Religion and Science

• 43 Replies

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
Re: Religion and Science
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2017, 03:32:23 AM »
If it has a suffix of "ology," it is a scientific pursuit, whether you like it or not.
Sure like "Scientology" and "Astrology"! Both  :D real scientific :D.

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2017, 03:36:57 AM »
If it has a suffix of "ology," it is a scientific pursuit, whether you like it or not.
Geoff, in his own mind, now writes and provides authoritative definitions for Webster's and Oxford.

napoleon

• The Earth is not round, nor flat. It is a Donut...
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2017, 04:06:23 AM »
If your main basis or confirmation that the earth is a disk is because of your religion, alright. It makes your version of the FE just as likely as any other religion. If you believe something different, that is okay, but keep religion out of the science classroom because if your answer to everything is "God did it," you will have no place in the world of discovery.
Saying "God did it" is not an answer, For a believer is God behind every action on this world. Nothing happens without the permission of God, so you can answer "God did it" to every question you can think of.
So, for a believer, of course God did it, but you still need to specify how and why.

Why do you guys think that Religion and science are counterpoles of each other? science and Religion can be perfectly in harmony with each other. As a matter of fact, Why would God create one thing but teach us totally something different in It's holy books? that doesn't make sense.
I do believe in God, But also in his books, and Prophets...and I still am pro-science.
We need science to understand the world, but that will never disprove God.
Listen, I didn't mean to offend anyone. I don't feel there is enough evidence to prove whether or not there is a god. I can lean either way. However I did mean to say that if you look to your religious book for science, you are misleading yourself, as they were written before people had the ability to really understand what is happening in the world and why. Discovery first began when people questioned the organized religions.
God, depending on your definition, may or may not exist, however if it is your final answer to why things work the way they do, don't be offended if people ask you to step aside so that they may continue to question.
You do not understand the whole religion concept.
People back then perhaps lacked the ability to really understand what was really happening in the world, but God sure did. And those books were originally not "written" by people, but dictated by God himself. So basically, They could contain some scientific stuff in it. But the purpose of those was not the scientific part. and by constantly rewrite, and translate and rewrite again for different versions of it, a lot of it's content is being changed and misinterpreted.

I am sure there was nothing about a Flat Earth was mentioned in any of the original Holy books.
I think the idea of God was first created as a reason for why we exist. It was man's first attempt to find his place. Each religion has their different views on what God is, and I view each as theories. I also believe strongly that you can't prove a negative, thus making it impossible to say whether or not there is a god. While looking for how and why the universe works, the simplest answer is god or a higher creator. This may be true, or we may just not understand our universe yet. I think it's too early to make any final conclusions.
usually the simplest answers are also the best answers.
personally I think the existence of a God is more logical than the Universe being created because of a major coincidence. did you already calculated how small the chance is for the creation of a DNA molecule out of coincidence? that chance is very very small. and yet, it still is not an explanation for how life can exist.
I mean, you can perhaps create a cell, or you can even put some organs together and build a body with it, but it still doesn't live.
Too early to make final conclusions? may be, but you only have time until your death, after that you will die as a non-believer, which is not good for you if God turns out to really exists
I don't see why religion and science cant get along

After all, God would be the ultimate scientist!

He (or whatever it is) created the Universe! Try upping one on that at your next science fair project!
Amen to that,
But God doesn't need to be a scientist He is already allknowing. you can't compare the creator with the created.
Quantum tunnelling is supposed to give plausibility to the idea that 'something' could come from 'nothing'. So the big bang could have started this way.

If the universe goes the way of the 'heat death' in 10^10^10^56 years, it is theorised that quantum tunnelling could happen again and start another big bang. No hand of God required. For all we know this universe was spawned from such an event from a prior universes heat death and so on and infinite number of times.

Of course it's all theory and speculation and no one knows anything for sure.
Maybe it is the very hand of God which makes this "quantum tunneling" or "Big Bang" or "evolution" possible...ever thought about that?
Couldn't he just have used the Big Bang and evolution to create the universe and every living creature in it?
could that be an answer?
The earth is clearly a sphere and god, which ever one you happen to choose is an illusion.
Don't get confused my friend, just because there are tons of evidence of a sphere earth does not automatically mean that God is an illusion.
such behaviour is common for a lot of FE-ers. They try to muffle away some other arguments with the same effort of commenting on one particular argument.
I didn't expect this behaviour from you though.
so, where is your prove that God is an illusion?

Never argue with an idiot...
First they will drag you down to their own level,
and then they beat you by experience...

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2017, 04:09:28 AM »

That is truly amazing. I never knew there was this much reference to science in the Quran. The atoms part was especially cool. I will consider religious books when looking for science, but I will still be observing and experimenting in the world. Thank you for this. Very interesting.

And many people as well believe holy books are just books that talk about morals, angels and demon, but that is absolutely a wrong belief.
Also, many believe that those books are NOT the words of God, but rather written by ordinary people!

If those were not the words of the creator, then how could an Arab Bedouin, who lived all his life in the desert (with limited knowledge) know about all these scientific facts, that modern science only recently prove them right?
As well as the messages that came to Jesus, David & Moses, and many other prophets and messengers of God - they all passed the message as it came to them.

If some people that came later had altered what came in those messages and changed some of their meanings in translation, that doesn't make the messages wrong or shouldn't be taken literally!

That is why I decided to look into all Abrahamic books and extract what all agree about!

I am not against science that seeks the advancement of humanity, and NOT its destruction!
And you should always be experimenting and observing, because the only way to understand God and believe in Him, is to understand how he created everything and how things came to existence, without excluding His role in creation!

"Are those who have knowledge and those who have no knowledge alike? Only the men of understanding are mindful. " (Quran, 39:9)

"And whoso brings the truth and believes therein such are the dutiful." (Quran, 39:33)

Some words from the prophet:

"God has revealed to me, 'Whoever walks in the pursuit of knowledge I facilitate for him the way to heaven.'

"Seek knowledge from the cradle to the grave."

"The best form of worship is the pursuit of knowledge."

"To listen to the words of the learned and to instill unto others the lessons of science is better than religious exercises."

The Islamic Empire for more than 1,000 years remained the most advanced civilization in the world. The main reasons for this was that Islam stressed the importance and respect of learning, forbade destruction, cultivated a respect for authority, discipline, and tolerance for other religions. The teachings of Qur'an and Sunnah inspired many Muslims to their accomplishments in science and medicine.

Those people have taught science, math, algebra, astrology & medicine to the whole world, and still being taught in universities in our days, because they simply believed in God & knowledge!
God—the knower—is non-dimensional.
God's thinking is two-dimensional.
God's creative actions are three-dimensional.

napoleon

• The Earth is not round, nor flat. It is a Donut...
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2017, 04:14:04 AM »
That is truly amazing. I never knew there was this much reference to science in the Quran. The atoms part was especially cool. I will consider religious books when looking for science, but I will still be observing and experimenting in the world. Thank you for this. Very interesting.
Every Holy Book has some references to science. Unfortunately, the Bible has undergone too many changes, and translations so it has lost a lot of it's meaning. The Thorah is still relatively pure though.
But the Quran is the most recent one, and has the most detail then the other Holy Books.
one more thing: Islam encourages people to do science. People actually get credit for investigating and learning. They get even more credit for teaching or just by sharing their knowledge. It doesn't even matter what kind of knowledge this is. So people can earn credits just by doing science.
Never argue with an idiot...
First they will drag you down to their own level,
and then they beat you by experience...

« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2017, 04:22:10 AM »
Every Holy Book has some references to science. Unfortunately, the Bible has undergone too many changes, and translations so it has lost a lot of it's meaning. The Thorah is still relatively pure though.
But the Quran is the most recent one, and has the most detail then the other Holy Books.
one more thing: Islam encourages people to do science. People actually get credit for investigating and learning. They get even more credit for teaching or just by sharing their knowledge. It doesn't even matter what kind of knowledge this is. So people can earn credits just by doing science.

I agree 100% with the above said!

I am also sad; a wonderful book like the Bible has gone through a lot of changes and lost a lot of its meaning in translation; deliberately on purpose to hide the truth!

The Torah is a great book, as well - but again, it was surrounded with a lot of secrecy by those in control of the religion!
Religion should be wide open to the people and should not be practiced behind closed doors!
God—the knower—is non-dimensional.
God's thinking is two-dimensional.
God's creative actions are three-dimensional.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2017, 04:41:22 AM »
Geoff, in his own mind, now writes and provides authoritative definitions for Webster's and Oxford.
There ain't no Geoff here.You really must be both Totally Lacking and Totally Crappy to think that.
You must be more stupid than old what's 'is name - Puppy Leghorne or something.

