ANOTHER EXPERIMENT: Gravity Doesn't Exist

• 2289 Replies
Re: ANOTHER EXPERIMENT: Gravity Doesn't Exist
« Reply #1080 on: March 13, 2021, 07:24:59 PM »
Test was mentioned...
Whatever.
Point is.
Sceppy isnt doing anything beyond hypothsis.

Possibly, however I wasn't just "giving you the business" or being pedantic (for no reason, anyhow).

The point may be minor/pedantic, but it is important to science (and practicing it).

Test variables (beyond IV(s) and DV(s)) are not a thing in the scientific method, nor did you mention any procedure for testing them if they were presented as such.  I expect this was simply to save time, and you are not actually confused about experiment being the only way to validate/invalidate hypothesis in science (but many others are, sadly)

The only evaluation possible (and the sole function) of hypothesis is done through rigorous experiment alone.  Other "tests" are outside of the scientific method (i.e. not science/scientific).

« Reply #1081 on: March 13, 2021, 08:07:22 PM »
In terms of 'edification', I don't really see this website as a means of improving myself or my intellect of anything.

Fair enough.  Perhaps you would have had less reaction/resistance had I used the word "clarification" instead of edification.  In any case, the reasons to engage in a site like this is precisely that, edification, in my view (about many things, and generally minimally to do with the true shape of the world)

My questions are simply a tool to try and find out how far those who present their 'alternative' ideas about the Earth have actually researched them. There is a huge difference between simply making a claim (that the Sun and Moon are holographic projections for example) and being able to produce real and verifiable evidence that those claims are actually correct.

Agreed. However, getting clarification on those claims by asking your questions will (ideally) lead to edification (even if that edifying is that Scepti cannot justify/support their claims adequately in your view)

If you can find any posts by Sceptimatic where he actually and explicitly admits he is wrong about anything he claims then please point me to them.

I can't speak to that, and I agree that the inability to be humble (required for objectivity and to recognize and address one's mistakes) is a major shortcoming.  I'm sure that Scepti has as much experience being wrong as the rest of us, and I hope that they would not delude themselves to deny that (to themselves or anyone else).

His consistent 'get out' clause is that he only presents his ideas as what he believes in and doesn't make them out to be factual and real.

That is a fine out, however of course it is not science.  Through mere discussion and imagination all things are possible/conceivable.  When you test those possibilities/conceptions against reality by experiment is when it begins to be science, and not before.

So if someone asked you for a clear and precise definition of magnetism and what causes it, what would you say to them?

I would say that honestly we don't know, but there are some conceptions that are popular and useful.  In one of my, admittedly speculative, conceptions of it the magnetic "force" comes from infinitesimal sized magnetic monopoles inside and surrounding the magnet. Much like einstein towards the end of his life, I have come to the conclusion that "fields" are not a thing in reality (only equation).  Everything is discrete, as the quantumnists have found/demonstrated.

The pressure comes directly from each magnet to the walls.
How?  What creates the pressure?

This is a question for Scepti. My stab at their potential response would be that the pressure is created by preferential absorption or expulsion (perhaps by the shape or structure of the magnetic material) of very fine / permeable things in and/or related to our air.

If I place a piece of brass or copper on the outside of the plastic box then move it around near the magnet inside the box it does not move.  Why not?

Again, a question for Scepti. I presume it will once again come down to the material itself being perhaps already saturated with, or maybe resistant to, the small things responsible for the magnetic effect and pressure thereof.

Are you certain the magnet will not move? We can certainly cause the magnets motion to be altered by simple proximity to copper (lenz's law) - so I would not be surprised to find a minor motion in the reverse (in fact, I would be surprised if it was completely absent)

It forms a pressure circuit.
Surely what you call a 'pressure circuit' is basically what I would call a magnetic field.  Yes?

Again for Scepti.

So I take it we are in agreement then that your claim (that Scepti partially confirmed my interpretation of their statements merely because I agree with them) was in error?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 08:09:59 PM by jack44556677 »

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #1082 on: March 13, 2021, 10:53:30 PM »

What is a pressure flow, as compared to an airflow?

Don’t really understand this part, is it possible to explain the difference in your model clearly and simply?
Electricity is a pressure flow. It's a friction/vibration.

The simple way to explain electricity is by the movement of charge by electrons.
Now you have to understand why movement occurs to become what you see as a charge.
Can you go through it?
Charge is the property of electrons and protons. The movement does not create charge out of nothing. Electron flow moves slowly in wires.
You're not really saying anything.
For someone of your level of intelligence I’m not. Doesn’t matter though.  You can never back up anything you claim.

Electricity is well understood.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

« Reply #1083 on: March 14, 2021, 01:09:43 AM »
@jack44556677

I follow the approach that science has always taken.  I am guided entirely by the evidence available and form conclusions on that basis and nothing else.  Nothing is impossible until it is proven to be so.

Scepti doesn't follow this line in the sense that he flatly (couldn't avoid that one!) refuses to accept that the Earth is a globe.  However the same evidence is available to him as is available to anyone else. So what do you conclude from that?

Physics so far has identified three basic types of fields. Magnetic, gravitational and electric. A field being defined as a region within which a particular effect (force if you will) can be felt.  A gravitational field is created by mass, an electric field is created by a charged particle or particles and a magnetic field is created by the alignment of electrons associated with certain types of atoms.  Chiefly and most noticeably iron atoms.

A field is normally completely invisible to us and the effects can travel through both air and certain types of materials.  We can however make a magnetic field visible by scattering iron filings around a magnet. That is something kids in school do as a simple experiment.  What happens if you scatter sand over a magnet and what does that tell us about the magnet and about sand? The clue lies in the fact that the magnet and the iron filings are made of the same material.

We have tested magnets in vacuums created in laboratories and so from that we know that a magnetic field is not reliant on the presence of air.  That is proof that Sceptis theory on magnetisim being created by air or atmospheric pressure is wrong because magnets still work in vacuums. 

If a scientific theory is shown to be wrong through experiments performed or observations made then that theory is modified accordingly.  But those of a certain mindset shall we say turn to denial and ignorance instead rather than recognising that something is wrong and adjusting their theory accordingly.

In the world of conventional science and physics all the evidence available to us points to the Earth being a globe.  If one day evidence comes to light which suggests otherwise then we will give that due consideration and modify our models if necessary.  Lets remember that mother nature created the Universe we live in and we have occupied that Universe for a tiny, tiny amount of time. She also decided on what the laws are which govern this Universe we live in, not us. Science is our effort to understand those laws and no matter how much we might want to, if we don't like those laws or don't agree with them we cannot change them.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 03:18:48 AM by Solarwind »

Heavenly Breeze

• Pegasus from Gaul
« Reply #1084 on: March 14, 2021, 01:22:53 AM »
so where does gravity really end?
The earth believes, because magic exists!

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1085 on: March 14, 2021, 03:15:12 AM »
A magnet stuck to a fridge or whatever is similar in a way. The difference is merely molecular change.  As I explained a little earlier.

One thing that still confuses me about the magnet uses pressure bit is this - If I have like a tupperware plastic container (you know, the kind of thing you put leftovers in and seal it with a lid) and put a magnet on the inside wall and magnate opposite it on the outside wall. Then put the lid on. I can move the magnet on the inside around with the attractive force of the magnet on the outside. How does pressure cause/allow that when the two magnets are separated by the sealed container, or any other obstruction between the two?
The activation is by opposite magnets or even a metal. It forms a pressure circuit.

How does it form a "pressure circuit" through the wall of the sealed container?
It doesn't. It forms it through itself.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1086 on: March 14, 2021, 03:17:31 AM »
A flow of atmospheric molecules that are heat expanded to crash into each other after being broken down to hydrogen like decay.
If this nonsense was true, it would mean no metal would be air  atmospheric tight.

Correct.

JackBlack

« Reply #1087 on: March 14, 2021, 03:51:18 AM »
A flow of atmospheric molecules that are heat expanded to crash into each other after being broken down to hydrogen like decay.
If this nonsense was true, it would mean no metal would be air tight.
Correct.
Trying to play a semantic game of atmosphere vs air wont get you anywhere.
Plenty of metals are air tight, and that means they are "atmospheric tight".
That means your nonsense is wrong.

Just like the polarity of magnets shows your nonsense is wrong.

Now stop pretending everything is the air unless you can justify all these things which clearly show it isn't.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #1088 on: March 14, 2021, 05:15:58 AM »
A magnet stuck to a fridge or whatever is similar in a way. The difference is merely molecular change.  As I explained a little earlier.

One thing that still confuses me about the magnet uses pressure bit is this - If I have like a tupperware plastic container (you know, the kind of thing you put leftovers in and seal it with a lid) and put a magnet on the inside wall and magnate opposite it on the outside wall. Then put the lid on. I can move the magnet on the inside around with the attractive force of the magnet on the outside. How does pressure cause/allow that when the two magnets are separated by the sealed container, or any other obstruction between the two?
The activation is by opposite magnets or even a metal. It forms a pressure circuit.

