Favourite recent film

• 50 Replies
Favourite recent film
« on: January 20, 2006, 02:31:14 PM »
I have to go with Devils Rejects.  What a stormer.  Not one character in this film has a saving point.  Even the "good Guys" are evil!
ts obvious isn't it.  No one can prove a damn thing.  Especially in this of all possible worlds. LOL

Re: Favourite recent film
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 03:02:13 PM »
Quote from: "mikolaj_koppernigk=cojon"
I have to go with Devils Rejects.  What a stormer.  Not one character in this film has a saving point.  Even the "good Guys" are evil!

i almost fell asleep during this movie.  boring boring boring.  everyone told me it was *sooooo* crazy, but it's nothing compared to non-hollywood horror films.

?

Cinlef

• The Elder Ones
  • The Earth is a Sphere
Favourite recent film
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 05:49:56 PM »
The Constant Garderner
Truth is great and will prevail-Thomas Jefferson

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Cinlef is the bestest!

Melior est sapientia quam vires-Wisdom

?

EnragedPenguin

• The Elder Ones
Favourite recent film
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 07:54:47 PM »
Cinderella man. I don't know if thats considered recent though.
A different world cannot be built by indifferent people.

Favourite recent film
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 05:18:59 PM »
I thought Nick Cages Lord of War was pretty good.  Apparently it was based on the life of a real person.  It is relly quite frightening how expansive arms trading is.
ts obvious isn't it.  No one can prove a damn thing.  Especially in this of all possible worlds. LOL

Favourite recent film
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 08:50:21 PM »
The Life and Death of Chris Curzon was an amazing movie. Good supporting cast, well written, and historically accurate. Brilliant movie directed by the legendary John Curzon.
hat exactly are "Einstein's spacecraft"? And why would Hitler want to write the Bible? -- Maureen

?

Anonymous

Favourite recent film
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 08:51:27 PM »
chriscurzon, not too many people have seen that movie, it was absolutley brilliant! nor do they know who chris curzon is! best movie since bangbus 8.

?

Anonymous

Favourite recent film
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 09:26:30 PM »
Sin City-> I love those kinds of heroic characters. My favorite was Marv (ofcourse).

Favourite recent film
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2006, 09:47:54 PM »
Forgot to login. The guest above was me.
ttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity

?

EnragedPenguin

• The Elder Ones
Favourite recent film
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 08:04:01 AM »
Problem solved.

?

pspunit

• The Elder Ones
Favourite recent film
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2006, 09:05:37 PM »
I know it isn't recent by any standards, but have any of you seen Spaceballs? That is one of the funniest movies that I've ever seen.
Three people of different nationalities walk into the bar. Two of them say something smart, and the third one makes a mockery of his fellow countrymen by acting dumb."

?

Anonymous

Favourite recent film
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2006, 04:21:15 AM »
anything with hilary duff in

?

EnragedPenguin

• The Elder Ones
Favourite recent film
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2006, 07:24:26 AM »
Quote from: "pspunit"
I know it isn't recent by any standards, but have any of you seen Spaceballs? That is one of the funniest movies that I've ever seen.

I haven't seen it yet but I've been meaning to rent it. I've had a bunch of people tell me it was really good.

Favourite recent film
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2006, 07:57:24 AM »
Lord of War is my favorite recent movie

Favourite recent film
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2006, 06:55:21 PM »
Quote from: "Sharky"
Lord of War is my favorite recent movie
Nick cages best offering for a long time.  The character the film was based on has his own web site about this shit.  Can't remember the www though.

Saw Derrailed the other day and despite the poor reviews I found it entertaining.  I never guessed the twist, but then I deliberately try not to just so I can enjoy the spectacle.

Answers on a postcard

?

penguinlover

Favourite recent film
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2006, 07:20:20 PM »
I like V for Vendetta

Favourite recent film
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2006, 05:16:36 AM »
I saw most of Lord of War as the guys on the sub I was on watched it in Crew's Mess on an underway shortly before I got out of the navy.  I was disappointed because the movie displayed drug use and murder in ways that very much suggested they were not such a big deal.  This was a major turn-off.

As far as the extent of arms trading, I was in no way surprised after reading a book on a closely related topic - 'The Politics of Heroin' by Alfred McCoy.

