Anyone have an extra 100M Pounds?

• 192 Replies

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
Re: Anyone have an extra 100M Pounds?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 09:22:05 AM »
Companies have been selling reserve tickets to go to the moon for the last 50 years.

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 09:23:07 AM »
This time it's for real.
“The Earth looks flat, therefore it is” FEers wisdom.

?

Mizuki

• Earth is NOT a Globe
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 09:29:54 AM »
The FES should start raising funds to send a selected member on this trip.

If enough money is raised, we could send two people  ;)

Mizuki x
"Earth is a maximal sphere in a cyclical space and its surface therefore a total plane, the equator plane of the Cosmos. The (total) plane, as well as the straight line and space as a whole, is flat, without curvature yet closed, running back on itself."

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 09:31:55 AM »
I am willing to man-whore myself to women to help raise the cash.

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 09:32:38 AM »
Count me in for one buck.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 09:35:27 AM »
This time it's for real.

No it isn't.

In the 70's there used to be similar articles in pop science and investment magazines offering to sell wealthy investors a seat for a future trip. It's an investment scam. After a certain point the company will declare bankrupcy, the money will disappear, they'll start a new company, and the process will start all over.

Good luck trying to take legal action against a company located on the Isle of Man...
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 09:38:36 AM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 09:40:12 AM »
I have begun to sell moonblock lotion and will donate 10% of the proceeds to the endeavor.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 09:42:59 AM »
This time it's for real.

No it isn't.

Can I still man-whore for money for something, though?

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 09:43:08 AM »
This time it's for real.

No it isn't.

In the 70's there used to be similar articles in pop science and investment magazines offering to sell wealthy investors a seat for a future trip. It's an investment scam. After a certain point the company will declare bankrupcy, the money will disappear, they'll start a new company, and the process will start all over.

Good luck trying to take legal action against a company located on the Isle of Man...

No proofs, wild asumptions.

As usual.

?

Thork

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 10:09:00 AM »
Tom Bishop is correct as usual.

We have been on the verge of civilian space travel since 1969.

Howard Hughes beat Branson to the punch on this bit of marketing by 40 years.

And then there is of course Mr Branson. How is he doing having been selling tickets for years?

In 2004 it was reported
Quote from: http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2004/10/05/188310/rutan-and-virgin-plan-tourist-trips.html
Meanwhile, Virgin Atlantic Airways founder Sir Richard Branson launched Virgin Galactic at the Royal Aeronautical Society in London on 27 September, promising the first commercial suborbital space flights early in 2007.

But by 2005 it was reported
Quote from: http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2005/11/15/202884/ss2-faces-major-design-decisions.html
Virgin Galactic still has major design decisions to make for the SpaceShipTwo (SS2) suborbital craft, which is planned to enter service in 2008 carrying seven tourists and two pilots.

By 2009 and still no tourists they reported
Quote from: http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/hyperbola/2009/03/virgin-galactic-slips-to-2011.html
2010 becomes less and less likely as a date. So how long till 2010 becomes 2011 officially?

And then in 2011
Quote from: http://www.cnngo.com/explorations/play/footage-released-spaceshiptwos-first-feathered-flight-143581
No date has been set for the first commercial flight, although news.com.au reported that the company hopes to start taking tourists into space in 2012.

Its 2012. Now we don't even get an excuse. :(

Emperor's new clothes? It should be noted that the company has taken more than $70 million, of refundable deposits in that time. That's one hell of an interest free loan and at least 8 years of premier marketing for Virgin Atlantic. That's what space tourism is about. Selling impossible dreams to rich suckers.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 10:12:33 AM by Thork »

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 10:22:04 AM »

First of all, this isn't the '70s.  Secondly, none of the previous companies have built and flown a space ship.  Scaled Composites has.  None of the previous companies have built and publicly shown (let alone test flown) the spaceship(s) in question.  Virgin Galactic has.  If it's a scam, then I think that they're doing it wrong.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

?

Thork

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 10:29:38 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_tourism

7 vastly wealthy and powerful people in on it. The types that like to be able to tell people, of the time they went into space, at a dinner party? GTFO. Until people start going up in their hundreds, this is too easily a rich boys joke on the rest of the world. Wink, wink. We went into space. Look what our fabulous wealth bought us. etc etc :(

Do you have any actual proof? Apart from the tall tales of 7 very rich and powerful men?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 10:33:14 AM by Thork »

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 10:30:26 AM »

First of all, this isn't the '70s.  Secondly, none of the previous companies have built and flown a space ship.  Scaled Composites has.  None of the previous companies have built and publicly shown (let alone test flown) the spaceship(s) in question.  Virgin Galactic has.  If it's a scam, then I think that they're doing it wrong.

I am sorry, I may be taking it wrong.  But, it seems like you are trying to justify the lies of the past with a promise for tomorrow.

?

Thork

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 10:40:02 AM »
Even McDonalds have tried to use moon trips to sell burgers.

http://weeklyworldnews.com/headlines/29287/mcdonalds-opens-on-the-moon/
2015. If there is a McDonalds on the moon in 2015 (bearing in mind we still don't have any space tourists and they haven't actually started building it yet), then I will eat one of their disgusting happy meals.

Space tourism is all about marketing. That's all its ever been. Its not a reality.

