The universe was created ten seconds ago

• 44 Replies

unclegravy

• I feel so fucking high!!!!!!
« on: February 18, 2007, 04:48:32 PM »
I have found certain books in our Library which have the author discussing that the earth was made ten seconds ago, with everything in it now.

They say that all memories, all planets, all people, were already created here. So, that memory of your wherein you vomitted while delivering a speech did not really happen!

Rejoice!
The people who feast on exclamation marks will never go hungry agaaaain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 04:52:03 PM »
Almost identical to the "we are all born at 10 years old" thread. Unfalsiable and therefore not science, but feel free to philosophize over it.

unclegravy

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 05:01:29 PM »
Ah, my good sir.
You would find, that the FE discussion is as unfalsiable because of certain members who summon the "Shadow Object" or the phrase "it's fake" whenever evidence against the FE theory is presented.

Would you tell them then that the FE theory is not science? I ask merely for information.
The people who feast on exclamation marks will never go hungry agaaaain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 05:03:51 PM »
I would. Nothing wrong with believing in it, though.

unclegravy

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 05:04:06 PM »
Furthermore, is there such a word as "unfalsiable"?
I took its meaning to be "cannot be proven false", but none of my dictionaries have it.

Clarification?

Re: The universe was created ten seconds ago
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 05:04:16 PM »
Quote from: "unclegravy"
I have found certain books in our Library which have the author discussing that the earth was made ten seconds ago, with everything in it now.

They say that all memories, all planets, all people, were already created here. So, that memory of your wherein you vomitted while delivering a speech did not really happen!

Rejoice!

That is very true, to say the least. How do we ever know we existed in the past? How do we know we shall exist ten seconds in the future? How do we even know we exist now?
olan Miller

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 05:05:30 PM »
Non-falsifiable may be the correct term. You got my intended meaning.

Quote from: "Nolan"
How do we even know we exist now?
Define "existence" in a way which does not imply that you exist now.

unclegravy

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 05:08:48 PM »
Nolan: I believe it was Descartes who said that, since we think, then we exist. this poses a problem though; you are only sure of one thing: that YOU exist.

Doubt then, my friend, that everyone else exists, for anyone can claim that they think, but only YOU can be sure that YOU do.

Robin S: I would like my last post regarding FE theory non-falsifiable.

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2007, 05:10:28 PM »
Sorry, what? I didn't quite understand that last bit.

unclegravy

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2007, 05:17:30 PM »
Erm, yes, I made a typographical error.

I would like you to reply to my post regarding FE theory being non-falsifiable also, since any member would say "it's a hoax", or "it does not exist" when evidence is presented.

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2007, 05:20:13 PM »
Quote from: "Robin S"
I would. Nothing wrong with believing in it, though.
I did.

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2007, 05:24:25 PM »
Quote from: "Robin S"
Non-falsifiable may be the correct term. You got my intended meaning.

Quote from: "Nolan"
How do we even know we exist now?
Define "existence" in a way which does not imply that you exist now.

That wasn't what I was getting at; rather, I was trying to point out that now is now, but then the past, and thus cannot be known if it ever truly existed or, in that sence, exists.
olan Miller

unclegravy

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2007, 05:24:36 PM »
Then why say that this theory of mine is non-falsifiable, if you go on to say that there is no fault in believeing it? Would you not have used your posts better elsewhere?

Now we have that out of the way...

My brothers! Yield now to this theory! Ten seconds ago, our creator or whatever caused all this, had just created us! Therefore, it would do us no good to have calendars...

Burn them all! All calendars and all time-keeping devices! Burn them, and let the burning stench spread our message to the whole world!

?

BOGWarrior89

• We are as one.
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2007, 05:25:51 PM »
Duh, you guys, everyone knows the world was made -100 years ago.  Get with the program!

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2007, 05:27:28 PM »
I have posted elsewhere, as you may observe by looking at the "last post" column on this forum's main page. If your theory was falsifiable, it wouldn't be a matter of believing it but rather of proving or disproving it. Only non-falsifiable theories merit belief or disbelief.

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2007, 05:28:33 PM »
Nolan: I believe it was Descartes who said that, since we think, then we exist. this poses a problem though; you are only sure of one thing: that YOU exist.

Doubt then, my friend, that everyone else exists, for anyone can claim that they think, but only YOU can be sure that YOU do.

