Jeep pickup trucks exist!

• 51 Replies

Vindictus

• insightful personal text
Re: Jeep pickup trucks exist!
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2013, 03:40:42 PM »
Don't you guys have a Ford, Mazda and VW ute? Or even a Hilux? Just about anything is better than a Jeep.

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2013, 04:44:57 PM »
Why do Americans like ugly cars?

It's ugly, impracticable and expensive. It's probably unreliable as well.

Buy a proper car.

iwanttobelieve is not an American.
Yes and we have blocked from entering here. :) :) :)
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

Rushy

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2013, 05:27:05 PM »
Don't you guys have a Ford, Mazda and VW ute? Or even a Hilux? Just about anything is better than a Jeep.

You keep saying "better" as if all vehicles perform one distinct purpose.

Vindictus

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2013, 07:04:04 PM »

Everything the Jeep does, those cars do better. With the exception of it being unreliable.

Junker

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2013, 09:59:17 PM »

Everything the Jeep does, those cars do better. With the exception of it being unreliable.

No, they don't.  You are clearly absolutely clueless about the purpose of a Jeep.

Vindictus

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2013, 10:05:40 PM »

No, they don't.  You are clearly absolutely clueless about the purpose of a Jeep.

They're big ugly money sinks with some off-road viability, depending on the model. A Jeep ute is bested by a couple of other competitors. At least that's the case over here, and I'm pretty sure all Jeeps come from the same place.

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2013, 10:24:24 AM »

With the exception of getting through mud holes and rough terrain and winching your way out.  Regarding the Hilux, sadly no.  We don't have those.

Would I use that jeep as a daily driver?  No.  Actually I'd never spend 80k on it anyway.  I'd prefer an older Toyota 4x4 truck for serious off-roading. 

Rushy

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2013, 10:40:02 AM »
I'd prefer an older Toyota 4x4 truck for serious off-roading.

Which is, funny enough, what I already have. The only reason I haven't gotten any sort of Jeep yet is because the only real reason I want one is I find them aesthetically pleasing.

Vindictus

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2013, 11:22:49 AM »

With the exception of getting through mud holes and rough terrain and winching your way out.  Regarding the Hilux, sadly no.  We don't have those.

Would I use that jeep as a daily driver?  No.  Actually I'd never spend 80k on it anyway.  I'd prefer an older Toyota 4x4 truck for serious off-roading.

Wow, you don't have hiluxes? Most people over here use Nissan Patrols and old Toyota Landcruisers for offroading. Never seen a jeep used off road in Australia.

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2013, 12:51:03 PM »
We have the Toyota Tacoma, which would be equivalent to the Hilux I guess, but we don't get that neat diesel engine.  I guess the manufacturer feels no one would buy it, and the EPA would ruin it anyway.

Junker

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2013, 02:14:54 PM »
Unless you are converting a Toyota or Nissan to a Pre-runner, you aren't going anywhere near the number of places a properly equipped Jeep is going.

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2013, 02:20:27 PM »
Why do Americans like ugly cars?

It's ugly, impracticable and expensive. It's probably unreliable as well.

Buy a proper car.

iwanttobelieve is not an American.

I was referring to the original post not iwanttobelieve.

Rushy

« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2013, 09:37:52 AM »
Unless you are converting a Toyota or Nissan to a Pre-runner

Pre-runners are 2WD. Not sure why you think that is better than 4WD.

, you aren't going anywhere near the number of places a properly equipped Jeep is going.

I can go, it just takes more effort, since I can't lock the differential.

Junker

« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2013, 12:49:06 PM »

Not sure why you think I think that.

I can go, it just takes more effort, since I can't lock the differential.

Good?

Rushy

« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2013, 01:08:00 PM »

Not sure why you think I think that.

The designation "pre-runner" means that the vehicle is 4x2.

http://www.toyota.com/search-inventory/#!/results/2014/tacoma

This isn't anything new to the world of off-roading.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 01:10:28 PM by Rushy »

EnigmaZV

« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2013, 02:17:16 PM »
Unless you are converting a Toyota or Nissan to a Pre-runner, you aren't going anywhere near the number of places a properly equipped Jeep is going.

I have an issue with the term "properly equipped." a "properly equipped" Jeep could be outfitted in such a way as to make it into an amphibious vehicle, capable of trips across lakes.
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Vindictus

« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2013, 09:44:16 PM »
Why are your pickup trucks so big? They're bloody massive and they're empty half the time.

Also why are there so many Mustangs around? Is it just Hawaii or what?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 09:45:49 PM by Vindictus »

« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2013, 10:33:41 PM »
I've wanted a Jeep pickup since I found out they existed a couple years back.  Also, totally jealous of the Toyota Hilux.  It seems any country outside of CAN/US has far more fun looking small trucks than we do.  Even those tiny little Japanese mini-trucks with 4WD/lockers look more fun to drive than any factory American truck that will spend 99% of it's life with an empty bed.

« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2013, 09:29:36 AM »
Why are your pickup trucks so big? They're bloody massive and they're empty half the time.

I have a 3/4 ton extended cab truck with an 8 foot bed so I can haul more people easily (not as easily as a quad cab though) and 3-5 kayaks or my ATV or a big load of firewood.  I can even put a canopy on it, roll my quad inside and pile in other stuff around it when I go to the dunes, or stuff 3 kayaks and a mountain bike inside, and close and lock it.  That large bed with a canopy also makes a nice roomy place to sleep after a storm comes through while camping and snaps one of the rods in my tent.

It's also 4wd, and even though I don't use it for off-road fun, it does help in getting through bad stuff on occasion.

I should mention it's not my daily driver.  I have a car for that.

Now for the mustangs, I don't know.  I see quite a few around here too.  Probably because they've been produced non-stop for so long and are more or less affordable.

Vindictus

« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2013, 11:06:02 AM »

I have a 3/4 ton extended cab truck with an 8 foot bed so I can haul more people easily (not as easily as a quad cab though) and 3-5 kayaks or my ATV or a big load of firewood.  I can even put a canopy on it, roll my quad inside and pile in other stuff around it when I go to the dunes, or stuff 3 kayaks and a mountain bike inside, and close and lock it.  That large bed with a canopy also makes a nice roomy place to sleep after a storm comes through while camping and snaps one of the rods in my tent.

It's also 4wd, and even though I don't use it for off-road fun, it does help in getting through bad stuff on occasion.

I should mention it's not my daily driver.  I have a car for that.

Now for the mustangs, I don't know.  I see quite a few around here too.  Probably because they've been produced non-stop for so long and are more or less affordable.

Yeah, that's a reason for such big trucks, if we go out with atvs or bikes we need a trailer and can't take anything else on the tray. I can't fathom why so many Americans have them though. They must be an absolute prick to park.

I do envy your petrol and car prices though. Saw an ad for the mazda 6 on the television, $20,990 brand new. That shit costs upwards of $32,000 back home. Don't know why everyone isn't driving around big v8 sports cars.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 11:08:31 AM by Vindictus »

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2013, 01:30:29 PM »
Why do cars have 4 seats when 3 of them are empty half the time?
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

EnigmaZV

« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2013, 02:01:34 PM »

Actually, there are a disproportionally large number of Mustangs in Hawaii, but the truck bed is designed to fit standard pieces of construction materials, like 2x4s, and sheets of plywood.
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.