How does it form it through itself and then atmospherically know to "communicate" with the other magnet outside the sealed container? If I slide the outside magnet around, the inside magnet slides around with it and vice versa. There must be some sort of atmospheric connection between the two?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1089 on: March 14, 2021, 06:28:49 AM »
Correct.

Now stop pretending everything is the air unless you can justify all these things which clearly show it isn't.
Put your brain into gear.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1090 on: March 14, 2021, 06:31:10 AM »

How does it form it through itself and then atmospherically know to "communicate" with the other magnet outside the sealed container? If I slide the outside magnet around, the inside magnet slides around with it and vice versa. There must be some sort of atmospheric connection between the two?
There is. They create atmospheric change around themselves.

« Reply #1091 on: March 14, 2021, 06:33:21 AM »
How do they do that then? Magnets don't need air to be magnetic so what has the atmosphere got to do with it?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1092 on: March 14, 2021, 06:52:45 AM »
How do they do that then? Magnets don't need air to be magnetic so what has the atmosphere got to do with it?
Remember when I used a sink?
Remember when I used sponge ball analogies?
Remember when I used vortex?
Remember when I used atmospheric pressure and not simply just a simple air push?
Remember the car battery?
I know I know, you'll say it means nothing...and fair enough. But then I can't help you with that mindset.

Remember all the little things I add and you may start to think on it and start to put little pieces of the jigsaw together to form something a bit more coherent to your own mind.

« Reply #1093 on: March 14, 2021, 07:01:20 AM »
Why do you have to make everything so complicated?  You are the self-declared simpleton remember?

What is wrong with just saying that magnetism is caused by the spinning of electrons within iron atoms?  When they align in the right way they produce the effect that we call magnetism. The electrons in other types of atoms cannot align in the same way so no magnetic properties.  We can break the alignment of iron atoms by bashing them against a non-magnetic material and so reduce the strength of magnetic field.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1094 on: March 14, 2021, 07:09:00 AM »
Why do you have to make everything so complicated?  You are the self-declared simpleton remember?
I don't think it is. It just happens to be from your side because you are unwilling to do your jigsaw.

Quote from: Solarwind
What is wrong with just saying that magnetism is caused by the spinning of electrons within iron atoms?
Explain the spinning of electrons within iron atoms and tell me how they cause magnetism.
In your own words and by super simple analogy, if you don't mind.

When they align in the right way they produce the effect that we call magnetism.
Explain to me about aligning and why this would be the case for magnetism. In your own words and use analogies when you can. Nice and simple.

The electrons in other types of atoms cannot align in the same way so no magnetic properties.
Why can't they align. What stops them?

We can break the alignment of iron atoms by bashing them against a non-magnetic material and so reduce the strength of magnetic field.
Why does bashing something change the properties, as in weakening?
A simple analogy and in your own words.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #1095 on: March 14, 2021, 07:39:38 AM »

There is what? An atmospheric connection between the two? How do they make that atmospheric connection when one magnet is inside the sealed container and the other is outside of it?

« Reply #1096 on: March 14, 2021, 08:43:57 AM »
Wjata the difference between atmospheric pressure and air pressure?

JackBlack

« Reply #1097 on: March 14, 2021, 02:22:53 PM »
Correct.

Put your brain into gear.
I have. And that really seems to be a problem for you.
Why not ask us for what you really want, for us to switch our brains off and just accept your nonsense?

Alternatively perhaps you should try to put your brain into gear, rather than just throwing out pathetic insults and deflection.

Again, if electricity was caused by the motion or air/atmosphere/gas, then all metals (and other conductors) would need to be permeable to this air/atmosphere/gas. But in reality, metals are not.

Likewise, if magnetism was caused by a flow of air/atmosphere/gas, then there would be a repulsive pole and an attractive pole, with attractive poles attracting everything and repulsive poles repelling. But in reality, there are 2 different poles, where opposite poles attract and like poles repel.

If you, or anyone, honestly put their mind into gear, they would very quickly realise that electricity and magnetism cannot simply be air.

I don't think it is. It just happens to be from your side because you are unwilling to do your jigsaw.
No, we do the jigsaw and realise your garbage simply doesn't fit.
So instead we look at what actually fits. In terms of magnetism, that is the motion of charges. That is what actually fits. That it is what actually explains things.
When you are willing to admit air can't explain it and move on to something that can, then maybe I will discuss how.

But until then, your repeated requests for an explanation is nothing more than a deflection from your inability to explain anything, and any explanation provided to you will likely be dismissed or ignored.

« Reply #1098 on: March 14, 2021, 04:28:22 PM »
Referencing back to your comments in reply #1094 I don't know exactly how magnetism works in terms of electron spin or alignment.  But what I do know from simple observations (remember you like to keep things simple) is that the effect that we call magnetism is confined to certain metals - chiefly ferrous (iron) metals.

That in itself provides evidence of a link between iron and magnetism wouldn't you agree? If magnetism was somehow related to pressure in air or the atmosphere then the effects of magnetism would be far more wide ranging between different materials, including non-metals. But it isn't.  So perhaps you could explain (since it is your proposal) how air somehow knows to produce a magnetic effect between objects which are made of or contain air but not other materials?

Since magnets retain their magnetic properties even when placed in a vacuum that is also confirmation that magnetism does not relate in any way to air or atmospheric pressure.

A different type of magnetism is produced when an electric current is passed through a coil made from copper wire.  How would you account for that?  When the current is taken away (switched off) the magentic field associated with the copper wire vanishes.  So clearly there is a link between magnetism and electricity.  Again supporting the hypothesis that magnetism is related to the alignment and flow of electrons.  Further more if you take a bar magnet and move it through a coil made from copper wire, an electric current is produced.  Hold the bar magnet so it is stationary relative to the coil and the electric current vanishes.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1099 on: March 15, 2021, 02:10:16 AM »

There is what? An atmospheric connection between the two? How do they make that atmospheric connection when one magnet is inside the sealed container and the other is outside of it?
They make the connection because the molecular change allows the seepage through the container with it being thin.
Think of it like a superfluid filtration through what appears to be a solid, which is not a solid to all broken down atmospheric matter.

Porosity is the key to this conundrum from your side.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1100 on: March 15, 2021, 02:12:34 AM »
Wjata the difference between atmospheric pressure and air pressure?
It depends how it's looked at.

On face value you pump up your tyres by extracting air from the atmosphere and pushing it into your tyre space.
Break that air down and try pumping elements of that break down into your tyres and see what happens.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1101 on: March 15, 2021, 02:17:54 AM »

I have. And that really seems to be a problem for you.
Why not ask us for what you really want, for us to switch our brains off and just accept your nonsense?

I want nothing from you. You can disappear for all I care.
You ask me about stuff and I tell you. You don't like what I tell you so you claim I don't tell you or that I'm wrong.

What more can I do?
You won't accept anything I say unless it conforms to what you believe.

Until you provide concrete proof for your belief's then I'm going to question it and/or brush it off as nonsense, depending on how I see it.

You have the simple option of totally ignoring me but you choose to have a dig 99.9% of the time which negates the rest of what you type. You've been told about it and you carry it on. You create your own issues.

Don't waste your time replying to this with another dig because i'll ignore it.
If you want to be constructive then I'm all typing ears. I can't say fairer than that.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1102 on: March 15, 2021, 02:32:02 AM »
Referencing back to your comments in reply #1094 I don't know exactly how magnetism works in terms of electron spin or alignment.  But what I do know from simple observations (remember you like to keep things simple) is that the effect that we call magnetism is confined to certain metals - chiefly ferrous (iron) metals.

That in itself provides evidence of a link between iron and magnetism wouldn't you agree?
A link in terms of structural make up and ability to hold atmospheric breakdown, yes.

If magnetism was somehow related to pressure in air or the atmosphere then the effects of magnetism would be far more wide ranging between different materials, including non-metals. But it isn't.
Can a sponge hold more water than a wooden block, once saturated?

So perhaps you could explain (since it is your proposal) how air somehow knows to produce a magnetic effect between objects which are made of or contain air but not other materials?
Atmosphere produces it because it's been broken down to light molecular elements, held by certain material structures.
It's about opening the doors of those structures to allow flow.

Since magnets retain their magnetic properties even when placed in a vacuum that is also confirmation that magnetism does not relate in any way to air or atmospheric pressure.
They don't.

A different type of magnetism is produced when an electric current is passed through a coil made from copper wire.  How would you account for that?
A different type?

When the current is taken away (switched off) the magentic field associated with the copper wire vanishes.  So clearly there is a link between magnetism and electricity.
Yep, clearly.
The key is knowing why it happens which I'm trying to explain in tiny parts to get to (hopefully) a bigger understanding from your part...if you're interested in understanding it from my side.

