Eclipse 21.08.17 will debunk the Globe

• 1484 Replies

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
Re: Eclipse 21.08.17 will debunk the Globe
« Reply #1200 on: September 12, 2017, 04:01:07 PM »

http://earthcurvature.com/ uses a sphere with a 40,030 km circumference. I would think more than close enough for your desire. Plug in any number you wish.
Thanks !
That shows that over a distance of 5km the bending is roughly 2 meters.(1m at the beginning and 1 m at the end compared to a straight line of 5km)
For "curvature" calculations I use "Metabunk, Earth's Curve Horizon, Bulge, Drop, and Hidden Calculator" because it allows the viewer height to be included and also gives extra data like the "dip angle" to the horizon.

This is a diagram of the curve over 5 km (with the vertical scale grossly exaggerated).

Quote from: dutchy
What happens if i place a precise laser pointer near an extremely flat beach at a height of let's say 80cm and cast a beam towards a specific predetermined point 5 km away on the beach at a height of also 80cm ?
The laser cannot reflect on a specific target over 5km at a height of 80cm , because of the bulge in the middle no matter what the angle of the laser is ?

Is this valid reasoning ?
No, because the "bulge is only 49 cm. Here are the relevant results from the Metabunk, Earth's Curve Horizon, Bulge, Drop, and Hidden Calculator:
Distance = 5 km, View Height = 0.8 meters Radius = 6371 km.
Results ignoring refraction
Horizon = 3.19 km, Bulge = 0.49 meters
Hidden= 0.26 meters
Horizon Dip = 0.029 Degrees.
Something like this:

The height hidden is only 26 cm.
One thing to note is that the horizon (at 3.2 km) is only 0.029° below eye-level. Only accurate surveying instruments can detect that.

<< extra diagram added >>
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 05:58:30 PM by rabinoz »

JackBlack

« Reply #1201 on: September 12, 2017, 04:10:30 PM »
No, that is your way of doing things !
No. It is not his way. It is the rational way. Making a model which can explain observations.

Mine is to go back to the PROVEN fundamentals of earth not some fantasy cosmology.
You mean go back to baselessly asserted crap which has not been proven in any way?

And in that proven FLAT reality, no one has ever showed any curvature whatsoever in accordance with the current measurements of the hypothetical ball.
There is no proven flat reality. People have shown curvature. No one has ever been able to show it is flat. Instead all results that might indicate that are consistent with both.
It isn't a hypothetical ball, it is a proven fact. The only thing up for debate is the exact composition and exact shape (as it isn't a perfect sphere).

The shape of earth, it's tilt. speed, origans are all part of the same cosmological fairytail.
You mean all part of the same reality.

You can't focuss on just the shape of our world, because according to the current cosmology the shape is a result of all other implemented nonsense
You mean implemented explanations which explain reality?
We don't need to know why Earth is round in order to show it is round, and you are yet to show any of it is nonsense.
All you have done is shown you don't like it.

What's the matter? Don't you like being an insignificant nothing on an insignificant planet orbiting an insignificant star in a vast universe?

this way you can ignore the absurdities that are part of your globe, not my flatearth.
You are yet to show any absurdities with the globe or cosmology. Instead you just repeatedly assert that basically you don't like it.

On the other hand we have proven numerous absurdities with the flat Earth which makes the FE impossible.

Don't you see how many times i point out that globers jump to conclusions without trying to understand flatearthers ?
Perhaps that is because you are the one jumping to conclusions instead of understanding what people say?

But i said i do not believe in a concave earth
And who said you did?

Mostafa Abdelkader engaged in a thought process that shows our current ''understanding'' of the universe is a mere choice of directions after standing on a crossroad.
Except it isn't. Not in the slightest.
Our current understanding is a model which makes sense and explains reality far better than any other and doesn't require special pleading.

On the other hand his has Earth be super special, completely manipulates space and light to force Earth to be special and fails to explain numerous things.

So I suppose you could call that a chose of directions:
1 - Go for the rational model.
2 - Be an arrogant prick and make Earth special.

Here are the most important sentences  of his essay !

reduces the earth and the solar system to nothing in comparison; whereas in the latter, the earth’s surface is the finite boundary of the whole universe

I shrunk it down to the more important one.
He doesn't want Earth to a be a mere nothing. He wants it to be special.
Also, this shows the reason why the geocosmos idea would be rejected, it requires Earth to be special and space to be set up to accommodate a special Earth.

Until you can explain why this should be the case it will be rejected for the simpler one, where Earth is not special and no particular region of space is special.

Also, he is wrong. They are not the only 2 models.
There are almost infinitely many more.
The same trick can be applied to any object, or just any region of space.
You could make the sun special and be the edge of the Cosmos. You could make the moon special and have it be the edge of the cosmos. You can make Mars special and have it be the edge of the Cosmos. You can make 51 Pegasi b special and have it be the edge. You can make Alpha Centuri C b special and have it be the edge. You could make a point in space between us and the Andromeda galaxy special and have it be the edge. And so on.

There is no reason to make Earth special. It simply arrogance and not wanting to be insignificant.

That is why crap like that is discarded. Because it demands that Earth be special without any justification and ignores the options of Earth still being insignificant but having some other object be special.

The only one realising that you need physical proof for the model of the earth is Cyrus Teed who built a rectilliniator.
Except plenty of people already had physical proof.
Additionally, his rectiliniator was fundamentally flawed.

He did so in a backward time with vague outcomes, but the idea of a physicall structure is extremely appealing.
Not to anyone who actually examines it.
You can't simply get a bunch of square objects and join them together. The error is too great.
If you attempt to construct one people will just cry fake.

If they are willing to built facilities like CERN and the latest one to search for gravitational waves then it seems more and more absurd that such curvature structure does not excist.
No it doesn't.
They are building these facilities to discover new things, not attempt to prove to a bunch of conspiracy nuts something that has been proven long ago, especially when these conspiracy nuts will just reject it.

All the lame excuses about that there is enough proof and supporters and understanding of the globe so that such a structure is unwanted is poor reasoning.
Why?
There is already plenty of proof including other ways of seeing the curvature.
The issue is not a lack of proof. It is people like you being unwilling to accept it.

In the Netherlands we all know we live under sealevel, but we still create these kind of devices, because it's fun to actually see how much beneath sealevel you are.
And what device would that be?
If people wished to assert that the Netherlands were not under sea water would they easily be able to come up with excuses to pretend they weren't?

To have absolute proof of the curvature through a physicall structure would be awesome.
But it wouldn't be any more proof than all the other stuff we have.
People like you would still reject it.

That it is absent today is a smoking gun in favour of flat and concave earth !
No it isn't.
Do you know what else is absent?
A structure showing the flatness of Earth and a structure showing the concavity of Earth.
Are those being absent a smoking gun in favour of a round Earth? No.

So that's your device?
What effectively amounts to a marker saying the sea level is there.

In that case why bother with a physical structure?
Just get a bunch of these poles (except with the 0 at different heights along each), space them out along a road, and align the 0 to where a line straight out from a reference point would be.

Would that convince you? No.

How about this, go to the Netherlands and build a little river of water in from the sea to the middle of the country with perspex walls and a perspex roof so you can really see the sea level to see how far under you are. It must contain still water, not flowing water and have small bits open to the air to equalise pressure.
Is the lack of such a structure a smoking gun in favour of the Netherlands being above sea level?

I myself had done the test long ago if you would give me the money and many flatearthers face the same problems.
Why should we pay for your paranoia?
We already have plenty of evidence that Earth is round, including evidence you can easily get for free or for very little money, such as watching the sun, or getting a timelapse of the sky due north and due south.

We are absolutely sure that the amount of supposed curvature given in the current model is false !!
I'm absolutely sure your full of shit and that the amount of curvature in the current model is quite accurate.

But think about the following without immidiatly trying to redicule or debunk my requests.
How about you go and respond to where I did something similar for the 10 km?

You seem to ask for a lot and then just ignore it when it is given.

If the earth is a sphere with a circomference of roughly 40.000 km then i propose the following thought process ! (just for fun )
1 Cut this hypothetical sphere into pie slices each measuring one km wide at the outer edge of the sphere.
2 Compare that slightly bend km with a perfect mathematically straight km. And give the exact amount of how much bending takes place in mm.
3 Place both km (the straight and curved one on top of eachother....the straight one on top)
4 Now precisely calculate the amount of cm that the curved km bends downwards at the beginning and the end of the km (the straight km is a tine bit wider of course)
So now you want pi slices, and now you want it centred at the level.
Well that means your d will be d1, and will be 0.5 km, and h will still be h3.
Well, as you recall:
h3=R*(1-cos(a))
and a=d1/R
Thus h3=R*(1-cos(d1/R)
=(40000/(2*pi))*(1-cos(pi/40000)) km
=0.00001963495407484301871893175224039102890588379894705277 km
=19.63495407484301871893175224039102890588379894705277 mm

If you wanted it for the start being level and it just curving down at one end, then it is 78.53981617825380671782556485313824632251256800741961876248 mm or roughly 7.9 cm.

5 Now you have the exact curvature present in each and every km of the hypothetical ball with a circomference of 40.000 km.
And due to how curvature works, you can't simply multiply this by the distance.

6 built a straight line as solid structure, or laser based along a huge body of water,(the seashore/lake) and start measuring earth's curvature !
Give us the money to do so.
And how will you confirm it is straight?
Then there is the issue of Earth not being this perfect sphere. So do you want us to redo it for the local curvature?

It is easy the Dutch have been doing this for centuries !
Except this sign in no way shows that is what sea level is unless you simply trust those who put it up.
Where is the structure I demanded?
Until you provide that structure should I assume the Netherlands is not actually below sea level? After all, according to your reasoning the absence of this structure is a smoking gun that those poles is just fake crap and that the Netherlands is not actually below sea level.

Don't you see the hypocrisy in just trusting that it is below sea level without any such device to prove it, but you demand such a device to prove the curvature of Earth, something known for millennia?

You simple have to follow the canal to the sea and if needed add or deminish the height differences between the sealevel and canal level at the present water pomp station that levels the canal with the sea !
I take it you don't understand flowing water?
Flowing water is not necessarily level.
Unless the canal water is perfectly still you cannot use it.

Even if you can, how do you then compare the height of the water level before and after the pumping station (which would have to be off to keep the canal water still)?

After i receive the exact numbers involved in such bend km derived from a perfect sphere with a circomference of 40.000 km, i at least have a great starting point.
I have many more suggestions, but i truly want to know the amount of bending of this mathematically perfect slice of one km wide derived from a perfect sphere with a circomference of 40.000 km.
You already got the numbers for 10 km and just ignored them.
I suspect you will do the same with the numbers for your 1 km.

I want to know because i really believe that the amount of bending is considerable (at least 10-20 cm over each and every km)
Considering you just ignored the 10 km, I highly doubt you actually want to know.
It is also only roughly 8 cm at best for 1 km.

And that is simple that much that it could be used on our not so perfect sphere as a reference to either confirm or exclude any curvature for a ball roughly measuring 40.000 km in circomference.
No it can't, because you then have the issue of building a straight structure over 1 km. Unless you are using data from the curvature of Earth, that will be difficult to verify. Unless you plan on paying for all the vacuum pumps required to maintain a vacuum over this 1 km to be able to pass a light along it without having to worry about refraction, and then also verify that that laser is pointed level and not slightly up or down.

Then once you do that you have the issue of setting up a perfectly level surface to follow the curvature of Earth and confirming that.

Again i have no idea what the exact numbers for the hypothetical globe km slice are, my expertise is lacking, therefor i ask you the experts of a globe and it's properties.
I provided you with a way to work it out, you ignored it.
I provided you with what it is for 10 km, you ignored it.

