• 55 Replies

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« on: June 05, 2013, 10:47:32 AM »

« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 08:22:29 AM by sceptimatic »

DuckDodgers

• One Duck to Rule Them All
  • What's supposed to go here?
Re: My "hypothesis" of what gravity could be.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 10:54:27 AM »
How is magnetic gravity able to act on non reactive objects like plastics and carbon and such?
markjo, what force can not pass through a solid or liquid?
Magnetism for one and electric is the other.

DuckDodgers

• One Duck to Rule Them All
  • What's supposed to go here?
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 11:02:35 AM »
So then you are saying there are two distinct forces acting as gravity?   Shouldn't this cause reactive metals,  such as iron,  to fall incredibly fast or slow depending on the direction of the magnetic force?
markjo, what force can not pass through a solid or liquid?
Magnetism for one and electric is the other.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 11:08:25 AM »
How is magnetic gravity able to act on non reactive objects like plastics and carbon and such?
It doesn't...that's where simple air pressure comes in.

How do non-metallic objects fall in a vacuum then?
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 11:13:03 AM »

Yeah, but air pressure has a buoyant effect (lift), not a "push you down" effect.

Also, gravity is weaker if you go higher up, it should be stronger if it was a magnetic repelling force from above.
You could, however, imagine it like a magnetic attraction force from below, in that way it gets weaker as you move higher.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 11:17:40 AM »

Same way as any object would. There's no matter to arrest the fall.

There is also no air pressure.
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 11:19:44 AM »

Yeah, but air pressure has a buoyant effect (lift), not a "push you down" effect.

Also, gravity is weaker if you go higher up, it should be stronger if it was a magnetic repelling force from above.
You could, however, imagine it like a magnetic attraction force from below, in that way it gets weaker as you move higher.
What do you mean air pressure has lift?

How can gravity be weaker as you go up when your body feels more tired.

You could also feel more tired because of the cumulative effort to climb so high, or because of there being less oxygen.

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 11:25:14 AM »

What do you mean air pressure has lift?

How can gravity be weaker as you go up when your body feels more tired.

1. Air pressure does not push you down. It's what makes balloons float. Buoyancy.
Like with your water analogy: In the ocean, pressure increases as you go deeper. Because of this, a body with less density (like a human body) would float up into thinner water. A dead body actually is lighter than water, so it floats up all the way. But even if the body were heavier than water, there would be an upward, lifting force on it. Buoyancy.

2. The force of gravity is weaker as you go higher up, this is measurable. Your body feels tired not because the force is greater, but because you climbed, meaning you had to exert force yourself, against gravity's force, which makes your muscles tire. This tiredness goes away if you rest... If gravity was stronger higher up, you would feel heavier higher up, and a scale would show you weigh more, higher up.

I thought about this then discarded it when I realised I was knackered just walking up 3 flights of stairs.

Like I said, your legs get tired because you exert force against another force. Like if you push a wall. If you knock the wall down after some effort, there's no more force acting on your from the wall, but you feel tired because of the effort.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 11:26:46 AM by icanbeanything »

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 11:26:38 AM »

Same way as any object would. There's no matter to arrest the fall.

There is also no air pressure.

And?
We are talking about on earth here you know.

If you read the above conversation, you said that non-magnetic substances fall due to air pressure.  But in a vaccum chamber, objects still fall despite the lack of air to create air pressure.  This happens on Earth.  You then seem to have forgotten you claimed this. 

You then seem to have forgotten you brought up air pressure as the cause of falling non-magnetic objects. 

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 11:33:47 AM »
Well, you said you get tired because the force is greater higher up... So, why would the tiredness go away if the force remains greater?

It's because you get tired from the process of going higher up, not because of being high up. This does not mean the force is greater higher up.

And if air pressure pushes things down, then how does a balloon float?

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 11:36:56 AM »

If this does not mean that non-magnetic substances fall due to air pressure, then what does it mean?

This quote also shows how you brought air pressure in to the conversation.

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 11:38:18 AM »
A balloon doesn't float.

Funny, I filled one with helium the other day and it floated away.

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 11:43:03 AM »
A balloon doesn't float.

Funny, I filled one with helium the other day and it floated away.
That's nice but I'm not talking about helium.

No, you were talking about a force that affects everything. So that includes helium. You can't just put things on an "ignore" list. And it doesn't work just with helium. It works with simple hot air. You know, like in a hot air balloon? What's making that float?

