Professor Dave Explains - 10 Challenges for flat earthers

• 95 Replies

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
Re: Professor Dave Explains - 10 Challenges for flat earthers
« Reply #60 on: February 29, 2020, 01:09:08 AM »
And that pie chart supplied you with that expertise.

So I take it you were innately born with all of your expertise?

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #61 on: February 29, 2020, 01:13:04 AM »
No I got it from pie charts and googling to prove folks wrong on the internet.

The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: February 29, 2020, 01:14:17 AM »
This home is protected. If you'd like us to keep making a fool of ya, keep around. We need something to do while we are right.

MaNaeSWolf

• Show me the evidence
« Reply #63 on: February 29, 2020, 01:15:30 AM »
Too bad we are devolving to insulting now. So Ill quickly place this here and go.

Aircraft do not have unlimited range, and those with a long range have a choice between more fuel or cargo. This is obvious and not worth discussing.
But it also means that certain aircraft are designed for different routes.
Long routes, such at the 11 000km+ routes that are flown in the Southern Hemisphere are flown with special aircraft. We know how much fuel they take, and their maximum range. This is not UFO technology, stuff is built by people. So I am not even sure what Johns argument is.

As mentioned, airlines go belly up a lot, because its a cost competitive market, with many airlines being unfairly subsidized. So most are not going to fly higher cost flights if they dont absolutely have to.

First off - Give me some specific and real flight paths. Not three random continents and places.
There are not that many flights that go that far in the world, but the main ones are
Jhb - Perth  - SAA280
Jhb - Sau Paulo - SAA222
Melbourne - Santiago - LATAM 804
I have flown one of them, its real and does not take twice as long as they say it does.

Beyond that, as an intelligent person you can surely invent a map that would fit your scenario. What does that say of your metrics? What if you proceeded as such and made a dinosaur of the whole thing - ad hoc it all the way?
I bet I could make a projection that would work with just the 3 flights in the southern hemisphere. But I cant make a projection that would make 3 flights in the southern hemisphere work and another 3 similar distance flights in the northern hemisphere work as well.
Its not just about one or two flights that need to work. Its about making ALL the flights work.

If you move fast enough, everything appears flat

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: February 29, 2020, 01:16:35 AM »
Good go back to your fucking homes. This is ours.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #65 on: February 29, 2020, 01:18:09 AM »

So that's where you got your expertise that commercial passenger airlines pay no mind to fuel costs, consumption, and distances?

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: February 29, 2020, 01:23:11 AM »

So that's where you got your expertise that commercial passenger airlines pay no mind to fuel costs, consumption, and distances?
Are orthodox men really this dense?

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #67 on: February 29, 2020, 01:27:22 AM »
This home is protected. If you'd like us to keep making a fool of ya, keep around. We need something to do while we are right.

“The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.”

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: February 29, 2020, 01:31:03 AM »
Let us find out who the fool is then. Or you can go on home. I think you've shown yourself a fool or full of shit better than a candle experiment ever could.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #69 on: February 29, 2020, 01:38:53 AM »
Let us find out who the fool is then. Or you can go on home. I think you've shown yourself a fool or full of shit better than a candle experiment ever could.

I think you've bested everyone this evening in the fool & full of shit department. Hat's off to you.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: February 29, 2020, 01:43:05 AM »
Off home it is then.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #71 on: February 29, 2020, 01:58:49 AM »
Any man who has flown knows that fuel consumption is dependent upon weather.
To a limited extent only and planes carry a reserve for that but not enough to endlessly hunt for their destination.
No one said they did. But let's be honest. They don't run out because they have more than enough.
But commercial planes do not carry unnecessary fuel.

Quote from: John Davis
You know, because engineering and its cheap to build a larger fuel tank and fill it up.
It is not "cheap to build a larger fuel tank and fill it up"!

