My Computer Has A Soul

• 165 Replies

divito the truthist

• The Elder Ones
  • Relativist, Existentialist, Nihilist
Re: My Computer Has A Soul
« Reply #90 on: August 31, 2007, 02:21:23 PM »
They do respond to stimuli though. Keyboard sending in electronic signals isn't stimuli.

I'm speaking of replicating skin stimuli and stuff though.
Our existentialist, relativist, nihilist, determinist, fascist, eugenicist moderator hath returned.
Quote from: Fortuna
objectively good

Masterchef

• Rabble rabble rabble
« Reply #91 on: August 31, 2007, 02:27:12 PM »
lol

Exactly what part of a dancing robot is AI?  Maybe its the ability to use stairs and run. 
" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">
How about this robot:
http://www.robotster.org/entry/robot-senses-and-adapts-to-damage-in-its-body/

It might not speak, but it still has true AI.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #92 on: August 31, 2007, 02:30:50 PM »
lol

Exactly what part of a dancing robot is AI?  Maybe its the ability to use stairs and run. 
" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">
How about this robot:
http://www.robotster.org/entry/robot-senses-and-adapts-to-damage-in-its-body/

It might not speak, but it still has true AI.

Nope
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #93 on: August 31, 2007, 02:35:20 PM »
Where is this "soul"?  Can I see it?  Hold it?  Touch it?  Fry it, bake it, throw it, hear it, smell it, taste it?  You must prove the existence of a soul before you can say whether or not something has one or not.

P.S. - Good luck.

B.O.G. Won this one.
My problem with his ideas is that it is a ridiculous thing.

Genius. PURE, undiluted genius.

Masterchef

• Rabble rabble rabble
« Reply #94 on: August 31, 2007, 02:36:29 PM »
Really, there is no rational reason to believe that souls exist at all.

« Reply #95 on: August 31, 2007, 03:17:48 PM »
Its artifical-intelligents. 
A computer cannot think for itself.  No matter how many viruses it has. 

A computer alone cannot think for itself. The software/firmware tells it what to think and say. Technically, it could think for itself provided it was programmed really complexly.

Soul: many definitions exist, but the common theme is a relation to life.

Seperating a soul from its host causes death.

To seperate my body, you must seperate my soul.

To seperate a computer, you must seperate its soul.

My seperated body, will die. Either the seperated portion, or the whole.

My computer seperated, can live and function. While a finite limit on seperations exist, the computer can exist as 2 or more individual and seperate parts.

Therefore, the computer, as a whole, cannot have one soul. If it has a soul, it has many. One for each of it's atomic parts.

This thread definitely has no soul. In fact, it's purpose died in the mind (small) of its creator, and is now a placenta, rotting on the floor of a mad doctor's study.

I am sorry you haven't realized that although I have only been here 3 days total, and started 2 threads total.  I have engaged damn near every active member on this board with this thread.  This obviously speaks true my existence as a rotting placenta.  Aye? 

To the rest of you, I am happy to see you all actually engaging into this very tricky debate.

Peace
Try not to get dizzy as you spin in circles trying to explain a theory that is based on complete stupidity and ZERO FACTS.

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #96 on: August 31, 2007, 05:26:04 PM »
Really, there is no rational reason to believe that souls exist at all.

I stand corrected, MasterChief won the thread, and B.O.G had sloppy seconds.

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #97 on: August 31, 2007, 05:31:09 PM »
To the rest of you, I am happy to see you all actually engaging into this very tricky debate.

I am still not seeing this great debate. We have one mindless tool claiming his PC has a soul, then swapping his own stance for shits and giggles (mildly creative, but not innovative; learn from Tom) then we have several people arguing about how intelligent robots have become (based on year + old data and DEAR GOD, Hollywood straw men references to support antithesis), then we have you claiming the debate has been a success despite people pointing out...that...there...is...no...debate...to...be had....

Yep, sounds like an academic touchstone to me *grin*

A soul cannot be defined, because any definition of it is an opinion, because there exists no proof a soul exists. This leads one to conclude that anything assigned a soul is an erroneous assignment, because the presence of said soul cannot be validated by any concept under the sky in which you have somehow managed to remain breathing, despite your obstinate refusal to admit your "debate" simply does not exist.

And the Raspberry for "Best Comedy Thread Concept" goes to...

Trekky0623

• Official Member
« Reply #98 on: August 31, 2007, 06:07:41 PM »
Can a robot have feeling toward a person?  Is it sentient, or aware of it's own existence?  Can it adapt and evolve?

narcberry

• Official Flat Earth Society Spokesman/min
« Reply #99 on: August 31, 2007, 06:08:26 PM »
Can a robot have feeling toward a person?  Is it sentient, or aware of it's own existence?  Can it adapt and evolve?

If you cannot devise a way to measure that, it doesn't matter.

Trekky0623

• Official Member
« Reply #100 on: August 31, 2007, 06:10:19 PM »

I am still not seeing this great debate. We have one mindless tool claiming his PC has a soul, then swapping his own stance for shits and giggles (mildly creative, but not innovative; learn from Tom) then we have several people arguing about how intelligent robots have become (based on year + old data and DEAR GOD, Hollywood straw men references to support antithesis), then we have you claiming the debate has been a success despite people pointing out...that...there...is...no...debate...to...be had....

Yep, sounds like an academic touchstone to me *grin*

A soul cannot be defined, because any definition of it is an opinion, because there exists no proof a soul exists. This leads one to conclude that anything assigned a soul is an erroneous assignment, because the presence of said soul cannot be validated by any concept under the sky in which you have somehow managed to remain breathing, despite your obstinate refusal to admit your "debate" simply does not exist.