It isn't your expertise that is lacking, it is you not wanting to know.

I can follow the canal to the sea (only 15km) and confirm that the measuring tool in this canal fits the sealevel !
And have you done that? No. You just trust the government.

And don't forget all the issues I raised with that method.

So what is the amount of bending in the following slices derived from the hypothetical perfect sphere with a circomference of 40.000 km.
1km           wide bended curvature slice compared to a perfect straight line
10km                 ''
100km               ''
1000km             ''
10000km           ''
Again, there are several different ways to measure.

I shall assume (especially as you have gone to 10 000 km) that you are referring to d as 2*d1 (so you are going both ways) and h as h3 in my diagram, which would correspond to the height of the bulge in the centre.
All of these follow the formula:
h=R*(1-cos(d/R), noting that d is half the length.
As such you get h=(40000/(2*pi))*(1-cos(l*pi/40000))
So in order of your list, starting at 1 km and going up an order of magnitude each time (with the answer in mm, accurate to 1 mm (so an error of 0.5 mm))
20 mm
1963 mm
196349 mm
19624863 mm
1864616143 mm

And as a bonus: 20 000 km:
6366197724 mm, i.e. the radius of Earth.

What happens if i place a precise laser pointer near an extremely flat beach at a height of let's say 80cm and cast a beam towards a specific predetermined point 5 km away on the beach at a height of also 80cm ?
The laser cannot reflect on a specific target over 5km at a height of 80cm , because of the bulge in the middle no matter what the angle of the laser is ?
Flat or level?
If flat, then the beach is flat and the laser can hit it.
If it is level, then there is the bulge, but how high should it be?
As you are going 5 km, the bulge is only 491 mm or 49.1 cm. So that height of 80 cm puts it above the bulge.

The calculator you are using shows the curve, not the bulge. The 2 are slightly different.
For the curve, you are at the top and Earth just curves down away from you.
For the bulge, the bulge is at the top and Earth curves down towards you and your target.

A better calculator would be this one: (which still doesn't consider refraction)
https://dizzib.github.io/earth/curve-calc/?d0=5&h0=0.8&unit=metric

It first calculates how far away the horizon is based upon your height and then uses that to determine how much of the object is hidden due to the curve away from the horizon.

So no your reasoning is not sound.
It would be akin to saying if you place a small object on the ground right in front of you you wouldn't see it because of the curve, ignoring that your height lets you see over the curve.

I would say start off around the 80 cm, confirm it can reach it, then systematically lower the target and the laser to see when it can no longer reach.
If Earth is round, and you did it in a vacuum, it would be around 50 cm. Due to refraction and you doing it in air, it will be lower, depending upon the conditions, at ground level.
If Earth is flat, it should go all the way to the ground.

Due to the nature of refraction this can't actually disprove a round Earth unless you remove refraction from being a variable.
But if Earth is flat, refraction should not be an issue (as the laser should be level and thus not passing through air of differing density) and thus you should be able to get to ground level and thus I can disprove a flat Earth.

So do you still want to try it knowing it can't actually disprove the globe but can disprove a flat Earth?

« Reply #1202 on: September 12, 2017, 05:25:38 PM »
I realize I'm 41 pages late at this point, but I'm new here so I hope I'll be forgiven.

There is a simple proof that the Moon is travelling faster than the Earth's rotation, which of course explains why the eclipse shadow moves from West to East.

The Earth rotates completely once per day.  So a point on the equator moves approximately 40,000 km per day. 

The Moon revolves around the Earth once every 27 days.  During this time, our point on the equator moves about 1,000,000 km.

If the Moon moves more than 1,000,000 km in the course of its orbit, then it must be travelling faster than the Earth's rotation. 

As the Moon travels nearly 2.5 million km during one orbit, it should be clear that it is travelling faster than the Earth is rotating.

The issue is simply one of scale.  The Moon is MUCH further away than the diagrams and animations you're finding show it, and consequently is covering a much larger distance per orbit than you are expecting.

I hope this helps with the original issue.

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #1203 on: September 12, 2017, 05:58:59 PM »
Dutchy you must have a good point because the shills are out enforce. A laser experiment is tough to do and record. A laser beam diffuses across such distances. It is easier to be far away from the beam and look at the laser from a far distance. Jeranism has such examples on his website.
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

« Reply #1204 on: September 12, 2017, 06:06:48 PM »
Dutchy you must have a good point because the shills are out enforce. A laser experiment is tough to do and record. A laser beam diffuses across such distances. It is easier to be far away from the beam and look at the laser from a far distance. Jeranism has such examples on his website.

I even encourage Dutchy to do that experiment.
I even did last weekend the same as I looked across lake Ontario towards Toronto.

Dutchy even promised he would do the experiment with windmills that are 35km away.
Can't wait for his pictures and documentation of the setups.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #1205 on: September 12, 2017, 07:01:07 PM »
Dutchy you must have a good point because the shills are out enforce. A laser experiment is tough to do and record. A laser beam diffuses across such distances.
Lasers are also vulnerable to atmospheric refraction and therefore can possibly give misleading results if not done carfully.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #1206 on: September 12, 2017, 07:42:46 PM »
All the lame excuses about that there is enough proof and supporters and understanding of the globe so that such a structure is unwanted is poor reasoning.
In the Netherlands we all know we live under sealevel, but we still create these kind of devices, because it's fun to actually see how much beneath sealevel you are.
To have absolute proof of the curvature through a physicall structure would be awesome.
That it is absent today is a smoking gun in favour of flat and concave earth !
I myself had done the test long ago if you would give me the money and many flatearthers face the same problems.
We are absolutely sure that the amount of supposed curvature given in the current model is false !!

You might not like the answer, but the plain simple fact is that apart from a relatively few flat earthers nobody questions the fact that the earth is a Globe.

