Re: This is Not a Pipe
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 03:49:05 PM »
It's a picture of a pipe?

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 04:16:59 PM »
How do you define what a pipe is?

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 04:58:24 PM »
A pipe is an object with 2 ends, hollow on the inside, where on one end you place a material burn it and a person inhales the smoke that is created from the process of smoking.

unclegravy

• I feel so fucking high!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 05:10:25 PM »
A pipe is an object made for the specific purpose in mind; that is, an object which you use to smoke certain things.
Granted, it can be used for something else (like whacking Flat Earthers on the head), and anything else can be used to smoke things (err, rolling paper?), but a pipe has to have a purpose before it existed.
The people who feast on exclamation marks will never go hungry agaaaain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 05:29:00 PM »
So I can hollow out a cat and you would accept naming it a pipe?

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 05:30:07 PM »

If you used it to smoke something, yes.

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 05:47:51 PM »
What about black pipe and copper pipe. Those arent used for smoking. Theyre used for PIPING!

Hypothetically, you could smoke from them...

unclegravy

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 05:52:17 PM »
If your purpose for hollowing the cat was to smoke something with it, then yes.
The people who feast on exclamation marks will never go hungry agaaaain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 05:56:36 PM »
What about black pipe and copper pipe. Those arent used for smoking. Theyre used for PIPING!

Hypothetically, you could smoke from them...

Not while water if flowing through them.  Unless you'd call pipes something different when water flows through them.

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 05:58:41 PM »
Not while water if flowing through them.  Unless you'd call pipes something different when water flows through them.

You can take a pipe off, and then smoke from it though. So it is feasible to smoke from a pipe.

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2007, 06:02:00 PM »
You can take a pipe off, and then smoke from it though. So it is feasible to smoke from a pipe.

Not if it's bigger than your head  ;D

Do you really think this is what the threads about?

unclegravy

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2007, 06:47:00 PM »
Is the thread about Idealism? You are, after all, a Philosophist.:P

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2007, 06:50:32 PM »

.....It's about the abstract nature of language

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2007, 07:13:04 PM »

.....It's about the abstract nature of language

All this innuendo of smoking pipes distracted me from the main topic.

unclegravy

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2007, 07:20:02 PM »
Oh,  thought it was about Berkeley.
So why point it out?

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2007, 07:21:53 PM »
I thought it might start an interesting discussion, i guess not though

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2007, 07:22:34 PM »
Oh,  thought it was about Berkeley.
So why point it out?

Too acknowledge his failure in the creation of this thread. Lets talk about the Philosophers self-defeating nature instead.

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2007, 07:29:36 PM »
To make a serious comment pertaining to the real discussion at hand, I see where you are going with this discussion but I believe you displayed it with the wrong example. A pipe is something that is taken for what it is and nothing else.

Language itself as abstract as it can be interpreted differently by anyone. One person my interpret it one way, and another may another. This is displayed in a Rorschach Inkblot test, as people interpret the same blobs as different figures.

skeptical scientist

• -2 Flamebait
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2007, 07:33:54 PM »
If philosophy of language is what you are after, try this on.

Consider, for example, the sentence, "If this sentence is true, then Yetis live in Alaska." If the sentence is true, then it's true that "If this sentence is true, then Yetis live in Alaska", and the sentence is true, so Yetis must live in Alaska. But since it's true that Yetis live in Alaska if the sentence is true, and that's exactly the content of the sentence, the sentence is true. Therefore, Yetis live in Alaska.
-David
E pur si muove!

unclegravy

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2007, 07:36:11 PM »
There is no way to verify that Yetis live in Alaska if the sentence is true, so it is null.

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2007, 07:39:06 PM »
If this sentence is true, I am a gigantic pickled orange.  But the sentence isn't true so the content of the sentence isn't true.

I don't see how this goes into the philosophy of language. I see how some sentences are impractical or irrational, but I don't see people using this sentence in everyday conversation.

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2007, 08:22:54 PM »
A pipe is a tubular object used to convey a physical substance from one location to another in a controlled environment. This substance can be a solid, a liquid, a gas, or a plasma.
Quote from: BOGWarrior89

I'm giving you five points for that one

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2007, 08:40:48 PM »
A pipe is a tubular object used to convey a physical substance from one location to another in a controlled environment. This substance can be a solid, a liquid, a gas, or a plasma.
So a pipe outside of a controlled environment would cease to be a pipe?

To make a serious comment pertaining to the real discussion at hand, I see where you are going with this discussion but I believe you displayed it with the wrong example. A pipe is something that is taken for what it is and nothing else.

Language itself as abstract as it can be interpreted differently by anyone. One person my interpret it one way, and another may another. This is displayed in a Rorschach Inkblot test, as people interpret the same blobs as different figures.
A pipe can also be interpreted differently by everyone.  I'm sure some people would be unwilling to stop calling a cat a cat even if it was hollowed out with the intent to smoke out of it (or transport liquid).

Consider, for example, the sentence, "If this sentence is true, then Yetis live in Alaska." If the sentence is true, then it's true that "If this sentence is true, then Yetis live in Alaska", and the sentence is true, so Yetis must live in Alaska. But since it's true that Yetis live in Alaska if the sentence is true, and that's exactly the content of the sentence, the sentence is true. Therefore, Yetis live in Alaska.

That is an interesting example, but it doesn't make sense.  The first example cannot be reasoned because the first clause refers to nothing that can be proven true or false.  Yetis living in Alaska has nothing to do with the truth of the sentence.  The truth about whether or not Yetis live in Alaska can only be ascertained once the truth of the first clause is determined.  Maybe you just didn't word it right or I'm not properly understanding you.

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2007, 08:48:41 PM »
So a pipe outside of a controlled environment would cease to be a pipe?

The Pipe IS a controlled environment, regardless of the environment the pipe exists in.

Example A: The oil pipe that runs through Alaska. It pipes a substance through a hostile environment.

Example B: An intestinal track. Because the environment is not controlled (the intestines digest and absorb neutriants all along the way, thereby gradually reducing what is being "piped" through) it is not a pipe.

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2007, 08:52:44 PM »
The Pipe IS a controlled environment, regardless of the environment the pipe exists in.

Example A: The oil pipe that runs through Alaska. It pipes a substance through a hostile environment.

Example B: An intestinal track. Because the environment is not controlled (the intestines digest and absorb neutriants all along the way, thereby gradually reducing what is being "piped" through) it is not a pipe.
I would argue that the intestine IS a pipe, though.  It's just a pipe that functions in a more complex manner.

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2007, 09:14:34 PM »

I would argue that the intestine IS a pipe, though.  It's just a pipe that functions in a more complex manner.

The substance it conveys is subject to constant change as nutrients are absorbed. Unlike the oil pipe which delivers all of it's substance, the intestines only deliver a fraction of it's substance.

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2007, 09:31:14 PM »
The substance it conveys is subject to constant change as nutrients are absorbed. Unlike the oil pipe which delivers all of it's substance, the intestines only deliver a fraction of it's substance.

But the nutrients that are absorbed enter other, smaller pipes.  One might say our bodies are an incredibly complex system of pipes, at least our circulatory, respiratory, digestive, excretory, lymphatic, and reproductive systems.  All in all, they form a very controlled system.

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2007, 04:37:03 AM »
Anything has the possibility of being a pipe. Anything can be changed from the state it is, to be something that carries a substance across it.

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2007, 04:40:58 AM »
What about liquid metal, or liquid nitrogen?