But what even is existance? I exist now, to not later. My existance is only for an instant, to be replaced by another existance of myself due to a memory. If existance is only for lim_x->0 s, then how do we know we truly do exist?
olan Miller

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2007, 05:32:18 PM »
You still haven't defined what existence is, so your last question, though thought-provoking, is logically meaningless.

I would also, incidentally, recommend that you do not try to invoke limit theory in philosophy. The two would appear rarely to be compatible.

unclegravy

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2007, 05:37:26 PM »
Nolan: Exactly. You exist now, and that you are sure of. Whether you will exist two seconds later is hardly relevant.

Robin S: Why existence is BEING. If you are, then you exist. If you can affect, then you exist. If something has changed a sliver because of your doing, then you exist.

You are sure that your mind exists. Nothing else is for sure. But this you are sure of; your existence is such that someone has decided to dupe you, with fake hands, fake feet, a fake universe. How could you dupe that which does not exist?

Therefore, if you think along the lines "Do I exist", then you have already proven to yourself that you do exist.

Now, we are straying from the topic.

I have already burned all my calendars, and have, since ten seconds ago, refused to believe in time-keeping.

I suggest you all follow suit.

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2007, 05:39:45 PM »
Unfortunately, you appear to be defining the matter in terms of itself. Doing that tends to get rather tricky, logically speaking.

unclegravy

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2007, 05:43:31 PM »
That you exist if you affect anything that is not you?

unclegravy

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2007, 05:46:42 PM »
See, that's what I said, and you're saying it's defining unto itself?

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2007, 05:51:46 PM »
Nolan: Exactly. You exist now, and that you are sure of. Whether you will exist two seconds later is hardly relevant.

Haha. There's something I just don't believe about that but, since I lack evidence otherwise, I'll just stay with it.

Anyways, with the topic, I guess it could of, but it's rather improbable... as far as that goes.
olan Miller

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2007, 06:00:26 PM »
That you exist if you affect anything that is not you?
Albeit you are begging the question indirectly. How, for example, do you know whether you affect anything?

unclegravy

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2007, 07:36:31 PM »
By thinking.

If you are thinking, then you know you exist. Yes?

That is the only thing that you are sure exists (you). Yes?

Then, it follows that someone/something who/that is also existing is confusing your mind. Yes?

Didst thou not then affect his/its life, by giving him the need to confuse you?

?

BOGWarrior89

• We are as one.
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2007, 07:39:32 PM »
By thinking.

If you are thinking, then you know you exist. Yes?

That is the only thing that you are sure exists (you). Yes?

Then, it follows that someone/something who/that is also existing is confusing your mind. Yes?

Didst thou not then affect his/its life, by giving him the need to confuse you?

Prove to me that you exist.  Oh, you can't?  No more existence for you.

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2007, 07:21:35 PM »
Actually the FE theory can be proven false.

The problem is no RE'er to date has posted significant detailed proof of their own PERSONAL experiment to do so. They are too lazy to do more then link to a picture or raise stupid questions like "if u go round the flat erth u fal off lol?".

Essentially, your belief in an RE is just that, a belief. Prove it to yourself before you try convincing anyone else. Otherwise you are just preaching like a morman or a christian.
Quote from: BOGWarrior89

I'm giving you five points for that one

unclegravy

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2007, 01:21:26 AM »
Prove to me that you exist.  Oh, you can't?  No more existence for you.
Oh, frabjous day, callough, calleigh! I'll slap you around whichever way!

Didst thou not read my post, good madamme? I clearly stated that you can't prove your existence to anyone but yourself, since you alone know that you think.

Go thy way! Thou wouldst not from this grove till I torment thee for this injury!

unclegravy

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2007, 01:27:11 AM »
You wouldn't know if THEY existed in the first place, madamme.

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2007, 02:46:40 AM »
250 years ago, man in space was heresy.

Next.
My problem with his ideas is that it is a ridiculous thing.

Genius. PURE, undiluted genius.

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2007, 04:37:18 AM »
Well... if you believe flat earth... man was NOT in space... so...

Since my limited time here, I have not taken a stance. I simply point out things I find interesting, regarding both sides of this "flat fence"  ;)
My problem with his ideas is that it is a ridiculous thing.

Genius. PURE, undiluted genius.