There is no cost benefit in filling up a half tank.
No so, there is a huge financial benefit in filling with no more fuel than needed after allowing for possible diversions and emergencies.
Carrying extra weight, be it fuel or anything else costs performance in terms of speed and fuel consumption.
As a result airlines do a careful analysis to determined the best fuel load for a flight and that can even depend on the relative costs of fuel and the extra turnaround time if refueling is necessary.

I won't bother with the rest of your post other than:
Now where is your map?

And it has to be a map with no "uncrossable edges" because the Earth has been circumnavigated in virtually every direction imaginable.
And this includes around the Earth within ±2° of the Equator and via both the North Pole and the South Pole.
Really?
Yes really, unless you claim that many if these circumnavigations are just "fake news" as many flat-Earthers have claimed.

Of course your "non-Euclidean map" might explain all that.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 02:20:53 AM by rabinoz »

JackBlack

« Reply #72 on: February 29, 2020, 02:00:52 AM »
You know, because engineering and its cheap to build a larger fuel tank and fill it up. There is no cost benefit in filling up a half tank.
No, there is a benefit.
Remember, planes fly by generating lift.
For the duration of the flight, they need to generate enough lift to negate their weight.
This lift requires fuel to produce as it slows the aircraft down.
More fuel, means more weight, which means more fuel is burnt, which costs more money.

You may as well have said there is no cost benefit in not filling up a hole with jet fuel and lighting it on fire.

Then there is also the issue of the maximum weight the plane can handle, which is lower when landing.
Filling up the tank every time could result in them needing to dump a large amount of fuel to be able to land.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #73 on: February 29, 2020, 02:04:37 AM »

I think you've bested everyone this evening in the fool & full of shit department. Hat's off to you.

I think John forgot to sign out of his account and log in with his Papa Legba account  :o

In all seriousness are you okay John? I hope its only faux rage we are seeing. This style and language of posting seems beneath a secretary and leader of the best Flat Earth forum and society on the internet. You can beat people with your intellect, not base language.

Yes they do. They say they do. In the event they need to go to another airport or circle around one for a while before landing clearance etc. And weather indeed impacts fuel consumption. Flying against 200km/h winds against the nose vs the tail for example.

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: February 29, 2020, 02:07:42 AM »
Fuck off this is not your home. I've had enough of you shitting on us. Fair was fair enough, but that is not what this is. Also those arguments are just trash and you know it. Anyone who reads it should know it too.

But hey, how bravely you face us - with your sixteen pounder gun. That should be something that you can bring home and fuck your wife with.

We are coming. You have sowed these seeds. I have made a point of making this society not based on any evangelical cause. You have come here.

We will defend ourselves.  IN VERITATE VICTORIA

I have no alts Shifter. I am who I am, and this is my home and I will defend it.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #75 on: February 29, 2020, 02:09:07 AM »
Beneath a secretary was putting up with this bullshit. This is a home to the wayward. You can go fuck off home.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #76 on: February 29, 2020, 02:13:26 AM »
Beneath a secretary was putting up with this bullshit. This is a home to the wayward. You can go fuck off home.

Is this passion and language the style and tone you want to set for your society though? You can defend your home and still express the same passion for doing so without the potty mouth.

Because the foul language demotes your intelligence and seemingly grants an intellectual 'win' to those you argue against. You are better than they are. Better than this

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #77 on: February 29, 2020, 02:14:47 AM »
Have you tried you "candle experiment" yet and proven that the earth is a very small sphere ;D?

As I said you seem to end up with ridicule and ad hominem, so sad!

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: February 29, 2020, 02:19:56 AM »
If you stay, We will fight you for 800 more.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: February 29, 2020, 02:21:40 AM »
And yes, I had a laugh or two at your expense. Oh dinosaurs are fake, and candles can't burn a thread.  You lot have finally lit the fuse. Where are the cheers and jeers now?