However, I have heard and read time and again that 'Who Israel Arms and Why' by the israeli journalist Benjamin Beit-Hallahmi is quite the eye popper.  I have had trouble obtaining it new. It was originally published by Hebrew University in Jerusalem and is now out of print.

As far as recent movies, I do not condone suicide or terror, but I cannot disagree with the politics of "Paradise Now!" winner of the arabic film of the year award about two palestinian guys who are selected and asked to do a suicide bombing the following day and decide to accept.

An older movie which I thought much more the classic as it showed not only the truth of the situation and virtue of the underdogs and the evil of the colonialists but also the virtue of those few even on the colonialists side who had the humanity to show sympathy and respect for the heroes of the resistance is 'The Lion of the Desert' starring Anthony Quinn as Omar Moktar, the Libyan hero who resisted for twenty years the Italian invasion until he was caught by Mussolini's monster Graziani (the same general who four years after Moktar's execution headed the invasion of Abyssinia-Ethiopia).  Moktar is very much not only the greatest Libyan and one of the muslim world's top heroes of the twentieth century (and Colonel Khdaffi's inspiration) but one of the great freedom fighters of the twentieth century who for so long held out against fascism and colonialism and repression even as his people were put in concentration camps with actual footage shown in the movie.

- Dionysios

?

Stephen Hawkings

Favourite recent film
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2006, 06:56:14 AM »
Devil's Rejects. The ending sequence kicked major ass. Freebird.  8-)

?

Anonymous

Favourite recent film
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2006, 08:16:18 AM »
Hostel...that shit was sick

Jack1704

• Official Member
  • Francine?!?!?
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2011, 04:37:49 PM »
Currntly watching Bruno. Some people are slightly thick.
Stop all this nonesense and bring on the lapdancers.
I understand Jack1704. It's a Brit thing.

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2011, 10:17:42 PM »
This thread is so old, the server's molding!
Here's an explanation for ya. Lurk moar. Every single point you brought up has been posted, reposted, debated and debunked. There is a search function on this forum, and it is very easy to use.

Vindictus

• insightful personal text
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2011, 11:19:22 PM »
Posting in an old thread.

?

Verrine

• Friend of Dr Crustinator
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2011, 11:50:51 AM »

?

Hazbollah

• Flat Earth Editor
  • Earth Shape Apathetic.
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2011, 12:15:15 PM »
Centurion's quite good.
Always check your tackle- Caerphilly school of Health. If I see an innuendo in my post, I'll be sure to whip it out.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2011, 02:16:53 PM »
Black Swan was awesome.

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2011, 02:34:44 PM »
The most recent film I saw was Thor. It was all right, I guess. Also, I saw Enthiran(The Robot) a couple of months ago, and it was really good. It's a Tamil film about a doctor who builds a robotic duplicate of himself. It deals with the struggles of the robot, Chitti, who becomes self-aware and develops emotion, and also of the love triangle between Chitti, the doctor and his wife. Never having seen a real Bollywood film before, I was pleasantly surprised. The song and dance routines never felt forced like in some western musicals(I'm looking at you, Repo the genetic opera), and they were very well choreographed. Also, it helps that Aishwarya Raj plays the wife. I have a bit of a crush on her.
Here's an explanation for ya. Lurk moar. Every single point you brought up has been posted, reposted, debated and debunked. There is a search function on this forum, and it is very easy to use.

Jack1704

• Official Member
  • Francine?!?!?
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2011, 12:19:41 PM »
Just sitting down to watch Tron Legacy
Stop all this nonesense and bring on the lapdancers.
I understand Jack1704. It's a Brit thing.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2011, 07:11:27 PM »
Fight Club is only semi-recent, but it remains one of my favorites.
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

Ocius

• Official Member
  • Space President
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2011, 09:55:06 PM »
Just watched Crazy Heart with Jeff Bridges. He's a beastly actor as always, but he sort of just carries the movie. It's like yea, Jeff Bridges as an alcoholic and broken down, fading country singer is pretty awesome, but that's the only thing in the movie. None of the other characters really develop that much or do anything important.

Vindictus

• insightful personal text
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2011, 10:57:30 PM »
Jeff Bridges carries every movie.