Sun as a Spotlight

• 7 Replies
Sun as a Spotlight
« on: March 05, 2007, 07:27:03 PM »
If the sun act as a spotlight, then how does the FE model explain the sun's lighting the edges of clouds towards sunset?  The light seems to be coming from where the sun appears to be, which is beyond the horizon, though this is supposedly just an optical illusion?
If the sun were where you claim it is, it couldn't light the clouds the way it does.

Re: Sun as a Spotlight
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 11:26:41 PM »
i think optical illusion is just another word that they say when they have no real answer, just more nonsense.

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 11:38:06 AM »
This is quite possibly explained in Earth: Not a Globe.
Imperious, choleric, irascible, extreme in everything, with a dissolute imagination the like of which has never been seen, atheistic to the point of fanaticism, there you have me in a nutshell.... Kill me again or take me as I am, for I shall not change.

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 02:09:20 PM »
This is quite possibly explained in Earth: Not a Globe.

Your in-depth explanation of questions asked astounds me.

In response to the main question of the post, maybe as the sun moves away the light hits at a different angle refracting off the Earths surface and lighting the clouds...

Curious to how an FE would answer this though.

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 07:40:00 AM »
Sometimes it's spotlight disk, sometimes it's a radiant sphere, other times it's a sphere that behaves like a spotlight. It all depends what suits the particular argument at the time.

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 11:55:47 AM »
Sometimes it's spotlight disk, sometimes it's a radiant sphere, other times it's a sphere that behaves like a spotlight. It all depends what suits the particular argument at the time.

So I've noticed, but I was hoping Tom would respond, since he's always invoking the sphere as a spotlight model.

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 09:11:58 AM »
Could it be that due to the angle, the sunlight is reflecting off the sea and lighting the clouds from beneath?

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 10:51:53 AM »
Okay how about this? If the sun is only shining "down" on a concentrated area of Earth's surface, how are we able to see the other planets?