But, while few question it, some might forget the earth's being a Globe to their peril, as in this little very relevant anecdote:
There was one particularly amusing part of this bomb test experiment involving a dozen two-mile-long vacuum pipe lines necessary to accurately view the device from far enough away to save the recording equipment from the expected blast.

“When six of us young physicists arrived in Bikini several months before the test, but after an immense effort by thousands working for the contractor Holmes and Narver, we found that the gamma rays from a radioactive test source wouldn’t pass through the vacuum pipelines for a distance of two miles.

After a few of the “juvenile young scientists” straightened one pipe line using a special telescope, Colgate recalls being awakened that night by another still younger engineer, who showed him the corrections.

“I took one look, calculated the geometry, and said out loud so everyone in the tent could hear, ‘Oh my God, they forgot that the earth is round!’ ” he said.

For gamma rays to get through, the pipes had to be straight, not level with the ground. The next day at a management meeting, Colgate reassured everyone that there would be no recriminations, but at the end he joked,

“The one thing we young scientists would like is a small correction . . . . . . ”

Yes, the 2 miles of carefully "levelled" pipe was "locally levelled", but not straight. In 2 miles there is a "bulge" of 8 inches. Nit much, but enough to stop the gamma rays from reaching the target.

In another case the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO - one at Caltech) has two 4 km long arms. These arms are vacuum tubes that have to be perfectly straight and at 90° at the observatory.
As a result, the far ends are 1.26 m higher than the observatory end.
One Flat Earth Society member did quote this as evidence in Doesn't LIGO prove round earth? « on: February 18, 2017, 08:58:28 AM »
But it is hardly something to be trotted out as Globe evidence. It is just built into the project as a matter of course.

All the evidence is out there and is simply applied where needed.

Such an experiment could be built but at great expense.
It would have to be in a location with a believable local level reference. Even that is not trivial as water levels can be affected by currents and winds.
A geodesic surveyor (or any surveyor with the right equipment) could easily do it, but most flat-earthers claim that surveyors are "part of the conspiracy".

An often quoted claim is that the horizon is always at eye-level.
Quote from: The Flat Earth Society Wiki
Basic Perspective

A fact of basic perspective is that the line of the horizon is always at eye level with the observer.
Then we have:
Quote from: Samuel Birley Rowbotham
TANGENTIAL HORIZON.
IF a theodolite is placed on the sea shore, "levelled," and directed towards the sea, the line of the horizon will be a given amount below the cross-hair, and a certain "dip" or inclination from the level position will have to be made to bring the cross-hair and the sea-horizon together. If the theodolite is similarly fixed, but at a greater altitude, the space between the cross-hair and the sea horizon, and the dip of the instrument to bring them together, is also greater. From the above, which is perfectly true, it has been concluded that the surface of the earth is convex, and the line of sight over the sea tangential.
from Zetetic Astronomy, by 'Parallax' (pseud. Samuel Birley Rowbotham), [1881], TANGENTIAL HORIZON.
In this, he shows that there is a small dip angle to the horizon, but this does not fit with his flat earth hypothesis, so he removes the telescope and then claims that he cannot see the "dip angle".
But as I showed earlier from Metabunk this "dip angle" is very small - 2 minutes of arc in the above case.
Rowbotham gives his reasons for this later in the same chapter of TANGENTIAL HORIZON where he ;D essentially proves ;D that you cannot uses the telescope on a theodolite for accurate angle measurement.

But any competent surveyor can measure this "dip angle" and prove that the earth's surface is curved.

I've gone

JackBlack

« Reply #1207 on: September 13, 2017, 12:43:29 AM »
We aren't out in force, we are just calling out his bullshit.
People explaining why it is crap doesn't magically make it valid.

Laser experiments are tough for several reasons, one of which is refraction, another is divergence of the beam.

Jeranism blatantly lies.

?

dutchy

« Reply #1208 on: September 13, 2017, 04:11:37 AM »
It seems that the globers claim there is huge amount of rock solid proof for the globe that ''anyone'' can check !.

But when i show one of the flattest places on earth (artificially created beaches that are as flat as sealevel) and ask what would proof a flatearth it seems extremely hard to proof the very thing they claim is easily proved.
If the terrain that i have presented and suggested isn't qualified to do a proper curvature test, then we have established at least one thing.
The evidence of the curvature derived form a 40.000km circomference is much harder to obtain than what globers claim !
The same applies to photography,.....i am willing to do some test in the future, but i hate the fact that all globular  refraction magic will surely manipulate any result i come up with.
I think it is wiser to spend my time elsewhere......unless there is a rocksolid agreement prior to a test.

?

dutchy

« Reply #1209 on: September 13, 2017, 04:22:11 AM »

http://earthcurvature.com/ uses a sphere with a 40,030 km circumference. I would think more than close enough for your desire. Plug in any number you wish.
Thanks !
That shows that over a distance of 5km the bending is roughly 2 meters.(1m at the beginning and 1 m at the end compared to a straight line of 5km)
For "curvature" calculations I use "Metabunk, Earth's Curve Horizon, Bulge, Drop, and Hidden Calculator" because it allows the viewer height to be included and also gives extra data like the "dip angle" to the horizon.

This is a diagram of the curve over 5 km (with the vertical scale grossly exaggerated).

No, because the "bulge is only 49 cm. Here are the relevant results from the Metabunk, Earth's Curve Horizon, Bulge, Drop, and Hidden Calculator:
Hidden= 0.26 meters
Something like this:

One thing to note is that the horizon (at 3.2 km) is only 0.029° below eye-level. Only accurate surveying instruments can detect that.

Well in that case i level my laser with an accurate spirit level (your laser in the diagram is not level) or lower the initial height to about 40cm and the bulge will prevent the laser to shine upon the other end laserlight receiver (come to that later).

