Another challenge for flat earthers.

• 11 Replies
« on: January 25, 2006, 07:24:55 PM »
If photos of the earth have truly been doctored to make it appear round, or those who take them have misinterpreted them then you should be able to…….

Take a picture of a coin and doctor it to make it look spherical……

Or
Take a picture of a coin in such a way, without doctoring it, that it appears spherical.

Lets see you do it!

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 12:10:16 AM »
Why should any flat earther have to attempt such silly rubbish. You are referring to pictures you have seen available only from sources other than yourself. My challenge to you is to gather the funds and create your own space program, or aquire a position aboard a space flight and take a photo with your own hands of your spherical earth (round according to you which is a 2d term spastic). I think however a more suitable challenge for a drone like yourself would be to attempt the successful tying of your shoelaces. This challenge should have AT MOST a 24 hour timelimit and some supervision from an adult in case of any serious injury/death.

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 01:29:59 PM »
Xargon has a point, ZOOBTRON.  There's a ton of photo editing software out there, so let's see you (or any flat-earther) prove that photos can be doctored in such a way as to make a flat, round object look like a sphere by doctoring a picture of a coin.  When you succeed, post it on here so we can all see it.  Either that or you should be the one to make your own space program to prove that the earth is flat because for all you know Xargon might be in on this whole conspiracy, in which case his testimony shouldn't be trusted.
quot;In the beginning the Universe was created.  This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."

--Douglas Adams

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 01:41:38 PM »
Quote from: "Maureen"
...or all you know Xargon might be in on this whole conspiracy, in which case his testimony shouldn't be trusted.

I've been found out! :shock:

?

discochimp

smoke and mirrors gentlemen, smoke and mirrors...
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006, 05:04:15 PM »
a combination of various lenses will eaisily render any circular flat object spherical. unfortunatly i cannot divulge the names or combinations of these lenses for fear of the true shape of the earth being let loose on an unprepared general public and those that are dimentionally challenged.

a library photo of a similar coin, NOT, i repeat, not the same coin.

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 09:04:21 AM »
That coin did it. I'm convinced. I hadn't seen a photopshopped image that makes something flat appear spherical. Nice work. It appears the flat- earthers have scored a point.

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 09:37:40 PM »
That's all very convincing and such... but I noticed the spherical coin happened to show the whole coin, whereas a spherical image of the Earth shows at most one hemisphere.

Just sayin’.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 11:58:39 AM »
Quote from: "JesusFreak03"
That's all very convincing and such... but I noticed the spherical coin happened to show the whole coin, whereas a spherical image of the Earth shows at most one hemisphere.

Just sayin’.

Gasp!
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

?

dgw

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2006, 01:34:23 PM »
No sorry that picture of the coin is incorrect. Flat earthers say the earth looks flat like a disc but with the north pole in the centre and the south pole around the edge. If you want to make the coin look spherical like the round earth, you need to make the top part (the crown area) in the centre of the 'disc' and the neck region going around the edge. Putting a bulge in the centre is not correct.

References:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth_Society

http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/fe-scidi.htm

?

Extacide

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 07:12:24 PM »
That coin did it. I'm convinced. I hadn't seen a photopshopped image that makes something flat appear spherical. Nice work. It appears the flat- earthers have scored a point.

Nice work? If any of you happen to have photoshop and dont even know, theres on simple command that makes any image in photoshop appear spherical by spreading out the center pixels and tightening up the pixels around the edge. To get to this tool:

Look under Filter, Distort, and then choose the "spherize" tool. Apply, and voila. Press ctrl+F a few times to even increase the effect. Nothing has been proven whatsoever in this topic. The simplicity of creating spheres with image editing programs, especially one such as Photoshop is unexplainable. If none of you can even figure that out, I must really question your intelligence.

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2006, 06:31:17 AM »
Right. Please someone take the 3D studio and make the 3D coin rotate to dispell the last clouds of doubts.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2006, 10:36:55 AM »
Indeed.  Though I suspect many of the methodologies here for faking photographs from space are doomed to failure, this does not mean no such methods exist.  After all, round Earthers believe that cartographers project the curved 2-d surface of the Earth onto Euclidean 2-d maps; these projections are surely invertible.

-Erasmus
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?