Pascal's Wager

• 143 Replies
Re: Pascal's Wager
« Reply #120 on: June 06, 2008, 07:56:04 PM »
Do you really have any serious doubts that it is better to deal honestly and charitably with others than to deliberately hurt and take unfair advantage of them whenever you feel you can get away with it?  If so, I hope I never have to have any business or social dealings with you!

The one thing that preachers consistently get right is the importance of treating others as you would like them to treat you.  I have found time and again that trying to live that principle is more conducive to real happiness and well being than any material advantage or influence that can be obtained by deliberately hurting or taking unfair advantage of others.  Failure to practice that principle has been and still is the cause of some of the worst miseries that beset mankind.  Failure to realize that is very nearly as foolish as believing that the Earth is flat!

This principle works regardless of whether there is any such thing as a hereafter, and even whether or not God exists (both of which I seriously doubt, by the way).

Guessed

« Reply #121 on: June 06, 2008, 07:58:20 PM »
Do you really have any serious doubts that it is better to deal honestly and charitably with others than to deliberately hurt and take unfair advantage of them whenever you feel you can get away with it?  If so, I hope I never have to have any business or social dealings with you!

The one thing that preachers consistently get right is the importance of treating others as you would like them to treat you.  I have found time and again that trying to live that principle is more conducive to real happiness and well being than any material advantage or influence that can be obtained by deliberately hurting or taking unfair advantage of others.  Failure to practice that principle has been and still is the cause of some of the worst miseries that beset mankind.  Failure to realize that is very nearly as foolish as believing that the Earth is flat!

This principle works regardless of whether there is any such thing as a hereafter, and even whether or not God exists (both of which I seriously doubt, by the way).

I don't have doubt, I simply question your definition "honesty" and "unfair" define them.
Is Dino open source?

Quote from: grogberries

« Reply #122 on: June 06, 2008, 10:34:34 PM »
From Mirriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, Tenth Edition:

Honesty: fairness and straightforwardness of conduct: adherence to the facts: sincerity

unfair: 1: marked by injustice, paritiality or deception: unjust 2: not equitable in business dealings

« Reply #123 on: June 06, 2008, 10:39:07 PM »
This is not a difficult concept!  Why are you trying to make it one?

Guessed

« Reply #124 on: June 06, 2008, 10:40:29 PM »
From Mirriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, Tenth Edition:

Honesty: fairness and straightforwardness of conduct: adherence to the facts: sincerity

unfair: 1: marked by injustice, paritiality or deception: unjust 2: not equitable in business dealings

Define fairness and straightforwardness. What constitutes each.Universal examples only, i don't care what the dictionary says or what particular groups do.. Also, define injustice and what is equitable.
Is Dino open source?

« Reply #125 on: June 06, 2008, 11:13:27 PM »
I get the distinct impression that no matter what words I could use to define these terms you would simply ask me to define those words in turn and then the words I use to define them, and so on in an infinite regression that would get neither of us anywhere. 

Straightforwardness is simply being what you say you are and doing what you say you will do.  I realize, of course, that most, if not all of us, come somewhat short of that ideal from time to time, but there can't be any reasonable doubt that it is a worthy ideal -- not in my mind, anyway.  If you don't think so, I hope I will never have the misfortune of meeting and having to deal with you in person.

As an example of unfairness, suppose I contract with you to provide a product or a service in exchange for something from you and then refuse to provide what I promised after getting from you what I wanted.  Would you accept that as valid example of unfairness?  Or how about if someone faked an injury on your property in order to sue you for everything he could get from you, would you regard that as unfair?  I could easily come up with many examples of conduct that would satisfy any reasonable person's criterion for unfairness or dishonesty.  I imagine your only response to that would be to demand that I define reasonable, and then to define any conceivable word I could possibly come up with to try to satisfy that demand.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 11:25:34 PM by Gunnar »

« Reply #126 on: June 06, 2008, 11:16:50 PM »
by the way, how do you define "define."

« Reply #127 on: June 06, 2008, 11:23:38 PM »
It's always safe to assume someone agrees with you when they have no argument except the one that's for the sake of it.

Guessed

« Reply #128 on: June 07, 2008, 01:26:36 AM »
I get the distinct impression that no matter what words I could use to define these terms you would simply ask me to define those words in turn and then the words I use to define them, and so on in an infinite regression that would get neither of us anywhere. 

Straightforwardness is simply being what you say you are and doing what you say you will do.  I realize, of course, that most, if not all of us, come somewhat short of that ideal from time to time, but there can't be any reasonable doubt that it is a worthy ideal -- not in my mind, anyway.  If you don't think so, I hope I will never have the misfortune of meeting and having to deal with you in person.

As an example of unfairness, suppose I contract with you to provide a product or a service in exchange for something from you and then refuse to provide what I promised after getting from you what I wanted.  Would you accept that as valid example of unfairness?  Or how about if someone faked an injury on your property in order to sue you for everything he could get from you, would you regard that as unfair?  I could easily come up with many examples of conduct that would satisfy any reasonable person's criterion for unfairness or dishonesty.  I imagine your only response to that would be to demand that I define reasonable, and then to define any conceivable word I could possibly come up with to try to satisfy that demand.

