Coriolis force proves Spherical Earth

• 28 Replies

mightyfletch

• 14yr Meteorologist...because the Earth is round.
Coriolis force proves Spherical Earth
« on: March 06, 2007, 05:49:14 PM »
On a flat rotating disk, Coriolis force would still exist (much stronger I might add) all the way to the edge of the disk down to the tip of Africa.  This would keep all cyclones rotating counterclockwise all over the Earth.  Since the Earth is a sphere, all cyclones north of the equator rotate counter-clockwise and all cyclones south of the equator rotate clockwise.  As one approaches the equator of a spherical Earth, coriolis force becomes less and less until you reach the equator and then becomes null. 

This is irrefutable evidence that everyone on earth can observe all the time. 
Look up in the sky, it's a bird, no, it's a plane, no, it's the International Space Station!

Pyrochimp

• Senator Awesome
Re: Coriolis force proves Spherical Earth
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 05:51:39 PM »
It's been asked, best answer is "Every weather organization that deals in the Southern hemisphere is in on the conspiracy".
Some people are ****ing stupid! ~ George Carlin

Mathematical proof of the flat Earth:
[{(Diameter of Earth)*(tan[distance from Earth to sun/distance from North pole to equator])}2]/0

mightyfletch

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 05:55:19 PM »
Anyone can look up in the sky and see clouds and compare them with satellite pictures to show that they are not faked.
Look up in the sky, it's a bird, no, it's a plane, no, it's the International Space Station!

mightyfletch

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 05:58:44 PM »
Besides, even if you only look at the northern hemisphere, since a flat rotating disk would have a much stronger coriolis force than a sphere, the subtropical jet would recurve much farther south than it does.

mightyfletch

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 06:18:20 PM »
The doldrums in the equatorial region would not exist if the Earth were flat.  Look up doldrums and get a full description.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doldrums

Any person sailing near the equator will notice what mariners have known for centuries before any government conspiracy.  The doldrums are an area of light and variable winds formed by the vertical ascent of warm moist air from the latitudes north of and south of the equator.

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 06:05:44 AM »
On a flat rotating disk, Coriolis force would still exist (much stronger I might add) all the way to the edge of the disk down to the tip of Africa.  This would keep all cyclones rotating counterclockwise all over the Earth.  Since the Earth is a sphere, all cyclones north of the equator rotate counter-clockwise and all cyclones south of the equator rotate clockwise.  As one approaches the equator of a spherical Earth, coriolis force becomes less and less until you reach the equator and then becomes null. 

Wikipedia says otherwise.

mightyfletch

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 02:57:01 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: mightyfletch on March 06, 2007, 05:49:14 PM

Wikipedia says otherwise.

No it doesn't.
"...This effect is caused by the rotation of the Earth and is responsible for the direction of the rotation of cyclones. As a consequence, winds around the center of a cyclone rotate counterclockwise on the northern hemisphere and clockwise on the southern hemisphere."
Wikipedia.org

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriolis_effect[url]

FYI-this force does not significantly affect water draining i.e. toilets.  That relies more on the shape of the vessel and how the water is filled. 

Dioptimus Drime

• Meep.
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 03:03:24 PM »
The Coriolis Effect is like a guy hanging off a cliff with one finger. How am I supposed to be made to believe that the rotation is due to the effect of a rotating Earth when it could just as easily be a coincidental thing. Also, there is a flat Earth speculation on why the effect happens having to do with the rotation of the sun around the top of the Earth. I don't know exactly where the post is, however...

~D-Draw

mightyfletch

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 03:15:51 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Coriolis Effect is like a guy hanging off a cliff with one finger. How am I supposed to be made to believe that the rotation is due to the effect of a rotating Earth when it could just as easily be a coincidental thing. Also, there is a flat Earth speculation on why the effect happens having to do with the rotation of the sun around the top of the Earth. I don't know exactly where the post is, however...

~D-Draw

A guy hanging off a cliff?  What is that supposed to mean?  A rotating disk still produces the Coriolis effect.  No one has said that the Earth doesn't rotate.  The difference is that Coriolis would be much stronger on a flat rotating Earth than a spherical one.  It would also cause all weather systems to rotate in the same direction all over the Earth instead of being different in the Southern Hemisphere/ Northern Hemisphere.

mightyfletch

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 03:45:39 PM »
Another small-scale experiment anyone can do is stand with his/her back against the wind, lower air pressure will be to the left in the Northern hemisphere.  For example, if you hold a barometer with your back to the wind which is coming at you from the west, and your friend is around 50-100 miles north of you, you will see that your friend has a lower pressure reading.  This is due to the fact that air moves counter-clockwise around a low pressure center(Coriolis Effect).  This experiment is easier to observe with both of you on the same side of a frontal system.

I am happy to explain anything further.

