Just Watched

• 226 Replies

Supertails

• what do i put here
Re: Just Watched
« Reply #210 on: November 03, 2013, 07:19:27 AM »
The trailer for I, Frankenstein.
Why does this film exist?

ohmygod I've been saying Aaron Eckhart has the perfect Frankenstein's monster head for forever

Also, because every graphic novel ever must be made into a movie, clearly.
Recently listened to:

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #211 on: November 03, 2013, 08:51:08 AM »
Wait, what? What was surreal about Eyes Wide Shut?

That may not have been the right word.  Maybe it was just too weird.

I can't help but think that this verdict is coming mainly from the visceral impression made by the orgy sequence, even though that is only maybe 10 minutes out of a 160 minute film.

Partially, but I thought there was a level of overall weirdness to it as well.  Character motivations, for example.  I could never shake the feeling that real people would never be saying or doing these things.

Foxy

• but it did happen
« Reply #212 on: November 03, 2013, 11:06:25 AM »
I could never shake the feeling that real people would never be saying or doing these things.

I have never been able to understand this complaint about films. Eyes Wide Shut is not a documentary.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #213 on: November 03, 2013, 11:43:11 AM »
No, but it's not absurdist either.  Or at least I don't think it was supposed to be.  My suspension of disbelief was severely challenged.

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #214 on: November 03, 2013, 12:23:50 PM »
So I just saw Ender's Game. I thought it was pretty good. I actually cried at the end. I was incredibly skeptical and apprehensive, seeing as this is one of my all-time favourite books, so maybe that even worked in my favour, but I still enjoyed the film and I thought some of the acting was really great. The characterization, too. It never felt like they were changing too much to appeal to a wider audience or dumbing it down too severely. It also helps that with this kinda stuff I keep in mind that they do need to make cuts and changes to translate it over to movie form—especially since such a big part of the book is in Ender's thoughts and what goes through his mind—but I think they did a pretty decent job. There were several parts I would've done differently (particularly his Mind Games and some points of emphasis), but yeah. 'Twas still enjoyable. :]
Recently listened to:

Vindictus

• insightful personal text
« Reply #215 on: November 03, 2013, 12:39:57 PM »
So I just saw Ender's Game. I thought it was pretty good. I actually cried at the end. I was incredibly skeptical and apprehensive, seeing as this is one of my all-time favourite books, so maybe that even worked in my favour, but I still enjoyed the film and I thought some of the acting was really great. The characterization, too. It never felt like they were changing too much to appeal to a wider audience or dumbing it down too severely. It also helps that with this kinda stuff I keep in mind that they do need to make cuts and changes to translate it over to movie form—especially since such a big part of the book is in Ender's thoughts and what goes through his mind—but I think they did a pretty decent job. There were several parts I would've done differently (particularly his Mind Games and some points of emphasis), but yeah. 'Twas still enjoyable. :]

Is the book worth reading now that there's an 'alright' movie adaption? Reddit seems to have a huge hard on for this book/movie, and I want to see if it's worth investigating.

Thor: The Dark World. I like that they're trying to do something different with each movie, instead of trying to make the first one again. It was completely silly and over the top, but it was also fully aware of it so it didn't suffer for it. Christopher Eccleston is good, but could have used more screen time. Both Chris and Tom are good, especially Tom. Idris Elba was enjoyable as well. The beginning does drag a bit and some of the editing felt a bit disjointed. Minor point, but Stan Lee's cameo was more enjoyable than it typically is.

7/10, another Marvel movie worth seeing. I enjoyed it more than Thor.

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #216 on: November 03, 2013, 12:43:37 PM »
Thor is out? Huh, it wasn't at the theater...

And I think the book's always been worth reading! I'm surprised anyone on the Internet has that much love for the movie, it wasn't much more than 'pretty good' and I can't say how much I would've liked it if I hadn't loved the book. But I think I'd still say go for the book; the movie far from captured everything. I'm gonna go read it again myself, since it's been years since I read it.
Recently listened to:

rooster

« Reply #217 on: November 03, 2013, 02:36:56 PM »
Thor is out? Huh, it wasn't at the theater...

And I think the book's always been worth reading! I'm surprised anyone on the Internet has that much love for the movie, it wasn't much more than 'pretty good' and I can't say how much I would've liked it if I hadn't loved the book. But I think I'd still say go for the book; the movie far from captured everything. I'm gonna go read it again myself, since it's been years since I read it.
It comes out on the 8th for us. Thor is my favorite Marvel character so I'll definitely be seeing it.

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #218 on: November 03, 2013, 03:07:40 PM »
Really? Why's he your favourite? His mythos has never really been all that cool to me, it's a bit too much a straight rip of the Norse mythology with a couple of Marvel twists thrown in. I mean, I love Norse mythology, but he always struck me as one of the lazier Marvel characters.
Recently listened to:

rooster

« Reply #219 on: November 03, 2013, 03:17:10 PM »
Really? Why's he your favourite? His mythos has never really been all that cool to me, it's a bit too much a straight rip of the Norse mythology with a couple of Marvel twists thrown in. I mean, I love Norse mythology, but he always struck me as one of the lazier Marvel characters.
For exactly that reason. I was obsessed with mythology as a kid and it's what got me into history in general. A mythological character interests me more than their originals.

Vindictus

« Reply #220 on: November 03, 2013, 03:20:41 PM »
Loki is good in it, especially now that he isn't the main villain. It allows for fun dialogue between him and Thor.

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #221 on: November 03, 2013, 04:21:33 PM »
Nothing will ever top "...he's adopted."

@Rooster: Fair enough, it is pretty interesting. I've always just been a little disappointed because there's not a whole lot of major development or new background they can do with him since it's all pretty established.
Recently listened to:

Vindictus

« Reply #222 on: November 03, 2013, 04:28:47 PM »

Eh, I wouldn't be so sure. There's at least 2 Loki moments in Thor 2 that were similarly humorous.

rooster

« Reply #223 on: November 03, 2013, 06:00:18 PM »

Eh, I wouldn't be so sure. There's at least 2 Loki moments in Thor 2 that were similarly humorous.
Good. I fell in love with Hiddleston after Thor but I wasn't crazy about him in The Avengers.

?

Crudblud

• Scone Advocate
« Reply #224 on: November 30, 2013, 01:10:17 PM »
Punch-Drunk Love (Paul Thomas Anderson)

Knowing that he can do fantastic work like this makes Adam Sandler's film choices even more depressing.

glokta

« Reply #225 on: February 15, 2014, 06:50:51 AM »
just picked up True Blood seasons 1-5 boxset..just started season 5 today 8)
Quote from: sceptimatic
Use your brain. There is no sun in space. You are simply duped.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #226 on: February 15, 2014, 09:02:17 AM »
I like True Blood. The next season will be the last.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.