I was maintaining that neither of those things has a set definition.  Your examples may be applicable to yourself, just as they may be applicable to me, but they are not applicable universally. That was my point. It is a sliding scale.
Is Dino open source?

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #129 on: June 07, 2008, 05:08:42 AM »

I dunno about that. I find it much more fun and rewarding to take unfair advantage of others.
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

Dead Kangaroo

• FES' Anchor Roo
  • The Elder Ones
  • K800 Model 101.
« Reply #130 on: June 07, 2008, 12:36:15 PM »
Don't disagree with me, it's  the wrong thing to do.

Whatever I say is true because I said it.

Whenever I make a statement I'm right until you prove I'm wrong.

Benocrates

• Canadian Philosopher
« Reply #131 on: June 08, 2008, 07:22:28 AM »

You're getting ripped on, because your arguments are all surface ones. Guessed is getting you to define, because you use terms like better, good, best, right, wrong, etc.. without having any claim to their definition.

I've read your arguments briefly, and it seems you're an atheist. So, who determines the Good, True, Beautiful. How, without a coherent definition of those concepts, make claims about what is inherently these qualities. Go deeper, right now we're wading in the shallow end, amid the urine pools of all amateur philosophies, languishing in petty brevity.
Quote from: President Barack Obama
Pot had helped
Get the fuck over it.

Guessed

« Reply #132 on: June 08, 2008, 08:59:03 AM »

You're getting ripped on, because your arguments are all surface ones. Guessed is getting you to define, because you use terms like better, good, best, right, wrong, etc.. without having any claim to their definition.

I've read your arguments briefly, and it seems you're an atheist. So, who determines the Good, True, Beautiful. How, without a coherent definition of those concepts, make claims about what is inherently these qualities. Go deeper, right now we're wading in the shallow end, amid the urine pools of all amateur philosophies, languishing in petty brevity.

Jesus you're a drama-queen.
Is Dino open source?

Benocrates

• Canadian Philosopher
« Reply #133 on: June 08, 2008, 05:55:56 PM »
you're just jealous of effective imagery...lol
Pot had helped
Get the fuck over it.

Sean O'Grady

• Flat Earth Theorist
« Reply #134 on: June 09, 2008, 07:29:12 AM »
Loving and helping others should be done because it is the right thing to do, not out of any expectation of reward or punishment in the hereafter for doing or not doing so!

Wow, what a compelling argument - the same compelling argument I've heard from every other preacher.

Are you disagreeing? If so then don't be such a fallacious hypocrite and come with at least half a counter-argument.

I definitely disagree that there is "the right thing to do" and I also think that anybody claiming that their moral viewpoint is the right viewpoint might have a little god complex.

How can I put up a counter-argument when they just make the claim that there is a "right" thing to do without enlightening us as to how they came to know what it is - perhaps it was divine revelation? Tell me, have you found a 'moralitron'? Have you discovered that missing link between descriptive and normative language?

As far as I've found all morality is in the end consequentialism (even 'absolutism' if you think about it). Whether or not I agree with his moral claims about what is beneficial behaviour or not is completely irrelevant to what I was saying: morality is subjective.

« Reply #135 on: June 09, 2008, 07:46:28 AM »
So you don't have anything to add apart from the now standard response around here "lol morality is subjective" like it's some brilliant and controversial view point that nobody has ever heard before. You know we get this topic cropping up a lot on here and always the same old responses get spewed out all over the place like some kind of regurgitated shit pudding.

I'm tired of it, nobody has a clue what they're saying they just spout it out because they're trying desperately to go against the grain, never once thinking about the topic at hand just reacting to the buttons being pressed. You know what? I know morality is subjective. It's probably one of the most obvious and simple concepts that I know of.

When you say "I disagree there is a right thing to do" you are lying. You don't disagree, you've been conditioned to disagree by several things such as forums like this one, literature and the age we live in in general where religious dogma is slowly dying away and being replaced by a new dogma which I call "fucking idiot dogma". What you say is correct but you have no idea why you're saying it. I love it when people come barging into a thread like this and start shouting about morality and subjectivness and religion when they haven't a fucking clue what they're talking about or even why they think the way they do.

Here's the big fucking surprise for you though. I never mentioned morality. You did, and I knew you would because you don't have any ideas you just react in the standard way that you know how. So where does that leave your argument? Redundancy.

So why don't you use that brain of yours that you're obviously so proud of and actually do some thinking of your own. You might actually realise that there's nothing wrong with loving and helping people; let's face it, the only reason you so religiously subsrcibe to this new age dogma is because you're scared. Think about what I've said before you reply because so far you've given nothing to this thread; absolutely nothing.

Sean O'Grady

• Flat Earth Theorist
« Reply #136 on: June 09, 2008, 08:33:47 AM »
No surprises there, hence why I made it clear what I was disagreeing about in the first sentence.

I won't bother disagreeing with your view of me because one thing I've certainly learned from internet forums is that when somebody thinks they know you inside and out (from where you get your views, whether you're lying and whether you comprehend what you're saying, motives for doing things, etc.) from a few posts there's not really anything you can do to convince them otherwise.

