Transit of Mercury

• 230 Replies
Transit of Mercury
« on: May 09, 2016, 06:50:37 AM »
So, Flat Earthers.

There's a transit of Mercury today.  If you have a telescope and can project an image of the sun on to a screen, you can watch it for yourself.

Its timing and duration has been predicted to great accuracy using standard astronomical models of our heliocentric solar system.

How do you lot explain that, I wonder?

How also do you explain the live satellite streaming of the transit both from Nasa and the European Space Agency.  Images from which obviously correspond exactly with the images that are available from various places on the ground that have clear sight of the sun today.

It's a bit much to expect that all the terrestrial observers are faking their images and reports, don't you think?

Re: Transit of Mercury
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 07:18:15 AM »
So, Flat Earthers.

There's a transit of Mercury today.  If you have a telescope and can project an image of the sun on to a screen, you can watch it for yourself.

No there isn't. Mercury was constructed by NASA to preserve the Conspiracy.

Its timing and duration has been predicted to great accuracy using standard astronomical models of our heliocentric solar system.

But it's wrong.

The burden of proof lies with you to prove Mercury is real.

How also do you explain the live satellite streaming of the transit both from Nasa and the European Space Agency.
CGI.

Images from which obviously correspond exactly with the images that are available from various places on the ground that have clear sight of the sun today.

There are no consumer telescopes strong enough to see Mercury. They're tightly regulated by NASA so people can only get them if NASA allows it. I know this because I do not have a telescope.

It's a bit much to expect that all the terrestrial observers are faking their images and reports, don't you think?

No real observers. All shills.

Edit: Also, thread number has 666 in it, you can't be trusted.

Alright, now let's see how many of my objection predictions pan out.

First one and the edit were jokes, I'm pretty sure somebody will use the second through fourth and the sixth, and I've actually seen a form of number five here. They said there just weren't any telescopes with a required zoom level though, not that NASA handed them out to their shills.
Quote from: jroa
Wow, great non-response
Quote from: disputeone
I don't understand females but am still pretty sure they exist.
Quote from: markjo
Your first mistake was to presume there would be an academic debate anywhere on this forum.

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 07:24:16 AM »
There are no consumer telescopes strong enough to see Mercury. They're tightly regulated by NASA so people can only get them if NASA allows it. I know this because I do not have a telescope.
Ha, you totally had me going until this one.

You've heard of Poe's law?

It's virtually impossible to tell the difference between real FE rhetoric and a parody of it.

Joking apart, I photographed the transit of Venus myself a few years ago.  Didn't even need a telescope, just a camera on a tripod and a piece of welders glass as a filter.  The result wasn't particularly high quality, but the small disc of Venus was clear enough.

It's cloudy where I am today, otherwise I'd photograph today's transit.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 07:28:50 AM by Flyer »

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 07:41:04 AM »
Ha, you totally had me going until this one.

Not here? :P
Mercury was constructed by NASA to preserve the Conspiracy.

You've heard of Poe's law?

It's virtually impossible to tell the difference between real FE rhetoric and a parody of it.
I hadn't heard of it yet, but it certainly makes sense that it's documented by now.

Joking apart, I photographed the transit of Venus myself a few years ago.  Didn't even need a telescope, just a camera on a tripod and a piece of welders glass as a filter.  The result wasn't particularly high quality, but the small disc of Venus was clear enough.

It's cloudy where I am today, otherwise I'd photograph today's transit.
Neat! More curious to get an answer to
So, Flat Earthers.
Predictions: That wasn't actually Venus, you were hallucinating, you're a shill.
Quote from: jroa
Wow, great non-response
Quote from: disputeone
I don't understand females but am still pretty sure they exist.
Quote from: markjo
Your first mistake was to presume there would be an academic debate anywhere on this forum.

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 09:15:41 AM »
Was just out looking at it with my small telescope.  I don't have a filter for my bigger scope or spotting scope.  Got a few pictures, but have to go through them to see what really turned out.

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 01:26:12 PM »
I managed to capture a couple...

I promised these in an earlier thread.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 01:32:52 PM »
Looks to me that weeks have passed between the two images.  I suppose you are going to claim that you took both pictures this morning?  ::)

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 01:43:14 PM »
Looks to me that weeks have passed between the two images.  I suppose you are going to claim that you took both pictures this morning?  ::)

Well yes actually along with about 20 others. Would you like all 20 of them? What makes you think that weeks have passed between images?...

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 01:46:34 PM »

Well yes actually along with about 20 others. Would you like all 20 of them? What makes you think that weeks have passed between images?...

The little dot is very close to the edge of the sun in one photo and very far from the edge in the other.  Do I need to do the math in order to tell you how many tenths of a degree Mercury moves in relation to the sun per day, or are you going to just admit that you did not take both pictures at the same time? 

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 01:55:43 PM »

The little dot is very close to the edge of the sun in one photo and very far from the edge in the other.  Do I need to do the math in order to tell you how many tenths of a degree Mercury moves in relation to the sun per day, or are you going to just admit that you did not take both pictures at the same time?

What are you talking about?! Mercury transits the sun in about 5hours.
I watched most of it. Here is an image from about an hour later...

Notice how the same sunspot is present...which wouldn't be if these were taken on different days. Check the exif data if you don't believe me...

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 02:08:10 PM »
It was cloudy for part of the time for me, but here are two images an hour and 35 minutes apart.

1704 UTC:

1839 UTC, approximately third contact:

North is up in both images.

[Edit] insert omitted word.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 02:16:27 PM by Alpha2Omega »
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 02:15:03 PM »
What makes you think that weeks have passed between images?...
The little dot is very close to the edge of the sun in one photo and very far from the edge in the other.  Do I need to do the math in order to tell you how many tenths of a degree Mercury moves in relation to the sun per day

Yes, please do! I'd like to see your calculations.

or are you going to just admit that you did not take both pictures at the same time?

I'm sure richaddis would like to see the your details of your math first. I know I would.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2016, 02:27:50 PM »
Jroa loves to pretend to not understand things, or maybe really doesn't. 

Anyway, I'll post my shot later this evening.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2016, 02:29:12 PM »

Notice how the same sunspot is present...which wouldn't be if these were taken on different days. Check the exif data if you don't believe me...

Is that another stock image that you are trying to present as an actual experiment?  Will NASA ever run out of computer generated images for you people to use in order to try to prove the shape of the Earth?  Will you people ever stop saying that you can determine the shape of the Earth by looking at the sky? 

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2016, 02:30:25 PM »
What makes you think that weeks have passed between images?...
The little dot is very close to the edge of the sun in one photo and very far from the edge in the other.  Do I need to do the math in order to tell you how many tenths of a degree Mercury moves in relation to the sun per day

Yes, please do! I'd like to see your calculations.

or are you going to just admit that you did not take both pictures at the same time?

I'm sure richaddis would like to see the your details of your math first. I know I would.

I think Jroa has forgotten about perspective.

He is assuming that the transit is Mercury making half of its orbit around the sun...

Or he is just being his usual trolling self.

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2016, 02:33:03 PM »

Is that another stock image that you are trying to present as an actual experiment?  Will NASA ever run out of computer generated images for you people to use in order to try to prove the shape of the Earth?  Will you people ever stop saying that you can determine the shape of the Earth by looking at the sky?

I'm very flattered that consider my image NASA quality! Thank you!

It's actually far from NASA quality.

It was taken with a 5" Newtonian reflector/25mm eyepiece/iPhone 5S in an adapter cradle.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2016, 02:33:56 PM »

I would also like to see the math. Or you can save 50 posts and just say you didn't know the transit was so short time wise.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2016, 02:40:19 PM »
I think Jroa has forgotten about perspective.

He is assuming that the transit is Mercury making half of its orbit around the sun...

Or he is just being his usual trolling self.

jroa is talking through his hat again. I'd like to see his calculation, but I doubt he can do it; it looks like he's trying to deflect attention from his boast now that he's been taken up on it.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2016, 02:41:35 PM »

It was taken with a 5" Newtonian reflector/25mm eyepiece/iPhone 5S in an adapter cradle.

Well, it looks much more realistic than this one. 

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2016, 02:43:37 PM »

You warn me for low content posting and then you post that picture? You are dumb.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2016, 02:51:15 PM »
<Irrelevant stuff>

Have you done the math yet?

Do I need to do the math in order to tell you how many tenths of a degree Mercury moves in relation to the sun per day, or are you going to just admit that you did not take both pictures at the same time? 

I don't think an admission of that sort is forthcoming because it's not warranted.

You do need to do the math so you can tell us how many tenths of a degree Mercury moves in relation to the sun per day.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2016, 03:03:31 PM »

You warn me for low content posting and then you post that picture? You are dumb.

At least I do not quote myself and try to pass it off as a new point.  ::)

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2016, 03:22:11 PM »
I never claimed they were new points. Just points or really a question where the answer is the point but he was too afraid to answer.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2016, 03:25:49 PM »
I never claimed they were new points. Just points or really a question where the answer is the point but he was too afraid to answer.

What makes you think that your questions seem any less dumb when you post them over and over?  If nobody responds to you, perhaps it is you and not the people you are trying to get answers from who has the problem. 

FalseProphet

• Life is just a tale
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2016, 03:30:55 PM »
What makes you think that your questions seem any less dumb when you post them over and over? 

That's his way of admitting that he was wrong. Deal with it.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2016, 03:45:16 PM »
What makes you think that your questions seem any less dumb when you post them over and over? 

That's his way of admitting that he was wrong. Deal with it.

That made me laugh.  Sometimes, you actually have a sense of humor.  ;D

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2016, 03:49:45 PM »
Still waiting for the math, jroa.

I suspect it will be a long wait, though. Still think it will take weeks for Mercury to traverse a small fraction of the Sun's apparent diameter, or are you hoping we'll forget you claimed it would?

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2016, 03:53:06 PM »

I suspect it will be a long wait, though. Still think it will take weeks for Mercury to traverse a small fraction of the Sun's apparent diameter, or are you hoping we'll forget you claimed it would?

I am sorry.  I did not realize that you lost your calculator.  Perhaps we could have a fundraiser and we can all pitch in to buy you a new one? 

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2016, 03:59:17 PM »

I am sorry.  I did not realize that you lost your calculator.  Perhaps we could have a fundraiser and we can all pitch in to buy you a new one?

It was you who offered to do the math Jroa...are you retracting your offer?

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2016, 04:11:40 PM »

It was you who offered to do the math Jroa...are you retracting your offer?

I will help you with your math homework, but you will never learn to do any calculations unless you do them yourself.  That is what I used to tell my kids when they were living at home, and I suppose the same thing applies to you.  You will never learn to do math by demanding that other people crunch the numbers for you.  If the problem is too hard for you, I will help you break it down and I will even help you figure out which formulas to use.  And, always remember that Google is your friend.