How does Satellite TV Work?

• 357 Replies
Re: How does Satellite TV Work?
« Reply #120 on: February 27, 2014, 10:32:57 AM »
Ok, so nobody knows how many satellites cover the whole of the UK and what they are called. I'll now deck out of this thread with a smile.

Here it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Astra 1 at 19 degrees east
Eutelsat hotbird at 13 degrees east
Atlantic bird 3 at 5 degrees west
Eutelsat hotbird positioned at 13 degrees east
Atlantic bird 3 positioned at 5 degrees west

Is there any of this you can't understand?
Yes! We have two hotbirds in the same position...and two Eutelsats in the same position. Are they piggy backing or something or are they  Siamese twin like satellites. Help me out here.

It's a strange name to give 23,000 miles into space, satellites isn't it. BIRDS!
They provide the high number of tv and radio channels.  Multiple transmitters, called transponders, each with a narrow beam to limit coverage to particular area.
How come I can get all the satellite channels through my ordinary roof aerial?
How many channels do you get? How do you know you get all of them?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 10:40:06 AM by inquisitive »

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #121 on: February 27, 2014, 11:22:54 AM »
Ok, so nobody knows how many satellites cover the whole of the UK and what they are called. I'll now deck out of this thread with a smile.

Here it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes! We have two hotbirds in the same position...and two Eutelsats in the same position. Are they piggy backing or something or are they  Siamese twin like satellites. Help me out here.

It's a strange name to give 23,000 miles into space, satellites isn't it. BIRDS!
They provide the high number of tv and radio channels.  Multiple transmitters, called transponders, each with a narrow beam to limit coverage to particular area.
It doesn't matter about getting all of them. I get quite a lot that are SKY, so what's goiing on there? Is it leakage from the hotbird twins falling onto my aerial?

« Reply #122 on: February 27, 2014, 12:24:27 PM »

Here it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It doesn't matter about getting all of them. I get quite a lot that are SKY, so what's goiing on there? Is it leakage from the hotbird twins falling onto my aerial?
Which ones?  Some channels are on both.

?

Starman

• Never miss a day to learn something
« Reply #123 on: February 27, 2014, 12:47:09 PM »

Here it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are asking a lot of stupid questions. Get on the internet look it up for yourself. It is not hard. I promise  you will find all the information you need. I am not going to give toy a course on satellite TV in a forum it would take too long.
If this make you happy look at thishttps://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how%20satellite%20tv%20works&sm=12
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 12:48:46 PM by Starman »

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #124 on: February 27, 2014, 12:52:23 PM »
Yes I know. The point is, you can still get them through an aerial. I'm quite sure you can get the lot the same way. What's the difference?
I can get all the news channels from around the worlds circle, just through my roof aerial, just like my super well aligned 15 year old rusting sky dish that's been battered to hell and still going strong, amid at least one big satellite replacement launch into 23,000 mile orbit to nudge the knackered one away and take it's place to keep my signal nice and crisp.

I can just picture them space people.

Space person: Ok, it looks like the satellite that's working half of the UK is about to go on the blink, tell the rocket people to load up the birdy sat on ready 5.

Gopher: Roger that, Sir, I'll make that call.

Gopher: Attention! Attention! All personnel! Load the birdy satellite into the rocket, we have a soon out of commission satellite that needs replacing, be ready for launch in T minus 36 hours, over and out.

Space person: Ok you lot at the 8000 computers in this building that operate this rocket and stuff...stare at your screens whilst drinking coffee and make sure you have lit cigars and cigarettes in your mouths and hands...we have launch in 36 hours.

They then launch the rocket and it gets into space, then releases the satellite to power itself into position where the other birdy satellite is, by deploying a big rubber nose, ready to nudge it into deep space and take up it's exact position so no one on Earth  has any interruption of signal.

Job done! Hooray! ::)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 12:54:43 PM by sceptimatic »

?

Scintific Method

• Trust, but verify.
« Reply #125 on: February 27, 2014, 01:00:19 PM »
The satellite TV dish on my roof points North, at an elevation angle of 54° from horizontal. It is VERY directional; moving it 1° off-target will result in total loss of reception. This means that any tower would have to be placed North of me, and be twice as high as it was far away (ie a tower 1 mile away would have to be almost 2 miles tall). The tallest tower near where I live is 40km to the East, and a relative altitude of approximately 1km. So what's my dish pointing at?
It's a dish, it can be taking a signal from many angles that a transmitter is pointing to. That's why it's a dish. All it has to do is catch the signal at whatever transmitter is around, so yours like everyone elses will be coming from the nearest relay to you.
Transmitters aren't just confined to a few miles away. If you look around you, you will see one. You may not believe it's transmitting anything to you but then again, if satellites are shrouded, then nobody is going to tell you what's really going on, are they.

Why don't you look up how many supposed satellites are covering the whole of the UK and see what you think.