Not to be outdone, Dominos pizza are also opening an outlet on the moon. Its all crap. Look through the lies. they just want to sell you something. Airline tickets, pizza, burgers, what ever.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/8734456/Dominos-plans-pizza-on-the-Moon.html

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2012, 10:41:44 AM »
I am sorry, I may be taking it wrong.  But, it seems like you are trying to justify the lies of the past with a promise for tomorrow.

Not at all.  I'm saying that was then and this is now.  Scaled Composites (The Spaceship Company) and Virgin Galactic have made far more tangible progress in delivering on the promise of commercial space flight than any other company in history and I think that the nay sayers should focus on what is happening now rather than what didn't happen 30 years ago.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2012, 10:48:28 AM »
Whoa, Lord British is in on the conspiracy?  I never would have guessed.

Also, the Weekly World News publishes joke articles, Thork.

?

Thork

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2012, 10:49:53 AM »

And the telegraph? ::)

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2012, 10:52:02 AM »
It's amazing that RE'ers are so skeptical of John's book whenever it gets delayed, but are more than happy to believe in a decades-long project that has yet to deliver. Talk about double standards.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2012, 10:55:14 AM »

And the telegraph? ::)

The Telegraph is fine.  I'm just saying that the WWN article isn't real.

?

Thork

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2012, 10:56:15 AM »
Space tourism isn't real so the source is kind of irrelevant.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2012, 11:03:08 AM »
It's amazing that RE'ers are so skeptical of John's book whenever it gets delayed, but are more than happy to believe in a decades-long project that has yet to deliver. Talk about double standards.

Which "decades-long project" are you referring to?  To the best of my knowledge, the SS2 project has been ongoing for less than 10 years.  At least Virgin Galactic and Scaled Composites/The Spaceship Company have provided evidence that they are making progress on commercial space flight.  John has not provided any evidence that he is making any progress on his book.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2012, 11:06:18 AM »
Space tourism isn't real so the source is kind of irrelevant.

???

We're not talking about space tourism.  We're talking about companies attempting to use the idea of trips to the moon for marketing purposes, which is very real.  The McDonalds article, however, being a joke, is not a valid example of this.

Rushy

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2012, 11:09:31 AM »
We're not talking about space tourism.  We're talking about companies attempting to use the idea of trips to the moon for marketing purposes, which is very real.  The McDonalds article, however, being a joke, is not a valid example of this.

Space tourism is a joke, so I don't see how joking about it invalidates the purpose of exemplifying a company's use of space tourism as an advertising scheme.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2012, 12:04:07 PM »

Space tourism is a joke, so I don't see how joking about it invalidates the purpose of exemplifying a company's use of space tourism as an advertising scheme.

The company (McDonalds) did not use space tourism as an advertising scheme.  That's the point.  WWN made it up.

?

Thork

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2012, 12:20:49 PM »
McDonalds have always been keen to throw about moon base hoaxes.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2012, 04:43:43 PM »
Which "decades-long project" are you referring to?  To the best of my knowledge, the SS2 project has been ongoing for less than 10 years.  At least Virgin Galactic and Scaled Composites/The Spaceship Company have provided evidence that they are making progress on commercial space flight.  John has not provided any evidence that he is making any progress on his book.

The project to bring space tourism to the masses. Been going on for ages. Also, a quick Wiki reveals that SpaceShipOne has been in development since 1994. 18 years and counting.

And honestly markjo, at this point you've entered the realm of the absurd. "I won't believe that John is self-publishing until I see it! However, I will believe in space tourism, despite Branson & Co. missing deadline after deadline after deadline. I mean, which is more likely?!"

::)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 04:46:06 PM by Lord Wilmore »
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2012, 06:59:09 PM »

The project to bring space tourism to the masses. Been going on for ages.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize that it was a single project.

Also, a quick Wiki reveals that SpaceShipOne has been in development since 1994. 18 years and counting.

Umm...  Spaceship One flew in 2003, won the Ansari X Prize and was retired in 2004.  That's 10 years, not 18.

And honestly markjo, at this point you've entered the realm of the absurd. "I won't believe that John is self-publishing until I see it! However, I will believe in space tourism, despite Branson & Co. missing deadline after deadline after deadline. I mean, which is more likely?!"

I'm not talking about missing deadlines.  I'm talking about tangible progress.  Branson and Co. have publicly shown that they have made a great deal of tangible progress, including getting FAA approval to start powered test flights for SpaceShip Two (which has already made a number of unpowered test flights).  How much tangible progress has John publicly shown on his book?

BTW, I'm not criticizing John about his book.  I'm just not holding my breath.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 07:21:30 PM by markjo »

?

BoatswainsMate

• You just been Tom Bishop'ed
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2012, 09:37:06 PM »
From what I have read so far, the craft was unveiled in Dec, 2009 and has conducted 16 successful test glides back to Earth. further more, the company is currently taking bookings for seats and is planning on a 2013 launch.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpaceShipTwo

now this is just a wiki, so take it as you will.

http://www.space.com/14619-virgin-galactics-private-spaceshiptwo-test-flights-trials.html

shows a small add with included video of the test flights and how close they are getting. So, to me, this seems like the real deal or at least attempting to create the real deal commercial space flight. The future is a mystery so who knows.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 09:42:17 PM by BoatswainsMate »