The question is really simple :
You have seen the flat terrain in the photographs i presented, the curvature numbers are a given ,so what test would proof a flatearth without some lame aftermath ?
I want to know prior to any consideration of outdoors testing what the exact criterea are, instead of finding out it was a waste of time to begin with.

If you are all so sure about your globe then you would be full of confidence !
''show us ''this'' and ''that''....and we accept the earth to be flat''(based on honest and trustworthy numbers)
Why is it so difficult to tell a flatearther what to do to to debunk the current supposed curvature ?

It seems that most gobers hate the idea of any testing.

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #1210 on: September 13, 2017, 05:36:57 AM »
Even if the REtards agree to an experiment there will be some kind of disagreement to the results, they are brainwashed and cannot fathom a flat result. It simply cannot exist in their minds.
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

« Reply #1211 on: September 13, 2017, 05:49:49 AM »

Thanks !

Hidden= 0.26 meters
Something like this:

Well in that case i level my laser with an accurate spirit level (your laser in the diagram is not level) or lower the initial height to about 40cm and the bulge will prevent the laser to shine upon the other end laserlight receiver (come to that later).

You have seen the flat terrain in the photographs i presented, the curvature numbers are a given ,so what test would proof a flatearth without some lame aftermath ?
I want to know prior to any consideration of outdoors testing what the exact criterea are, instead of finding out it was a waste of time to begin with.

''show us ''this'' and ''that''....and we accept the earth to be flat''(based on honest and trustworthy numbers)
Why is it so difficult to tell a flatearther what to do to to debunk the current supposed curvature ?

As I at least have mentioned a number of times now, it's not about any testing. It's specifically experiments like this, that end up with too many variables. Refraction is a giant unknown in these cases. Even more so because of how close you are to the water. Now, if you could get a measurement of every square inch the laser was going through in order to measure the correct density and compute the change, that seems very worthwhile. But the difficulty in doing such a task is problematic.

That being said, even without the measurements, I would expect the experiment to still show certain things. If the laser is placed with a spirit level, and the other end is given ample room so you can find the center, I would expect you to be able to find it. But my suspicion is that it would be lower than the numbers say it should be, but still higher than it should be upon a FE. Alternatively, since it is a man made beach, it could possibly be much closer to a FE result. But I don't know the process used in it's creation. I don't think it's unwise to assume it would have been set up to follow the curve, but that is something I would ask be shown (via records or similar) before the experiment.

Honestly, depending on how difficult it is to do, setting it up within these parameters would be very interesting to see. Especially if you were willing to repeat it daily for a few weeks, with enough accuracy on the measuring end to watch for changes. Or even just weekly or something for a month or two. The idea being to get multiple results for comparison and averages.

Small edit: After re-reading your post, in answer to your question. I would say if every single time you did the experiment, you got a result with the laser at or below the same height as the emitter is, I would concede the Earth must be flat. Presuming of course, you were able to show the beach had in fact been built 'according to the curvature of the Earth' or similar. Without that the results could just as easily be showing they simply made a flat beach. Remember with that said though, accuracy is key. If your laser center is variable by + or - 10 cm or something, it's not all that useful. There is after all only a dip of 40 cm over that distance.

Second edit (these did not end up all that small): Conversely, if these results are compatible with the RE model, will you admit the Earth is round? I see no reason the wager should only be going one way after all.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 06:10:10 AM by Curious Squirrel »

« Reply #1212 on: September 13, 2017, 05:55:58 AM »
Even if the REtards agree to an experiment there will be some kind of disagreement to the results, they are brainwashed and cannot fathom a flat result. It simply cannot exist in their minds.

Are you a flat earther? Have you done any experiments with a result in favour of a flat earth?

I thought you were all just trolls.

« Reply #1213 on: September 13, 2017, 06:08:06 AM »

It's difficult to tell anyone how to "debunk" anything that is already proven to be true over and over again, both mathematically and empirically.

The test you're looking for has already been done, as outlined in Rab's post (#1206) above with the Bikini Atoll experiment.  They had to adjust 2 miles of pipeline to account for curvature.  LIGO, and particle accelerators have to be designed with the exact curvature accounted for.

While these projects aren't designed to explicitly prove there is curvature, the simple fact that the design process requires the accounting for curvature in order for them to function makes their existence incompatible with a flat earth.

Any unwillingness to accept evidence like this is just obstinacy at this point.  Anyone with a truly open mind would accept all the data available, even the data that doesn't support his or her hypothesis.  These constructions are the nail in an already thoroughly nailed coffin of any flat earth hypothesis.

« Reply #1214 on: September 13, 2017, 07:07:47 AM »

Are you a flat earther? Have you done any experiments with a result in favour of a flat earth?

not one of the FEIB here have done any experiment or documented research that had an result in proving a flat earth.

either non has ever done a experiment, or the results disproved them and they simply did not tell anybody about the outcomes.

« Reply #1215 on: September 13, 2017, 08:02:48 AM »

not one of the FEIB here have done any experiment or documented research that had an result in proving a flat earth.

either non has ever done a experiment, or the results disproved them and they simply did not tell anybody about the outcomes.

Really? That's a bit sad. I read about a bedford level experiment before I came here but I think it was debunked.

?

zork

« Reply #1216 on: September 13, 2017, 08:34:55 AM »
The evidence of the curvature derived form a 40.000km circomference is much harder to obtain than what globers claim !
Yes, it is. As I said, measure the curvature of 5 kilometer section of the ring with radius of 3000 km . Tool is here http://obeattie.github.io/gmaps-radius . Draw a circle, zoom in at the edge, get some 5 kilometer section and show me clearly measured curvature. And that is circle with less than twice the earth radius.

Well in that case i level my laser with an accurate spirit level
Spirit levels are not so accurate. If you get even small error then it amplifies with distance. If you get laser even millimeter or half off then at the distance the off part is more than millimeter or half. So, you definitely can't get your laser absolutely level and you must take that in account when looking at results.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 10:22:54 AM by zork »
Rowbotham had bad eyesight
-
http://thulescientific.com/Lynch%20Curvature%202008.pdf - Visually discerning the curvature of the Earth
http://thulescientific.com/TurbulentShipWakes_Lynch_AO_2005.pdf - Turbulent ship wakes:further evidence that the Earth is round.