Looks like you missed the part about it being VERY directional. The signal can be (and has been) blocked by an aeroplane flying over passing between the dish and whatever it's pointing at. Test it for yourself, and you will see that the signal comes from a direction totally incompatible with ground-based transmitters.
As soon as an aeroplane flies above me I'll check that out. I've never thought to check this out and they fly over me all of the time. Maybe it's because my signal has never distorted, I haven't given any thought to planes.
I'll be vigilant though. I mean, we are talking about high flying jets aren't we?

No. Perhaps I should have been more specific. Where I used to live was close to Tamworth airport, and small planes landing on runway 30R would pass almost directly over my house on the downwind leg of their circuit. These regularly (but not always) blocked the signal, but only when they passed exactly where the dish was aimed. There was absolutely no mistaking the cause of the brief interruption of the signal; the correlation between a plane flying over and the signal being interrupted was perfect. Now, for something so small 500-1000ft away to block the signal completely, it must have been a VERY directional receiver. Where I live now, I still get small planes flying over at low altitude, but usually not directly over the house.
Quote from: jtelroy
...the FE'ers still found a way to deny it. Not with counter arguments. Not with proof of any kind. By simply denying it.

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt."

« Reply #126 on: February 27, 2014, 01:22:44 PM »
Which news channels can you get through your aerial?

« Reply #127 on: February 27, 2014, 01:23:34 PM »

You can't.  Stop lying.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

?

Starman

« Reply #128 on: February 27, 2014, 01:54:45 PM »

You can't.  Stop lying.
you can't. What system do you have?

« Reply #129 on: February 27, 2014, 03:42:17 PM »
The satellite TV dish on my roof points North, at an elevation angle of 54° from horizontal. It is VERY directional; moving it 1° off-target will result in total loss of reception. This means that any tower would have to be placed North of me, and be twice as high as it was far away (ie a tower 1 mile away would have to be almost 2 miles tall). The tallest tower near where I live is 40km to the East, and a relative altitude of approximately 1km. So what's my dish pointing at?
It's a dish, it can be taking a signal from many angles that a transmitter is pointing to. That's why it's a dish. All it has to do is catch the signal at whatever transmitter is around, so yours like everyone elses will be coming from the nearest relay to you.
Transmitters aren't just confined to a few miles away. If you look around you, you will see one. You may not believe it's transmitting anything to you but then again, if satellites are shrouded, then nobody is going to tell you what's really going on, are they.

Why don't you look up how many supposed satellites are covering the whole of the UK and see what you think.

Looks like you missed the part about it being VERY directional. The signal can be (and has been) blocked by an aeroplane flying over passing between the dish and whatever it's pointing at. Test it for yourself, and you will see that the signal comes from a direction totally incompatible with ground-based transmitters.
As soon as an aeroplane flies above me I'll check that out. I've never thought to check this out and they fly over me all of the time. Maybe it's because my signal has never distorted, I haven't given any thought to planes.
I'll be vigilant though. I mean, we are talking about high flying jets aren't we?

No. Perhaps I should have been more specific. Where I used to live was close to Tamworth airport, and small planes landing on runway 30R would pass almost directly over my house on the downwind leg of their circuit. These regularly (but not always) blocked the signal, but only when they passed exactly where the dish was aimed. There was absolutely no mistaking the cause of the brief interruption of the signal; the correlation between a plane flying over and the signal being interrupted was perfect. Now, for something so small 500-1000ft away to block the signal completely, it must have been a VERY directional receiver. Where I live now, I still get small planes flying over at low altitude, but usually not directly over the house.

I didn't know you're an Aussie! :) yay

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #130 on: February 27, 2014, 07:08:24 PM »
Like I said, I can post a lot of fake satellite news reports.  If I can prove that this has been done many times, does that not logically mean that it is done often?  Does that not logically mean that any satellite news report is questionable? 

You will probably answer with a big fat NO, because you are conditioned to do that, so I suppose that this entire post is just going to be ignored.

Don't ignore it now. Give me your true opinion. Are all satellite news report fake? Yes or no. If you cop out on the answer it tell me your answer is yes.

Jroa.. you did not answer my question. Are all TV broadcast fake?

TV broadcasts are intended for entertainment, not truth telling. 

?

Starman

« Reply #131 on: February 27, 2014, 07:12:09 PM »
Like I said, I can post a lot of fake satellite news reports.  If I can prove that this has been done many times, does that not logically mean that it is done often?  Does that not logically mean that any satellite news report is questionable? 

You will probably answer with a big fat NO, because you are conditioned to do that, so I suppose that this entire post is just going to be ignored.

Don't ignore it now. Give me your true opinion. Are all satellite news report fake? Yes or no. If you cop out on the answer it tell me your answer is yes.

Jroa.. you did not answer my question. Are all TV broadcast fake?

News networks are not for entertainment. It for reporting world events

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #132 on: February 27, 2014, 07:17:03 PM »
If this was the case, then they would not have to worry about ratings, now would they?  The fact is that all news stations must compete with each other.  The ones that are most entertaining get the most traffic and the ones that get the least amount of viewers go out of business.  They are in the business of selling advertising spots.  That is how they make money. 

