Virgin Galactic Milesone

• 50 Replies

Johannes

• Flat Earth Editor
Re: Virgin Galactic Milesone
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2010, 11:51:55 AM »
Virgin Galactic doesn't provide any evidence for a round earth.
Perhaps not, but a flight to an altitude of 100km or more might.
You will not be able to tell the earth is round from that altitude. (if it was round, which it isn't)

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2010, 12:07:17 PM »
Uh... everyone doing something doesn't make it cheaper, it makes it more expensive. Have you ever actually studied economics?

Have you?  It's called expanding your customer base.  At $20-30 million a pop, space tourism is prohibitively expensive to all but a very small group of people.  At $200K a pop, traveling to outer space becomes affordable to a much larger audience.  As the technology matures and the infrastructure grows, the prices will come down even more. 

If you'd rather just go really really high for a short period of time, take a round trip to the nearest airport and save yourself some money.

Oh?  Which flights go to an altitude of 100km?
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2010, 12:21:36 PM »
The second one will go 110km up

Johannes

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2010, 12:38:03 PM »
Uh... everyone doing something doesn't make it cheaper, it makes it more expensive. Have you ever actually studied economics?

Have you?  It's called expanding your customer base.  At $20-30 million a pop, space tourism is prohibitively expensive to all but a very small group of people.  At $200K a pop, traveling to outer space becomes affordable to a much larger audience.  As the technology matures and the infrastructure grows, the prices will come down even more. 

If you'd rather just go really really high for a short period of time, take a round trip to the nearest airport and save yourself some money.

Oh?  Which flights go to an altitude of 100km?
Increasing demand raises prices.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2010, 12:45:14 PM »
Increasing demand raises prices.
Lowering prices increases demand.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2010, 06:05:47 PM »
Because barely anyone has had the chance to see the entire venue of human history at once. Philosophically it'd be very pleasing and worth it to me. And I'm not talking about flying really high in a plane, I actually meant orbiting a few times.

Lol, you mean stare at the earth from very far away? For 200k you could travel the world actually seeing where human history was made and enjoy the locations.

It's like paying extra to have a video game really zoomed out so you could see the whole thing at once. If that is philosophically pleasing to you, then you really need to expand yourself.

What may not be worth it to you, may be worth it to others. Playing the personal perspective as if it magically applies to everyone is a bit of self delusional generalization. Hence, you are only speaking from a position of opinion, or a position of non-interest. I would gladly pay 200k. And you do realize that in terms of economics, once everyone is doing it, it gets cheaper! Eventually this will become common place and an irrelevant conversation. It's basically a huge untapped market, and private companies know this.

Perhaps sometime in the far off future there will be Orbital Cruise ships that take you out to the moon and back :)

I wanna buy an apartment in NYC. there are hundreds of thousands of them, so ergo they are extremely expensive, therefore i should go buy a huge estate in California in order to get the cheapest deal right? Have YOU ever actually studied economics?

That's talking about supply, not how many people are buying them ie demand.

Everyone tries to buy superbowl tickets so they are very expensive, Cleveland browns tickets have very few buyers so they are relatively inexpensive.

Please don't confuse supply with demand, it is irritating and makes you look not too intelligent. When you say "lots of people are buying them" what you actually meant is "there are lots of them."

Think about your example this way, if there were only 2 people that wanted to live in those thousands of apartments in new york, they would be much less expensive than if everyone was buying them.

AdmiralAckbar

• Its a trap!
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2010, 08:42:24 PM »
Because barely anyone has had the chance to see the entire venue of human history at once. Philosophically it'd be very pleasing and worth it to me. And I'm not talking about flying really high in a plane, I actually meant orbiting a few times.

Lol, you mean stare at the earth from very far away? For 200k you could travel the world actually seeing where human history was made and enjoy the locations.

It's like paying extra to have a video game really zoomed out so you could see the whole thing at once. If that is philosophically pleasing to you, then you really need to expand yourself.

What may not be worth it to you, may be worth it to others. Playing the personal perspective as if it magically applies to everyone is a bit of self delusional generalization. Hence, you are only speaking from a position of opinion, or a position of non-interest. I would gladly pay 200k. And you do realize that in terms of economics, once everyone is doing it, it gets cheaper! Eventually this will become common place and an irrelevant conversation. It's basically a huge untapped market, and private companies know this.

Perhaps sometime in the far off future there will be Orbital Cruise ships that take you out to the moon and back :)

I wanna buy an apartment in NYC. there are hundreds of thousands of them, so ergo they are extremely expensive, therefore i should go buy a huge estate in California in order to get the cheapest deal right? Have YOU ever actually studied economics?

Everyone tries to buy superbowl tickets so they are very expensive, Cleveland browns tickets have very few buyers so they are relatively inexpensive.

Please don't confuse supply with demand, it is irritating and makes you look not too intelligent. When you say "lots of people are buying them" what you actually meant is "there are lots of them."

