Two-dimensional pictures of the earth?

• 4 Replies
Two-dimensional pictures of the earth?
« on: February 20, 2007, 06:38:35 AM »
I ran across this thread in the "TRUE BELIEVERS" forum, created by the user bullhorn.

Why are all pictures of the Earth in two dimentions?

It seems to me that all the pictures of the Earth from space are 2 dimensions, its always seen on a computer screen or paper. It is all 2D
Maybe the reason is it is flat. Please brothers what do you think about this.

Is it because it's impossible to display a three-dimensional object on a two-dimensional surface, like paper, or a computer screen?

No, really. I want to know where else you would see a picture, and how it could be three dimensional.

Re: Two-dimensional pictures of the earth?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 06:44:12 AM »
Well obviously, there already are pictures proving that, taken from satellites. It doesn't necessarily prove that the earth is spherical, because pictures are TWO-DIMENSIONAL, but it does maintain that the earth has a circular shape. It could be implied from these pictures, then, that the earth is spherical, since you cannot see all the continents at once. If the earth was indeed flat, all of the continents would be visible on one side of the earth.

But that's just if you believe that sort of thing. There is ample scientific evidence to prove that the earth is a sphere, and all I've gotten off  of this site as proof of a flat earth is a "conspiracy".

microchip08

• [s]Round-Earther Flat-Earther[/s] [Not Sure[/s]
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 06:51:29 AM »
Can't you have an optical illusion that shows somethings round? I saw one as a football in a pitch, but 3D.
ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha!

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 06:56:54 AM »
Quote from: theonlydann
Hey... Im not gonna argue to much... but they are right. The government has lied before... and while i think it is far fetched that they could pull something like this off on such a grnd scale for so long... it IS possible.

Yes, the government has lied, but think about it. A conspiracy? That has lasted for this long? And what is the basis of the conspiracy? Why does the government care if people think the earth is flat or spherical? Maybe the underside of the flat earth is covered with money, and the government wants it all for itself. Also, don't forget NASA - they may think it's all an elaborate hoax, but at least NASA provides pictures (even if they are subject to scrutiny), and people have actually gone up into space (unless they're lying! Gasp!). All I've seen here to "prove" the theory is a picture, very badly edited in MS Paint, of some guy's trip to the "Ice Wall". And it was so obviously edited that it only hurt, not helped, the flat earth theory.

It's fine if you choose to buy into the conspiracy theory. But until I take a trip to this "Ice Wall" myself, I refuse to believe anything other than what science has discovered.

I also find it funny how a lot of the flat-earthers here are so judgmental and defensive. Chill out guys. If your theory actually had some weight, there would be no need to be so pissy all the time. There also would be no need to describe natural phenomena by saying things like "Shadow Object" and "Ice Wall".

Quote from: microchip08
Can't you have an optical illusion that shows somethings round? I saw one as a football in a pitch, but 3D.

That's possible, but if it were an optical illusion, then it would not really be a picture of a round earth - it would be an optical illusion of a round earth. What I was saying was that it's impossible to take a picture of a three-dimensional object and make it still three-dimensional on a piece of paper. And even an optical illusion on a piece of paper is still two-dimensional.

microchip08

• [s]Round-Earther Flat-Earther[/s] [Not Sure[/s]
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 06:59:43 AM »
Good point.
ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha!