Magnetic Pole Drift!

• 3 Replies
Magnetic Pole Drift!
« on: February 16, 2007, 07:03:56 PM »
Here's a fun one.
When lava or molten metals cool, the particles in the metals align themselves to the earths magnetic north pole.

It's been found that the magnetic north pole has not always been in it's current location. (In fact it's currently moving quite quickly...)

In fact, it's been noted that in periods of ancient history, the south pole has/was the north. Or at least, it was the strongest source of a magnetic north on the planet.

If the earth is not round, and doesnt converge back into a point on the bottom, how could all the rock particles line up to point at is as if there were a bottom to the earth?

:D Really hoping to weed out the smart people with some of these questions. :)

Magnetic Pole Drift!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 07:27:43 PM »
the terms "north" and "south" for magnetism are arbitrary names for analogous but opposite poles of a magnetic field.  if the north pole were to change to a south pole, compasses would still line up the same way, just with the magnet flipped 180 degrees.

I'm not sure if I understand your entire point, but the particles only need to align themselves in one direction (towards the north pole), not two.  If the north pole changes to a south pole, the particles will still align themselves with the same point on the earth, just flipped around.

Magnetic Pole Drift!
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 06:16:03 PM »
Quote from: "nurse diesel"
the terms "north" and "south" for magnetism are arbitrary names for analogous but opposite poles of a magnetic field.  if the north pole were to change to a south pole, compasses would still line up the same way, just with the magnet flipped 180 degrees.

I'm not sure if I understand your entire point, but the particles only need to align themselves in one direction (towards the north pole), not two.  If the north pole changes to a south pole, the particles will still align themselves with the same point on the earth, just flipped around.

The point being that to have to poles, you have to have 2 points. Not one point in the middle and one point completely surrounding.  

Secondly. If it were possible to have a north magnetic pole completely surrounded on all sides by a south magnetic ring, how could the pole drift? It would be pulled on equally form all directions?

Magnetic Pole Drift!
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 06:18:49 PM »
This topic is already being discussed, along with all other forms of magnetic evidence against FE theory...here

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1361&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=75
...population who believe in globularism solely on the basis of having been told so?