Dioptimus Drime

• Meep.
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 06:06:49 PM »
A guy hanging off a cliff?  What is that supposed to mean?

I'm just saying that the evidence in favor of the Coriolis Effect isn't exactly solid nor credible. It could be simply the result of a coincidence.

~D-Draw

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2007, 06:24:08 PM »
I'm just saying that the evidence in favor of the Coriolis Effect isn't exactly solid nor credible. It could be simply the result of a coincidence.

~D-Draw

Why don't you respond to the OP...
Another small-scale experiment anyone can do is stand with his/her back against the wind, lower air pressure will be to the left in the Northern hemisphere.  For example, if you hold a barometer with your back to the wind which is coming at you from the west, and your friend is around 50-100 miles north of you, you will see that your friend has a lower pressure reading.  This is due to the fact that air moves counter-clockwise around a low pressure center(Coriolis Effect).  This experiment is easier to observe with both of you on the same side of a frontal system.

I am happy to explain anything further.

mightyfletch

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2007, 07:57:47 PM »

Quote from: mightyfletch on Today at 03:15:51 PM
A guy hanging off a cliff?  What is that supposed to mean?

~D-Draw

It's actually very solid, credible, and obvious.  The Doldrums near the Equator (by Equator I mean the region around the Earth at the same latitude as Central America) simply would not exist if the world were a flat spinning disk.  Coriolis would be very strong instead.
Continuing on from the low pressure experiment I gave earlier, air parcels move towards areas of lower pressure and then go up.  As they move along the surface of the Earth they deflect to the right (Coriolis Effect).  As air parcels converge at the surface and they all deflect to the right, you get a counter-clockwise motion.  Katrina was pretty solid evidence if you ask me.  I was less than 1/2 a mile from the shore when the eye made landfall and my friend was issuing wind warnings for that area when it occured.
It is the opposite with High pressure areas since the air flows away from Higher pressure areas to acheive equilibrium.  Higher latitudes have a stronger effect.  It is by these principles that I am able to make accurate weather forecasts.  Do you think the Earth doesn't spin?

?

WHAT????

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2007, 01:12:23 PM »
WHY DO YOU BOTHER WITH CORROLIS....... WHAT THE F@#& HAPPENS TO THE SUN AT NIGTH...... IT GO THROUG A HOLE IN THE FLAT EARTH ONLY TO BOUNCE BACK IN THE MORNING?????? PLEASE DONT SAY THE SUN IS IN THE CONSPIRACY AND WHO CAN GAIN ANYTHING WHITH A ROUND EARTH???????

I cant belive i made an account just for this

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2007, 01:14:51 PM »
Leave.
My problem with his ideas is that it is a ridiculous thing.

Genius. PURE, undiluted genius.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2007, 01:35:45 PM »
WHY DO YOU BOTHER WITH CORROLIS....... WHAT THE F@#& HAPPENS TO THE SUN AT NIGTH...... IT GO THROUG A HOLE IN THE FLAT EARTH ONLY TO BOUNCE BACK IN THE MORNING?????? PLEASE DONT SAY THE SUN IS IN THE CONSPIRACY AND WHO CAN GAIN ANYTHING WHITH A ROUND EARTH???????

Neither can I.

The sun is in on the conspiracy, and it gains money by being in on it.

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2007, 12:18:05 AM »

The caps lock key is about 7/16 of one inch from the "A" key. Turn it off.

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2007, 12:21:20 AM »
Leave.

So your response to a thread about Coriolis force is "Leave." That is probably the most half-assed attempt at making a point. Why would you tell him to leave? This thread raises a legitimate question.

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2007, 12:22:45 AM »

Why the hell is your Caps Lock key so far from your A key?

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2007, 12:26:16 AM »

Why the hell is your Caps Lock key so far from your A key?
7/16 is a fraction, in case you didn't know. Also, on most keyboards,there is more of a space between the "A" key and the caps lock key.

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2007, 12:29:44 AM »
7/16 is a fraction, in case you didn't know. Also, on most keyboards,there is more of a space between the "A" key and the caps lock key.
My Caps Lock key is literally about 2mm from my A key. Maybe less.

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2007, 12:30:34 AM »
My Caps Lock key is literally about 2mm from my A key.
i guess I use a different keyboard then you do.

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2007, 12:31:53 AM »
I'd love to see it.

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2007, 12:36:37 AM »
I'd love to see it.

http://images.moditory.com/reviews/Dell/MVC-003F.JPG
Here's a pic of the brand of keyboard i use.

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2007, 12:39:10 AM »
I'd love to see it.

I wouldn't call that 7/16 in. >_>

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2007, 12:40:19 AM »
I'd love to see it.

NOTE: Picture is not to scale.

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2007, 12:41:14 AM »
I'd love to see it.

NOTE: Picture is not to scale.
Let's just drop it.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2007, 07:42:59 AM »
Yes, please do.

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson