Are people really still going to push the moon is harmless?

• 192 Replies

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
Are people really still going to push the moon is harmless?
« on: September 15, 2022, 06:01:37 AM »
https://www.australiangeographic.com.au/news/2022/09/40-million-mangroves-are-dead-and-the-moon-is-to-blame-or-is-it/

Over the summer of 2015, 40 million mangroves died of thirst. This vast die-off – the world’s largest ever recorded – killed off rich mangrove forests along fully 1,000 kilometres of coastline on Australia’s Gulf of Carpentaria.

The question is, why? Last month, scientists found a culprit: a strong El Niño event, which led to a temporary fall in sea level. That left mangroves, which rely on tides covering their roots, high and dry during an unusually dry early monsoon season.

Case closed. Or is it? While evidence clearly implicates El Niño, we found this climate cycle had a very large accomplice: the Moon.

In our study, released today, we mapped the expansion and contraction of mangrove forest cover over the past 40 years, and found clear evidence that the Moon’s orbital wobble had an effect.

That’s where the Moon comes in – and particularly the “lunar wobble”. Back in 1728, astronomers noticed the plane in which the Moon orbits Earth isn’t fixed. Instead, it wobbles up and down, a bit like a spinning coin as it begins to slow.

When we mapped the extent and distribution of Australian mangrove forests over the past 40 years, we found clear signs of the Moon’s wobble at work. This 18.6-year orbital cycle turns out to be the main reason why mangrove canopy expands and contracts around most of Australia’s coastlines – and explains the patterns of mangrove mortality in the Gulf of Carpentaria.

You might be wondering why the wobble has such influence over whether mangroves live or die. It’s the tides. The wobble changes how the Moon’s gravity pulls on the world’s oceans, so periods of exceptionally high tides are followed by exceptionally low tides 9.3 years later.

The article is quite long but suffice to say, the moon is responsible for murdering millions upon millions of trees. If the moon can do that to something as strong and large as a tree, then what about a small human? We are far more complex and a lot more things to go wrong

Anyway, to the moon all I can say is GTFO. Maybe you were useful before, but you've overstayed your welcome and are just a burden now.

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

Re: Are people really still going to push the moon is harmless?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2022, 06:21:36 AM »
It wiould be wrose if moon just noped outta here

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2022, 10:48:36 AM »
The article is quite long but suffice to say, the moon is responsible for murdering millions upon millions of trees. If the moon can do that to something as strong and large as a tree, then what about a small human? We are far more complex and a lot more things to go wrong

We don't need our roots to be submerged in water. Mangrove trees do.

Anyway, to the moon all I can say is GTFO. Maybe you were useful before, but you've overstayed your welcome and are just a burden now.

Venice would become uninhabitable without tides flushing out the canals. Everything reliant on tidal pools and tidal motion (it's a lot) would be totally screwed, too. I don't think this is a useful suggestion.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2022, 12:10:21 PM »
return to the night!
you have no business here!

i walked on your face!

don't you know it's day, idiot!

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2022, 12:37:18 PM »

Venice would become uninhabitable without tides flushing out the canals. Everything reliant on tidal pools and tidal motion (it's a lot) would be totally screwed, too. I don't think this is a useful suggestion.

Firstly, I dont live in Venice, so I dont give 2 shits whether they suffer a calamity through the absence of a moon. Their fate is already sealed, with our without a moon anyway. Sea level rise as well as sinking.... They're fucked.

https://www.newsweek.com/venice-permanently-submerged-end-next-century-scientists-1471979

Secondly, the moon could be causing sub clinical damage to humans and animals that may not be immediately apparent. If it has the power to kill tens of millions of trees by fucking with their root system, imagine what it does to the water inside your own body. And we are ~2/3rds water

what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

Know your place

NotSoSkeptical

• Flat like a droplet of water.
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2022, 12:44:06 PM »
If the moon can kill millions of trees, it most definitely can cause people to post insane ramblings on the internet.
Rabinoz RIP

That would put you in the same category as pedophile perverts like John Davis, NSS, robots like Stash, Shifter, and victimized kids like Alexey.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2022, 12:45:10 PM »
If the moon can kill millions of trees, it most definitely can cause people to post insane ramblings on the internet.

EXACTLY!

The word 'lunatic' wasn't simply a throw away. The moon really does fuck with peoples minds. BECAUSE IT'S EVIL

Know your place

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2022, 02:20:17 PM »
The naivety of the modern positivist science fan-boy is laughable. Ah yes, the entirety of written history and science on the matter is wrong simply because you saw a movie about werewolves and associate the moon with occult fiction.
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.

JackBlack

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2022, 02:26:34 PM »
https://www.australiangeographic.com.au/news/2022/09/40-million-mangroves-are-dead-and-the-moon-is-to-blame-or-is-it/

Over the summer of 2015, 40 million mangroves died of thirst. This vast die-off – the world’s largest ever recorded – killed off rich mangrove forests along fully 1,000 kilometres of coastline on Australia’s Gulf of Carpentaria.

The question is, why? Last month, scientists found a culprit: a strong El Niño event, which led to a temporary fall in sea level. That left mangroves, which rely on tides covering their roots, high and dry during an unusually dry early monsoon season.

Case closed. Or is it? While evidence clearly implicates El Niño, we found this climate cycle had a very large accomplice: the Moon.

In our study, released today, we mapped the expansion and contraction of mangrove forest cover over the past 40 years, and found clear evidence that the Moon’s orbital wobble had an effect.

That’s where the Moon comes in – and particularly the “lunar wobble”. Back in 1728, astronomers noticed the plane in which the Moon orbits Earth isn’t fixed. Instead, it wobbles up and down, a bit like a spinning coin as it begins to slow.

When we mapped the extent and distribution of Australian mangrove forests over the past 40 years, we found clear signs of the Moon’s wobble at work. This 18.6-year orbital cycle turns out to be the main reason why mangrove canopy expands and contracts around most of Australia’s coastlines – and explains the patterns of mangrove mortality in the Gulf of Carpentaria.

You might be wondering why the wobble has such influence over whether mangroves live or die. It’s the tides. The wobble changes how the Moon’s gravity pulls on the world’s oceans, so periods of exceptionally high tides are followed by exceptionally low tides 9.3 years later.

Really?
I read it as the moon was being nice and giving them lots of water to thrive, and the idiots that they were didn't bother storing it, so when the moon moved on, they didn't have enough water and died.
Seems more like poor planning by mangroves than the moon murdering them.

As for telling the moon to leave, that was the problem, it left. It overstayed its welcome and left, and the mangroves died.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2022, 03:01:07 PM »

Really?
I read it as the moon was being nice and giving them lots of water to thrive, and the idiots that they were didn't bother storing it, so when the moon moved on, they didn't have enough water and died.
Seems more like poor planning by mangroves than the moon murdering them.

As for telling the moon to leave, that was the problem, it left. It overstayed its welcome and left, and the mangroves died.

It hasn't left. I still see the damn thing almost every night. The moon does this wobble thing to toy with and kill trees. Pretending to be nice and supplying water. Then takes it away.

It's like if I stopped giving my kids food and water. Who would be the dick? Those mangroves were led on to depend on the Moon. And the moon fucked them

Know your place

JackBlack

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2022, 03:09:32 PM »
It hasn't left. I still see the damn thing almost every night. The moon does this wobble thing to toy with and kill trees. Pretending to be nice and supplying water. Then takes it away.

It's like if I stopped giving my kids food and water. Who would be the dick? Those mangroves were led on to depend on the Moon. And the moon fucked them
It gave the mangroves some space, and they died.

Comparing it to kids, I would link it more to how you give them a few meals each day.
If your kids were so dumb that they only ate a tiny bit at each meal, thinking they could continue to eat that tiny amount per hour each hour of the day, I would blame them.
Likewise, if you blow your entire paycheck the day you get it, thinking you should keep getting that much each day, and then starve because of it, I would blame you.
The moon was going to come back and give them more water in 15 or so years. They just had to store it until then.

The mangroves need to get their act together and store the water.

But the key point remains, if the moon leaves, the mangroves would die anyway. They need the moon to live.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2022, 03:25:06 PM »
Thank you for keeping up the fight against the shifty moon.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2022, 11:05:50 PM »
There's a reason they say nothing good happens after midnight. It addles and upsets the minds of honest good working Christian into becoming the puppets of their inner demons. Thank you as well for this thread. It has been far too long since we have been reminded of luna's dangers.

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
  • Will I still be perfect tomorrow?
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2022, 12:45:53 AM »
Rather the puppets of demons than to spend life on your knees before a corpse on a cross, the moon is light of the night, goddess of the howling dogs, holder of torches, serpents and daggers, mistress of medicines and poison, she holds the keys to the underworld, to shun the night is to miss half your life, embrace Hecate in full naked glory, the majestic and beautiful witch queen.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 06:15:12 AM by Jura-Glenlivet II »
Life is meaningless and everything dies.

Suicide is dangerous- other philosophies are available-#Life is great.

Timeisup

• You still think that. You cannot be serious ?
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2022, 12:53:34 AM »

Firstly, I dont live in Venice, so I dont give 2 shits whether they suffer a calamity through the absence of a moon. Their fate is already sealed, with our without a moon anyway. Sea level rise as well as sinking.... They're fucked.

https://www.newsweek.com/venice-permanently-submerged-end-next-century-scientists-1471979

Secondly, the moon could be causing sub clinical damage to humans and animals that may not be immediately apparent. If it has the power to kill tens of millions of trees by fucking with their root system, imagine what it does to the water inside your own body. And we are ~2/3rds water

It’s not the moon that’s causing the problems with the trees, more it’s the lack of root covering water that is the issue! The fact the the moon has a huge influence on the movement of water on earth, our tides, the trees just happen to be in a location where that water movement also influenced by an El Niño event and the local topography was to their detriment. The roots drying out.
The trees were just unlucky, wrong place wrong time.
The moon has been orbiting our planet since soon after its formation. All life on earth over the last 4 bn years or so  had evolved quite happily under the presence of the moon.  So unless you decide to grow some roots and spend your life stationary in some marginal  tidal zone you should be quite safe.
Really…..what a laugh!!!

Timeisup

• You still think that. You cannot be serious ?
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2022, 12:57:51 AM »
There's a reason they say nothing good happens after midnight. It addles and upsets the minds of honest good working Christian into becoming the puppets of their inner demons. Thank you as well for this thread. It has been far too long since we have been reminded of luna's dangers.

It’s interesting how people like to leap on a story, misquote, distort and turn it into something divorced from actual reality so that it can fit with their world view. Yet another flat earth square peg hammered into a nonexistent hole.
Really…..what a laugh!!!

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2022, 03:40:08 AM »
It doesn't matter which way you spin it

The moon is responsible for the death of those tens of millions of trees. Stop victim blaming the trees. Whose the one that's dead here?

If you have a plant in your greenhouse, it depends on you to water it. If you dont water it and the plant dies, who is to blame? The plant?

It is the same with the moon. The moon isn't some innocuous thing looking pretty in the sky. It 'wobbles'. Which means it is active. And its action murdered those trees.

In a sick and twisted game like teasing a child pretending to hand over a toy and when they reach for it you take it back, in this case, the moon was like 'Here you go!' (gives water) then 'Just kidding!' (takes water away) on repeat. Until eventually it just took it away. Laughing (if it could) as the trees that became dependent on that water for survival died of thirst.

How much other destruction has the moon caused it must be wondered? Environmental calamities we dont yet attribute to it? This was just a small area in Australia.

Given the power of the moon in being able to move such large volumes of water, it is not a stretch or leap to imagine the damage its effects on the human body could be. We are complex organisms where a lot can go wrong very easily. A tiny change can cause a cascade (never for the better) or turn on a genetic switch that's better left set to 'off'. And the effects on looking at the moon has been documented for centuries about it that it can turn people crazy (hence the slur 'lunatic'). You can see this in other animals such as wolves who get pissed off and yell (howl) at the moon. Animals dont have the level of free will humans do. They run purely on instinct. And they are clearly not happy with the moon.

Know your place

JackBlack

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2022, 05:18:20 AM »
The moon is responsible for the death of those tens of millions of trees. Stop victim blaming the trees. Whose the one that's dead here?
Stop trying to enslave the moon.
Why should the moon give the water to the plants? Did the moon say the water was for the plants, or did they just try and take it? Maybe them taking it is why the moon left?

Given the power of the moon in being able to move such large volumes of water, it is not a stretch or leap to imagine the damage its effects on the human body could be.
It is a massive stretch.
All it takes is understanding the tidal force.

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2022, 06:11:50 AM »

Fuck you and your trees, ever think that she, in all her silver splendour is sending a message, to teach you and those of your kind that life is not only ephemeral but subject to the uncertainties insinuated into the natural cycles by climate change and that by exacerbating these fluctuations we risk far worse things than this, and that in her magnificence this is a warning, a call from nature to get our house in order before she loses patience and drowns the fucking lot of us.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2022, 06:57:54 AM »
this is a warning, a call from nature to get our house in order before she loses patience and drowns the fucking lot of us.

As I said. The moon is far from harmless

Jura knows

Know your place

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2022, 07:08:44 AM »
Stop trying to enslave the moon.
Why should the moon give the water to the plants? Did the moon say the water was for the plants, or did they just try and take it? Maybe them taking it is why the moon left?

Well why should anyone let you live? Cater for your needs? The moon is not even part of Earth anymore. It's just a 3rd wheel.

Given the power of the moon in being able to move such large volumes of water, it is not a stretch or leap to imagine the damage its effects on the human body could be.
It is a massive stretch.
All it takes is understanding the tidal force.

Tidal forces inside your brain I doubt is helpful. Even minutely so. The effect is not zero. You cant just hand wave it away

We know the sun is dangerous, we know not to look at it directly. We know not to stay out exposed unprotected for too long. But the sun has a purpose. It provides light, heat and energy. WTF is up with the moon? If the moon blinked out of existence we would still have tides. They would be smaller which would be helpful in an era of sea level rising. Entire pacific islands will disappear in the next century and believe me, the moon will be cursed at

At some point people are going to have to come to terms with the fact that the moons cons, outweighs the pros which frankly at this stage of human evolution, are moot. Elon Musk wants to Nuke Mars. I want to nuke the moon. It is a much more plausible concept dont you think?

Know your place

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2022, 07:23:06 AM »
this is a warning, a call from nature to get our house in order before she loses patience and drowns the fucking lot of us.

As I said. The moon is far from harmless

Jura knows

Oh, she dangerous all right, she’s a damn Goddess and a neglected one at that, and the last thing you want on your case is a divine female entity with abandonment issues, because capricious doesn’t even begin to describe her reaction, so I would be very careful with the GTFO, nuke the moon kind of sentiments if I were in your shoes.

As for the moons influence on brain activity, I’m pretty sure of all present you will be the least affected.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2022, 01:46:29 PM »
The truth of the matter is that we know for a fact that the moon affects many forms of life here on earth. This anti-science mentality which always comes from the round earth community really needs to be put to rest.

Verily, "It is the very error of the moon, She comes more near the earth than she was wont, And makes men mad."

So where is this evidence you might ask? Everywhere you look.  Bats avoid hunting to avoid the dangers of the moon. Lions take advantage of its madness fueled rage, knowing that smaller prey will be discombobulated and easier targets. Parasites even are far more active during the full moon, taking advantage of weakened hosts. Even fish has been known to rot faster in the moon light since ancient times.

What of man you say? His diseases are worsened as well - Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, arthritis, schizophrenia and lyme disease to name a few subjects of studies. Not only this but we see in many studies an astonishing 64%-80% of emergency doctors and nurses will attest to the moons affects on man. But I'm sure these educated people are simply fools like us here at The Flat Earth Society.

It is a disservice to all people to claim the moon is not dangerous, and the evidence is so plentiful its hard to imagine you don't do this slight on purpose - endangering those for the wont of forum trolling. Every culture on earth has attested to its effects. Every kingdom of life has attested to it. Primates, animals, lions, doctors, psychiatric professionals - all say it is dangerous. Even the common dung beetle.

And yet here we have geniuses like Tim who still argue otherwise. It is fact - "no physician should be entrusted with the treatment of disease who was ignorant of the science of astronomy." And no forum user should be trusted of anything they say at any time if they choose to spout nonsense about the moon being innocuous.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 02:20:53 PM by Username »

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2022, 01:47:55 PM »

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2022, 02:26:47 PM »
Its a well known fact in India even. This perversion of irrationality seems to be a western affliction.

“It is believed that eating during lunar eclipse is harmful for health, and this is simply because the eclipse leads to emission of strong ultraviolet rays, which impacts cooked food as it is prepared with water, which further attracts emissions, which turns the cooked food into poison.”
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-style/food-news/heres-why-eating-during-lunar-eclipse-chandra-grahan-is-harmful/articleshow/70242515.cms

Ichimaru Gin :]

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2022, 02:47:39 PM »
Time for me to reappear.

The moon's harm to plant life is indisputable. Only a fool would ignore the science which we have shared through first hand experimentation.
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

JackBlack

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2022, 03:36:41 PM »
Well why should anyone let you live? Cater for your needs? The moon is not even part of Earth anymore. It's just a 3rd wheel.
Letting someone live is quite different to having to cater for their needs.

Tidal forces inside your brain I doubt is helpful. Even minutely so. The effect is not zero. You cant just hand wave it away
I can dismiss it as insignificant.

Elon Musk wants to Nuke Mars. I want to nuke the moon. It is a much more plausible concept dont you think?
Not to destroy it.

The truth of the matter is that we know for a fact that the moon affects many forms of life here on earth.
Yes, due to its effects as tides and the illumination it provides by reflecting the light from the sun.
That doesn't make it dangerous.

Bats avoid hunting to avoid the dangers of the moon.
You mean to avoid the light?

Lions take advantage of its madness fueled rage, knowing that smaller prey will be discombobulated and easier targets.
So is the moon here allegedly making the lions mad or the small prey?
If your nonsense was true, why aren't both affected, making it net neutral?
Are you sure it isn't just the small animals aren't as well adapted to the light of the moon and that light makes them easier targets?

Even fish has been known to rot faster in the moon light since ancient times.
All sorts of superstitious BS has been "known" since ancient time. But where is the evidence?

Not only this but we see in many studies an astonishing 64%-80% of emergency doctors and nurses will attest to the moons affects on man.
And how much of that is just due to people being idiots, using the full moon as an excuse, as well as reporting bias?
What of the other 20-36%?

More importantly, where are the studies actually showing an affect, rather than people believing there is an effect?

It is a disservice to all people to claim the moon is not dangerous
It is a disservice to spout old superstitious nonsense as fact.

Its a well known fact in India even.
You mean it is a myth spouted in India even.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2022, 04:02:58 PM »
Letting someone live is quite different to having to cater for their needs.

I can dismiss it as insignificant.

Elon Musk wants to Nuke Mars. I want to nuke the moon. It is a much more plausible concept dont you think?
Not to destroy it.

The truth of the matter is that we know for a fact that the moon affects many forms of life here on earth.
Yes, due to its effects as tides and the illumination it provides by reflecting the light from the sun.
That doesn't make it dangerous.
I'm sure the lion's prey or the schizophrenic might disagree. What makes something dangerous? Its correlation to danger.

Is there a higher correlation to danger in the moonlight?

Yes.

Bats avoid hunting to avoid the dangers of the moon.
You mean to avoid the light?
That is certainly a good start.

Lions take advantage of its madness fueled rage, knowing that smaller prey will be discombobulated and easier targets.
So is the moon here allegedly making the lions mad or the small prey?
If your nonsense was true, why aren't both affected, making it net neutral?

Are you sure it isn't just the small animals aren't as well adapted to the light of the moon and that light makes them easier targets?
So your argument seems to be - why are both not affected the same.

And your counter argument is - they are both not affected the same.

Never the less, in spite of your drivel, the answer is clear. The predator can make use of his rage effectively, where as rage does very little for those experiencing a flight reaction.

Even fish has been known to rot faster in the moon light since ancient times.
All sorts of superstitious BS has been "known" since ancient time. But where is the evidence?
Simple enough, test it out.

Not only this but we see in many studies an astonishing 64%-80% of emergency doctors and nurses will attest to the moons affects on man.
And how much of that is just due to people being idiots, using the full moon as an excuse, as well as reporting bias?
What of the other 20-36%?
Ah yes. Doctors are known to be extremely poorly educated and non-observant.

More importantly, where are the studies actually showing an affect, rather than people believing there is an effect?
They exist as well... The NIH did one in 2011 for example.

It is a disservice to all people to claim the moon is not dangerous
It is a disservice to spout old superstitious nonsense as fact.
We are indeed in agreement, and it lightens my heart to hear you agree that the moon is dangerous.

Its a well known fact in India even.
You mean it is a myth spouted in India even.
I do not.

JackBlack

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2022, 04:40:27 PM »
I'm sure the lion's prey or the schizophrenic might disagree. What makes something dangerous? Its correlation to danger.

I would say you need an element of causation.
But if your argument is that the moonlight is light and allows targets to be seen which makes it dangerous for the targets, then sure, it is "dangerous"; but only for the targets, not in general.
For others it provides safety as they can see as they walk around late at night.
It makes it quite subjective.

Never the less, in spite of your drivel, the answer is clear. The predator can make use of his rage effectively, where as rage does very little for those experiencing a flight reaction.
How?
If it drives the lion mad, how does it help it hunt? Why doesn't it startle the prey earlier and make it flee earlier and escape?
Again, the answer is clear, the predator can make use of the light.

Simple enough, test it out.
Like here:
https://www.facebook.com/564353333631982/posts/meat-spoiling-in-the-moon-light-this-topic-came-up-on-talkback-radio-last-night-/3318590804874874/
Where they tried it out and found no effect?

Ah yes. Doctors are known to be extremely poorly educated and non-observant.
Which in no way addresses the point raised.
Lots of people can be mislead, especially with reporting bias.
The biggest tell is that you are appealing to studies of what people believe (published in 1987), rather than studies of the effects it actually causes.

They exist as well... The NIH did one in 2011 for example.
Yet you provide no reference to it.

We are indeed in agreement, and it lightens my heart to hear you agree that the moon is dangerous.
No, I don't. I see that as old superstitious nonsense.

I do not.
Well it certainly isn't a fact.
If your source needs to appeal to astrology to start, it isn't starting well.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2022, 09:50:39 PM »

I would say you need an element of causation.

And by what means do you want to suggest cause, aside from correlation?