?

dutchy

« Reply #1217 on: September 13, 2017, 12:09:32 PM »
As I at least have mentioned a number of times now, it's not about any testing. It's specifically experiments like this, that end up with too many variables. Refraction is a giant unknown in these cases. Even more so because of how close you are to the water. Now, if you could get a measurement of every square inch the laser was going through in order to measure the correct density and compute the change, that seems very worthwhile. But the difficulty in doing such a task is problematic.

That being said, even without the measurements, I would expect the experiment to still show certain things. If the laser is placed with a spirit level, and the other end is given ample room so you can find the center, I would expect you to be able to find it. But my suspicion is that it would be lower than the numbers say it should be, but still higher than it should be upon a FE. Alternatively, since it is a man made beach, it could possibly be much closer to a FE result. But I don't know the process used in it's creation. I don't think it's unwise to assume it would have been set up to follow the curve, but that is something I would ask be shown (via records or similar) before the experiment.

Honestly, depending on how difficult it is to do, setting it up within these parameters would be very interesting to see. Especially if you were willing to repeat it daily for a few weeks, with enough accuracy on the measuring end to watch for changes. Or even just weekly or something for a month or two. The idea being to get multiple results for comparison and averages.

Small edit: After re-reading your post, in answer to your question. I would say if every single time you did the experiment, you got a result with the laser at or below the same height as the emitter is, I would concede the Earth must be flat. Presuming of course, you were able to show the beach had in fact been built 'according to the curvature of the Earth' or similar. Without that the results could just as easily be showing they simply made a flat beach. Remember with that said though, accuracy is key. If your laser center is variable by + or - 10 cm or something, it's not all that useful. There is after all only a dip of 40 cm over that distance.

Second edit (these did not end up all that small): Conversely, if these results are compatible with the RE model, will you admit the Earth is round? I see no reason the wager should only be going one way after all.
Thanks, i did pay attention to your first attempt and you make some valid points  !!

Of course i would accept a roundearth if a proper test was carried out ....that is the whole idea of testing !

But living for 20 years at the beach of the flattest place on earth there is no doubt that the earth is ''flattish''.
I have used the curvature calculator to see if things add up, plus refraction corrections and still i can see way, way further than what i should see.

This is the famous Pier in Scheveningen.
The length of the main posts, total height etc are known .
The total Pier is clearly visible through binoculars in towns 20-40 km up North.
The main posts are alway visible at 20km, because the shore gently curves in a way heading North that the ''Pier'' is at an ideal position viewed from the beach up north.

It was the first thing that absolutely didn't make any sense to me when looking into flatearth.
Even at a modest of 20 km distance 18 meters should be hidden and at 40km the total pier should be behind the curvature...even if you add refraction.

I have not much time in daily life, but this is priority one on my list, to take a Nikon P900 and take some nice pictures along the coast....only to confirm my own flatearth bias !
And what you people want to believe, i can not influence of course.....

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #1218 on: September 13, 2017, 12:23:46 PM »
Of course i would accept a roundearth if a proper test was carried out ....that is the whole idea of testing !
Would you need to conduct the test yourself, or would you accept the results of someone else's test?

« Reply #1219 on: September 13, 2017, 12:43:38 PM »

Thanks, i did pay attention to your first attempt and you make some valid points  !!

But living for 20 years at the beach of the flattest place on earth there is no doubt that the earth is ''flattish''.
I have used the curvature calculator to see if things add up, plus refraction corrections and still i can see way, way further than what i should see.

The total Pier is clearly visible through binoculars in towns 20-40 km up North.
The main posts are alway visible at 20km, because the shore gently curves in a way heading North that the ''Pier'' is at an ideal position viewed from the beach up north.

It was the first thing that absolutely didn't make any sense to me when looking into flatearth.
Even at a modest of 20 km distance 18 meters should be hidden and at 40km the total pier should be behind the curvature...even if you add refraction.

I have not much time in daily life, but this is priority one on my list, to take a Nikon P900 and take some nice pictures along the coast....only to confirm my own flatearth bias !
And what you people want to believe, i can not influence of course.....
See, this along with your mention earlier of them being man-made beaches is the only real cause of my hesitation. I would wonder if, being under sea level (and thus largely constructed in some manner? Again, you mentioned the dam things, can't recall the name right now) could have something to do with the flatness you are seeing. I would really want to see more information in regards to how everything was constructed. It seems entirely too plausible it wasn't build with curvature in mind, but rather just to be flat. I struggle some with the way the waves lap, but if it was smoothed or 'flattened' in some manner, would one even be able to see the difference between the waves lapping at one end compared to the other? Standing in the middle of 30 kilo stretch, each end will only be different from yours by less than 20 meters.

Could the fact you can see so far be a byproduct of interference by man in some manner? Just thoughts. Need to nail down as many oddities and variable as possible before an experiment after all.

JackBlack

« Reply #1220 on: September 13, 2017, 02:36:40 PM »
No, the REers are not the brainwashed ones. We can easily fathom a flat result, it just wont happen in reality. The best you will get is a result that is incapable of distinguishing between flat and round.

As I said elsewhere, it is akin to asking us what would convince us Earth is made of cheese when we know it isn't and can't be.

JackBlack

« Reply #1221 on: September 13, 2017, 02:49:22 PM »
Really? That's a bit sad. I read about a bedford level experiment before I came here but I think it was debunked.
When FEers present that experiment they typically only present one set of results (or at most a few that agree with them).
If I recall, it was a telescope close to the level of the water seeing more than it should.
This has 2 explanations Earth is flat or Earth is round and refraction was playing a significant role.
But there were several other sets of results, which showed Earth was round, such as that by a surveyor Alfred Russel Wallace, who avoided the main issue of refraction by moving it up significantly higher (4 m above the water) using 3 poles, 2 at each end to establish a straight line and 1 in the middle to show the bulge.

