Sunsets and Altitude

• 8 Replies

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
Sunsets and Altitude
« on: May 17, 2015, 02:09:18 PM »
This is an attractive experiment, because it provides a situation where RET and FET fly in the face of one another. Under FET, the higher you are, the closer you are to the Sun, the sooner it will set (as the angle needed to view the non-lit side will decrease with altitude: though the reduction may not be by much). Under RET, the higher you are, the further around the Earth you can see, the longer it will be until sunset.

There's an experiment outlined here:
http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/0812/0812.3911.pdf
It's to find the radius of the Earth, but you don't need to worry about that. Just note the principle: using an observer in a tall building, and an observer on the ground, you can time when the sun sets. Exact numbers don't matter: the question is which took longer?
There should be several seconds difference. It may need repeated experiments or more sensitive stopwatches/whatever timing equipment is preferred, but from that alone you have a zetetic experiment to perform yourself, to determine the shape of the Earth.

Plus, note that the linked to document recommends the experiment be used and taught in schools. I spy a hole in the conspiracy.

Any takers? Pretty cheap, simple, and could revolutionize all of science if you do it.
We all know deep in our hearts that Jane is the last face we'll see before we're choked to death!

Re: Sunsets and Altitude
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 02:46:47 PM »
This is an attractive experiment, because it provides a situation where RET and FET fly in the face of one another. Under FET, the higher you are, the closer you are to the Sun, the sooner it will set (as the angle needed to view the non-lit side will decrease with altitude: though the reduction may not be by much). Under RET, the higher you are, the further around the Earth you can see, the longer it will be until sunset.

There's an experiment outlined here:
http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/0812/0812.3911.pdf
It's to find the radius of the Earth, but you don't need to worry about that. Just note the principle: using an observer in a tall building, and an observer on the ground, you can time when the sun sets. Exact numbers don't matter: the question is which took longer?
There should be several seconds difference. It may need repeated experiments or more sensitive stopwatches/whatever timing equipment is preferred, but from that alone you have a zetetic experiment to perform yourself, to determine the shape of the Earth.

Plus, note that the linked to document recommends the experiment be used and taught in schools. I spy a hole in the conspiracy.

Any takers? Pretty cheap, simple, and could revolutionize all of science if you do it.

The spotlight sun is the daftest notion of all time.   Obviously minutes after we leave daylight at 5000 feet in an aircraft it is almost totally dark on the ground.    If the local sky is overcast and the horizon is clear at sunset or sunrise we see the sun shining on the underneath of the clouds above us even when the open part of the clouds is many miles from us.

If a flat earther does not realise a spotlight sun is required for FET, then fair enuf i can understand they can believe in it, but if they realise a spotlight sun is needed I find it very hard to believe anybody can be supportive of such a totally silly idea.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 02:49:34 PM by Aliveandkicking »

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 03:35:02 PM »
I have proposed a similar question a number of times with no response from the FE troops.

I am a commercial pilot and spend much of my work day at 41000'-45000' above sea level.  From 41000' I see the sun setting about 15 minutes later than those on the ground directly below me see the sun setting. It is clearly dusk at ground level below...city lights coming on and it is nearly dark...while I am still in bright sunlight at 41000'.  If someone on the ground were to look up at me they would see my contrail illuminated by sunlight but, again, they would have seen their sunset about 15 minutes prior. You can see this too under the right atmospheric conditions.

To add to the OPs question...how would this 15 minute difference be possible on a flat earth?   

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 03:59:44 PM »
To add to the OPs question...how would this 15 minute difference be possible on a flat earth?
To be fair, a decent fraction of the 15 minute difference is likely due to the fact the plane is moving at high speeds: that's why I suggested a tall building (stationary).
Still, a lot more of that post is still relevant. Thanks for the addition.
We all know deep in our hearts that Jane is the last face we'll see before we're choked to death!

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 04:01:57 PM »
To be fair, a decent fraction of the 15 minute difference is likely due to the fact the plane is moving at high speeds:

How do you work that one  out??

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 04:04:24 PM »
To be fair, a decent fraction of the 15 minute difference is likely due to the fact the plane is moving at high speeds:

How do you work that one  out??

It may be complete nonsense, it's late here. I'll come back in the morning.
Part of my thinking was the difficulty with comparing the sunset time in a moving aircraft with respec to a point on the ground.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 05:18:25 PM »
If you are on a beach laying down and watching a Sunset over the water and once the Sun sets you stand up you can see the Sun set a second time.  I personally havn't tried this but I have heard from many sources that it's possible, and it makes sense because when you are standing up you are many times higher off the ground then when you are laying down.  I think this would be the easiest way to preform this experiment.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

?

tappet

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 07:06:08 PM »
If you are on a beach laying down and watching a Sunset over the water and once the Sun sets you stand up you can see the Sun set a second time.  I personally havn't tried this but I have heard from many sources that it's possible, and it makes sense because when you are standing up you are many times higher off the ground then when you are laying down.  I think this would be the easiest way to preform this experiment.
And you think this proves round earth. Brilliant.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 10:17:17 PM »
And you think this proves round earth. Brilliant.

I'm not seeing any flat earther explenations for it.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.