Beta Blockers

• 72 Replies

Thork

• Please do not touch or disturb me.
Beta Blockers
« on: July 18, 2013, 01:08:09 PM »
I kind of wanted to do this thread for a while, and its part of the reason I wanted a super secret forum ... but I went to the doctors today anyway so here is the thread.

As many of you will know, I'm not a big advocate of drugs. If I have a headache, so be it. Stomach ache, that's life. I never self medicate.

As you may or may not know, I have a pretty important interview coming up in the next couple of weeks. And I suspect because its important, I'm going to be nervous. Nervous to the point that it will damage my chances, being as the job is mostly public speaking - which actually bothers me a lot less.

Anyway knowing this, for the first time in my life, I decided to cheat by taking performance enhancing drugs. I can't keep letting good opportunities disappear down the toilet. Ultimately it is ruining my life. So I'm going to take propranolol. As a one off, to try to get the job I want.

Now I didn't get them from some dodgy site on the internet. I just went to the doctor, told her why I wanted them and she prescribed them for me. It was kind of easy. She said lots of people use them, but was surprised that I would ask her and even know the name of the drug. I tried not to go into a rant about steroids. They aren't too dissimilar in structure from steroids. They bind with receptors like steroids do, but they block adrenaline and other chemicals associated with fight or flight. You can't elevate your heart rate through fear, no sweaty palms, shaking, forgetting stuff, wobbly voice or anything else. These things make you as cool as a cucumber.

They are used by musicians, surgeons (stops shaky hands), sports stars, and public speakers.

So I guess the thread could ask any of the following questions

1) Have you used beta-blockers to combat 'performance anxiety'?
2) Do you think this is unethical?
3) Are you surprised how easily I got these incredibly powerful drugs from a doctor?
4) Do you think this is just everyday crap and not even worth a thread about?

Additional: I need to test them. Because my resting heart rate is under 50 (I exercise a lot), the doctor is worried that my heart rate may be lowered further and be a bit dangerous. So I need to test it before the interview in a situation where I would be scared some time in the next couple of weeks.

5) How should I get scared? Bungy jump? Dive with sharks? My sister suggested cage fighting but she's a bitch. >o< I need to be frightened, not harmed or made sick.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 01:10:47 PM by Ævan »

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
Re: Beta Blockers
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 01:13:56 PM »
Beta Blockers  >o<
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

Thork

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 01:15:20 PM »
 :-[

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 01:17:26 PM »
Try debating physics with Sceptimatic.  If that doesn't get your blood boiling, nothing will.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Thork

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 01:18:29 PM »
No, I can do rage. Its fear I can't do.

Lorddave

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 01:19:25 PM »
You got a second interview?

WOOT!  Congrats!

As for fear:
I recommend putting on a mask then going to a physics lecture and debating about the shape of the Earth.  That's got to make anyone nervous.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

?

OrbisNonSufficit

• I love Gasoline.
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 01:22:03 PM »
Good luck mate.  Staying calm like a boss.

Thork

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 01:23:22 PM »
Good luck mate.  Staying calm like a boss.
Yeah, that bit I've taken care of.

Thanks guys for support.

I'm kind of expecting a moral backlash though. I'm pretty pious and here I am, a drug addled cheat.

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 01:52:07 PM »
A lot of people that are strongly against something are actually a user or doer of whatever they are against. You taking drugs is not surprising. You should be ashamed. However it is good of you to come clean in the place where you condemn this stuff.
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 02:00:51 PM »
How did you find out about this drug if your doctor wasn't the one to bring it up?

Thork

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 02:27:00 PM »
How did you find out about this drug if your doctor wasn't the one to bring it up?

I'm the kind of boring bastard you want on your pub quiz team.

A lot of people that are strongly against something are actually a user or doer of whatever they are against. You taking drugs is not surprising. You should be ashamed. However it is good of you to come clean in the place where you condemn this stuff.
Would you take a drug to help you concentrate in exams?

Rushy

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 02:48:57 PM »
If FES used beta blockers, Thork wouldn't be able to come here. He is such a beta male.

Thork

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 02:51:31 PM »
If FES used beta blockers, Thork wouldn't be able to come here. He is such a beta male.
I'm not even going to bother formulating a comeback, until you try harder to post something funny.

Rushy

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 02:54:32 PM »
I'm not even going to bother formulating a comeback, until you try harder to post something funny.

He is such a beta male.

Genius

• Professor of Geniustology
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 03:16:54 PM »

He is such a beta male.

I find this sufficiently amusing. Thork is now required to formulate a response.
The earth is round because the space man said so.

