Contradictions

• 20 Replies
?

Temaki

• Flat as his arguments.
Contradictions
« on: February 20, 2007, 06:22:21 PM »
This may or may not have been discussed elsewhere, and if so, please direct me to the appropriate thread(s):

1. Most Flat Earthers don't believe in the concept of gravity, but in "upward acceleration", and they believe that the entire universe is accelerating upward in tandem with itself.
2. Flat Earthers also believe that our universe is geocentric.
3. One celestial body orbiting around the other is, according to scientists, caused by the gravitational pull relative to a planet's mass.

Here's my question: if no such thing as gravity exists, then how can the universe orbit around Earth, or any other large object in space?

(FAQ didn't answer, and "search" turned up nothing.)
Quote from: Tom Bishop
Disregard that, I suck cocks.

?

Rick_James

• The Elder Ones
  • Rick <3 Gayer
Re: Contradictions
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 06:27:46 PM »
The universe is not orbiting around the Earth.

Other planets have gravity and therefore an orbit.

The Sun and Moon do not "orbit" the Earth as you understand the word to mean. The FAQ should have pointed this out to you. Check out a picture of FE.

?

Temaki

• Flat as his arguments.
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 06:31:43 PM »
Yes, I have read the FAQ.

Several Flat Earthers feel strongly about geocentricity, and I'm asking my question within those very parameters.
Quote from: Tom Bishop
Disregard that, I suck cocks.

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 07:26:22 PM »

The Sun and Moon do not "orbit" the Earth as you understand the word to mean. The FAQ should have pointed this out to you. Check out a picture of FE.
why doesn't the earth have gravity but all other bodies in the universe do?

DonutGuard

• Deal with it.
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 07:40:01 PM »
Or how in the thread for Tom, he said the Shadow Object revolves around the moon in an eliptical orbit and then in another thread he said it follows the same orbit as the Sun and Moon just at different speeds.

As Mr. Abraham Lincoln once said... a man doesn't have a good enough memory to be a successful liar.

*EDIT* BTW Hara, I liked your post in there too.  It's a shame the thread got closed :(
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 07:42:51 PM by DonutGuard »
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; if there be one, he must approve of the homage of reason over that of blind-folded fear."
-Thomas Jefferson

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 07:51:48 PM »

Now I can finally say: "See response to FAQ"

unclegravy

• I feel so fucking high!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 03:53:40 PM »
why doesn't the earth have gravity but all other bodies in the universe do?
I was wondering this too? Are we that special that we have to be the only planet without gravity?

And can someone clarify exactly HOW FE'ers think the earth orbits the sun? tyvm.
The people who feast on exclamation marks will never go hungry agaaaain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

?

Rick_James

• The Elder Ones
  • Rick <3 Gayer
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 04:21:49 PM »
I was wondering this too? Are we that special that we have to be the only planet without gravity?

And can someone clarify exactly HOW FE'ers think the earth orbits the sun? tyvm.

Some members believe the Earth has a weak Gravitational field, some belive it has none. Are we that special to be the only planet not devoid of life?

We don't.

unclegravy

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 04:27:53 PM »
Why are you implying I don't believe in lifeforms outside of our own planet? :D

Then, what does the theory state?
The people who feast on exclamation marks will never go hungry agaaaain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 04:36:10 PM »
...again with the logical fallacies! Just because our planet has the only known case of life on it is irrelevant as to whether it has mass or not, just as the fact that the 6 on a dice is the highest possible number is irrelevant as to the likelyhood of it turning up.
Agnostic atheist, physics student, RE'er.

?

Rick_James

• The Elder Ones
  • Rick <3 Gayer
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2007, 04:38:07 PM »

The point I was making is that we don't know for sure that every other planet has a gravatational field.

The theory does not state that the earth orbits the sun.

unclegravy

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 04:41:12 PM »
Then what does the theory state about the earth's relation to the sun?

Also, you can't say other planets have gravity and we don't, it's either all planets do, or gravity does not exist altogether.

Anything with mass has gravity, so which is it? Does the FE theory state that gravity exists or what?

?

RenaissanceMan

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2007, 04:46:01 PM »

Some members believe the Earth has a weak Gravitational field, some belive it has none. Are we that special to be the only planet not devoid of life?

