Non-Infinite Universe, Universal Expansion, Gravity, Big Bangs and a Flat Earth

• 56 Replies

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
Light goes at the speed of light from any frame of reference. If you are going 1 m/s slower than the speed of light, and i shot a laser by you, you would watch it go by at what would still appear to be the speed of light. Though the spectrum would be greatly shifted for you. And as for the greater than speed of light crap. Information can't travel faster than light. So your point is inapplicable.

Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.
oh rly?

?

Doctor Yotsuba

• Hi! I'm new!
I don't think he's getting it...

He's not, but he's just a troll anyway, so I'm sure whatever logic, science or theory I presented him with, he would have a nonsensical contradiction. That's the last you'll from me about it.
I'm also an artist, I guess.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
I don't think he's getting it...

He's not, but he's just a troll anyway, so I'm sure whatever logic, science or theory I presented him with, he would have a nonsensical contradiction. That's the last you'll from me about it.
wrong he.....

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
I lol'd. I won't lie.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
It's not a theory, it's a fact. If it were possible for anything to move faster than the speed of light (and it is not), reflection of any kind would not be possible. Light isn't going to go faster than the speed of itself.
So what if you were in a space ship going .9c.  How long would you have to wait for your reflection?

EDIT: If you're still confused, take into mind that stars that have gone out many light years ago are still visible.
What the hell does this have to do with anything?

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

?

Doctor Yotsuba

• Hi! I'm new!

Ski

• Planar Moderator
Female.

Then to be fair, ma'am, I was referring to you. However, I will grant that you've behaved splendidly in your time here and shown a willingness to listen that is rare on the board.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

DrJoe

I think this is a brilliant theory.
Test.

DrJoe

It's not a theory, it's a fact. If it were possible for anything to move faster than the speed of light (and it is not), reflection of any kind would not be possible. Light isn't going to go faster than the speed of itself.
So what if you were in a space ship going .9c.  How long would you have to wait for your reflection?

EDIT: If you're still confused, take into mind that stars that have gone out many light years ago are still visible.

Well sir, some stars' light can take many years to reach the earth. If a star "goes out", we can still see the light, sometimes from millions of years ago, and it will be millions more before it actually stops shining when you're looking from earth. Making a connection?!
Test.

?

Doctor Yotsuba

• Hi! I'm new!
Then to be fair, ma'am, I was referring to you. However, I will grant that you've behaved splendidly in your time here and shown a willingness to listen that is rare on the board.

Getting what then, the fact that Saint Raist is a troll? Yeah, I get that. You're going to have to excuse me for being a bit oblivious, at times - I don't exactly take part in many internet communities as more than a casual observer.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
Without disputing what you've said as it pertains to RE theory, what does this have to do with the relative speed of light?

Ski

• Planar Moderator

Getting what then, the fact that Saint Raist is a troll? Yeah, I get that. You're going to have to excuse me for being a bit oblivious, at times - I don't exactly take part in many internet communities as more than a casual observer.

While what you say about Saint Raist may or may not be true (I won't presume to speak for him), I was referring to your grasp of the speed of light as it relates to relativity. If I am going 30 mph and shine my flashlight, the light still proceeds at c, not at c+30mph to my frame of reference. Hence you will always see your reflection no matter how fast you go.

narcberry

• Official Flat Earth Society Spokesman/min
Light goes at the speed of light from any frame of reference. If you are going 1 m/s slower than the speed of light, and i shot a laser by you, you would watch it go by at what would still appear to be the speed of light. Though the spectrum would be greatly shifted for you. And as for the greater than speed of light crap. Information can't travel faster than light. So your point is inapplicable.

Light goes at the same speed from any frame of reference.

No, the speed of light is constant for all frames of reference.

Light itself can travel at subluminal speeds.

Still, I don't think the distinction will matter, nor do I think you didn't know, nor will anyone care.

Why the post?

Well I felt like I needed to contradict someone.

Why you?

Not sure, and usually we are basically in wild agreement.

So again, why the post?

Good question, I can click "Post" or I can click "View new replies"

If my decisions were inside of a box, and could not be observed...

Is there perhaps a universe out there where this reply doesn't exist?

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.

Light goes at the same speed from any frame of reference.

No, the speed of light is constant for all frames of reference.

Light itself can travel at subluminal speeds.

Still, I don't think the distinction will matter, nor do I think you didn't know, nor will anyone care.

Why the post?

Well I felt like I needed to contradict someone.

Why you?

Not sure, and usually we are basically in wild agreement.

So again, why the post?

Good question, I can click "Post" or I can click "View new replies"

We can only hope.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

?

Doctor Yotsuba

• Hi! I'm new!
Without disputing what you've said as it pertains to RE theory, what does this have to do with the relative speed of light?

Nothing. My first post does not mention the speed of light. I got a bit off-topic, and for that, I am sorry.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix

Wow. I admit I was being a troll once.... So I argue, and you simply call me a troll. Your behavior and ad hominem attacks are very trollish. I'd get a mirror very quickly, but try not to break the speed of light while  looking at it, you might find out that you are wrong.

narcberry

Reported for trolling.

Ski

• Planar Moderator

Schrödinger says yes, and would that it were this one.

narcberry

Also reported for trolling.

?

Doctor Yotsuba

• Hi! I'm new!
I'd get a mirror very quickly, but try not to break the speed of light while  looking at it, you might find out that you are wrong.

We'll never know.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator

-- Bob Hudson

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
If a star "goes out", we can still see the light, sometimes from millions of years ago, and it will be millions more before it actually stops shining when you're looking from earth. Making a connection?!
No.  What is the connection?

-- Bob Hudson

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
I can't wait to find out.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
Female.

No she hasn't, she's just been an annoying troll.
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
From where do people adopt the assumption that time is recorded and can be traversed? Travelling "faster than light" would not tear the fabric of time, it would only affect the render time. For instance; if you were to look into a mirror while travelling faster than light speed, you would not see your reflection.

Only if the mirror were stationary, if it was on the spaceship with you then relatively speaking you'd see it as normal because the light on board the ship would be travelling at light speed+the speed the ship is going at. It's the same way you can hear things on board a supersonic airliner

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
From where do people adopt the assumption that time is recorded and can be traversed? Travelling "faster than light" would not tear the fabric of time, it would only affect the render time. For instance; if you were to look into a mirror while travelling faster than light speed, you would not see your reflection.

Only if the mirror were stationary, if it was on the spaceship with you then relatively speaking you'd see it as normal because the light on board the ship would be travelling at light speed+the speed the ship is going at. It's the same way you can hear things on board a supersonic airliner
No.

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
I know this is kind of a "little kid" question but what would be on the other side of the wall?

Most likely nothing. Empty space.
There is no such thing as empty space.
If you could travel faster than the speed of light, you would go back in time.
No, you are misunderstanding the lorenz factor.
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.