Tom- Please Read. Serious Post

• 19 Replies
?

Neophyte

« on: February 16, 2007, 04:20:43 PM »
I am a little sad that this forum seems to be simply about bashing Tom, and his beliefs.  It has become a joke.  I know the earth is round, but I feel that people shouldn't be made fun of, or ridiculed for their beliefs.  After all, we are each entitled to believe what we want to.

With that said, I have something to add to this discussion.

I have been a avid pilot for 20 years.  I have flown commercial jets, private planes, gliders, helicopters, etc.  It is indeed my life passion to fly.  That is why, 5 years ago, I decided to fly around the world.  Now, I must admit, it took me a month to do this, since I was flying my private plane, I had to take into consideration my limited fuel capacites.  But I did indeed end up flying around the whole of the earth.  I began in California, heading West, and continuing West, all the way to Georgia, where I was born.  I then flew back to California to finish my journey.  The adventure was quick extraordinary, and I am very proud I accomplished it.

So my problem is this-  When people say they truly believe the earth is flat, I cannot help but scoff.  I have experienced first hand how the world is indeed a globe, and have seen the curve of the earth on many different occasions.

Tom-  I am here for a serious conversation.  Please feel free to ask me anything, and to help make this a real conversation.  I have pictures as well from my journey.  I took pictures everyday, while in my plane, and from when I made pit-stops.  

I ask simply that you keep an open mind in this conversation, even if other people's opinions seem idiotic.  

Thanks,

Brett

Pyrochimp

• Senator Awesome
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 04:26:25 PM »
We don't hate Tom for being FE.  We hate him for giving irrelevant one-liner answers when he's backed into a corner during an arguement.  Plus that picture gets more annoying every time I see it...
Some people are ****ing stupid! ~ George Carlin

Mathematical proof of the flat Earth:
[{(Diameter of Earth)*(tan[distance from Earth to sun/distance from North pole to equator])}2]/0

?

kanabob

Re: Tom- Please Read. Serious Post
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 04:28:25 PM »
Quote from: "Neophyte"
I am a little sad that this forum seems to be simply about bashing Tom, and his beliefs.  It has become a joke.  I know the earth is round, but I feel that people shouldn't be made fun of, or ridiculed for their beliefs.  After all, we are each entitled to believe what we want to.

I have been a avid pilot for 20 years.  I have flown commercial jets, private planes, gliders, helicopters, etc.  It is indeed my life passion to fly.  That is why, 5 years ago, I decided to fly around the world.  Now, I must admit, it took me a month to do this, since I was flying my private plane, I had to take into consideration my limited fuel capacites.  But I did indeed end up flying around the whole of the earth.  I began in California, heading West, and continuing West, all the way to Georgia, where I was born.  I then flew back to California to finish my journey.  The adventure was quick extraordinary, and I am very proud I accomplished it.

So my problem is this-  When people say they truly believe the earth is flat, I cannot help but scoff.  I have experienced first hand how the world is indeed a globe, and have seen the curve of the earth on many different occasions.

Tom-  I am here for a serious conversation.  Please feel free to ask me anything, and to help make this a real conversation.  I have pictures as well from my journey.  I took pictures everyday, while in my plane, and from when I made pit-stops.  

I ask simply that you keep an open mind in this conversation, even if other people's opinions seem idiotic.  

Thanks,

Brett

Dude you don't have to fly around the world to know it's not flat. If you show pictures, they're fake, if you swear up and down you've seen the round earth, you're a consperitor. Hell, the harder to try to dis-prove their "theory" the more you strengthen it (in their minds).

Simply put, don't even bother... just enjoy some of the craziest people you'll ever find, writing some of the craziest shit you'll ever read.

?

NickK

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 04:33:06 PM »
Who's Tom?

?

Tom Bishop

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 04:34:08 PM »
I ask simply that you keep an open mind in this conversation.

Believe me, I have an open mind towards evidence demonstrating the roundness of the earth. But the truth is, I've seen more evidence that proves its flatness than anything that proves its roundness. Every observation, experiment and proof I've made has reinforced my belief in a Flat Earth. I encourage you to read the FE Literature and re-examine your beliefs. Come to your own conclusion, independent of what your first grade school teacher has told you.

That is why, 5 years ago, I decided to fly around the world.

Circumnavigation is entirely possible on a Flat Earth. Look at this map of the Flat Earth. You should take note that Magnetic North is in the center of the disk and Magnetic South is on the Rim. This makes the directions of East and West curved in such a fashion that following a compass East would take you around the world in a big circle. The curvature of this circle would be so slight that you would turn less than one degree every eighty miles.

North is Hubward, South is Rimward, East is Turnwise, and West is Widdershins.

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 04:35:55 PM »

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 04:36:26 PM »
Quote from: "NickK"
Who's Tom?

the asshole who made myspace.

?

m

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 04:36:33 PM »
Quote from: Tom Bishop
North is Hubward, South is Rimward, East is Turnwise, and West is Widdershins.

Is the entirety of your belief derived from Terry Pratchett's writings?  Do you think his books are non-fictional in their portrayal of geography?

?

Tom Bishop

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 04:40:00 PM »
Is the entirety of your belief derived from Terry Pratchett's writings?

Nope.

Do you think his books are non-fictional in their portrayal of geography?

