Center of the Universe

• 9 Replies
Center of the Universe
« on: June 05, 2006, 10:09:12 AM »
Hello yall,

I am definately not as educated as many of you but I am still curious on about some things and find this forum mentally stimulating :)

So here is a question I have always wondered about.

Where is the center of the universe? I know that you can only look so far with a telescope before all you see is "soup". So I am assuming that the "soup" appears at the same distance no matter what direction we loook.

Now that would imply that we are the center but I don't think that's right.

My guess is that it would appear more like....

Now consider this from the perspective of the BIG BANG and not some religious philosophy.

Has anyone ever seen anything that confirms where the center might be and where we are inr elation to it?

And also is the universe a perfect sphere? Or does part of it move faster than others thus making it appear misshapen.

Re: Center of the Universe
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 01:16:41 PM »
Big Bang IS religios philosophy. It is all tails based on some science (red shift) and a lot of imagination (everything else). All the Big Bangers out there have probably read your post, but they don't have scientific answer for you, so they just choose to ignore it.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
Center of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 01:46:23 PM »
This is pretty interesting.  I think that the "soup" you see when you look in whatever direction is stuff at the beginning of the universe (don't forget that when you look at things that are 13 billion light years away, it's also 13 billion light years in the past).  So there really isn't anything past the "cosmic goop".

I'm not sure whether cosmology has an answer to this question, and I would be interested to hear what's been thought about it so far.

-Erasmus
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

Center of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 10:55:12 PM »
There is no way to determine our position in the universe, since we have no idea where it began, where it ends, or if it continues infinitely. Your diagram is as good as any guess. Saying there's nothing beyond a certain point in space and so on is simply theory.
y the power of truth, I, a living man, have conquered the universe.

Center of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 03:25:58 AM »
As i understand it (i just do physics, not astronomy) it depends on what theory of the universe is correct

If it is infinite in all direction then there is no centre of the universe, and everything in the universe is simply moving away from each other, and not away from some arbitrary centre.

If it is a slab universe (inifinte in X and Y but not in Z) then there is a centre LINE through the universe, but not a centre point.

If it is a donut universe (think of a donut, where the good tasting stuff would be the universe) then there would be a centre of the universe, but that would be a centre of non existence, and it would not be possible to travel there, there would also be a centre curve around the middle of the torus ring, similar to that of the slab universe.

Oh and Big bang does have many problems with it, namely the singularity problem (alhtough if you consider the universe using complex maths you can make the singularity go away... but no one is exactly sure how to rectify thay) and also with the Matter Anti-Matter disparity.

There also does not seem to be uniformity in the background radiation of the universe, which also messes up Big Bang.

But like evolution, it is the best fit theory we have - but then there was a time when we thought Newtonian physics governed everything... then we looked at the very fast, very hot, and very small.

Center of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006, 03:27:47 AM »
your diagram is though pretty decent at describing how far we can see, however i would replace "stuff past cosmic goop" with "here be dragons" ;-)

Center of the Universe
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2006, 06:55:06 AM »
Quote from: "DrQuak"
your diagram is though pretty decent at describing how far we can see, however i would replace "stuff past cosmic goop" with "here be dragons" ;-)

done and done :)

Thanks for the input. I guess I will have to wait and see.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
Center of the Universe
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2006, 12:13:28 PM »
Quote from: "DrQuak"
There also does not seem to be uniformity in the background radiation of the universe, which also messes up Big Bang.

Is the nonuniformity something other than noise?
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

Center of the Universe
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 03:40:58 AM »
it was originally thought to just be random noise but the non uniformity has.... uniformity (isn't physics fun?? ;-) )

the current thoughts are that it has to do with the positioning of the telescope used coupled with the movement of the earth.

but it is a bit of a problem, but then it was a bit of a problem that led to Quantum mechanics being concieved.

Re: Center of the Universe
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2006, 03:49:01 AM »
Quote from: "googleSearch"
Big Bang IS religios philosophy. It is all tails based on some science (red shift) and a lot of imagination (everything else). All the Big Bangers out there have probably read your post, but they don't have scientific answer for you, so they just choose to ignore it.

Well said googleSearch, glad to see a pagan egalitarian making some sense for once.
-ujb.