Think about your example this way, if there were only 2 people that wanted to live in those thousands of apartments in new york, they would be much less expensive than if everyone was buying them.

That was the point of my original logic. Space travel at the moment will only have 1 supplier, such as the Super bowl ergo very expensive. There's only one super bowl. Now to use the cruise example, if only one cruise went out every year to the sea, it would be hella expensive, but there are hundreds of cruises, which will be the same for space travel in the nearish future.

Which i think was the point of him saying private companies know its a huge untapped market.

« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2010, 09:02:36 PM »
What strikes me particularly about the Virgin Galactic project (besides the Satanic symbology), is that it seems to demonstrate a really inconsistent attitude towards the canon of the Space Mythos. Why would globularists get excited about a space plane which just claims to be able to leave the atmolayer for a couple of minutes, when the Space Barons already claim to have flown to the [giant, absurdly distant] Moon 40 years ago? It's completely incongruent in significance within the mythology - the fact that they do in fact get very excited about it shows just how forgetful and gullible the globularist public actually are!

This right here is a prefect example of this FE system being of religious fanaticism. This has theist written all over it. ;) Clearly this FET thing is essentially a religious faith based construct lol.. This is comment is what you can equate to Christian Realism. ;)
FE T-shirts = Profit = conspiracy = ideological cult in the making = teaching stupid = paranoia = nut case. Any questions?

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2010, 09:08:53 PM »

That was the point of my original logic. Space travel at the moment will only have 1 supplier, such as the Super bowl ergo very expensive. There's only one super bowl. Now to use the cruise example, if only one cruise went out every year to the sea, it would be hella expensive, but there are hundreds of cruises, which will be the same for space travel in the nearish future.

Which i think was the point of him saying private companies know its a huge untapped market.

a) you said "the more people that do something, the cheaper it gets"

b) the price of space travel is mainly the fuel and such that it takes getting up there. It is very very expensive to take something into space. The price of going into space will never fall below the cost of going into space.

c) until new tech comes out it doesn't matter how many people are going into space or how many companies are taking them there, it will be very expensive and just as pointless.

AdmiralAckbar

• Its a trap!
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2010, 09:49:48 PM »

b) the price of space travel is mainly the fuel and such that it takes getting up there. It is very very expensive to take something into space. The price of going into space will never fall below the cost of going into space.

c) until new tech comes out it doesn't matter how many people are going into space or how many companies are taking them there, it will be very expensive and just as pointless.

I didnt say that, Jackel did, shows how smart you are there doesnt it :).

B) Proof? I would actually say the price of space travel to just rip off the hype of the idea and rich peoples pockets.

C) No doubt it will still be pretty expensive, and the second part is full of opinion. The Earth is nice, but space is a whole new "world" to explore. I would love to look back at Earth from a different perspective. Watching the sun rise and set and the moon hang in the sky amazes me. Everyone can go around the world, discover whatever history or culture you could have gotten a taste of in a book, congratulations. But to go into space is an area that hold surprise and wonder, similar to the bottom of the ocean.

I would much rather go to the moon and sit upon its surface just gazing at the Earth then to go to Italy take a ride on a gondola and take some idiotic souvenir back with me. A rock from the moon would have so much more meaning.

I would find it pointless to travel a world that everyone knows about, I'd rather go somewhere that still holds some secrets.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2010, 10:02:04 PM »

B) Proof? I would actually say the price of space travel to just rip off the hype of the idea and rich peoples pockets.

C) No doubt it will still be pretty expensive, and the second part is full of opinion. The Earth is nice, but space is a whole new "world" to explore. I would love to look back at Earth from a different perspective. Watching the sun rise and set and the moon hang in the sky amazes me. Everyone can go around the world, discover whatever history or culture you could have gotten a taste of in a book, congratulations. But to go into space is an area that hold surprise and wonder, similar to the bottom of the ocean.

I would much rather go to the moon and sit upon its surface just gazing at the Earth then to go to Italy take a ride on a gondola and take some idiotic souvenir back with me. A rock from the moon would have so much more meaning.

I would find it pointless to travel a world that everyone knows about, I'd rather go somewhere that still holds some secrets.

http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=10631&page=247

20,000 dollars per pound using a space shuttle.

10,000 dollars a lb on reusable space shuttles.

1,000 dollars per pound is a goal that we hope to eventually achieve. Then you have to factor in the cost of the shuttle, paying for wear and tear, paying for the crew, paying for ground support.

The price is mainly because of cost, not so much demand.

AdmiralAckbar

• Its a trap!
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2010, 10:29:48 PM »

1,000 dollars per pound is a goal that we hope to eventually achieve. Then you have to factor in the cost of the shuttle, paying for wear and tear, paying for the crew, paying for ground support.

How credible is this information? I still like the outrages assumptions your making :).

How smart did the Jackel comment make you feel by the way? You usually ignore it when i prove you wrong.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2010, 10:38:19 PM »

How credible is this information? I still like the outrages assumptions your making :).