So to sum up:
  • Gunnar posts mostly regurgitated shit pudding about pascal's wager
  • I make a jibe at him for using a moral absolutist term which is somewhat ironic given the subject (as I am conditioned to so)
  • You, the only purely unconditioned person in the world that is full of original shit pudding, have a go at me for making a jibe at a term he used rather than making a statement about his regurgitated shit pudding.

If that's not accurate enough please feel free to correct otherwise I'm happy to put it to bed. I've added my redundant two-cents and you've added your redundant two-cents.

In a new line of thought, how can one know the difference between something they disagree with and what they've been conditioned to disagree with? What is the difference?

Benocrates

• Canadian Philosopher
« Reply #137 on: June 09, 2008, 01:39:52 PM »
Kasroa, clearly moral relativism is a tired issue here, but it's not necessarily easy. For people so used to a standard right and wrong, the concept of subjective morality, being the only legitimate source of morality, is pretty radical.

If you understand it well, do those who don't a favor and explain it to them...or just direct them to another thread...it's what I try to do.
Pot had helped
Get the fuck over it.

« Reply #138 on: June 09, 2008, 02:05:09 PM »
I would if he'd said anything incorrect but he never. What I disagree with is the standard knee-jerk response about morality being subjective when morality is not always the issue.

For example, where does morality come in to, say, a parent stopping their child from falling off a cliff? It's not a moral issue it's a preservation issue and that is something, as animals, we cannot escape when no external factors are involved. It is a fact that it's the right thing to do, but nobody ever thinks about it like that they just want to be the one who points out the subjectivness of morality. If anyone would like to claim it's not the right thing to do then feel free but at least back it up. And that's my scenario not some crazy new one where the parent could save their other 9 children by letting one die.

Going back to the more general terms of loving and helping others it extends beyond immediate family so there will always be instances where they are the best things to do and those instances would be a vast majority in my opinion. I believe there is an evolutionary reason why doing such things usually makes you feel good. I don't think it's a coincidence.

Benocrates

• Canadian Philosopher
« Reply #139 on: June 09, 2008, 02:06:04 PM »
YES! Bill Maher is finally doing a movie on religion. Be prepared for some religious ridiculousness.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/lions_gate/religulous/
Pot had helped
Get the fuck over it.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #140 on: June 09, 2008, 04:06:55 PM »
So you don't have anything to add apart from the now standard response around here "lol morality is subjective" like it's some brilliant and controversial view point that nobody has ever heard before. You know we get this topic cropping up a lot on here and always the same old responses get spewed out all over the place like some kind of regurgitated shit pudding.

I'm tired of it, nobody has a clue what they're saying they just spout it out because they're trying desperately to go against the grain, never once thinking about the topic at hand just reacting to the buttons being pressed. You know what? I know morality is subjective. It's probably one of the most obvious and simple concepts that I know of.

When you say "I disagree there is a right thing to do" you are lying. You don't disagree, you've been conditioned to disagree by several things such as forums like this one, literature and the age we live in in general where religious dogma is slowly dying away and being replaced by a new dogma which I call "fucking idiot dogma". What you say is correct but you have no idea why you're saying it. I love it when people come barging into a thread like this and start shouting about morality and subjectivness and religion when they haven't a fucking clue what they're talking about or even why they think the way they do.

Here's the big fucking surprise for you though. I never mentioned morality. You did, and I knew you would because you don't have any ideas you just react in the standard way that you know how. So where does that leave your argument? Redundancy.

So why don't you use that brain of yours that you're obviously so proud of and actually do some thinking of your own. You might actually realise that there's nothing wrong with loving and helping people; let's face it, the only reason you so religiously subsrcibe to this new age dogma is because you're scared. Think about what I've said before you reply because so far you've given nothing to this thread; absolutely nothing.

Sometimes I love you
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

Benocrates

• Canadian Philosopher
« Reply #141 on: June 14, 2008, 09:40:26 AM »
Back onto Pascals Wager..." class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer"> Perfect response...as close to perfect as you can get.

Oh, and this reminds me of a story from first year. I had just heard Pascals Wager, realized how bullshit it was when in the caf bathroom, so wrote on the stall: Fuck Pascal. When I came back to it a few weeks later, there was a theological discussion scrawled all over the stall...on both sides. Apparently, in private people feel strongly about Pascal.
Pot had helped
Get the fuck over it.

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #142 on: June 14, 2008, 12:07:28 PM »
Back onto Pascals Wager..." class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer"> Perfect response...as close to perfect as you can get.

Oh, and this reminds me of a story from first year. I had just heard Pascals Wager, realized how bullshit it was when in the caf bathroom, so wrote on the stall: Fuck Pascal. When I came back to it a few weeks later, there was a theological discussion scrawled all over the stall...on both sides. Apparently, in private people feel strongly about Pascal.

Well, its kinda a bullocks programming language.
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.

narcberry

• Official Flat Earth Society Spokesman/min
« Reply #143 on: June 14, 2008, 03:25:06 PM »
Yet they still teach it.

No seriously, one day you might use it! Brush up on your Fortran too!