Why would we be lied to...

• 7 Replies
?

theearthisround

« on: January 23, 2006, 08:59:37 AM »
ok i'm new here, but my friend showed me this site and i want to ask a question.

If the earth is flat as you say it is, why would we be lied to and be told that it is round?  I'm sure that someone knows whether the earth is round or flat, so why would they say that it is round and not flat?

Re: Why would we be lied to...
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 10:22:54 PM »
Don't bother.  The flaties have yet to expalin this. They never will.

bullhorn

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 10:02:31 AM »
Again one can assume that it is for our good as a people.

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 10:48:09 AM »
If we were being lied to...there must be a good reason. It would be interesting to hear some theories and opinions as to why it's best for us to not know. Perhaps there is something as a society that we aren't capable of handling or understanding.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 02:05:12 PM »
Quote from: "bullhorn"
one can assume that it is for our good as a people.

So bullhorn usually when somebody asks "Why did party X take action A?" it's rarely the case that they want to hear, "Because X thought A was a good idea."  We're beginning on the assumption that people aren't behaving completely at random; if they do a thing, it's probably because they thought it would be beneficial to the parties they want to see benefit.

The question, "Why would the government lie to us?" is really asking, "Who would suffer if the truth about the shape of the Earth were revealed?  In precisely what way would they suffer?"

Maybe you could take a stab at those two?

-Erasmus
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 01:11:26 AM »
Naive. How do all lies start. It begins with the utterance of an initial mistruth and grows depending on who has the most to benefit from those gullible enough to take the works of others as gospel. A forum is a good place to start as it a microcosm of society and contains plenty of bs artists because the of the lack of face to face contact means accountability is zero. Those defending the position of a spherical earth usually begin their spiel with " I am a fisicks profissar..." or "I werk for a transowshianik airlieyn kumpni so cn yoo xplyan wy the erth" etc. With rank and file drones happy accept the education system as it is and the notion that the earth is a ball (rediculous I know!) the obvious and immediate benefits of such a huge cover-up is stability and control. We all know the long term benefits the hoaxed moon landings brought the US in a time the required technology to perform such a landing have since proven not to have existed - Prestige, immigration of the worlds thinking elite, a belief in one ideals superiority over another....these are the powers of lying and they are aggressively harnessed in particular by a nation with a monopoly on the information media.

?

joffenz

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006, 12:55:03 PM »
Zoobtron, that was a fairly reasonable argument.

However, you made fun of flat-earthers by imitating our apprent bad spelling,  then you spelled "Ridiculous" with an e.

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006, 05:11:29 PM »
hmmm....would it be too obvious if I hit the edit button now  :oops: