Hax

• 43 Replies

Northrider5

• Winter Scourge
Hax
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2006, 01:01:33 AM »
dA as in Deviant Artist? I'm one ( sort of)!:D
Or did you mean Devil's Advocate?
Desu has to do with an anime called Rozen Maiden, the most popular character among fans is a doll that always says 'desu' at the end of every sentence, I think it means 'it is' or something, not sure...... Consequently, the char herself is normally referred to as Desu. She's very popular at 4chan, which all those users are likely to be member of, or have at least been there, or something......
Courtesy of your friendly neighbourhood Muslim.

Hax
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2006, 03:27:34 AM »
Yeah, i knew it stemmed from 4chan and Something Awful.

Thanks alot for clearing that up North.
img]http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/6279/36cfgp4.jpg[/img]

Northrider5

• Winter Scourge
Hax
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2006, 05:02:19 AM »
No prob.
Courtesy of your friendly neighbourhood Muslim.

?

mjk

Hax
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2006, 12:07:52 AM »
ah, desu, as in japanese?  i REALLY should know what that meant as i did japanese for four years but i cant remember for the life of me what it means.  suffice to say i know that many simple japanese sentences finish with it.
quote="diegodraw"]you never mentioned anything about antagonizing naive idiots who have reason to believe they should defend what everyone already knows is logical....Not like anybody would ever have fun doing that, of course[/quote]

?

mjk

Hax
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2006, 12:25:48 AM »
SUCCESS!!!!!!

browsed my grade 10 Jap book and found:

DESU means "is" or "am"

(i've spaced the below as i *thinkg* its meant to be spoken, it isnt written correctly)
ONOHIZE HA OIISHIII DESU. - this pizza is delicious.

so the character probably says lots of meaningless sentences.  whats the show actually about?
quote="diegodraw"]you never mentioned anything about antagonizing naive idiots who have reason to believe they should defend what everyone already knows is logical....Not like anybody would ever have fun doing that, of course[/quote]

Dioptimus Drime

• Meep.
Hax
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2006, 12:33:26 AM »
I'll admit that occaisionally when I'm walking in or out of our local Target (department store), I wave my hand in front of the door...It makes me feel like a Jedi when I do it. I've gotten pretty good at it. It's quite comedic. Whenever I do it, at first the people behind the doors look at me in awe, with that "what just happened" look, but then within seconds, they realize that the door is an automatic door, and then just look at me with that, "how geeky do you have to be..." look. :(

Anyways...In conclusion: Jedis, ftw.

~D-Draw

Hax
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2006, 09:40:56 PM »
SUCCESS!!!!!!

DESU means "is" or "am"

not

Quote from: "source"
If you think 'desu' = is, congratulations, you are about to defeat your first big myth about Japanese.

Let me make this clear: DESU DOES NOT MEAN IS!

Not today, not tomorrow, not ever. Desu is a word that has no equivilant in English. In short, it makes what you are saying more polite. This is exactly, word for word, what a Japanese friend told me.

source: http://ezinearticles.com/?Japanese-Verb-Myths:-Part-1&id=121373
quote="DiegoDraw"]"And Moses said unto his brethren: 'The Earth is flat!...biznatches,'" [/quote]
DOT INFO

Hax
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2006, 08:54:39 PM »
Quote from: "lil_olek2"
y r u spamin mi therd

Once again, you're posting unreadable BS.
 believe the Earth is round.
That doesn't mean the Earth is round.

"If you're going to yell at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" --Homer Simpson

Hax
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2006, 09:03:01 PM »
y r u stakn mi

?

mjk

Hax
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2006, 03:32:57 AM »
Quote from: "The_Earth_Does_Not_Exist"
SUCCESS!!!!!!

DESU means "is" or "am"

not

Quote from: "source"
If you think 'desu' = is, congratulations, you are about to defeat your first big myth about Japanese.

Let me make this clear: DESU DOES NOT MEAN IS!

Not today, not tomorrow, not ever. Desu is a word that has no equivilant in English. In short, it makes what you are saying more polite. This is exactly, word for word, what a Japanese friend told me.

source: http://ezinearticles.com/?Japanese-Verb-Myths:-Part-1&id=121373

i was told that by my Japanese teacher who had spent about 5 years teaching in Japan. perhaps at a more specific level it may not mean "is" but for general introductory uses it helps a lot.  :D

beast

Hax
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2006, 06:16:00 AM »
Yeah clearly it's not necessary to be so damn pedantic.  I'm half Japanese (my Dad is Japanese) - half my family is Japanese.  I've been to Japan and I've studied Japanese at school and I think if somebody asked me what "desu" meant I would say something similar to "is" or "am".  I have a little trouble understanding romaji sometimes - "desu" is almost always pronounced "des" in spoken Japanese unless you're being really formal and when I read the characters I also usually drop the u.

It should be said that despite my connection to Japan - I'm really not very good at speaking the langauge or have been very involved with the culture.

?

mjk

Hax
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2006, 12:29:58 AM »
i know an australian whos about 95% literate in japanese.   when he gets drunk he forgets how to speak english  :lol:

Hax
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2006, 03:27:36 PM »
im guna hax ervybode  :twisted:

?

mjk

Hax
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2006, 11:37:33 PM »
hax propah.