Diskworld is a book of fiction.

?

m

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 04:43:37 PM »
Quote from: Tom Bishop
Diskworld is a book of fiction.

Of course it is - that's not what I meant.

I am asking whether you believe Terry Pratchett's portrayal of geography to be accurate?  Do you think the shape of his world is the true one?  Did he get his idea from your group, or vice versa?

Just curious.

?

Deived

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2007, 04:44:55 PM »
Based on this picture... how is in not daytime all the time if the Sun is moving around the top of the earth?  Is the sun flat too and angled? (serious question).  Also, what's on the other side of the rim? Space?
What about other planets Ive seen through my telescope and the moon?  Or those round but only earth flat?

?

GeoGuy

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2007, 04:45:45 PM »
Read the FAQ and any links that may be found in it.

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2007, 04:47:38 PM »
Quote from: "Tom Bishop"
Believe me, I have an open mind towards evidence demonstrating the roundness of the earth. But the truth is, I've seen more evidence that proves its flatness than anything that proves its roundness. Every observation, experiment and proof I've made has reinforced my belief in a Flat Earth.

No you don't.

You're arrogant. Blind. You are not open to proof. You look at all the bits of evidence, and what do you do when cornered? You deviate from the topic, you take digs at one's education.. That's what you do.

I don't like liars.

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2007, 04:49:32 PM »
i smell mexicans

?

Deived

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2007, 04:55:47 PM »
OK, I looked through the FAQ a bit and saw the spotlight explanation (uhh... OK).  How does that explain a crescent moon?

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2007, 04:57:47 PM »
Quote from: "Deived"
OK, I looked through the FAQ a bit and saw the spotlight explanation (uhh... OK).  How does that explain a crescent moon?

well obviously thats just a big piece of paper stuck in the sky that gets arranged every night so that people think the world is flat.......round i mean...lawlz

?

Neophyte

Debunking
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2007, 10:19:43 PM »
Tom,

You are basically saying that we (society and science) are incorrect on how a compass works?  Or are you saying that I was unknowingly turning 1 degree every so often, and thus unknowingly flown in one giant circle?  I mean look, I flew over the Pacific.  Your picture indicates that there is an ice wall basically inside the Pacific...  When we see a map laying on a table, we don't see how the sides of the map connect.  But they do, and I have seen that first hand...  

I have flown enough to know that the earth is a globe.  The problem is, people look back in history and see that a piece of society believed the earth to be flat...  It was Columbus who proved for many people that this was not the case.  But more so, it seems that people like Tom simply want to put their head in the past, and try to see the world today how people saw it back then.  The problem was, people back then couldn't get high enough to see how the world was truly shaped.  And if they did get high enough (like on a mountain), they couldn't fathom how we may indeed be a globe flying through space.  

Tom, it seems that you haven't been in a plane yourself.  How about this-  Go learn to fly, rent a plane, and fly around the globe.  See for yourself how you can't ever reach the icewall.  There is no such thing...  You can fly over the pacific, the Atlantic, and always reach your initial point by traveling across the globe...  

I guess I just find it sad that you have never flown and tested this yourself.  I mean, put ALL the evidence aside, even that which would make you believe in the FE theory, and go see for yourself!  Test it out and experience it!  Then come back here and enlighten us.  Show me and my fellow pilots how we've been mistaken.  But as it stands, you have no evidence, no foundation, no experience, except what you've READ in a BOOK.  Please, poke holes in my argument, that is what we are here to do.  I invite you, Tom, to do so to the best of your ability.  Thus far I have literally seen NO good arguments.  You seem like a somewhat educated man, yet you have presented no arguments.  I cannot help but think this is one big joke for you.  Someone who truly believed in this FE theory would most definitely have some proof and first hand knowledge to share when someone like me tries to debunk you.  Do your best, I implore you.

,Brett

Dead Kangaroo

• FES' Anchor Roo
  • The Elder Ones
  • K800 Model 101.
Re: Tom- Please Read. Serious Post
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2007, 10:52:39 PM »
Quote from: "Neophyte"

Thanks,

Brett
If he adjusted his attitude towards the FE unenlightened, then I'd give him some credit.

Pyrochimp

• Senator Awesome
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2007, 08:03:42 AM »
Quote from: "Hara Taiki"
Quote from: "Tom Bishop"
Believe me, I have an open mind towards evidence demonstrating the roundness of the earth. But the truth is, I've seen more evidence that proves its flatness than anything that proves its roundness. Every observation, experiment and proof I've made has reinforced my belief in a Flat Earth.

No you don't.

You're arrogant. Blind. You are not open to proof. You look at all the bits of evidence, and what do you do when cornered? You deviate from the topic, you take digs at one's education.. That's what you do.

I don't like liars.

*slow clap*
Some people are ****ing stupid! ~ George Carlin

Mathematical proof of the flat Earth:
[{(Diameter of Earth)*(tan[distance from Earth to sun/distance from North pole to equator])}2]/0

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2007, 08:06:17 AM »
Quote from: "Deived"

Idiot. Its called the shadow object, as quoted in my signature.
In FE Literature there are three celestial bodies that inhabit the sky. The Sun. The Moon. And the Shadow Object.
You have performed an illegal operation. Tom Bishop will now shut down, you will lose all unsaved arguments.