We don't.

The fact that we rotate around the sun is demonstrated by 2 simple principles.

1) The stars appear to rotate around a single point. In the Northern Hemisphere, that's Polaris, the north star. In the Southern Hemisphere, it's a constelation, 'Crux', also referred to as the Southern Cross.

2) Stellar Parallax. It's hard to measure... requiring the photographing of a star field at 6 month intervals with the star field at right angles to the direction of photography. It's way useful... and is used to determine the distance to near stars.

Now... An interesting thing happens. ONLY the most cerebrally limited individuals are unaware of the stars in the sky, and even then... everyone has witnessed the rotation of the stars around a common point... Polaris in the north, and Crux in the south. As such, it's only really possible to convince people in the northern hemisphere that the earth is flat.

So, My question for you, Rick, is this: Since you live in the southern hemisphere, are you so incomprehensibly stupid that you haven't noticed the stars rotating around Crux, or are you a lying sack just trying to piss people off?

Hmm? 

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 04:49:57 PM »

The point I was making is that we don't know for sure that every other planet has a gravatational field.

The theory does not state that the earth orbits the sun.

We know that every other planet has a gravitational field because every other planet has mass.
Tom Bishop is a moron.

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2007, 04:53:30 PM »
and moons orbiting around them.

?

Rick_James

• The Elder Ones
  • Rick <3 Gayer
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2007, 04:58:24 PM »
Then what does the theory state about the earth's relation to the sun?

Also, you can't say other planets have gravity and we don't, it's either all planets do, or gravity does not exist altogether.

Anything with mass has gravity, so which is it? Does the FE theory state that gravity exists or what?

Congratulations! You are the owner of the last Frequently Asked Question that I'll be answering today.  FE states that the Sun Circles above the Earth, not orbits around it.

Why can I not say that the Earth has no gravity, but not that Earth is (most likely) the only planet with life on it? 

As I already stated, some members believe the Earth to have a weak gravitational filed, some do not. If you believe that everything that has mass also has gravity, then I guess you agree with the former.

unclegravy

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2007, 04:58:52 PM »
What I'm saying is, if FE'ers believe that the earth doesn't have gravity, then they believe that ALL planets/stars/etc don't have gravity.

Gravity, if it exists, is universal.

So, if you're saying the FE and the whole of the universe moves "upwards" and gives the illusion of gravity, then the moon (assuming you're not a "Moon Landing is a hoax"-er, btw) and all other things in the universe should also be moving "upwards" at a speed approximately g/6 (1/6 that of the earth's).

And assuming that you believe that our universe is mind-boggingly vast and contains more planets than you can imagine, you believe that the whole universe is moving at a speed significantly faster than light.

EDIT: You posted while I was writing.

A flat earth is impossible if it has gravity, plainly because gravity would have caused it to collapse into a sphere. We're talking about a massive object here, and so a massive pull. So, you can't be an FE'er and a believer of gravity at the same time.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 05:01:01 PM by unclegravy »

?

Rick_James

• The Elder Ones
  • Rick <3 Gayer
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2007, 05:04:23 PM »
So, My question for you, Rick, is this: Since you live in the southern hemisphere, are you so incomprehensibly stupid that you haven't noticed the stars rotating around Crux, or are you a lying sack just trying to piss people off?

Hmm? 

Personal Attacks aren't the most effective way of getting an answer.

unclegravy

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2007, 05:05:43 PM »
Answer it.

?

RenaissanceMan

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2007, 05:17:06 PM »

Hmm? 

Personal Attacks aren't the most effective way of getting an answer.

Neither is being a lying sack. However, both are quite direct. Available evidence supports my hypothesis, whereas yours appears weak.

Let's look at this another way... if the available evidence indicates that your discussion partner is a lying sack, and the discussion medium allows being a lying sack as a valid paradigm, then calling them a lying sack isn't a personal attack... simply a reference to the discussion tactics of the afore mentioned lying sack.

unclegravy

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2007, 05:21:44 PM »
I suggest you ignore the personal attacks and answer the question.
In fact, if ANY FE'er would want to.

Because it makes sense to me, and I'm being objective here.