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2013, 03:22:24 PM »
if you carry the recessive moon light gene, maybe staying indoors until your interview would be helpful. And no drugs.
Good Luck on your interview Th*rk.

Thork

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2013, 03:23:46 PM »
And no drugs.
It says on the box I'm not allowed to stop taking them until the doctor tells me to. :(

Sorry.

?

spoon

• Flat Earth Editor
  • ho ho ho
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2013, 03:28:50 PM »
Funny, I was just about to do a similar thread.

I don't know squat about Propranolol, but I've been considering using Adderall for my SAT and ACT. I've taken the SAT once before, and did well, but was completely aware of my exhaustion for the last hour and a half. It is my understanding that my focus and concentration will be more extreme and last longer than without. I have had many people vouge for it's effectiveness.

However, it is illegal without a prescription and I don't have ADHD or ADD or whatever. I friend of my cousin gets adderall, so I'll just buy off of him. I would probably to a threshold test a week or so in advance, to make sure I don't bug out on test day.
I work nights are get the feeling of impennding doom for things most people take for granted.

Lorddave

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2013, 03:44:39 PM »
This is why I'm glad I'm a good test taker and can speak in public without too much in the way of nerves.

I'm just a terrible speaker.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
  • Venerated Official of the High Zetetic Council
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2013, 04:30:32 PM »
Wow. I didn't even know those existed. I might find use for that particular drug in the future.

Anyway, best of luck to you.

Funny, I was just about to do a similar thread.

I don't know squat about Propranolol, but I've been considering using Adderall for my SAT and ACT. I've taken the SAT once before, and did well, but was completely aware of my exhaustion for the last hour and a half. It is my understanding that my focus and concentration will be more extreme and last longer than without. I have had many people vouge for it's effectiveness.

However, it is illegal without a prescription and I don't have ADHD or ADD or whatever. I friend of my cousin gets adderall, so I'll just buy off of him. I would probably to a threshold test a week or so in advance, to make sure I don't bug out on test day.

I drank monster before my last finals. Worked pretty well.

Junker

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2013, 04:50:56 PM »
ITT:  Thork admits he is an internet tough guy.

3) Are you surprised how easily I got these incredibly powerful drugs from a doctor?
1) No, be a man.
2) Yes.
3) No.
4) Yes.

Additional: I need to test them. Because my resting heart rate is under 50 (I exercise a lot)

You are no Lance Armstrong, and he basically cheated as much as you are now.

Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lance_Armstrong
At his peak, he had a resting heart rate of 32–34 beats per minute (bpm) with a maximum heart rate of 201 bpm.[44]

5) How should I get scared? Bungy jump? Dive with sharks? My sister suggested cage fighting but she's a bitch. >o< I need to be frightened, not harmed or made sick.
From the sounds of it, a job interview will do the trick for you.  They can be pretty intense  ::)

PizzaPlanet

• Now available in stereo
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2013, 04:56:48 PM »
1) No. Stress, when managed properly, improves performance. I see no reason to handicap myself.
2) No. There is no ethical question to be answered here, so it can't be ethical nor unethical.
3) No. I've been to a GP clinic before because I'm not afraid of medicine.
4) Pretty much, although it's a good thing that you've finally started exploring the world of modern medicine. Perhaps not the best place to start, but it's better than nothing.

Propose to Parsifal while he's drunk.
hacking your precious forum as we speak 8) 8) 8)

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2013, 05:09:24 PM »
1. I've never used them. Probably could, since I have anxiety issues, but I didn't even know they existed until now.
2. Not really. You're just calming your nerves.
3. Not really. They're just steroids.
4. Eh. Whatever.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2013, 08:27:03 PM »

I'm the kind of boring bastard you want on your pub quiz team.

Ugh.  Try finding one of these nowadays where everybody doesn't cheat.  Smartphones  >o<
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2013, 12:04:12 AM »
Try busking, stand on a busy street singing Justin Beiber songs, preferably in a rough town where that sort of behaviour could get you smacked.

It's strange, I've done story-telling busking a couple of times durings Artsfest and a small anti-valentines day festival and I never get nervous unless it's my own short stories I'm reading out.

Thork

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2013, 12:19:11 AM »
They aren't steroids.

?

OrbisNonSufficit

• I love Gasoline.
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2013, 08:24:31 AM »
I think you should go out to a pub and ask a girl out while sober, if that kind of thing makes you nervous. 

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2013, 01:07:19 PM »
They aren't steroids.

Are they not? You said they were hormonal. Most hormones are steroids.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2013, 01:27:15 PM »
Most hormones are steroids.
Sez who?
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2013, 01:33:05 PM »