?

Starman

« Reply #133 on: February 27, 2014, 07:32:21 PM »
If this was the case, then they would not have to worry about ratings, now would they?  The fact is that all news stations must compete with each other.  The ones that are most entertaining get the most traffic and the ones that get the least amount of viewers go out of business.  They are in the business of selling advertising spots.  That is how they make money.
yes but they still report the news. It is not made up. Take the riots in Ukraine. Or the gulf war. All the news networks wanted to report it.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #134 on: February 27, 2014, 07:50:55 PM »
Are you now claiming that everything that the news reports is 100% factual?

?

Starman

« Reply #135 on: February 27, 2014, 07:56:57 PM »
Are you now claiming that everything that the news reports is 100% factual?
Nope but there are things you can't deny like the gulf war. It does not mean reporters don't make mistakes but it is rare. If they make mistakes they could loose their job.

?

Scintific Method

• Trust, but verify.
« Reply #136 on: February 27, 2014, 08:01:20 PM »

;D

And to avoid being pinged for low-content posting:

yes but they still report the news. It is not made up. Take the riots in Ukraine. Or the gulf war. All the news networks wanted to report it.

This thread is not about the content of satellite TV transmissions, but the method by which they are relayed. Referring to my earlier posts on the subject, where is my signal coming from?
Quote from: jtelroy
...the FE'ers still found a way to deny it. Not with counter arguments. Not with proof of any kind. By simply denying it.

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt."

?

Starman

« Reply #137 on: February 27, 2014, 08:20:52 PM »

;D

This thread is not about the content of satellite TV transmissions, but the method by which they are relayed. Referring to my earlier posts on the subject, where is my signal coming from?
Well the TV station studio is transmitting to the satellite and the satellite sends it down to all of the area(Europe) in question.

?

Starman

« Reply #138 on: February 27, 2014, 08:23:55 PM »
Think of the TV satellite as electronic  mirror in space.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #139 on: February 27, 2014, 08:44:15 PM »
Or, that studio could just be transmitting to ground based receivers, as they have for the last 70 or so years. 

?

Starman

« Reply #140 on: February 27, 2014, 08:48:05 PM »
Or, that studio could just be transmitting to ground based receivers, as they have for the last 70 or so years.
They could and it is called cable TV and it is not the same as satellite TV.

« Reply #141 on: February 28, 2014, 11:21:56 AM »
No news fron scepti on 'all' his tv channels.

« Reply #142 on: February 28, 2014, 03:27:58 PM »

;D

Im so glad that so much of the rational, reasoned and logical content here comes from Oz and even better - NONE of the loopy stuff!

I love this country  ;D

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #143 on: February 28, 2014, 05:27:30 PM »
Yes, Aussies seem to be some of the least questioning folks that I have met. 

ausGeoff

« Reply #144 on: February 28, 2014, 05:29:07 PM »

Finally..... something you and I agree upon!

Although you did leave out advertising.  In Australia, the free to air networks are allowed 13 minutes of advertising time per hour in peak viewing periods, but their own self-promotional footage is not considered advertising.  So it's not uncommon to watch upwards of 20 minutes of ads in an hour.

Which is why I never watch TV.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #145 on: February 28, 2014, 05:35:58 PM »
??? I made a whole post about the advertising.   

ausGeoff

« Reply #146 on: February 28, 2014, 05:36:14 PM »
Yes, Aussies seem to be some of the least questioning folks that I have met.

And that's because we don't have any need to question everything we read or see or hear in Australia.  Information that's disseminated across our newsprint and TV media has already been scanned and checked for accuracy, truthfulness, and scientific credibility where necessary.  Unlike the US where so much bullshit is published and so much of that bullshit is accepted blindly by the population at large as credible, trustworthy and wholly reliable.

Unlike Americans, we Aussies tend to trust each other.  Why waste time questioning the truth?

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #147 on: February 28, 2014, 05:39:04 PM »
Must be nice to live in a land where you need not question anything that is spoon fed to you. 

ausGeoff

« Reply #148 on: February 28, 2014, 06:08:02 PM »
Must be nice to live in a land where you need not question anything that is spoon fed to you.

It is actually. Saves us one hell of a lot of time arguing amongst ourselves about the non-existent, implausible unproven, illogical—and highly amusing—pseudo-scientific flat-earth model.

It also gives us a lot more time to research, debate, and advance the merits of new and credible scientific proposals that will actually turn out to be of some tangible benefit to our society and mankind generally.

Unlike you Americans, we don't try and redesign the wheel..... or the shape of the planet.

« Reply #149 on: February 28, 2014, 06:12:47 PM »
and we thankfully don't have the religious wack jobs getting in the way either.. except Ken Ham.. lucky for us he lives in the states :)

yep, in the most part, we are a very level headed country.. although we lead the world in stupidity in other areas though, but that's not for here lol