why do you believe?

• 119 Replies
why do you believe?
« on: May 28, 2009, 12:20:25 PM »
What did you observe or read which was so convincing that you became so certain that the earth is flat that you make assumptions such as the existence of global conspiracies and ice walls to explain anything that contradicts FET? What would have to happen for you consider FET to be less plausible than RET? How many people must be involved in the RET conspiracy before it becomes unlikely?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
Re: why do you believe?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 01:00:24 PM »
Why do you create "why do you believe" topics where there are several of these threads already.  Perhaps if you would lurk past page 1 and maybe use the search function for some of your questions, then your stay here will be a lot more pleasant than all of the abuse you are likely to get for asking questions that have already been asked many times before.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 01:38:06 PM »
I have read other posts and the FAQ, and I still can't find anything that would convince me the world is flat, since all "evidence" seems to rely on other untested theories or faulty experiments. What I'm looking for is what made you guys believe in FET before you accepted all the supporting theories like the UA, ice wall, or conspiracies. The only experiments I have found which come close to hard evidence involve superior mirages and the assumption that light always travels in a straight line. So what made you a believer?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 01:45:12 PM by cdenley »

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 01:59:20 PM »
RE'ers are a known catalyst.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 03:51:03 PM »

This^.

FE'ers are known as Idiots.

Actually, your comparison fails. He said that RErs are a known catalyst. This much is true. You said FErs are known as Idiots. This, besides being false, is not in the same context.

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 06:38:52 AM »
Nothing? Wasn't there a sound logical basis for FET before you accepted it as the most likely theory? Here are my theories for why you chose FET.

• delusion of grandeur: You want to believe that there is a massive and elaborate conspiracy (no matter how unlikely), but you are not fooled because you are enlightened. Basically, FET isn't much different from any other conspiracy theory.
  • While you may be smart enough to understand some basic concepts of physics, you are very gullible and can be made to believe just about anything.
  • You fully understand how absurd FET is, but want to see how many weak-minded visitors you can convert or win arguments with to prove your own intelligence or debating skills. Sort of like an intellectual bully.

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 11:19:36 AM »
I love how no one has given you an actual answer  :-*

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 02:27:32 PM »
The answer is obvious to anyone who comes here with an open mind and does a bit of reading. The search function is a useful tool.
Quote from: Tyrant
I guess you missed some things at school. And you were also to stupid for mid/highschool as well, else you wouldn't be here..

Benjamin Franklin

• Flat Earth Editor
  • The dopest founding father.
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 08:02:14 PM »
Reading the content here with an open mind.

Soze

• Flat Earth Proponent
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 09:12:38 PM »
Experimentation. Read ENaG.

?

SirChuck

• FEWL
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2009, 09:18:29 PM »

Yes but who are the rats in this experiment.

Benjamin Franklin

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2009, 09:19:10 PM »

Yes but who are the rats in this experiment.
Not every experiment requires rats.

?

Robbyj

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2009, 09:25:09 PM »
I prefer fluffy bunnies for mine.
Why justify an illegitimate attack with a legitimate response?

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2009, 03:08:23 PM »
I have read plenty of posts with an open mind. I haven't found anything yet except experiments which can only be replicated in specific conditions because it involves a superior mirage, and of course untested hypotheses which were developed specifically to support the possibility that the earth is flat. What experiments suggest the earth is flat besides seeing over the horizon? I am all for considering all possibilities and investigating the unlikely, but there is no reason to jump to the conclusion that the earth is flat. Even if you ignore the "conspiracy", there is no reason to make that assumption.

Benjamin Franklin

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2009, 03:10:45 PM »
The FAQ has a link to a free, online copy of Earth Not a Globe, which has experiments that prove the earth is flat.

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2009, 07:12:58 PM »
The FAQ has a link to a free, online copy of Earth Not a Globe, which has experiments that prove the earth is flat.

Did Rowbotham do any experiments which prove the earth is flat which can be replicated consistently and don't rely on the assumption that light always travels in a straight line? I skimmed over some of it, but he loses all credibility for making that assumption. Are his experiments really the basis for your faith in FET?

Benjamin Franklin

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2009, 07:17:35 PM »

Did Rowbotham do any experiments which prove the earth is flat which can be replicated consistently and don't rely on the assumption that light always travels in a straight line? I skimmed over some of it, but he loses all credibility for making that assumption. Are his experiments really the basis for your faith in FET?
Not the basis,just a part of my belief.

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2009, 07:43:53 PM »

Then I guess you didn't answer my original question. What made you believe in the first place? What is the basis? Is it science or blind faith?

Benjamin Franklin

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2009, 07:48:29 PM »

Then I guess you didn't answer my original question. What made you believe in the first place? What is the basis? Is it science or blind faith?

