Pascal's Wager

• 143 Replies
Re: Pascal's Wager
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2008, 05:11:25 AM »
Christianity and agnosticism are the only choices if you are a Christian deciding whether or not God exists.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2008, 10:33:48 AM »
  •     * You believe in God.
              o If God exists, you go to heaven: your gain is infinite.
              o If God does not exist, your loss (the investment in your mistaken belief) is finite and therefore negligible.
        * You do not believe in God.
              o If God exists, you go to hell: your loss is infinite.
              o If God does not exist, your gain is finite and therefore negligible.

From a purely logical standpoint, shouldn't everyone believe in God?

No, because this logic is flawed. It most glaringly makes the flase dichotomy of "Either Strong Atheism is true, or Christianity is true (Heaven, Hell, etc)". This is clearly not the case, as there are a vast number of afterlife scenarios, both within and without Christianity (Buddhism, Hinduism, even my own Wicca).
Pascals Wager gets thrown around a lot by dumb asses. Pascal wrote it for people actively trying to decide if they should continue being Christian, between Christianity and agnosticism only. It makes sense with this reference.

It still makes no sense, regardless of the context. If you were to assume Christianity to be the only alternative, then it would...but that assumption clearly can't be made. I didn't read the whole thread, but has anyone made the point that belief can't be forced or faked?

That's always been the strongest argument against Pascal's Wager, to me.  It assumes that we have some kind of rational control over what we believe and that's just nonsensical.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2008, 10:37:27 AM »
Dunno if I posted in this thread already but basically the wager is flawed because God would not let you into heaven if the only reason you believe in him is because of Pascal's wager.

/thread

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2008, 12:19:31 PM »
This is probably the weakest justification for religious belief. It might be more applicable if there were only one religion, only two choices: theism, or atheism. Then one might be a theist simply as a sort of insurance policy. But there are thousands of religions. If you choose to believe in the Christian God "just in case", what happens if Allah turns out to be the true god, or any of the pagan or Hindu or Zoroastrian gods? And even provided you chose the correct deity, an unlikely circumstance in any case, mightn't that deity be angered by the fact that you only chose his/her/its religion out of convenience?
That doesn't change the wager. There are no religions that I know of that punish you more for having a different belief.... They usually just punish for lack of belief.

EvilToothpaste

• The Reverse Engineer
« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2008, 12:57:10 PM »
I didn't read the whole thread, but has anyone made the point that belief can't be forced or faked?

To answer your question Beno, I do believe that point has been made somewhere in this thread.  Or if not this one, one of the other threads about the exact same wager. 

Christianity and agnosticism are the only choices if you are a Christian deciding whether or not God exists.

Athalus, I agree with you in that it is the context in which Pascal considered the wager.  When considered from another point of view it lacks meaning. 

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2008, 03:11:35 PM »
I didn't read the whole thread, but has anyone made the point that belief can't be forced or faked?

To answer your question Beno, I do believe that point has been made somewhere in this thread.  Or if not this one, one of the other threads about the exact same wager. 

Athalus, I agree with you in that it is the context in which Pascal considered the wager.  When considered from another point of view it lacks meaning. 
How so? The possible outcomes are the same, when choosing between Christianity and being an atheist. If you bring in other religions then yes, it doesn't work, but that isn't the wager and is a fallacious argument at best.

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2008, 03:12:11 PM »
Pascal's wager assume that reason has no say in whether or not God exists.  It is only valid in that case, ignoring all the other minor arguments.  That is the context. 
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2008, 03:18:38 PM »
Pascal's wager assume that reason has no say in whether or not God exists.  It is only valid in that case, ignoring all the other minor arguments.  That is the context. 
And that the choice is between christianity and atheism. The argument itself states those two as the choices.

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2008, 03:24:17 PM »
In which case the point is the same, the game theory and math just slightly harder. ;-)
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.

Benocrates

• Canadian Philosopher
« Reply #69 on: May 28, 2008, 01:34:17 PM »
uh...Pascals wager is bollocks.

/thread

Now that that's taken care of, let's derail this shit!
Quote from: President Barack Obama
Pot had helped
Get the fuck over it.

