Metrosexual men

• 19 Replies
Metrosexual men
« on: February 20, 2007, 05:55:05 AM »
Guess I'll start another thread and see where it goes. I don't know guys, but don't you find the whole " metrosexual " thing rather disquieting? I'm not here to defend or exalt a sparkies definiton of masculainity with the pot roast and potatoes bullshit; rather, I wish to facilitate discussion on the creation or reissue of the fop or dandy from years gone by. You know the old saying that ladies love a sharp dressed man. Perhaps we should examine why this is so. Does it suggest that he is rich; that shopping is a part of his Weltanschauung; that he is vain; or is it a combination of some or all of these? Just wondering what others think of the resurrection of the dandy or fop from years gone by. In my view, this social phenomenon insults rather than flatters women.
" Hat man mich verstanden? " Friedrich Nietzsche

Re: Metrosexual men
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 06:17:13 AM »
Hey I would never suggest hating on a man because he is handsome. That is akin to hating on a man cause he is height challenged. Nevertheless, handsome is the adjective used to denote pleasing physical traits that are masculine, while pretty is used to designate those that are feminine. A handsome man cannot be pretty, and a pretty boy doesn't exist in a natural sense; he is not born, but created.

EvilToothpaste

• The Reverse Engineer
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 12:55:50 PM »
I think the metrosexual movement is vanity, pure and simple (like a hammer to the forebrain).  It is not necessarily different from the 'dandy' or 'fop' -- though those terms are very removed from anyone I've met -- the difference being that of modern styles and fashions.  To me, the metrosexual is full of self love and self importance.  Disingenuous and spattered with contempt of the average man or woman. 

I know a metrosexual, and though he is my friend, he is an arrogant man that walks all over anyone around him.  He just needs to be talked down to often so he remembers not to be such an ass. 

?

[][][]

• Man of science.
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 01:28:45 PM »

A handsom man.
The folly of mistaking a paradox for a discovery, a metaphor for a proof, a torrent of verbiage for a spring of capital truths, and oneself for an oracle, is inborn in us. -Some Frenchy

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 04:00:31 PM »
To me metrosexuality is a pernicious phenomenon, insofar as it represents an appeal to vanity and garish materialism. It is no secret that it is pushed hard by Madison Ave. Why, if we ask, should society exalt the clothes horse? If a man proclaims Banana Republic as his favorite store, then I don't think this is a good thing at all.

?

cadmium_blimp

• funny, you thought I'd convert, didn't you?
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 04:04:23 PM »
I despise clothing stores.  This is why I make loincloths out of the skins of the stray cats I eat.

Quote from: Commander Taggart
Never give up, never surrender!

?

quixotic

• Im a mushroomcloudlayin motherfucker, motherfucker
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 08:14:12 PM »
I'd probably be considered a Metro...but thefact is that I was taking pride in my appearance before any of this crap started...

Some people like to buy one shitty suit for $300 and it lasts months, I would prefer to pay for a well made suit taht lasts a lifetime.

You get what you pay for is all.....

Like...O M G ! ! ! He is, like, totally using the gun as like some kind of sexual weapon. O M G ! ! That is like, totally awesome! ! !

?

quixotic

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 09:59:32 PM »
lick my italian made versace balls

:-X :-X :-X :-X

Like...O M G ! ! ! He is, like, totally using the gun as like some kind of sexual weapon. O M G ! ! That is like, totally awesome! ! !

?

quixotic

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 10:09:27 PM »
well....in that case, i wont be goin anywhere near your rusty bullet wound if its affiliated with K Mart :-*

?

Rick_James

• The Elder Ones
  • Rick <3 Gayer
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 10:23:18 PM »
A handsom man.

It's an Australian thing.  ;)

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2007, 06:35:19 AM »
Guess I'll start another thread and see where it goes. I don't know guys, but don't you find the whole " metrosexual " thing rather disquieting? I'm not here to defend or exalt a sparkies definiton of masculainity with the pot roast and potatoes bullshit; rather, I wish to facilitate discussion on the creation or reissue of the fop or dandy from years gone by. You know the old saying that ladies love a sharp dressed man. Perhaps we should examine why this is so. Does it suggest that he is rich; that shopping is a part of his Weltanschauung; that he is vain; or is it a combination of some or all of these? Just wondering what others think of the resurrection of the dandy or fop from years gone by. In my view, this social phenomenon insults rather than flatters women.

I had never heard that term before. I love to learn new things, so this will fill my morning with reading and thinking.

From what I looked up so far, I think it began with those wigs that people wore back in the day. Might just be me, but that really is a stoking point...
My problem with his ideas is that it is a ridiculous thing.

Genius. PURE, undiluted genius.

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 07:57:50 AM »
Stop  being a judgemental bitch and get the fuck over it.

EvilToothpaste

• The Reverse Engineer
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2007, 08:01:52 AM »

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 08:03:22 AM »
No. Im pretty, therefore it is my right and duty to judge.

you have officialy spammed sarcasm

?

[][][]

• Man of science.
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2007, 08:25:48 AM »
A handsom man.

It's an Australian thing.  ;)
What does that mean, Rick?

The actor that plays agent Smith, Hugo Weaving, is an Australian. (But that is not true because we all know Australia does not exist  ;))
The folly of mistaking a paradox for a discovery, a metaphor for a proof, a torrent of verbiage for a spring of capital truths, and oneself for an oracle, is inborn in us. -Some Frenchy

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2007, 08:26:58 AM »
Blame Canada.
My problem with his ideas is that it is a ridiculous thing.

Genius. PURE, undiluted genius.

?

Rick_James

• The Elder Ones
  • Rick <3 Gayer
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2007, 07:58:10 PM »

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2007, 08:45:17 PM »
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

?

quixotic

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2007, 08:58:09 PM »
Hes not....

But I definitely am  :P

?

Rick_James

• The Elder Ones
  • Rick <3 Gayer
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2007, 09:07:16 PM »
You must not be native.  ;P

OH SNAPZ!!!

Well played nomad :P