gravity changes at different altitudes

• 32 Replies
?

tun

gravity changes at different altitudes
« on: May 14, 2018, 11:54:33 AM »
what is the FE theory behind the change in "gravity" (or whatever you want to call the downward force acting on everything in the atmosphere) at different altitudes? if the earth is accelerating upwards at the same rate then gravity would be equal at all altitudes.

why am i wrong?

Re: gravity changes at different altitudes
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 12:09:12 PM »
What makes you think gravity is different at different altitudes? Have you measured it yourself, or are you taking someone else's word for it?

Why would that be a piece of evidence that a FE would think valid, given all the other evidence that FE routinely claim is fabricated?

?

tun

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 12:20:08 PM »
What makes you think gravity is different at different altitudes? Have you measured it yourself, or are you taking someone else's word for it?

Why would that be a piece of evidence that a FE would think valid, given all the other evidence that FE routinely claim is fabricated?
fair point. i have not measured it for myself yet. i guess if they say it is fabricated then there is a definite way to figure out the truth (an easy way too). i would expect an argument for this one though since it is so easy to measure yourself

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 01:21:21 PM »
Science does not require you to make the measurements yourself.

The variance of gravitation over the earth is one piece of evidence that points to a round earth.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 07:26:38 PM »
What makes you think gravity is different at different altitudes? Have you measured it yourself or are you taking someone else's word for it?

I've measured it. One of the labs in college geophysics is to estimate the height of a building by using a gravimeter to measure the change in acceleration of gravity from floor to floor.

Good question. One of the attractions of the Zetetic Method is simply dismissing measurements and observations made by others.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 10:28:03 PM »
What makes you think gravity is different at different altitudes? Have you measured it yourself or are you taking someone else's word for it?

I've measured it.

I wasn't asking everyone else. I was asking tun.

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 07:41:11 AM »
One of the attractions of the Zetetic Method is simply dismissing measurements and observations
Fixed for accuracy.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

?

Realdeal

• Undecided
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 08:00:31 AM »
This is something I need to see myself.  For now, I can believe that you believe it and I have as much reason to believe it myself as to dismiss it.  Is there a way to do these measurements myself? 
You understand that much of the FE proposals are that we are being lied to by the greater scientific community and many others take the explanations as gospel.  If you wish to convince someone you can't just say its been measured.  There is a basis of distrust of authority, who in fact have lied before and have a motive for lying now.

Perhaps, use a greater level of introspective approach to examining your previous posts while keeping forum guidelines in mind.  I feel this would be helpful

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 08:35:42 AM »
I weighed myself when I lived less than 300 m above sea level near the East coast of the US.  I later weighed myself when I moved to the Blue Ridge mountains, more than 3000 m.  I weighed the same at both places.  Sounds like this whole thread is BS to me. 

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 08:46:43 AM »
I weighed myself when I lived less than 300 m above sea level near the East coast of the US.  I later weighed myself when I moved to the Blue Ridge mountains, more than 3000 m.  I weighed the same at both places.  Sounds like this whole thread is BS to me.

More than 3000 meters above sea level in the Blue Ridge mountains in the eastern US? Sounds like your post is BS.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

NotSoSkeptical

• Flat like a droplet of water.
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 09:02:32 AM »

More than 3000 meters above sea level in the Blue Ridge mountains in the eastern US? Sounds like your post is BS.

I will assume he meant feet.  As the tallest peak in the Blue Ridge Mountains is ~3900 ft.  As well, 300m on the east coast isn't very likely unless he measured himself at the top of the Empire State building.
Rabinoz RIP

That would put you in the same category as pedophile perverts like John Davis, NSS, robots like Stash, Shifter, and victimized kids like Alexey.

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2018, 09:29:37 AM »

Looks like you suck at measurement.

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2018, 10:09:17 AM »

I will assume he meant feet.  As the tallest peak in the Blue Ridge Mountains is ~3900 ft.  As well, 300m on the east coast isn't very likely unless he measured himself at the top of the Empire State building.

Mt. Mitchell in North Carolina, the highest point in the Blue Ridge mountains (also the highest point in the eastern US), is 6,684 feet (2,037 m).

NotSoSkeptical

• Flat like a droplet of water.
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2018, 10:48:15 AM »

Mt. Mitchell in North Carolina, the highest point in the Blue Ridge mountains (also the highest point in the eastern US), is 6,684 feet (2,037 m).

Yes you are correct, wasn't paying attention to my search (somehow I didn't type "Ridge").  But even then, I'd still go with him meaning feet.  How many people live on top of Mt. Mitchell, but living at around 3000ft in the Blue Ridge Mountains is a higher probability.
Rabinoz RIP

That would put you in the same category as pedophile perverts like John Davis, NSS, robots like Stash, Shifter, and victimized kids like Alexey.

Mikey T.

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2018, 11:40:48 AM »
No one lives in top of Mt. Mitchell.  It is a national park.  Most of the population of the Appalachian mountain chain lives lower than 4000 ft. Range.  For instance, Asheville NC is pretty much the closest City to Mt. Mitchell at a bit less than 90K people and average altitude of 2100ft.
Neverless, you want a bit more of an altitude change than that, and not weighing yourself, weighing a stabile weight (unchanging) on calibrated, portable scale that is zeroed right before weighing at each location.  The difference is very small.

JackBlack

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2018, 02:25:51 PM »
So you are saying you put on weight?
But then again, as you can't get the measurements right, are you sure you didn't weigh some amount in kg, then the same amount in pounds?

Try measuring acceleration instead of weight.

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2018, 06:10:57 PM »
I'd still go with him meaning feet. 

I'd go with him just making something up in an effort to derail the conversation.

Speaking of which...

This is something I need to see myself.  For now, I can believe that you believe it and I have as much reason to believe it myself as to dismiss it.  Is there a way to do these measurements myself? 

There is, but you need specialized equipment because the differences are small, but measurable.

To detect the difference in acceleration of gravity due to a change in elevation of, say, 30 meters, assuming your starting measurement is 6,370,000 meters from the center of the earth (approximately the mean radius of the earth), you are measuring a difference between 6,370,0002 and 6,370,0302, or 30 out of 3 million, or about 382 parts in 40,576,900. The weight of a 100-kg mass would change by 0.0009% due to this change in elevation. This is the equivalent of about a milligram, or a 150-lb person (at sea level) weighing

You need an accelerometer capable of this level of precision. In the old days a few decades ago, gravimeters were capable of reliably detecting changes smaller than this magnitude, enough to estimate the height of a 10 to 20-meter-tall building within a few meters. Nowadays, solid-state accelerometers are ubiquitous in cell phones. I don't know if those are capable of that level of precision, but they might be. Maybe you could investigate that. Even if they're not, sufficiently good accelerometers may be available for a reasonable price.

You understand that much of the FE proposals are that we are being lied to by the greater scientific community and many others take the explanations as gospel.  If you wish to convince someone you can't just say its been measured. There is a basis of distrust of authority, who in fact have lied before and have a motive for lying now.

I guess I fail to see the point in "authorities" trying to lie about something that can be easily tested and verified by many reasonably well-equipped academic and industrial organizations. I suppose the average person doesn't actually know that such things can be tested, but some investigation would find that it's true.

The FE "movement" basically preys on ignorance. Sadly, there's plenty of that to go around, and they gleefully try to exploit, and, if possible, expand it.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2018, 08:03:31 PM »
Might I politely suggest that you are having us on? You claimed that "the Blue Ridge mountains" are "more than 3000 m" but the highest peak in the Blue Ridge mountains is Mount Mitchell at 2,037 m.

But, even if you levitated yourself some 1000 m above Mount Mitchell, could you answer these simple questions please?
  • Did you measure your weight or mass?
  • If you really measured your weight did your scales have the resolution and long-term stability to measure say 80 kg to within 68 g?
Sounds like your claim is total crap to me.

Are you trying to take over from BotD's prime objective - making flat-earthers seem ridiculous?

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2018, 05:16:59 AM »
Alright, I got my units of measurement wrong.  It has been many years since I bothered to check the altitudes of these two locations, so forgive me.  At 253 feet above sea level, I weighed the same  as I did when I moved to 3,333 feet.  So, this thread is still BS. 

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2018, 05:41:00 AM »
Alright, I got my units of measurement wrong.  It has been many years since I bothered to check the altitudes of these two locations, so forgive me.  At 253 feet above sea level, I weighed the same as I did when I moved to 3,333 feet.  So, this thread is still BS.
Sure we all make these little mistakes, but your claim still means nothing.

I guess that on your cheapie K-mart scales you would "weigh the same as you did when you moved to 3,333 feet" but that is not evidence against gravity changing with altitude.

This is not quite relevant, but the measured weight changes are due to all of latitude, altitude and direction of flight.

Flat Earth vs Globe - The Eötvös effect observed in aircraft - how does it affect Gravity?

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2018, 05:44:54 AM »
I remember when noobs used to come here and demand that we find a tall building, and use a bathroom scale to weigh ourselves at the bottom and top of the building.  We've done this, and found no discrepancies.  The burden of proof seems to be on the globulists now. 

?

SphericalEarther

• Programmer. I believe in logic.
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2018, 07:16:46 AM »
I remember when noobs used to come here and demand that we find a tall building, and use a bathroom scale to weigh ourselves at the bottom and top of the building.  We've done this, and found no discrepancies. The burden of proof seems to be on the globulists now.
Really...

A bathroom scale would never be precise enough to measure the difference in weight due to gravity at altitude (unless at an extreme height of 50 km or more perhaps), or location changes. And your own body weight changes a lot (sweating, pooping, peeing, eating, drinking), so your experiment proves nothing that we would not expect.
You need a very precise tool to do this, and a stable amount of mass.

Here is a video of just such an experiment, using different latitudes, for your proof:
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 07:42:38 AM by SphericalEarther »

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2018, 07:20:34 AM »
Alright, I got my units of measurement wrong.  It has been many years since I bothered to check the altitudes of these two locations, so forgive me.  At 253 feet above sea level, I weighed the same  as I did when I moved to 3,333 feet.  So, this thread is still BS.
Yeah, because your body weight is an unchanging standard valve.  We both know that doesn't fly.  That proves nothing. 

Mike
Since it costs 1.82¢ to produce a penny, putting in your 2¢ if really worth 3.64¢.

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2018, 07:33:31 AM »

Ive been weighing myself at the same location for the last few years, and have concluded there’s something terribly wrong with the Earth’s gravitational field.

Did CERN unwittingly create a black hole as some predicted?

Could it be aliens?  Or the biblical End of Days?  Or maybe the FE universal acceleration is out of control?

I don’t know for sure, but I’m certain we’re all doomed.

Now I’m depressed.  Think I’ll go sit in the sun by the river and have a beer and a bratwurst or two to take my mind off it all.

JackBlack

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2018, 02:05:13 PM »
At 253 feet above sea level, I weighed the same  as I did when I moved to 3,333 feet.  So, this thread is still BS.
Nope.
Your claims and conclusion are the BS here.

Again, how are you sure you had the same mass rather than gain it or lose it?
How did you measure your weight?
How accurate was the device?
Had it been calibrated to a certain weight/mass before?

You are yet to establish that you should have noticed any difference in the measurements.

?

tun

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2018, 11:27:19 PM »

that is not really thought through. peoples weight fluctuates. did you eat anything? did you take a shit? did you have different clothes on? all those things will change your weight.
that aside, those measurements need to be done accurately rather than on a set of bathroom scales

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2018, 12:31:08 AM »

Ive been weighing myself at the same location for the last few years, and have concluded there’s something terribly wrong with the Earth’s gravitational field.

Could it be aliens?  Or the biblical End of Days?  Or maybe the FE universal acceleration is out of control?

Now I’m depressed.  Think I’ll go sit in the sun by the river and have a beer and a bratwurst or two to take my mind off it all.

From personal experience, the beer and bratwurst may be causing the anomaly.   ;)

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2018, 03:49:16 AM »

From personal experience, the beer and bratwurst may be causing the anomaly.   ;)

I’m not sure how my beer and bratwurst consumption would affect Earth’s gravity?

If you are right though, I guess I owe everyone an apology.

On the other hand, they are quite delicious.  I’m sure the world can cope by burning more hydrocarbons for transport.  I’ll keep going for now, but let me know if it gets really bad.

*nom nom nom*

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2018, 10:53:58 AM »
Your weight will vary during the course of the day far more than any expected difference that you should expect from the change in altitude.  Also, your bathroom scale doesn't have anywhere near the precision required for such an experiment.  Weighing a known reference mass with a precision scale might give you better results.  If only someone could think of a creative way to perform such an experiment. 
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2018, 11:28:15 AM »
I remember when noobs used to come here and demand that we find a tall building, and use a bathroom scale to weigh ourselves at the bottom and top of the building.  We've done this, and found no discrepancies.  The burden of proof seems to be on the globulists now.

Where was this data presented?

You're right that the difference would be imperceptible at best. I'm suspicious about your claim that "we" (meaning some of the flat-earth cohort) actually conducted such an experiment.