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 11:43:40 AM »
For all you genuine viewers out there, can you see how these people immediately go into defensive mode when a simple "hypothesis" is made.
They go straight into conspiracy debunk mode.  ;D

These are genuine questions.  If you cannot take being questioned, get out of the question asking business.

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 11:43:48 AM »
For all you genuine viewers out there, can you see how these people immediately go into defensive mode when a simple "hypothesis" is made.
They go straight into conspiracy debunk mode.  ;D

I'm just discussing your hypothesis. That's why you posted it, didn't you?

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2013, 11:51:07 AM »
Fine. If you don't want to discuss, it's the same to me, but why do you post then?

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2013, 12:09:21 PM »
Fine. If you don't want to discuss, it's the same to me, but why do you post then?
Because there is more than just you and Rama, who will immediately discard it.
I'd rather people asked the questions about the OP or even try and put some input into the feasibility of it, instead of an attempt to immediately debunk for the sake of it.

I did not discard anything.  I treated it sceptically and asked evident questions.

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2013, 12:14:50 PM »
I'd rather people asked the questions about the OP or even try and put some input into the feasibility of it, instead of an attempt to immediately debunk for the sake of it.

The air pressure thing was about the OP. So were the magnetism questions.

Is it not equally feasible that the magnetic force is an attractive one from below?
And you made an assumption about air pressure pushing down on objects and making them fall, which I didn't agree with. That's why I brought it up.

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2013, 01:19:16 PM »
Pleas think before posting for God'sake.

?

darknavyseal

• Round Earth, for sure, maybe.
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2013, 01:34:36 PM »
Guys, bear with me. This may seem controversial, but treat this like a hypothesis.

I was playing basketball the other day, and only 1 out of 10 shots of mine went in. This got me thinking. I noticed that my shot percentage went lower the longer I played, and it became increasingly difficult to run up and down the court, as well as to actually shoot the basketball. Jumping was more difficult too. Could gravity increase while one is playing sports? It seems so.

I noticed that the super athletic guy never seemed to tire, so, I logically concluded that if one plays basketball a lot, gravity realizes you are determined to play the sport, and it doesn't increase for you as quickly. I propose that "gravity" is a live, animate being, and pulls people down with his wispy aether arms.

Also, this super athletic guy made at least 6 out of 10 shots that he tried to make. It seems that gravity is also more favorable to those who practice, and uses his aether arms to guide the ball in the hoop.

Oh, btw, gravity got mad with me and twisted my ankle. Damn you, gravity.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2013, 03:28:37 PM »
Guys, bear with me. This may seem controversial, but treat this like a hypothesis.

I was playing basketball the other day, and only 1 out of 10 shots of mine went in. This got me thinking. I noticed that my shot percentage went lower the longer I played, and it became increasingly difficult to run up and down the court, as well as to actually shoot the basketball. Jumping was more difficult too. Could gravity increase while one is playing sports? It seems so.

I noticed that the super athletic guy never seemed to tire, so, I logically concluded that if one plays basketball a lot, gravity realizes you are determined to play the sport, and it doesn't increase for you as quickly. I propose that "gravity" is a live, animate being, and pulls people down with his wispy aether arms.

Also, this super athletic guy made at least 6 out of 10 shots that he tried to make. It seems that gravity is also more favorable to those who practice, and uses his aether arms to guide the ball in the hoop.

You didn't read the OP did you.  ;D
He is just showing how flawed your argument is. You know, the flaws that made you delete all your posts last time you asked why people got tired climbing mountains.

Your hypothesis is terrible. As they pointed out, metallic objects should fall at a different rate than non metallic objects. Not to mention some metals are attracted to magnets and some are repelled. Also for non metallic materials in your theory surface area, aerodynamics, and mass would all effect the rate at with the object falls.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 03:40:40 PM by sokarul »
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2013, 04:22:34 PM »
Sceptimatic, what do you think of vacuum chambers? What sort of voodoo magic is going on in there?

They suck out all the air, yet gravity still exists.

Fraud? as with everything else in this world?

Do you trust your family/friends?

You really should move to Alaska. You can get away from everything. I am too connected but there are some here that don't give a rat's ass for government, technology, and media.

I think you'd enjoy it.
Quote from: Heiwa
You are ignoring this user. Show me the post.

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2013, 04:31:32 PM »
Alaska would blow Sceptis mind as the sun shines past midnight in the summer, destroying his "spotlight sun" theory.