Still, if you think that either "Scientology" or "Astrology" are scientific,
then I don't think much of your "science", but your never knew any science anyway!
By the way
Scientology
Noun:    Scientology - a new religion founded by L. Ron Hubbard in 1955 and characterized by a belief in the power of a person's spirit to clear itself of past painful experiences through self-knowledge and spiritual fulfillment.
From Websters Dctionary, Definition: Scientology

Astrology
Noun:   astrology - a pseudoscience claiming divination by the positions of the planets and sun and moon
Synonyms: star divination
From  Websters Dctionary, Definition: Astrology
I don't think Webster's needs any help from me, they don't seem to think Scientology and Astrology are scientific, but apparently you do!

disputeone

• Or should I?
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2017, 04:46:21 AM »
The Torah is a great book, as well - but again, it was surrounded with a lot of secrecy by those in control of the religion!

It was, very sharp, in a sense it still is.

Religion should be wide open to the people and should not be practiced behind closed doors!

I agree with this in many ways.
Quote from: Stash
I'm anti-judaism.

Quote from: Space Cowgirl
Whose narrative is it to not believe the government?

Quote from: Wolvaccine
speech should be a privilege. Not a right.

« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2017, 04:49:57 AM »
Not sure what my ass' hair has to do with this besides insulting it. Somehow I'm not offended and neither is my butthole.
The study of something is not the same as science. There is a difference between studying something, and performing the scientific method with it.
You can have inquiry about anything, mermaids, vampires, dark energy, god, but it doesn't make it science.
You ass hair was presented as analogous to mermaids, vampires, dark energy, etc.

But their are people who study the growth of hair and they are still scientists.

Oh my lord. You can study whatever you goddam like. Studying and researching and thinking of something is different from science. Science is the application of the scientific method. Please tell me when you can ever apply the scientific method to proving whether or not there is a God.

« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2017, 05:15:24 AM »
Oh my lord. You can study whatever you goddam like. Studying and researching and thinking of something is different from science. Science is the application of the scientific method. Please tell me when you can ever apply the scientific method to proving whether or not there is a God.
Oh, here we have an atheist hoping that "god," damns something...

Clean up, aisle 666!

"the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.
"the world of science and technology"
synonyms:   branch of knowledge, body of knowledge/information, area of study, discipline, field
"the science of criminology"
a particular area of this.
plural noun: sciences
"veterinary science"
a systematically organized body of knowledge on a particular subject.
synonyms:   physics, chemistry, biology; More"

« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2017, 07:50:29 AM »

Clean up, aisle 666!

"the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.
synonyms:   branch of knowledge, body of knowledge/information, area of study, discipline, field
"veterinary science"
First, I'm not an atheist, I can swing either way. Called being Agnostic.
Second, you can study and experiment with anything, however whether on not it is proved to be true using the scientific method says whether or not it is proven to be fact.

« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2017, 09:24:12 AM »
Second, you can study and experiment with anything, however whether on not it is proved to be true using the scientific method says whether or not it is proven to be fact.
Application of the scientific method does not serve, nor is its purpose, to "prove," anything.

You need to go back to the minors.

RocksEverywhere

• Literally everywhere.
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2017, 11:33:18 AM »
THE LAYERS OF THE EARTH

One item of information about the Earth given in the Qur'an is its similarity to the seven-layered sky:

It is Allah Who created the seven heavens and of the earth the same number, the Command descending down through all of them, so that you might know that Allah has power over all things and that Allah encompasses all things in His knowledge. (Qur'an, 65:12)

The information in the above verse is confirmed in scientific sources, wherein it is explained that the Earth consists of seven strata. These, as scientists have identified, are:

1st layer: Lithosphere (water)
2nd layer: Lithosphere (land)
3rd layer: Asthenosphere
4th layer: Upper Mantle
5th layer: Inner Mantle
6th layer: Outer Core
7th layer: Inner Core
Quite convenient how you consider the lithosphere to consist of two layers, and also consider the asthenosphere to be separate, even though it is part of the upper mantle, and the uppermost mantle can even be considered to be part of the lithosphere. Adjusting your observations or sources to whatever point you are trying to prove is not science.
AMA: https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=68045.0

Just because you don't understand something, doesn't mean it's not real.

?

Arealhumanbeing

• Leader of the Second American Revolution
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2017, 12:10:05 PM »

Clean up, aisle 666!

"veterinary science"

You dont know what an agnostic is.