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: February 29, 2020, 02:22:26 AM »
The flat earth ideology is right. Perhaps I was a Hampden after all.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: February 29, 2020, 02:29:55 AM »
Oh shit wear your fucking sun glasses at night! The Flat Earth Nation is coming. And we have been building it for years. It's almost like you can build a whole fucking nation out of an idea others think is foolish outside a forum and even with dickhats being cute and having their own thing. That would not be fair to have a surprise like that. So here it is. Fair warning.

We are coming. And we will dismantle your academics and your little religions.

Get out of our fucking homes. This is your last chance. After this, of course, you know this means war.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: February 29, 2020, 02:31:09 AM »

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #83 on: February 29, 2020, 02:37:14 AM »

Yes they do. They say they do. In the event they need to go to another airport or circle around one for a while before landing clearance etc. And weather indeed impacts fuel consumption. Flying against 200km/h winds against the nose vs the tail for example.
I said "commercial planes do not carry unnecessary fuel" and if you read further you'd find that I expanded on that:
There is no cost benefit in filling up a half tank.
No so, there is a huge financial benefit in filling with no more fuel than needed after allowing for possible diversions and emergencies.
And I doubt that any plane would be unexpectedly "Flying against 200km/h winds against the nose vs the tail for example".
Rather than that they would change altitude or course.
The jet streams are well monitored, for example Tracking the jet streams from space.
The planes flight computer will also show the current winds.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #84 on: February 29, 2020, 02:50:39 AM »
And yes, I had a laugh or two at your expense. Oh dinosaurs are fake, and candles can't burn a thread.  You lot have finally lit the fuse. Where are the cheers and jeers now?
If you're so immature that "a laugh or two at others expense" makes you happy, good luck.

But it's obvious that you have never attempted the "candle experiment" or you might realise just how much a 400 metre "thread" sags.

You can cheer and jeer to your heart's content but that changes nothing.

You said: 
The disproofs of a round earth are so plentiful and readily available that we can show its absurdity with ease at the beck and call of any globularist
Well, your "crate experiment" proved nothing and your "candle experiment" sagged away to oblivion so what's next on this great list of "disproofs of a round earth"?

« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 01:51:38 PM by rabinoz »

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: February 29, 2020, 02:53:18 AM »
Your piece meal examples will not convince any flat earther.

The current winds say little of those winds ahead. I worry you are being a bit silly about this. So these jets, you say, are optimizing around jet streams? That changes a lot of things don't you think? So they find the clearest path through jet streams or using them - and yet we trust they can accurately predict their gas usage when we can't predict the weather?

It's hard to swallow. I want to believe, but come on. It would make life a lot easier to believe.  The pilots I met don't give enough fucks for that.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: February 29, 2020, 02:53:54 AM »
If you're so immature that "a laugh or two at others expense" that makes you happy, good luck.

But it's obvious that you have never attempted the "candle experiment" or you might realise just how much a 400 metre "thread" sags.

You can cheer and jeer to your heart's content but that changes nothing.

You said: 
The disproofs of a round earth are so plentiful and readily available that we can show its absurdity with ease at the beck and call of any globularist
Well, your "crate experiment" proved nothing and your "candle experiment" sagged away to oblivion so what's next on this great list of "disproofs of a round earth"?

They aren't a laugh as I explained to previously.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: February 29, 2020, 02:57:27 AM »
Or do you forget, "rab"?

JackBlack

« Reply #88 on: February 29, 2020, 03:55:55 AM »
and yet we trust they can accurately predict their gas usage when we can't predict the weather?
It is called a margin of error.
They don't carry just enough to get to their destination, there will always be some margin of error, unless there is a screw up like when Canadia switched to metric with Air Canada Flight 143 running out of fuel.
If they just filled it up that wouldn't have happened.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #89 on: February 29, 2020, 04:44:18 AM »
Your piece meal examples will not convince any flat earther.
Said flat-Earther probably doesn't believe that there are satellites that can and do monitor the winds, including the jets streams.

The current winds say little of those winds ahead. I worry you are being a bit silly about this. So these jets, you say, are optimizing around jet streams?
I said no such thing!