You do not have to accept it but you won't understand it if you just reject everything.

Again supporting the hypothesis that magnetism is related to the alignment and flow of electrons.
Yep and again it's about knowing why it flows.

Further more if you take a bar magnet and move it through a coil made from copper wire, an electric current is produced.  Hold the bar magnet so it is stationary relative to the coil and the electric current vanishes.
Same again. It's about material structures and energy applied to create 2 things. Friction/vibration and frequency.

JackBlack

« Reply #1103 on: March 15, 2021, 03:10:34 AM »
I want nothing from you. You can disappear for all I care.
You mean you would love for me to disappear to stop pointing out why you are wrong.

You ask me about stuff and I tell you.
And there you go lying yet again.
I ask you about things and you do whatever you can to avoid answering because you have no answer.
You still refuse to explain the polarity of magnets with your air, because you know that any model of magnets using air simply will not match reality.

You don't like the fact that you are wrong, so you try to prop up your false claims with blatant lies, like claiming you have already provided the answers.

What more can I do?
How about actually answering the questions provided and addressing the issues raised?
For example, clearly explain how the air causes attraction and repulsion such that like poles repel and opposite poles attract.
This requires explaining how 2 inward flows somehow repel each other, instead of attracting each other as simple logic demands.

You have the simple option of totally ignoring me but you choose to have a dig 99.9% of the time which negates the rest of what you type.
There you go projecting again.
Once more, unlike I actually care about the truth, so I will object to your BS.
If you don't want me to, stop spouting that BS.

And no, I don't take a dig 99% of the time. That only starts when you start continually insulting me to avoid addressing the issues raised.

If you don't want me to take another dig at you, stop taking digs at other people.
While you continue to do so, and project your inadequacies onto others and blatantly lie about people I will point out those lies.

GROW UP!

They make the connection because the molecular change allows the seepage through the container with it being thin.
No it doesn't.
The container is airtight, there is no way for the air to get through.

« Reply #1104 on: March 15, 2021, 03:20:56 AM »
They don't.

Have you personally checked that magnets don't work in a vacuum then to know this or are you just assuming they don't because that fits in better with your belief system?  I know magnets still work in a vacuum because I have tested them in the University labs where I did my Physics degree.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 07:00:25 AM by Solarwind »

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1105 on: March 15, 2021, 08:22:10 AM »

The container is airtight, there is no way for the air to get through.
Air tight?

This is why it's best to pay attention.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1106 on: March 15, 2021, 08:23:38 AM »
They don't.

Have you personally checked that magnets don't work in a vacuum then to know this or are you just assuming they don't because that fits in better with your belief system?
It's because I know a vacuum cannot be created. So do you but you'll argue for it because it fits the narrative.

I know magnets still work in a vacuum because I have tested them in the University labs where I did my Physics degree.
No you  haven't.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #1107 on: March 15, 2021, 08:31:27 AM »

Think of it like a superfluid filtration through what appears to be a solid, which is not a solid to all broken down atmospheric matter.

Ummm, the container is air/atmosphere tight - No seepage is occurring. And the air/atmosphere tightness has nothing to do with the thickness of the walls. Superfluidity is the creeping of the substance, not the passing through walls so to speak:

Are you now claiming there's no such thing as an air tight container?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1108 on: March 15, 2021, 08:36:49 AM »
Quote from:  stash

Ummm, the container is air/atmosphere tight - No seepage is occurring. And the air/atmosphere tightness has nothing to do with the thickness of the walls. Superfluidity is the creeping of the substance, not the passing through walls so to speak:

Are you now claiming there's no such thing as an air tight container?
Like I was saying.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 08:39:31 AM by sceptimatic »

« Reply #1109 on: March 15, 2021, 09:00:05 AM »
Have you personally checked that magnets don't work in a vacuum then to know this or are you just assuming they don't because that fits in better with your belief system
You didn't actually answer the question. I ask you if you have personally checked whether magents work in a vacuum?  If so how did you do it?

No you  haven't.
Without wishing to make this sound too pantomime like... O yes I have.  I should know.  I was there and we (as a group) tried it several times.

When you understand how magnets actually work rather than (as in your case) just how you believe they work, you also understand that they don't need air to show magnetic properties.  Hence we predicted the magnets would work when placed inside a vacuum chamber and then we tried it.  And they did!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 09:19:28 AM by Solarwind »