Unlike Robotham's result where it was just him observing it and telling people, as this was a bet Wallace's had referees view it and note the result as well making it a more trustworthy result.
But of course, the flatties didn't like it and rejected it.

JackBlack

« Reply #1222 on: September 13, 2017, 02:57:39 PM »
It seems that the globers claim there is huge amount of rock solid proof for the globe that ''anyone'' can check !.
Because there is.
One of the simplest is to watch a sunset on a beach and watch the sun disappear from the bottom up, while also noting that it remains above a point on Earth somewhere.

Another would be to take a time-lapse of the stars, with 2 cameras 180 degrees apart, one pointing due north the other pointing due south (as long as you aren't too far north or south). Observe how all the stars appear to circle around a point either due south or due north.
Then go and do that in another location and observe how they are still due north and due south.
This would then require 2 non-co-linear lines to intersect twice, impossible on a flat Earth.
Or go to a lake and observe a city across the lake noting how the bottom of buildings are obscured with the only thin getting in the way being the water, which is below both you and the buildings.

But when i show one of the flattest places on earth (artificially created beaches that are as flat as sealevel)
You are aware sea level isn't flat? It is level.

The flattest places on Earth would be the beam lines for LIGO.

and ask what would proof a flatearth it seems extremely hard to proof the very thing they claim is easily proved.
No. We discussed proving a round Earth, not a flat Earth. It is impossible to prove a flat Earth as Earth isn't flat.

If the terrain that i have presented and suggested isn't qualified to do a proper curvature test, then we have established at least one thing.
No, the terrain wasn't the issue. The air and your misapplied curvature calculation was.
It is quite well known that the atmosphere causes light to bend down, being variable, especially quite close to the surface.

The same applies to photography,.....i am willing to do some test in the future, but i hate the fact that all globular  refraction magic will surely manipulate any result i come up with.
No, that would be the FEers, using refraction magic and BS atmoplanic lensing to "explain" why the bottom of buildings are missing or why you can't see the bottom of the object.

I think it is wiser to spend my time elsewhere......unless there is a rocksolid agreement prior to a test.
We agreed you should do your test. Even if not for us, for yourself.
Just note the limitations of it, including the issue of refraction and note that you can't use a calculation based upon a perfect sphere in a vacuum to say because we can see 1 mm extra Earth can't be round.

His diagram is also massively not to scale.
Do you know how far off level you need to be to hit a target 5 km away?
Well the difference is roughly 1.962 m (this is because you are now going straight out, not down over the bulge, it would be akin to not seeing an object right in front of you at your feet because you aren't looking down).
So we have 1.962 m over 5000 m, that works out to be 0.02 degrees. So if you want to use a level, make sure it is accurate, and also note that gravity is not always straight down towards the centre of Earth.

And you have already been given it.
Provide a photo/video of a distant object where a significant amount (a few m at least and at least 20% of the object) should be hidden due to the curve where you can see all the way to the bottom, without any distortion which would indicate refraction is causing issues.
Make sure we can verify where the photo was taken and where the object is and thus determine the distance between them.
If you are worried about refraction, repeat it at multiple times of the day and night and in a few different days.

If Earth is flat you should see the bottom.
If you can't see the bottom, then Earth can't be flat.
Showing a bit more than you should based upon a calculation which would only approximate reality isn't enough. You need to show the bottom.

Additionally, if you are going to use the ground instead of relatively calm water, you need to show it is level.

It isn't. The difficult part seems to be getting flat Earthers to accept that and then go do the test and show the results.

There is also the issue of the multitude of bits of evidence for the current model which don't make sense in a FE model.
Showing the missing curvature would present a serious challenge to the current model. But all these other things present a serious challenge to the FE model.

And you have failed to provide any evidence of this.

And you fail to provide any evidence of this.

« Reply #1223 on: September 13, 2017, 03:19:36 PM »

But when i show one of the flattest places on earth (artificially created beaches that are as flat as sealevel) and ask what would proof a flatearth it seems extremely hard to proof the very thing they claim is easily proved.
If you are honest and curious enough you would just do the tests.
You've been told what people think will happen.  Why not try it and see?  If for no other reason then to satisfy your own curiosity

?

dutchy

« Reply #1224 on: September 13, 2017, 03:34:12 PM »
Would you need to conduct the test yourself, or would you accept the results of someone else's test?
A bit of both.
You know what i think about Apollo moonlandings and the dozens of anomalies present in the ISS,....i fully dismiss both as pure fantasy and nothing will ever change my mind unless i went to outerspace myself.
When people have no problem faking just a tiny aspect on some space related occasion, they loose all further credibilty to me !
Without getting into details, trust is extremely delicate, and before i trust any experiment i must understand how it is conducted before i can agree.

Seeing goofy gunmen proclaiming some sort of coriolis effect doesn't help either......when you also have testimonies from professionals claiming they never ever take any effect other than wind direction and rifle related stuff into account.
I understand that laser tests are tricky and most photographs have multiple explainations from both sides as to why things are seen beyond the supposed curvature.
Even the math involved isn't a garantee for most experiments.

What i do find laughable is that there is no need for a curvature device or that such a device is non excistent in our modern times with state of the art technologies.
If we can measure 1/10.000 of a proton to make absolute claims about gravitational waves (it is promoted as rock solid evidence) then it is even more absurd that earth's supposed curvature is to difficult to measure with absolute proof instead of accepting conclusions derived from observations, hypothesis, hearsay, back up from the ancient ones and placebo effects. (people claiming to see the curve from towers, mountains and planes)

It is only logical that with far better tools and technology the curvature should be measured, observed and tested with all new technologies at work for a far better result than ''seeing shipmasts disappear'', ''measuring shadows in Cairo with sticks'',''attaching a pendulum to a ceiling'' and more backward attempts that can never have a precise outcome that could be achieved with modern technologies.