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2009, 08:25:10 PM »

Reading the content here with an open mind led you to the conclusion that the earth must be flat? What content exactly convinced you a flat earth was more likely than a round earth? Most content here seems to support the possibility of a flat earth and not the probability, so it should be simple to point out specifics. Was your mind as "open" when considering "round earth theory"?

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2009, 12:42:08 AM »
You seriously haven't figured it out yet? Maybe you're asking the wrong question.
Quote from: Tyrant
I guess you missed some things at school. And you were also to stupid for mid/highschool as well, else you wouldn't be here..

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2009, 12:48:02 AM »
My Archimidean Point was really just how absurd the notion of a flying ball Earth seems, but I became more certain of its falsity by performing experimentation, reading carefully the associated literature and conducting other empirical observations. The fact that I started being harrassed by the Conspiracy on a number of occasions when I attempted to publicise my views confirmed my suspicions about their existence.
"For your own sake, as well as for that of our beloved country, be bold and firm against error and evil of every kind." - David Wardlaw Scott, Terra Firma 1901

Moon squirter

• Ding dong!
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2009, 05:20:02 AM »
The fact that I started being harrassed by the Conspiracy...

This is highly relevant and interesting.  Can you please elaborate ?
I haven't performed it and I've never claimed to. I've have trouble being in two places at the same time.

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2009, 05:53:48 AM »
My Archimidean Point was really just how absurd the notion of a flying ball Earth seems, but I became more certain of its falsity by performing experimentation, reading carefully the associated literature and conducting other empirical observations. The fact that I started being harrassed by the Conspiracy on a number of occasions when I attempted to publicise my views confirmed my suspicions about their existence.
Why would an orbiting globe be more absurd than a constantly accelerating disc? The earth is "flying" at a constant rate relative to the sun in RET, but in FET it is accelerating at a constant rate, which means it is approaching the speed of light. Which sounds more absurd? Since every other planet we can observe is round, why would it be absurd that earth is? What experiments of yours confirmed a flat earth?

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2009, 06:27:49 AM »
You seriously haven't figured it out yet? Maybe you're asking the wrong question.
Why don't you try answering the question? I don't think you can without revealing that the basis for your belief in a flat earth is either incorrect or pure faith. I know you guys like to explain your elaborate, untested hypotheses which supports the possibility of a flat earth. However, I have yet to find any post which explains why a flat earth is most likely. My question is about probability, not possibility. I think you have been asking the wrong questions, which is why you drew your false conclusion.

Rogherio

• Me gusta las gambas.
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2009, 08:01:33 AM »
Logic and common sense led me to believe that the Earth is flat. When you look out of the window you see that is flat. The concept of gravity makes no sense to me. It isn't even properly understood by RE science. But the idea of acceleration keeping us on the earth seems entirely more plausible. We've all experienced g-forces in a car, rollercoaster etc.

"My breasts are small and humble so you don't confuse them with mountains"

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2009, 08:32:08 AM »
Logic and common sense led me to believe that the Earth is flat. When you look out of the window you see that is flat. The concept of gravity makes no sense to me. It isn't even properly understood by RE science. But the idea of acceleration keeping us on the earth seems entirely more plausible. We've all experienced g-forces in a car, rollercoaster etc.
A simple understanding of geometry would help you understand why the earth looks flat. If the RET circumference is correct, you would not be able to see enough of the earth from its surface to observe its curvature. What you see out your window cannot logically lead to the conclusion that the earth is flat. Because you don't understand why gravity exists, the earth must be flat and accelerating upwards for some unknown reason, therefore the earth must be flat? You're simply substituting one unknown for another.

Moon squirter

• Ding dong!
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2009, 08:52:28 AM »

I see you are a "Windower".  Trying to determining the shape of the earth from appearances at ground level is an invalid test.  Common sense tells us that both shapes would yield the same test result.   

Much much better test would be to look at the position and movement of the stars (according to time and location). 
I haven't performed it and I've never claimed to. I've have trouble being in two places at the same time.

Rogherio

• Me gusta las gambas.
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2009, 09:47:02 AM »
*yawn* any reading into my post history would reveal that I am very much not a "windower". I was just making a simple example.

Can you explain Gravity? Acceleration is a much more comprehensible and logical explanation.
"My breasts are small and humble so you don't confuse them with mountains"

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2009, 10:51:45 AM »
*yawn* any reading into my post history would reveal that I am very much not a "windower". I was just making a simple example.

Can you explain Gravity? Acceleration is a much more comprehensible and logical explanation.
I wasn't asking for a simple example, I was asking how you came to the conclusion the earth must be flat.

The reason for gravitation (curvature of spacetime) is theoretical just as the reason for universal acceleration (dark energy?) is theoretical. They both give an explanation for why objects near earth's surface "fall". How is universal acceleration the "more comprehensible and logical explanation"?