• EXTRA SPICY MODE
Funny Globularist Things
« on: November 28, 2022, 05:38:11 AM »
Quote from: wise

FE'r: Can we go to the moon?

NASA: Of course, we used to be able to go, but we lost that technology.  ;D

The second one:

https://i.bb.co/vXCSmmF/1.png

We can think about it. How?  Our travel speed has halved in 53 years. How was technology advancing? This has regressed quite a bit. ;D

Because we dont need to dump a lot of money and resources we dont have to spare, for a few peoples joy ride to the moon. Just getting to the moon was simply to show up the Russians. The 'Space Race' was dominated by Russian victories in almost every metric you could measure. Only America decided that a moon landing was the finish line.

There has been no interest in getting people that far for decades. All the people involved in the construction of the Saturn V are dead or retired. It's not like you can just pull another Saturn V rocket out your arse and fly it.

The billions spent on it could be more effectively spent and utilised in other projects. (We could say the same thing about the $700? billion dollars they spend on 'defense' each year but I guess that's where their priority lies

NASA would probably rather spend the money sending several probes to the moons of the gas giants and Venus and Mars than piss it all away for a few guys to bounce on the moon and collect a few rocks

You also dont need to fly faster to be better. Modern day commercial airliners dont hold a candle to the capabilities of the retired Concorde jet.

Imagine if today an airline said it could fly people from New York to London in under 3 hours. Jaws would drop. Except, we already did that decades ago with the Concorde.

But the drawback was less fuel efficiency and a roaring loud continuous sonic boom for people living near the flight path. It was also insanely expensive. Better technology doesn't always mean better speed. If you can get to your destination at a fraction of the resource and financial cost, that's a win. hardly a regression

When the space shuttle was in operation, you could put 27,500 kilograms up there for $1.5 billion. Or to put another way, that's $54,500 per kilogram. These days we can do the same, getting stuff to the ISS for just over $2700 a kilo. I call that a win. The rocket that went to the moon had 1MB of RAM and that unit would have cost more (in todays money) than your smartphone with all its GB of ram and everything else. Win.

I'm sure if there was a compelling reason to go back to the moon, we could make it happen pretty quickly. Adversity breeds innovation. In the 60s, the yankees trying to 'one up' the reds was one such compelling reason. We simply dont have one these days. Too focused on nonsense projects like some border wall between America and Mexico or other pointless shit

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

Round and Proud

• Speculative fiction writer
Re: Funny Globularist Things
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2022, 03:05:14 PM »
The space program was not a dump of money. The spinoffs from the space program would fill several libraries in a large city.

Defense spending? The only thing more expensive is a 2nd rate military. Didn't earn anything from the time leading up to WWII?

Man should ALWAYS to extend his reach.
Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by legislation. Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime...

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
  • The Only Yang Scholar in The Ying Universe
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2022, 05:47:53 AM »
The space program was not a dump of money. The spinoffs from the space program would fill several libraries in a large city.

Defense spending? The only thing more expensive is a 2nd rate military. Didn't earn anything from the time leading up to WWII?

Space programs have only served to fund the activities of states such as producing black money, smuggling money out of the country, and supporting terrorist organizations. Oh sorry, it also feeds internet trolls.
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

Come on bro, just admit that the the earth isn't a sphere, you won't even be wrong

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2022, 06:01:15 AM »

Space programs have only served to fund the activities of states such as producing black money, smuggling money out of the country, and supporting terrorist organizations. Oh sorry, it also feeds internet trolls.

Quite the cavalcade of claims. Source?

Round and Proud

• Speculative fiction writer
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2022, 08:32:19 AM »

Well, you're the Troll so, you should know. For those of us that use our brain for more that holding our ears apart we know the space progam is a huge boon to our everyday lives, and we know why.
Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by legislation. Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime...

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2022, 08:40:58 AM »

Well, you're the Troll so, you should know. For those of us that use our brain for more that holding our ears apart we know the space progam is a huge boon to our everyday lives, and we know why.

The Space Race bore out a lot of innovation from humanity.

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/infographics/20-inventions-we-wouldnt-have-without-space-travel

So was the space program a waste of money? We wouldn't enjoy a lot of the tech and luxuries we have today if we never bothered with it

what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

Know your place

JackBlack

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2022, 12:34:55 PM »
I take it you don't believe in GPS or satellite TV or satellite internet, or the countless weather satellites used for observations and predicting the weather?
I guess you also don't believe in things like CMOS image sensors used in digital cameras.

Plenty has come from space programs that have helped or improved the lives of countless people.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2022, 01:18:11 PM »
NASA apparently generates about a billion dollars a year from its patents. Not a ton of money, but at least some.

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
  • The Only Yang Scholar in The Ying Universe
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2022, 08:41:37 PM »

No I am not but you are so. I doubt you even really have a brain, what's more likely is that you're just a bunch of useless computers with a demon inside.
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

Come on bro, just admit that the the earth isn't a sphere, you won't even be wrong

disputeone

• Or should I?
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2022, 01:00:13 AM »
Hey Crouton.

You know what would be a good idea?

Banning all the flat earthers from the flat earth society. Then we can discuss scienceTM without all this flat earth nonsense.
Quote from: Stash
I'm anti-judaism.

Quote from: Space Cowgirl
Whose narrative is it to not believe the government?

Quote from: Wolvaccine
speech should be a privilege. Not a right.

?

ecco

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2022, 09:20:55 AM »

No I am not but you are so. I doubt you even really have a brain, what's more likely is that you're just a bunch of useless computers with a demon inside.

Well, there ya go.  Wise believes in demons.  Demons that take over our brains and even demons that take over useless computers to scare Fundamentalist Creationists like Wise.  That makes them useful in my humble opinion.

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away

Buffalo Springfield

NotSoSkeptical

• Flat like a droplet of water.
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2022, 09:29:20 AM »

Well, there ya go.  Wise believes in demons.  Demons that take over our brains and even demons that take over useless computers to scare Fundamentalist Creationists like Wise.  That makes them useful in my humble opinion.

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away

Buffalo Springfield

Wise has called me Hitler and Satan.  So just saying you have demons, is pretty mild mannered for him.
Rabinoz RIP

That would put you in the same category as pedophile perverts like John Davis, NSS, robots like Stash, Shifter, and victimized kids like Alexey.

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2022, 03:15:33 PM »
Only America decided that a moon landing was the finish line.

I disagree.  The fact that the Soviets abandoned their manned lunar landing program after we got there first indicates to me that they agree it was the finish line.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2022, 06:34:25 PM »
Only America decided that a moon landing was the finish line.

I disagree.  The fact that the Soviets abandoned their manned lunar landing program after we got there first indicates to me that they agree it was the finish line.

They ran out of money

But in the quest for space, the soviets dominated every field that actually mattered when it came to being 'first'

Seems the yanks were the ones playing 'catch up'

Know your place

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2022, 07:56:03 PM »
Also the first space mission death...

Vladimir Mikhaylovich Komarov, (born March 16, 1927, Moscow, Russia, U.S.S.R. —died April 24, 1967, Kazakhstan), Soviet cosmonaut, the first man known to have died during a space mission.

JackBlack

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2023, 01:06:07 AM »

That is how a race typically works.
You can be coming first through every checkpoint, every lap and so on, until the final lap, just before the finish line you get passed, and the person who passed you, even if they were last through all the previous checkpoints and laps, still wins.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2023, 01:41:08 AM »

That is how a race typically works.
You can be coming first through every checkpoint, every lap and so on, until the final lap, just before the finish line you get passed, and the person who passed you, even if they were last through all the previous checkpoints and laps, still wins.

So if the Chinese decided the new finish line was a man on Mars and landed a dude on there they would 'win' the 'space race'?

There was never an agreed between all parties 'finish line of a man on the moon'

On every metric that is useful, the soviets got there first. Now as, much of a dick that nation turned out to be, credit where credit is due. And so should recognition. I bet a lot of yanks grow up never learning about the soviets achievements in the field of space.

Politics.

Know your place

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2023, 02:49:40 AM »
We Yanks definitely learned about some of the Soviet space efforts/achievements. Chiefly Sputnik, which was/is regarded as what kicked off the space race. And definitely learned about Yuri Gagarin. I'm not sure how it is now, but when I was a little kid learning about space stuff, Yuri was thought of as a hero because he was the first real astronaut. Because we were too young to get all bunched up in geopolitical stuff. It was just, "Super cool! Yuri, first guy in space! I want to be an astronaut too!!!!"

As for the US/Soviet "Space Race", we only won because we out spent them and when we landed on the Moon, the Soviets rightly decided to stick with LEO as that is what they could afford. If you trim the Space Race down to who could land a man on the moon first, yeah, the US "won" that. As far as the wider space race, if you tally up achievements, probably a draw.

All that said, the space race was more of a cold war thing than anything else. Each nation was always trying to undermine the other in an effort to show that Capitalism was king versus Communism and vice versa.

Same as saying that the US won the Cold War when the USSR collapsed. You could argue it was a win, but you could also argue that the USSR just went bankrupt and there was no real winner or loser.

JackBlack

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2023, 03:17:45 AM »
So if the Chinese decided the new finish line was a man on Mars and landed a dude on there they would 'win' the 'space race'?

There was never an agreed between all parties 'finish line of a man on the moon'

On every metric that is useful, the soviets got there first. Now as, much of a dick that nation turned out to be, credit where credit is due. And so should recognition. I bet a lot of yanks grow up never learning about the soviets achievements in the field of space.

Politics.
I would say that would be a new race, not the old one.
It isn't so much an agreed upon finish line, but the other party giving up.
A lot of yanks grow up never learning much of anything.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2023, 03:19:54 AM »

>:(

JackBlack

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2023, 03:22:23 AM »

>:(
Not all, and not an exclusively US problem.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2023, 06:07:56 AM »
In addition to the above, the soviets were also the first to land a space craft on the moon, Venus and Mars.... So I mean there is that too.

I think America realised they were floundering so set a really tall objective. As cool as a man on the moon is, the cost/benefit ratio isn't really there. The same money could probably get a few probes to the moons of Jupiter and Saturn and really learn some shit about worlds that are or could be candidates for life

So long as they don't fuck up the landings with the damned imperial system!

Know your place

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2023, 12:31:00 PM »
What really brought us on par with the Soviets was the Space Shuttle (Aside from 2 disasters.) Their shuttle efforts were scrapped, the US succeeded. Most likely in an effort to "command" LEO.

And at the end of the day, the core reasons behind space explorations and "contests" in general were/are:

A) Yeah, space exploration for a greater understanding, science, cool tech, human advancement...All the good stuff
B) As mentioned before, Capitalism versus Communism and vice versa..."We're better at this stuff because of our preferred societal/political constructs"
C) Rocket Tech=ICBM tech=Conquering/Owning Space=Owning the world

JackBlack

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2023, 12:56:13 PM »
In addition to the above, the soviets were also the first to land a space craft on the moon, Venus and Mars.... So I mean there is that too.

I think America realised they were floundering so set a really tall objective. As cool as a man on the moon is, the cost/benefit ratio isn't really there. The same money could probably get a few probes to the moons of Jupiter and Saturn and really learn some shit about worlds that are or could be candidates for life

So long as they don't fuck up the landings with the damned imperial system!
Yes, it was a giant dick waving contest.