website telling lies... no please dont say this website is one of them

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2007, 09:52:04 AM »
I've said it already, read Earth: Not a globe

Feel free to do any of those experiments and report back. 
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2007, 10:20:50 AM »
Well then the websites are part of the conspiracy, anyone can make a website telling lies... no please dont say this website is one of them

Anyone can make a website telling lies, such as this for instance but the fact is, anyone can measure the difference, so 1) Go prove they are wrong or 2) be quiet.

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2007, 10:27:05 AM »

Anyone can make a website telling lies, such as this for instance but the fact is, anyone can measure the difference, so 1) Go prove they are wrong or 2) be quiet.

ive said this many times now u retarded illiterate RE noobs, its all been proven already in earth: not a globe, why are u telling me to do the experiments and report back? theyve been done already and the results are in the book

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2007, 10:29:59 AM »
So explain why the bridge doesnt slope but the height of the supports differ?

?

Tom Bishop

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2007, 11:40:31 AM »

You will have to prove that the bridge does not slope and that the height of the supports differ.

When promoting his product an engineer will say all sorts of outlandish things about his product, stretching the truth. Knowing that no one will ever push his design to the limit, or call him out on his claims, he is free to fabricate an approximation of details and specs. It is for this reason that in studies hard drives fall below the advertised storage space, and why engines fall short by a few degrees of its advertised miles per gallon.

It's east to claim something. It's quite another to prove it.

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2007, 11:45:07 AM »

You will have to prove that the bridge does not slope and that the height of the supports differ.

When promoting his product an engineer will say all sorts of outlandish things about his product, stretching the truth. Knowing that no one will ever push his design to the limit, or call him out on his claims, he is free to fabricate an approximation of details and specs. It is for this reason that in studies hard drives fall below the advertised storage space, and why engines fall short by a few degrees of its advertised miles per gallon.

OK Tom, you go see how easy it is to measure the height of the pillars/the angle of a 2000ft bridge.

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2007, 12:00:08 PM »

Thank you mister Tom Bishop for not answering the original questions of this thread.
You direct new people of this site to Flat Earth News which makes a claim it doesn't seem you are willing to back up.
Ignore everything, Tom Bishop, and answer the questions originally put forward.

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2007, 12:03:04 PM »
The questions put forward are ludicrous and are already explained, there is no need to waste our time explaining.

Good day

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2007, 12:07:37 PM »
The questions put forward are ludicrous and are already explained, there is no need to waste our time explaining.

Good day

Dude,
You remind me of my best friends brother. A jerk, plus he eats his own pubic hair.

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2007, 12:49:51 PM »
Your mum is one giant pubic hair

YL Groper

• Supreme Allied Commander of a local N.I.G.G.A.
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2007, 01:45:26 PM »

Dum dum dum dum dum.....
N.I.G.G.A. stole my bike, sir!

~D-Draw

N.I.G.G.A. Saved me alot of money on my car insurance.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2007, 01:53:49 PM »

ive said this many times now u retarded illiterate RE noobs, its all been proven already in earth: not a globe, why are u telling me to do the experiments and report back? theyve been done already and the results are in the book
Please paraphrase experiment o lets say 7.  I asked tom to do this one day and he couldn't.  He had no idea what those experiments were actually saying.  So give it a shot. 
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER