Your research is not complete; do your own field research

• 62 Replies
?

Tom

Your research is not complete; do your own field research
« on: June 04, 2015, 11:58:42 PM »
Your research is not complete. You leave the most important part out. Empirical research, long-distance observations with a
60x spotting scope on several days at different locations in different weather conditions.

Do you have the courage to do your own field research?

Only trust your own long-distance observations with a spotting scope.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 12:03:52 AM by Tom »

Re: Your research is not complete; do your own field research
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 01:27:59 AM »
The use of different colours really adds gravitas to your post.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

?

Weatherwax

• Grand Lover of Satan and Science
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 01:49:12 AM »
The second the first picture of Earth from space was taken, our "research" was done.
A delusion is something that someone believes in despite a total lack of evidence - Prof. Richard Dawkins.

?

Tom

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 01:53:12 AM »
The second the first picture of Earth from space was taken, our "research" was done.

You are forgetting the most simple aspect of research. Going in the field and see with your own eyes with a 60x spotting scope if objects at different distances are disappearing/sinking behind the calculated horizon. How difficult is that?

Your research is not complete without this simple experiment.

?

Tom

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 01:57:16 AM »
The use of different colours really adds gravitas to your post.

Add some colour to your life

?

Weatherwax

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 02:00:06 AM »

You are forgetting the most simple aspect of research. Going in the field and see with your own eyes with a 60x spotting scope if objects at different distances are disappearing/sinking behind the calculated horizon. How difficult is that?

What's the point? I've seen pictures of the Earth from space, so I know what shape it is.
A delusion is something that someone believes in despite a total lack of evidence - Prof. Richard Dawkins.

?

Tom

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 02:01:23 AM »

What's the point? I've seen pictures of the Earth from space, so I know what shape it is.

Then, don't. Do what you like.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 02:03:52 AM by Tom »

?

Weatherwax

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 02:04:28 AM »

Then, don't

Okay. BTW, I live on the coast. I've watched hundreds of ships disappear over the horizon, always bottom first.

?

Tom

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 02:06:06 AM »

Then, don't

Okay. BTW, I live on the coast. I've watched hundreds of ships disappear over the horizon, always bottom first.

Good for you.

I only trust my own long-distance observations.

?

Weatherwax

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 02:27:49 AM »
I also believe in radioactivity, but I dont feel the need to repeat Marie Curie's experiments.

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 02:41:17 AM »

Over the course of the last 40 years or more i have observed an object called the Sun dissapear below the horizon and also observed it becomes visible again when I go up a hill.

I have also over the last 20 years or so been aware that when it is cloudy at the coast and into the mountains that when the sun sets the distance mountains under the clouds are lit by the setting sun as are the under sides of the clouds even while there is total cloud cover from the mountains to the coast for tens of miles.

There is no need to observe these things with a spotting scope.  You only need the spotting scope for observing a tiny distant object like a ship.

Only a very poorly educated or very naive person can believe the world is flat

?

Tom

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 03:15:02 AM »

Over the course of the last 40 years or more i have observed an object called the Sun dissapear below the horizon and also observed it becomes visible again when I go up a hill.

I have also over the last 20 years or so been aware that when it is cloudy at the coast and into the mountains that when the sun sets the distance mountains under the clouds are lit by the setting sun as are the under sides of the clouds even while there is total cloud cover from the mountains to the coast for tens of miles.

There is no need to observe these things with a spotting scope.  You only need the spotting scope for observing a tiny distant object like a ship.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 04:15:47 AM »
Why is a spotting scope the only valid way to determine anything?

Plus, if we can't use other peoples' word, how do we know the spotting scope is as effective as they say? Shouldn't we need to build our own from scratch?
Fact is, a crucial part of science is standing on the shoulders of giants: using already known facts, and developing from there.
We all know deep in our hearts that Jane is the last face we'll see before we're choked to death!

Conker

• Official FES jerk / kneebiter
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2015, 04:43:13 AM »
The number of possible experiments is infinite. Since people don't like wasting their time, we can usually not do an experiment if we already have data to infer the result of such a experiment; for example, in the case of sinking ships, I have seen them disapear, and I know that binoculars do not work over the horizon (I live in a bay area, and I can't see the beach on the other side with a telescope). Also, most people trust independent peer reviewed research for non-critical experiments, since again, we only have limited time. And lets not forget about dangerous research, like Marie Curie's.
This is not a joke society.
Quote from: OpenedEyes
You shouldn't be allowed to talk on a free discussion forum.

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2015, 05:03:19 AM »

Ah yes.  How foolish of me.  I must try harder.  Must not forget.  must use 60X spotting scope to see things with my own eyes. 