How smart did the Jackel comment make you feel by the way? You usually ignore it when i prove you wrong.

Sigh, at most you've proven that I don't care who you are. You are the millionth faceless noob that I've run into in my years here and you think that I actually give you an identity in my mind past that of the last post I read.

So how worthless do you feel when I don't even take the time to notice your entrance to a conversation?

What outrageous assumptions am I making? I showed the figures provided by someone else. Spaceflight is expensive. That is not an assumption, it is the reason poor countries aren't going to space.

I"m sorry that your general knowledge is so low that common knowledge comes off as an assumption to you.

AdmiralAckbar

• Its a trap!
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2010, 10:47:15 PM »

Sigh, at most you've proven that I don't care who you are. You are the millionth faceless noob that I've run into in my years here and you think that I actually give you an identity in my mind past that of the last post I read.

So how worthless do you feel when I don't even take the time to notice your entrance to a conversation?

What outrageous assumptions am I making? I showed the figures provided by someone else. Spaceflight is expensive. That is not an assumption, it is the reason poor countries aren't going to space.

I"m sorry that your general knowledge is so low that common knowledge comes off as an assumption to you.

Well if your common knowledge couldn't make the distinction between two different people talking i don't really see it as deserving much credit. I got the numbers from my little sister, she says it would cost about 50 thousand dollars, can you dispute her numbers any more then i can dispute yours? Oh my god someone who went to college gave you some number, congratulations, suddenly because a smart person said a number its fact.

Im not saying its not expensive and im not saying poor countries would go to space, this is currently discussing WHY its expensive not the fact that its expensive or not.

And oh my god you've been coming to a forum for years, congratulations, do you really think that makes me care at all?
How worthless do you feel being here for so long and still deserving of the same respect as someone who just joins the forum? Just goes to show all the time you spend here has some purpose other than making yourself look stupid.

In an attempt to no longer derail the thread into a petty arguement, please stay on topic or ignore our topic of discussion completely and allow someone else to discuss privatized space flight.

« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2010, 10:51:07 PM »

Raist, you really need to study economics more before commenting on the subject.

Let's first examine the classic example: the automobile. Prices dropped as more people bought. The concept, economy of scale, creates lower prices with increased. The K-L curve changes such that capital investment creates increased automation, reduced labor costs, and lower prices.

To argue that variable costs cannot be reduced is without merit. Fuel costs, for example, might go down as larger refineries come online.

Even if your opinion is that such a flight is "pointless", your opinion is not shared by enough customers to make this venture, before long, a demonstration of the falsehood of FET.
Keep it serious, Thork. You can troll, but don't be so open. We have standards

Johannes

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2010, 11:14:37 PM »

Raist, you really need to study economics more before commenting on the subject.

Let's first examine the classic example: the automobile. Prices dropped as more people bought. The concept, economy of scale, creates lower prices with increased. The K-L curve changes such that capital investment creates increased automation, reduced labor costs, and lower prices.

To argue that variable costs cannot be reduced is without merit. Fuel costs, for example, might go down as larger refineries come online.

Even if your opinion is that such a flight is "pointless", your opinion is not shared by enough customers to make this venture, before long, a demonstration of the falsehood of FET.
Comparing a single-spacecraft space taxi operation to an industrial economy of scale is laughable.

« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2010, 11:17:29 PM »

Comparing a single-spacecraft space taxi operation to an industrial economy of scale is laughable.
So said the critics of Henry Ford...  ::)

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2010, 10:19:15 AM »

That would make sense if we were talking about buying a spaceshuttle.
Taxi prices would be a better example for this.

Are you retarded?

Can I ask you how fuel costs will go down when it is a limited resource that we are running out of and has gone up in price steadily for decades?

But you are sort of right, as we industrialize the production of them making them will get cheaper.

If you're idea was right then the price of gasoline should be going down as the united states constantly increases its use of it..... oh wait....

« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2010, 04:23:00 PM »

Are you retarded?

Can I ask you how fuel costs will go down when it is a limited resource that we are running out of and has gone up in price steadily for decades?

But you are sort of right, as we industrialize the production of them making them will get cheaper.

If you're idea was right then the price of gasoline should be going down as the united states constantly increases its use of it..... oh wait....
Yep, the price of gasoline did go down with the industrialization of the processes involved. Good point.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2010, 11:15:34 AM »

Are you retarded?

Yep, the price of gasoline did go down with the industrialization of the processes involved. Good point.

Ah, it's good to know that we haven't industrialized the production of rubber or nitrious oxide, you know, the gas used in race cars, dentistry, etc etc, and the compound used in all tires in the united states.

We are leaps and bounds from industrializing those items.  ::)

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2010, 01:59:33 PM »
*sigh*  At this stage of the game, the fuel cost for the Virgin Galactic fleet is trivial.  The biggest expenses are in infrastructure and vehicle development and construction.