But even before the flight takes off the flight route is chosen with regard to the current winds.

That changes a lot of things don't you think?
give enough fucks for that.

So they find the clearest path through jet streams or using them - and yet we trust they can accurately predict their gas usage when we can't predict the weather?
The jet streams at 30,000 to 40,000 feet are far more predictable than surface winds but even surface winds are not quite as fickle as you make out except for thunderstorms and the like.

When it is said that "we can't predict the weather" it usually just means that we cannot predict exactly where it will rain but the general weather conditions are usually fairly predictable over a day or two.
And even the likelihood of thunderstorms might be known even is not exactly where.

It's hard to swallow. I want to believe, but come on. It would make life a lot easier to believe.  The pilots I met don't give enough fucks for that.
And how many long-distance international pilots have you met?

You can believe what you like but flights like the QF27 non-stop from Sydney to Santiago are flown on 6 days a week.
But even now QANTAS uses the Boeing 747-438(ER) 4-engined plane because there are very few alternate airports to use in case of an engine failure.
Though they expect to change over to the Boeing 787-9 during this year.
The return flight QF28 non-stop from Santiago to Sydney commonly flies very far south, sometimes close the 70°S latitude line .

As to extra fuel there is this:
Flight Review: Qantas Business Class Sydney To Santiago
There is a delay taking off-something technical about a sealant or adhesive and as nobody wants things to fall off mid flight no-one seems particularly bothered. It takes about an hour to rectify the situation and then we are taxiing down the runway with the captain explaining that they have 2 tonnes of extra fuel that will allow them to fly at a higher mach so we won't lose much time.
The maximum fuel load of that plane is 227,572 litres or about 183 tonnes and a typical flight might burn about 195,000 litres or 157 tonnes.

New Zealand, however, currently has slightly different ETOPS rules and Air New Zealand does currently use the Boeing 777-219(ER) for the Aukland to/from Buenos Aries route.

If you are interested, this refers to a post by a QANTAS pilot about the Santiago to Sydney flight:
This whole thread about that flight is worth reading: A Flight over the Antarctic Sea Ice From Chile to Australia (QF28).

It has a post about another flight, this one flown by TWcobra:
Quote from: TWCobra
Abishua, I flew the QF28 flight from Santiago to Sydney a few days ago. I mean physically flew the aircraft, a 747.

We flew within sight of the Antarctic, down to 71.5 degrees south. We can go further south on that route but are limited to 71.5 south by lack of line of sight to the ATC communications satellites over the equator.

That in itself should tell you the world is not flat, however, can you understand that airlines are commercial entities, where containing fuel costs are paramount to maintaining profitability?

Santiago and Sydney are almost on the exact same latitude of 34'00 south. Sydney's Longitude is 151 deg East and Santiago is at 72 deg W. To fly between the two cities I must cover 137 lines, or degrees of longitude.. Correct?

The flat earth model has the distance between degrees of longitude becoming much larger as we approach Antarctica. This greatly increases the east-west distance the aircraft must fly to cover those 137 degrees of longitude. In this case the flat earth model makes it physically impossible to fly the distance on a full load of fuel.

Yet that is what we did. Because lines of longitude converge at the pole, the distance between them is shorter the closer you get to the pole. This is how great circle routes works and why airlines always fly an approximation of a GCR. They do get modified by winds and airspace restrictions.

[In the post above] are two representations of the route we followed [and videos and satellite photos of the route]

The first [map] does not depict the lines of longitude as they are or even as the Flat Earth model presents them. The do show the jets streams however.

The second is the actual route we flew, which was basically a straight line GCR modified for the winds on the day, and the 71.5S constraint. It depicts the lines of longitude converging at the pole, making this route the shortest way.

It may not be congruent with your beliefs, but that's the way we fly between these two cities, and we do it because any other way would cost too much fuel.

Sorry the "Flat Earth" does not exist. That's all there is to it.