Another mass shooting...

• 2582 Replies

NAZA

Re: Another mass shooting...
« Reply #90 on: November 07, 2017, 10:57:59 AM »
Noooo, maybe you should read the article again.
Ain't nobody got time for that. If you have read it, just quote to important part.

I did. Twice

NAZA

« Reply #91 on: November 07, 2017, 11:01:19 AM »

Again, perhaps we should  try enforcing laws designed to stop people who by due process have had their right restricted.

In this particular case lying should not have worked because his crimes were not reported as the law requires.

But, a good question to ask is if this nut actually knew someone who did time for lying on the form would he have even tried?

It doesn't matter what the penalty is if they know it's not enforced.
Kind of like going a few mph faster than the speed limit. You know it's against the law but you do it because you also know the police don't bother.

Well yes.  But therein lies the rub.  The issue is so politicized that if you're a Republican then you must deflect at all costs or you'll get lynched by the NRA.
You do know that the NRA supports background checks and has called for more prosecution of those who are denied right?

NAZA

« Reply #92 on: November 07, 2017, 11:08:16 AM »
But, a good question to ask is if this nut actually knew someone who did time for lying on the form would he have even tried?

Probably. I think he bought it less than a month ago, I'm pretty sure he bought it specifically to kill them. He didn't care enough about the "don't mass murder people" law, what makes you think he'd care for the "don't lie for a gun permit" law? The point is to have a system where lying wouldn't have worked and completely prevent this altogether instead of just applying a penalty to it.

We have that system now, he should have been  refused even if he had lied under penalty of death.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 11:12:09 AM by NAZA »

Pezevenk

• Militant aporfyrodrakonist
« Reply #93 on: November 07, 2017, 11:18:38 AM »

Probably. I think he bought it less than a month ago, I'm pretty sure he bought it specifically to kill them. He didn't care enough about the "don't mass murder people" law, what makes you think he'd care for the "don't lie for a gun permit" law? The point is to have a system where lying wouldn't have worked and completely prevent this altogether instead of just applying a penalty to it.

We have that system now, he should have been  refused even if he had lied under penalty of death.

That's way too heavy handed. But why did it not work in this case exactly?
Member of the BOTD for Anti Fascism and Racism

It is not a scientific fact, it is a scientific fuck!
-Intikam

Read a bit psicology and stick your imo to where it comes from
-Intikam (again)

NAZA

« Reply #94 on: November 07, 2017, 11:45:20 AM »

That's way too heavy handed. But why did it not work in this case exactly?

That will be an interesting  investigation.
It seems that the US government didn't tell the US government something the US government is required to do by the US government.
 :)

The military didn't report him to the atf as required.

Pezevenk

« Reply #95 on: November 07, 2017, 11:53:43 AM »
It seems that the US government didn't tell the US government something the US government is required to do by the US government.

Oh this is just great. Way to go.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #96 on: November 07, 2017, 11:55:08 AM »

It was the Air Force that screwed up by not entering his conviction into the national database like they were supposed to.  If they had, then the background check that was performed would have flagged him and he wouldn't have been able to buy the guns.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Pezevenk

« Reply #97 on: November 07, 2017, 11:58:20 AM »

It was the Air Force that screwed up by not entering his conviction into the national database like they were supposed to.  If they had, then the background check that was performed would have flagged him and he wouldn't have been able to buy the guns.

Well after this I hope they start taking things more seriously.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #98 on: November 07, 2017, 12:02:40 PM »

Again, perhaps we should  try enforcing laws designed to stop people who by due process have had their right restricted.

In this particular case lying should not have worked because his crimes were not reported as the law requires.

Kind of like going a few mph faster than the speed limit. You know it's against the law but you do it because you also know the police don't bother.

Well yes.  But therein lies the rub.  The issue is so politicized that if you're a Republican then you must deflect at all costs or you'll get lynched by the NRA.
You do know that the NRA supports background checks and has called for more prosecution of those who are denied right?

I was not aware of that.  Maybe someone should inform Trump of that.  He seems to think more guns are the answer.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

NAZA

« Reply #99 on: November 07, 2017, 12:06:55 PM »

Oh this is just great. Way to go.

Why me?   ;)

There may be some middle men, but basically that's the reason.

I wouldn't be surprised if more examples turn up that should have been reported by other agencies.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #100 on: November 07, 2017, 12:55:56 PM »

I was not aware of that.  Maybe someone should inform Trump of that.  He seems to think more guns are the answer.
Actually, it's more like the NRA membership supports common sense gun regulations and background checks.  It's the NRA leadership that's opposed to any sort of gun regulation.
https://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2012/12/17/is-the-gun-lobby-invincible/nra-members-vs-nra-leaders
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 12:58:36 PM by markjo »

NAZA

« Reply #101 on: November 07, 2017, 01:12:31 PM »

Example?

One more gun seems to have been the answer in this case no?

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #102 on: November 07, 2017, 01:13:13 PM »

Example?

One more gun seems to have been the answer in this case no?

Or one less.

NAZA

« Reply #103 on: November 07, 2017, 01:24:04 PM »
And what law would you suggest that would have made it one less?

Example where Trump seems to think more guns are the answer?

Pezevenk

« Reply #104 on: November 07, 2017, 01:30:07 PM »

One that entirely bans this class of guns?

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #105 on: November 07, 2017, 01:31:30 PM »

NAZA

« Reply #106 on: November 07, 2017, 04:13:30 PM »

One that entirely bans this class of guns?

And make millions of law abiding citizens criminals overnight and deny them their right to bear arms.

And when some nut uses a bolt action rifle to murder kneeling ducks in a church?  Ban them too?
You don't have to answer that it's pretty clear.

Example where Trump seems to think more guns are the answer?

http://www.latimes.com/politics/washington/la-na-pol-essential-washington-updates-trump-hundreds-more-may-have-died-in-1510051281-htmlstory.html

So trump being happy that there was an armed citizen across the street means he thinks more guns are the answer?
TDS rears its ugly head.

http://lawcenter.giffords.org/domestic-violence-and-firearms-in-texas/

The law already exists.  They've just done a shit job at enforcing it.

I rest my case.

Luke 22:35-38

• The earth is a globe, DUH! prove its not
« Reply #107 on: November 07, 2017, 04:18:46 PM »
Ban rocks and sticks too. They can do a lot of damage or even kill.

Ban assault trucks, high capacity gas tanks and fully automatic transmissions!!

Common sense assault truck laws now!!!!
Trucks have many uses other than killing people.  What uses do assault rifles have other than killing people?

Actually it wasn't an assault rifle for one. Secondly, true assualt rifles were designed to sustain youself against an attack. Thirdly, the same type of rifle that was used in the shooting was used against the shooter himself.
The Bible doesn't support a flat earth.

Scripture, facts, science, stats, and logic is how I argue.

Luke 22:35-38

• The earth is a globe, DUH! prove its not
« Reply #108 on: November 07, 2017, 04:21:03 PM »
Once he fills out the form, they run it through NCIS. Any information that doesn't line up to his answers can delay or outright deny him. Depending on what he answered, he could be charged with perjury.

OOOH, THAT WILL PUT HIM IN HIS PLACE NOW!

The Air Force failed in adding the criminal conduct to his background. So it's not a matter of more gun laws but rather the lack of enfircement of current laws.
The Bible doesn't support a flat earth.

Scripture, facts, science, stats, and logic is how I argue.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #109 on: November 07, 2017, 04:45:41 PM »
In this case, the law already exists (domestic abuse conviction).  It was just a matter of the conviction not being properly reported to the appropriate database.  Again, the conviction should have shown up in the background check and stopped the sale.

NAZA

« Reply #110 on: November 07, 2017, 05:07:53 PM »
In this case, the law already exists (domestic abuse conviction).  It was just a matter of the conviction not being properly reported to the appropriate database.  Again, the conviction should have shown up in the background check and stopped the sale.
My point exactly.
I think DNO may have been under the impression that background checks simply rely on the questions asked.

They don't and heads should roll for the failure to have this nut in the database.
He was breaking the law for simply entering a place he knew had guns if I'm not mistaken. I don't think he was supposed to be around guns much less own one.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #111 on: November 07, 2017, 06:22:47 PM »
They don't and heads should roll for the failure to have this nut in the database.

Oh, they know and they're already working on it although the MSM will likely move on long before they formally announce the results.
What did the Air Force say about this?

“This was mishandled by the Air Force Office of Special Investigations at Holloman Air Force Base in New Mexico, where Kelley was serving when he was arrested,” Bowman reported.

“An investigation is now underway, and the Air Force is taking it very seriously, said the source.”

disputeone

• Or should I?
« Reply #112 on: November 07, 2017, 08:15:56 PM »
Too many internet conspiracy nutters.

Quote from: Stash
I'm anti-judaism.

Quote from: Space Cowgirl
Whose narrative is it to not believe the government?

Quote from: Wolvaccine
speech should be a privilege. Not a right.

disputeone

• Or should I?
« Reply #113 on: November 07, 2017, 08:17:09 PM »
I'd love someone to talk about the percentage of these shooters on SSRIs.

It's nearly like big pharma is run for profit and not for the health of the people.

Wait....
I'm anti-judaism.

Symptom

• Bash The Fash
« Reply #114 on: November 07, 2017, 08:18:26 PM »
Such a clever boy.
Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism

disputeone

• Or should I?
« Reply #115 on: November 07, 2017, 08:26:06 PM »
Do you think it's a problem? Or are you just here to derail discussion about Big Pharma and Big oil?
There's a clear link between anti-depressants and mass shootings.

I think we should reevaluate the treatment of mental health conditions. SSRIs should be an absolute last resort when family community exercise good food and love don't work.

Typo.
Phoneposting.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 08:30:03 PM by disputeone »
I'm anti-judaism.

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #116 on: November 07, 2017, 08:30:37 PM »
Do you think it's a problem? Or are you just here to derail discussion about Big Pharma and Big oil?

I think we should reevaluate the treatment of mental health conditions. SSRIs should be an absolute last resort when family community exercise good food and love don't work.

Typo.

Your second statement I agree with. Your first not so much.

Symptom

• Bash The Fash
« Reply #117 on: November 07, 2017, 08:33:11 PM »
In d1's world, everything is either black or white. There are no grey areas. Because that would be confusing as fuck.
Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #118 on: November 07, 2017, 08:40:42 PM »
Citation from a credible source please.

disputeone

• Or should I?
« Reply #119 on: November 07, 2017, 08:44:45 PM »
Citation from one of the media outlets owned by the federal reserve please.

You win again.
The TV is the true measure of the truth. I'll chase up some statistical data later

Busy now.
I'm anti-judaism.