Guessed

« Reply #70 on: May 28, 2008, 01:39:35 PM »

/thread

Gayer won't be happy you derailed it first.
Is Dino open source?

Quote from: grogberries

Benocrates

• Canadian Philosopher
« Reply #71 on: May 28, 2008, 01:41:23 PM »

/thread

Wasn't me...could be anything. Looks tropical, so probably bad engineering or design...the third world has shitty safety standards.
Pot had helped
Get the fuck over it.

Guessed

« Reply #72 on: May 28, 2008, 01:47:52 PM »

/thread

Wasn't me...could be anything. Looks tropical, so probably bad engineering or design...the third world has shitty safety standards.

Third rate safety standards, amirite?
Is Dino open source?

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #73 on: May 28, 2008, 02:06:54 PM »

/thread

You're right there

No derailing without me damnit!
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

« Reply #74 on: May 28, 2008, 02:09:33 PM »
That looks like the 4:35 to Manchester Piccadilly.

Guessed

« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2008, 03:07:52 PM »
Right on time
Is Dino open source?

« Reply #76 on: May 28, 2008, 07:49:47 PM »

/thread

Great argument  ::)

narcberry

• Official Flat Earth Society Spokesman/min
« Reply #77 on: May 28, 2008, 07:54:33 PM »
              o If God does not exist, your loss (the investment in your mistaken belief) is finite and therefore negligible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal's_Wager

I believe in God, but by no means from that logic. I don't have time in my life to believe in everything that that logic would require.
ie. believe in the poisonous ooze living in the sun that will eat your soul if you don't believe in him, but grants eternal booty to those that do...

Benocrates

• Canadian Philosopher
« Reply #78 on: May 29, 2008, 04:53:35 AM »

I believe in God, but by no means from that logic. I don't have time in my life to believe in everything that that logic would require.
ie. believe in the poisonous ooze living in the sun that will eat your soul if you don't believe in him, but grants eternal booty to those that do...

Nobody asked you...
Pot had helped
Get the fuck over it.

Guessed

« Reply #79 on: May 29, 2008, 08:38:03 AM »

Nobody asked you...

Be nice, Beno, you used to enjoy debates.
Is Dino open source?

Benocrates

• Canadian Philosopher
« Reply #80 on: May 29, 2008, 01:42:29 PM »

Nobody asked you...

I'll debate anyone legitimate, I disdain trolls. Narc is a particularly annoying xtian troll, the worst kind.
Pot had helped
Get the fuck over it.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #81 on: May 29, 2008, 01:50:31 PM »

Nobody asked you...

I'll debate anyone legitimate, I disdain trolls. Narc is a particularly annoying xtian troll, the worst kind.

Do you disdain me?
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #82 on: May 29, 2008, 07:45:15 PM »

Nobody asked you...

Do you disdain me?

No, you are a charming Lovely Country Troll.  You we like.   ;)
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #83 on: May 30, 2008, 05:08:27 AM »

Nobody asked you...

Do you disdain me?

I'm not a troll  >:(

Guessed

« Reply #84 on: May 30, 2008, 09:34:25 AM »

Nobody asked you...

Do you disdain me?

I'm  a troll in denial  >:(

Fix'd
Is Dino open source?

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #85 on: May 30, 2008, 02:00:54 PM »

Nobody asked you...

Do you disdain me?

Fix'd

Git

Guessed

« Reply #86 on: May 30, 2008, 02:04:50 PM »

Nobody asked you...

Do you disdain me?

Fix'd

Git

I just calls 'em as I sees 'em.
Is Dino open source?

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #87 on: May 30, 2008, 02:21:30 PM »
Whatever

Benocrates

• Canadian Philosopher
« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2008, 02:39:53 PM »
Do you disdain me?

Why would I disdain you? You're a rational contributor...most of the time  ;)
Pot had helped
Get the fuck over it.

Guessed

« Reply #89 on: May 30, 2008, 02:53:11 PM »
Do you disdain me?

Why would I disdain you? You're a rational troll...most of the time  ;)

fix'd
Is Dino open source?