The fact that the far superiour techniques are not used to update the not so precise interpretations of the past is a smoking gun.
Humanity has always tried to better earlier experiments for even more precise results.
Only when the curvature is at stake we think it is not needed to better the invalid test results of the past.(and also a full north south circomference flight around the poles)
That is, once again, at least extremely remarkable in a negative way.
And anyone who defends such claims (no further testing of curvature needed) should have a long look in the mirror reflecting the essence of the scientific method.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 03:43:39 PM by dutchy »

JackBlack

« Reply #1225 on: September 13, 2017, 03:46:32 PM »
It is only logical that with far better tools and technology the curvature should be measured, observed and tested with all new technologies at work for a far better result than ''seeing shipmasts disappear'', ''measuring shadows in Cairo with sticks'',''attaching a pendulum to a ceiling'' and more backward attempts that can never have a precise outcome that could be achieved with modern technologies.
You mean like it has been with things like theodolites accurately measuring the dip angle to the horizon, and with satellites taking pictures of the curvature from space?

The fact that the far superiour techniques are not used to update the not so precise interpretations of the past is a smoking gun.
No. You ignoring them is a smoking gun that you don't care about the truth.

(and also a full north south circomference flight around the poles)
Why a flight? Is it because you know a circumnavigation has been done?
Why not just the path of a satellite?

And anyone who defends such claims (no further testing of curvature needed) should have a long look in the mirror reflecting the essence of the scientific method.
There is a difference between needed and wanted because of delusional nutcases.

« Reply #1226 on: September 13, 2017, 03:47:34 PM »
So how about we build a particle accelerator that will only function if it is perfectly level over the course of kilometers, and we have to use modern engineering to account for Earth's curvature to build it?  Would that be better than ship masts?

Oh wait...we've done that already. 

Maybe you could build a particle accelerator designed around a flat earth and see if you can get it to work...

?

dutchy

« Reply #1227 on: September 13, 2017, 03:59:41 PM »
There is a difference between needed and wanted because of delusional nutcases.
Boehoehoe your precious globe is under attack....you should be proud to show what you've got instead of relying on fake satelite constructs and imaginary cgi.(bundled, photoshopped and interpreted by NASA photoshop personell who have come forward about this. The blue marble is nothing more than a construct according to NASA photoshop artists. And even the ISS timelaps is data gathered from different months/years, glued together, photoshopped and enhanced in every thinkable way ;D)
Why are you so angree that there are people who don't accept this as a presentation of reality ?

I do have some sympathy for you though,........RiF must have smashed your ego big time and you need some time to recover and in the mean time you lash out to others for compensation.
Tell me when your anger reaches normal levels again.....

?

dutchy

« Reply #1228 on: September 13, 2017, 04:19:18 PM »
So how about we build a particle accelerator that will only function if it is perfectly level over the course of kilometers, and we have to use modern engineering to account for Earth's curvature to build it?  Would that be better than ship masts?

Oh wait...we've done that already. 

Maybe you could build a particle accelerator designed around a flat earth and see if you can get it to work...
Do you mind that i raise an eyebrow when they claim to have measured ripples the size of 1/10000 of a proton as indisputable proof for gravitational waves ?
Next time they claim to find a ''god particle'', ''string'' and ''dark matter''. :o

Gravitational waves are considered proof for the insiders of the cosmology club !(wonder who dares to disagree though....)
Guess who is funding them ?
Nobody understood at the time that some satelite images of supposed weapons of mass destruction at the disposal of Saddam Hussein were fake as hell.
Did some scientific satelite imagery expert told the media they were fake ?
Did the president tell us they were fake ?
Did the UN tell us they were fake ?

No, no and no.

And there lies the problem,......non of us ordinary men can dispute their cosmological wetdreams.
You can pretend to be more than you are, but i am not buying it for one second.
If Cyrus Teed could built a very clever, but somewhat flawed curvature device, surely they could built a proper one now for all to see, test and observe for as long as we ordinary people want.
The fact that you don't think this is a good idea is telling, because you like to get intimidated by the cosmology club who presents you with placebo proof for the curvature and other outragious claims !
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 04:21:17 PM by dutchy »

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #1229 on: September 13, 2017, 04:53:03 PM »
A bit of both.
You know what i think about Apollo moonlandings and the dozens of anomalies present in the ISS,....i fully dismiss both as pure fantasy and nothing will ever change my mind unless i went to outerspace myself.
Actually, I was referring to geodetic surveyors.  Those are some of the people who actually measure the shape of the earth for a living.

Did you know that surveyors who measure the progress of very long tunnels do indeed take into account the curvature of the earth?
But the problems that bedeviled Eupalinus lingered, as surveyors discovered in the 12-mile-long Simplon tunnel in 1901. Surveying by then was a demanding but reliable skill, at least on the earth's surface. Tunnels were different. The Simplon engineers decided to use a sort of gunsight to keep their tunnel headings, which were to be driven straight toward each other, on line. They built two steel frames outside each portal; each of these had a steel plate with a slit in it. They were placed with the utmost care; surveyors measured more than nine hundred angles in setting them. Surveyors could peer from within the tunnel to see if the slits were aligned. This worked well for a while, but the tunnel face, following the earth's curve, appeared to descend 3 feet in each 2-miles. The gunsight had to be moved into the tunnel, and engineers worried that this could cause serious surveying errors.

What i do find laughable is that there is no need for a curvature device or that such a device is non excistent in our modern times with state of the art technologies.
I strongly suggest that you have a good, long talk with a professional surveyor sometime and ask them how they deal with the curvature of the earth.

If we can measure 1/10.000 of a proton...
I see that you like to bring this up quit a lot.  Do you understand how those ultra-precise measurements are made and when they're applicable?