Must try harder.....not use own eyes.....must use 60x spotting scope.....must try harder.......

Cannot trust my own eyes......cannot trust my own eyes.....must use 60X spotting scope

Yes my own research was flawed because i used my eyes......must not forget.....cannot trust eyes.......

I need to return to NZ and complete my research of last 17 years.........need 60x spotting scope to see upside down man in the moon.....cannot trust eyes........need spotting scope to see south west sunsets in New Zealand..........I am totally stupid.....cannot trust eyes......need technology to see............
I was totally naive to believe i could trust my eyes......I was fooled.....only technology enables me to see........

« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 05:13:13 AM by Aliveandkicking »

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2015, 05:09:00 AM »
Let's go into Tom's experimental methodology:

1 Buy spotting scope
2 Stand on beach a look at stuff with spotting scope
3 ....
4 Profit??

Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

?

Tom

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2015, 05:11:52 AM »
The number of possible experiments is infinite. Since people don't like wasting their time, we can usually not do an experiment if we already have data to infer the result of such a experiment; for example, in the case of sinking ships, I have seen them disapear, and I know that binoculars do not work over the horizon (I live in a bay area, and I can't see the beach on the other side with a telescope). Also, most people trust independent peer reviewed research for non-critical experiments, since again, we only have limited time. And lets not forget about dangerous research, like Marie Curie's.

You can discuss RE-FE for a hundred years, but you will never be sure if you don't do your own long-distance observations with a spotting scope on a reasonably clear day. It's the only way.

If you don't have time to do that and are not interested then don't.

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2015, 05:14:34 AM »

You can discuss RE-FE for a hundred years, but you will never be sure if you don't do your own long-distance observations with a spotting scope on a reasonably clear day. It's the only way.

Yes Tom is right....cannot trust my eyes.....only way to see is with 60x spotting scope

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2015, 05:15:41 AM »

I can see you have no idea what research actually consists of. The simplest and first aspect of research is ALWAYS the library.

Science always builds upon the work performed by others in the field in order that time is not wasted just doing the same research over and over again. Otherwise we would just stand still and never make progress.

Do you honestly think that apple, dell, asus, intel etc go back to the start and redo all the research that has ever gone into resistance, inductance, capacitance, semi-conductors, PCB printing, thermodynamics, metallurgy, materials science....? No, they use what research has already been conducted, confirm its relevance and use it.

For the round earth argument. The prior research would be the greek experiments into the size of the earth, the enormous amount of information and evidence produced by the space industry and also my own eyes every time I look at the movement of the sun, the stars, perspective of the ground and sky, flight paths of aircraft, sunsets and sunrises, the horizon.

Sorry but dont need to go out and confirm with a spotting scope the evidence is already there and has been repeated countless times.

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

?

Tom

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2015, 05:15:58 AM »

Yes Tom is right....cannot trust my eyes.....only way to see is with 60x spotting scope

got it?

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2015, 05:17:03 AM »

got it?

Might want to look up 'irony' in the dictionary.....
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

?

Tom

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2015, 05:27:44 AM »

got it?

Might want to look up 'irony' in the dictionary.....

Are you one of those persons who insist to explain a 'joke'?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 05:30:40 AM by Tom »

?

Weatherwax

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2015, 05:41:03 AM »

Wrong. The Earth was proved to be a sphere before any kind of "spotting scope" existed.

?

Tom

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2015, 06:48:37 AM »

Good luck with your intellectual discussions!

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2015, 09:47:36 AM »
Out of curiosity Tom, what other areas do you insist on having personal observation (but only a single specific type of observation) before making a decision?

Remember, evolution has never produced an Oreo in nature, therefore heart surgery is impossible.

?

Tom

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2015, 10:15:33 AM »
Out of curiosity Tom, what other areas do you insist on having personal observation (but only a single specific type of observation) before making a decision?

The woman I will have sex with.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2015, 10:18:41 AM »

Do you use a spotting scope?
We all know deep in our hearts that Jane is the last face we'll see before we're choked to death!

Lemmiwinks

• President of the Non-Conformist Zetetic Council
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2015, 10:19:51 AM »

We aren't talking hypothetical situations, we mean things you'll actually have to do some day.
I have 13 [academic qualifications] actually. I'll leave it up to you to guess which, or simply call me a  liar. Either is fine.

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2015, 10:22:29 AM »
Tom, why are you so stuck on the notion that long distance spotting is the only way to determine the Earth's shape?
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

?

Weatherwax

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2015, 10:28:25 AM »
Tom, why are you so stuck on the notion that long distance spotting is the only way to determine the Earth's shape?

He owns a shop that sells nothing but 60X spotting scopes.