Hence...

What is a soul?

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #101 on: August 31, 2007, 06:20:16 PM »
An unanswerable question.

/thread

« Reply #102 on: August 31, 2007, 07:56:11 PM »

Hmmm....this sounds like your debating me...  Yet there is no debate, so that would mean you are debating yourself?
Try not to get dizzy as you spin in circles trying to explain a theory that is based on complete stupidity and ZERO FACTS.

Masterchef

• Rabble rabble rabble
« Reply #103 on: August 31, 2007, 07:57:44 PM »
Hmmm....this sounds like your debating me...  Yet there is no debate, so that would mean you are debating yourself?
Pointing out that it is not a debatable topic is debating? ::)

« Reply #104 on: August 31, 2007, 07:59:03 PM »

yes it is

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #105 on: August 31, 2007, 07:59:14 PM »

Actually to be fair MC, he has a point. He is rationalizing that the debate is now whether or not a debate formerly existed. What this means is, nothing this person ever says will ever garner another response from me, because he is clearly here for no reason but free time.

Now then, check your god damn pm's for once! :P

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #106 on: August 31, 2007, 08:02:46 PM »

The better question is will i oneday be able to bone a hot cyborg chick.

Masterchef

• Rabble rabble rabble
« Reply #107 on: August 31, 2007, 08:06:43 PM »
I only notice that I have PM's when I check my email. :P

« Reply #108 on: August 31, 2007, 08:10:15 PM »

He is rationalizing that the debate is now whether or not a debate formerly existed. What this means is, nothing this person ever says will ever garner another response from me, because he is clearly here for no reason but free time.

Well that's what you think.....but how do you know that's not what I want you to think?

Maybe I am a soul who flew down to Earth and logged on just to mess with you?

Or...  maybe I've posted a question, whether debatable or not has stimulated over 100 responses in shorter a time frame than anything here.

Maybe that hurts your ego?

Awwww..... it's ok 21 year old Canuck who thinks he knows it all but couldn't spell inertia if a cup of coffee flew in his lap while making a left turn.

Yaaaaa dare aye. 

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #109 on: August 31, 2007, 08:13:00 PM »

He is rationalizing that the debate is now whether or not a debate formerly existed. What this means is, nothing this person ever says will ever garner another response from me, because he is clearly here for no reason but free time.

Well that's what you think.....but how do you know that's not what I want you to think?

Or...  maybe I've posted a question, whether debatable or not has stimulated over 100 responses in shorter a time frame than anything here.

Awwww..... it's ok 21 year old Canuck who thinks he knows it all but couldn't spell inertia if a cup of coffee flew in his lap while making a left turn.

Yaaaaa dare aye. 

Yeah but how many of these posts were saying the subject sucked?

Masterchef

• Rabble rabble rabble
« Reply #110 on: August 31, 2007, 08:22:05 PM »
There is no reason to believe that. Even if you try and claim that it is possible, which would be a big stretch, being "possible" does not make it likely. You are using a fallacious line of reasoning that has no place in a real debate (or in the real world).

Yup, I'm sure Mids is torn apart inside because Mr. SkyDiver of teh internets got 100 responses in his troll topic. ::)

Who was that aimed at? ???

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #111 on: August 31, 2007, 08:27:05 PM »

That was the plot of a TNG episode.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

« Reply #112 on: September 01, 2007, 07:24:14 AM »

Yaaaaa dare aye. 

Yeah but how many of these posts were saying the subject sucked?

60-80%

?

BOGWarrior89

• We are as one.
« Reply #113 on: September 01, 2007, 12:33:33 PM »
The Flat Earth Society Forums
The only place where people will seize the opportunity to make a totally useless thread totally useless.
The only place where people will seize the opportunity to make a totally useless thread totally useless.

Yo, SkyDiver: Do ya get it now?

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #114 on: September 02, 2007, 02:56:27 PM »
"the fact is that most machines are just a collection of wires ad plastic. the computer for instance on which i've written this book has no more soul than a Toyota Corrolla which in turn has no more soul than a corby trouser press

but some machines do have a soul. Sometimes, as is the case with concorde and the AK47 it's because they possess that most human of qualities, a flaw, and sometimess it's because they were born carrying the genetic fingerprint of a foolish and misguided inventor. Count Zeppelin springs to mind here." - Jeremy Clarkson- I know you got soul

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
« Reply #115 on: September 02, 2007, 03:08:51 PM »

« Reply #116 on: September 02, 2007, 06:40:55 PM »
60-80%

More like 83% but that's just my opinion.

Ohh....BUMP  8)

« Reply #117 on: September 02, 2007, 06:41:46 PM »

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #118 on: September 02, 2007, 07:10:23 PM »
No because someone has allowed your account access. That won't last much longer. ;)

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #119 on: September 02, 2007, 11:22:20 PM »
"the fact is that most machines are just a collection of wires ad plastic. the computer for instance on which i've written this book has no more soul than a Toyota Corrolla which in turn has no more soul than a corby trouser press

but some machines do have a soul. Sometimes, as is the case with concorde and the AK47 it's because they possess that most human of qualities, a flaw, and sometimess it's because they were born carrying the genetic fingerprint of a foolish and misguided inventor. Count Zeppelin springs to mind here." - Jeremy Clarkson- I know you got soul

My toyota corrolla so too has a soul. 

I love it. It is the best car ever. If you had said a Ford i would agree with you, they have no souls and are damned to eternal torment in a scrapheap.