• 17 Replies

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« on: December 13, 2012, 03:03:04 AM »
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 05:10:28 AM by sceptimatic »

?

Major Twang

• Astronomer
Re: Has anyone ever measured Earth's circumference?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 04:23:20 AM »
I'm not on about the Greek who looked down a well and saw the sun or shadows here and there.
I want to know if anyone has ever actually measured the Earth's circumference by normal means, whether it be a plane or whatever, where the actual starting point is dead centre back to the exact place.

Also, how does anyone know which is dead centre on the Earth to which they can take this measurement if there has ever been one?

Radius can be measured by normal surveying methods.

1) Find a high point that overlooks the sea
2) Sight the horizon from that point
3) Measure the angle between the horizontal & the horizon
4) Do a little trigonometry
5) Multiply by 2Pi to get the (approx) circumference

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radius_of_earth

Biruni did it in the 11th century & arrived at a figure within a percent or so of the current accepted figure for the location he did it.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 04:52:27 AM by Major Twang »

Wolf

• Flat Earth non-believer
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 04:37:08 AM »
If the earth is flat, that's a very good question...
lol - they actually believe the earth is flat!

?

joffenz

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 10:05:48 AM »
Different people will give different answers, but I would say the Earths circumference has not been measured in the way you describe.

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 10:40:59 AM »
You could also get a good idea from unsea cables.
http://news.cnet.com/2300-1033_3-6035611.html

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 10:55:27 AM »
I think that given the size and nature of the reality we live in;  any sort of a trail of string or tape or shiny rocks we leave behind as we journey in one direction would be vandalized by hoodlums.

?

zeroply

• Flat Earth believer
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 08:30:36 PM »
I'm not on about the Greek who looked down a well and saw the sun or shadows here and there.
I want to know if anyone has ever actually measured the Earth's circumference by normal means, whether it be a plane or whatever, where the actual starting point is dead centre back to the exact place.

Also, how does anyone know which is dead centre on the Earth to which they can take this measurement if there has ever been one?

Excellent question. I did some research, and you are right - no one has actually measured the "circumference" by direct means It's always by calculations removed by the third of fourth degree. Yes, I know what you're about to say - that's a tad suspicious.

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 10:08:42 PM »

Excellent question. I did some research, and you are right - no one has actually measured the "circumference" by direct means It's always by calculations removed by the third of fourth degree. Yes, I know what you're about to say - that's a tad suspicious.
why would one waste time and money measuring the circumference in a boat or plain when it can be done with simple mathematics

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 10:22:39 PM »

why would one waste time and money measuring the circumference in a boat or plain when it can be done with simple mathematics

So that people who don't understand mathematics can be sure we know the size of the earth, obviously.

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 11:50:37 PM »

So that people who don't understand mathematics can be sure we know the size of the earth, obviously.
???not sure if youre being sarcastic, ill reply anyways
they should learn mathematics then lol

?

MrT

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 04:57:35 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_circumnavigations

Here is a list of circumnavigations.  They date back to a time long before an accurate distance travelled could likely be recorded, but recent, non-stop airplane and marine trips have been done, with distances listed.
The above is not meant to be an attack or inflammatory, it's just what I think.

Quote from: Tom Bishop
I don't understand

?

squevil

• Official Member
  • Im Telling On You
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 09:30:02 AM »
The ISS does this every 90 minutes

?

Thork

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2012, 04:52:50 PM »
No it doesn't.

#" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">International Space Station Hoax : Air Bubbles Rise- Space Walks Simulated in A Massive Water Pool

Could you link a video with a little more pixels?
I'm sorry. As the only person in the world able to use Google search, I try to restrict my use so as I don't use it all up.

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2012, 06:34:51 PM »
I don't think the video is fake.  I think people don't realize there are other things that float.  Those were most certainly not air bubbles.  One wasn't even bubular.  What a big imagination you have though, Thork.
Quote from: Heiwa
You are ignoring this user. Show me the post.

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2012, 07:28:43 PM »
No it doesn't.

#" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">International Space Station Hoax : Air Bubbles Rise- Space Walks Simulated in A Massive Water Pool

Could you link a video with a little more pixels?
I'm sorry. As the only person in the world able to use Google search, I try to restrict my use so as I don't use it all up.

You are the one who likes looking for conspiracy videos anyway, and the one trying to tell others that a few indistinguishable white pixels are air bubbles in a water tank.