?

squevil

• Official Member
  • Im Telling On You
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2013, 05:28:09 PM »
Is your definition of magnatisim the same as what we see from regular magnets? please answer as i have a point here to help you.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 09:12:17 PM by squevil »

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2013, 05:34:07 PM »

You didn't read the OP did you.  ;D
He is just showing how flawed your argument is. You know, the flaws that made you delete all your posts last time you asked why people got tired climbing mountains.

Your hypothesis is terrible. As they pointed out, metallic objects should fall at a different rate than non metallic objects. Not to mention some metals are attracted to magnets and some are repelled. Also for non metallic materials in your theory surface area, aerodynamics, and mass would all effect the rate at with the object falls.
You also didn't read the OP.
I did and it doesn't cover what I said. You are just making stuff up at will.  We have seen time and time again that you are incapable of understanding physics. You deleted all your post on the topic of getting tired as you climb a mountain. Why do you all of a sudden think your idea was correct when you were laughed at until you deleted your posts? Why can't you answer simple questions about your made up theory? All you have to do is make something up.
Tell us how an iron ingot and a bowling ball can fall at the same rate when they have two different forces acting on them.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

?

Scintific Method

• Trust, but verify.
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2013, 06:03:51 PM »
Here's one you could try yourself scepti:

" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">

Coins being metallic could be effected by your idea of gravity, but the feathers are not magnetic, and there is no air in the tube (when it is evacuated) to apply any kind of pressure to them , so what makes them fall at the same speed as the coins?

Setting this experiment up for yourself would be fairly easy. You would need a strong piece of clear plastic tube, one solid plug, one plug with a good valve in it, and (possibly the hardest piece to get) a vacuum pump.
Quote from: jtelroy
...the FE'ers still found a way to deny it. Not with counter arguments. Not with proof of any kind. By simply denying it.

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt."

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2013, 09:16:16 PM »
You could also feel more tired because of the cumulative effort to climb so high, or because of there being less oxygen.
I thought about this then discarded it when I realised I was knackered just walking up 3 flights of stairs.  ;D
Because you're out of shape!  It's called muscle fatigue.

Go to a gym, get a barbell with some weights, and do several repetitions of lifting it.  What happens?  It feels heavier the more you do. 

Hmmm, is gravity suddenly deciding to concentrate its force on those weights, or are your muscles getting tired?

?

darknavyseal

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2013, 09:23:30 PM »
I thought about this then discarded it when I realised I was knackered just walking up 3 flights of stairs.  ;D

Go to a gym, get a barbell with some weights, and do several repetitions of lifting it.  What happens?  It feels heavier the more you do. 

Hmmm, is gravity suddenly deciding to concentrate its force on those weights, or are your muscles getting tired?

As I stated in my Nobel Prize worthy hypothesis, gravity decides to help those who practice, or who are determined. However, if you over strain yourself, gravity might injure you because he doesn't want you to get too strong.

?

darknavyseal

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2013, 03:51:45 AM »

As I stated in my Nobel Prize worthy hypothesis, gravity decides to help those who practice, or who are determined. However, if you over strain yourself, gravity might injure you because he doesn't want you to get too strong.

That's because gravity doesn't like hubris, do you know who else doesn't like hubris? That's right... Jesus. My theory is that gravity is the ghost of Jesus.

?

Scintific Method

• Trust, but verify.
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2013, 04:31:56 AM »
Here's one you could try yourself scepti:

" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">

Coins being metallic could be effected by your idea of gravity, but the feathers are not magnetic, and there is no air in the tube (when it is evacuated) to apply any kind of pressure to them , so what makes them fall at the same speed as the coins?

Setting this experiment up for yourself would be fairly easy. You would need a strong piece of clear plastic tube, one solid plug, one plug with a good valve in it, and (possibly the hardest piece to get) a vacuum pump.
This isn't about a vacuum.

Your possible explanations for gravity are either magnetism, air pressure, or some combination thereof (correct me if I am wrong), but in the evacuated tube, the feathers were not effected by either magnetism or air pressure, so why did they still fall? And very quickly at that!

When scientists come up with a hypothesis, they test the different aspects of it to see if they hold true. If they do not, then the hypothesis has to be re-thought and refined. I am trying to help you refine your hypothesis.
Quote from: jtelroy
...the FE'ers still found a way to deny it. Not with counter arguments. Not with proof of any kind. By simply denying it.

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt."