Now Playing (the Video Game Version!)

• 334 Replies
?

Crudblud

• Scone Advocate
Re: Now Playing (the Video Game Version!)
« Reply #300 on: November 27, 2013, 05:53:39 PM »
So I'm trying World of Warcraft because why not.

Because it's shit.  And given your financial woes, you won't be able to pay for a subscription, so there's no point in getting yourself addicted to it.
That's why I use free servers.
Are there any of those that actually work properly? All the ones I've seen, while generously offering means to forego the tedious grinding of vanilla, tend to function very erratically: half-scripted raids, disappearing enemies, randomly falling through the ground upon death etc.

Vindictus

• insightful personal text
« Reply #301 on: November 27, 2013, 07:46:50 PM »

Because it's shit.  And given your financial woes, you won't be able to pay for a subscription, so there's no point in getting yourself addicted to it.
Are there any of those that actually work properly? All the ones I've seen, while generously offering means to forego the tedious grinding of vanilla, tend to function very erratically: half-scripted raids, disappearing enemies, randomly falling through the ground upon death etc.

Some of them work very well, with little lag and very high server up times. The reason I don't play private servers right now is because they can't emulate the raids, which is the main reason I liked WoW so much. I haven't seen a single private server with properly scripted raids.

Besides that, the Pay to win aspect of many private servers also ruins the experience.

Lorddave

« Reply #302 on: November 27, 2013, 09:40:06 PM »

The older you get, the more likely you have working stuff.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Lorddave

« Reply #303 on: November 28, 2013, 08:59:36 AM »
Just stared "path of exile" with the wife.
It's basically a Diablo 3 clone.  But the skill tree is... well... massive. Not bad but getting most of the abilities takes forever.
Also, all your "special attacks" are in the form of gems, which are socketed into items, which then level based on their use.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

PizzaPlanet

• Now available in stereo
« Reply #304 on: November 28, 2013, 01:22:43 PM »
You can play as individual counties on EU?
They weren't exactly counties in 1444. Not that the map is accurate at all since Ireland was a complete mindfuck at the time, but still.
hacking your precious forum as we speak 8) 8) 8)

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #305 on: November 28, 2013, 02:51:01 PM »
You can play as individual counties on EU?
They weren't exactly counties in 1444. Not that the map is accurate at all since Ireland was a complete mindfuck at the time, but still.

That would have been the time that there were multiple kingdoms who had a 'high king' over them? If I remember my Irish history right.

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #306 on: November 28, 2013, 03:21:05 PM »
That would have been the time that there were multiple kingdoms who had a 'high king' over them? If I remember my Irish history right.
Yup. EU's somewhat-simplified version of events features the kingdoms of Leinster, Munster, Connaught, Tyrone, and Meath is counted as part of England, because why the heck not?

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #307 on: November 28, 2013, 05:55:17 PM »
Steam Autumn sale is on and Dark Souls is 80% off! I bought a copy already so Supes, if you want it to see if you can run it at all, you can have it.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #308 on: November 28, 2013, 09:23:13 PM »
Dark Souls brings out the Christmas spirit in Blanko.  You could also send her a copy of the console game with Amazon or something, but that wouldn't solve her tiny-TV problem.

Alchemist21

• tfes.org
« Reply #309 on: November 28, 2013, 10:23:14 PM »
I got FF XIV for ps3, but the client is a 2.5 GB download which would put me over my data limit.  Either I wait until Dec. 11, lug my ps3 somewhere else for the download, or download the client onto a flash drive and upload it to my ps3 (if that's possible).
tfes.org

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #310 on: November 28, 2013, 10:29:44 PM »
Final Fantasy is terrible and its success presents to the Western world a very poor image of Japanese video game philosophy.  Blanko knows what I'm talking about.

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #311 on: November 28, 2013, 10:48:29 PM »
Who the hell has a data limit in 2013?

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #312 on: November 28, 2013, 10:56:01 PM »
A fair chunk of the world, and sadly this trend is spreading.

Vindictus

« Reply #313 on: November 28, 2013, 11:33:31 PM »

Who doesn't?

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #314 on: November 29, 2013, 12:04:10 AM »
Steam Autumn sale is on and Dark Souls is 80% off! I bought a copy already so Supes, if you want it to see if you can run it at all, you can have it.

Really? :D That would be awesome! You would be amazing and I'd be eternally grateful even though I won't be able to play it until the one miraculous day I finally get a new graphics card.

@Saddam: I have that problem semi-fixed for now (by which I mean I have temporarily acquired a slightly-bigger TV), so I just need to get PS3 cables since he took them when he left. I can't catch a damn break with this. >:[
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 12:05:55 AM by Supertails »
Recently listened to:

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #315 on: November 29, 2013, 11:10:52 AM »

Who doesn't?
A fair chunk of the world, but this has unfortunately been going through a decline recently.

Vindictus

« Reply #316 on: November 29, 2013, 01:39:01 PM »

Who doesn't?
A fair chunk of the world, but this has unfortunately been going through a decline recently.

You need to start quantifying these chunks.

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #317 on: November 29, 2013, 02:26:24 PM »
I have no such data limits, nor did I know they existed for much of my life!
Recently listened to:

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #318 on: November 29, 2013, 11:33:49 PM »
So, despite the fact that I almost wasn't able to get it until Monday...just got my Zelda 3DS XL! I've been messing around with it and just generally squealing with joy. It's beautiful and soft and amazing, my only complaint being that it does not fit comfortably in one's pockets.

I spent most of the time just screwing around and seeing everything it has to offer, I only got around to starting up Animal Crossing: New Leaf and realizing I couldn't really do anything because it's 1 am. :[ This will be a problem with me and this game...I was planning on playing it without changing the date and time like I'd always do with the prior games.

I also got Pokémon X. I'm conflicted. I'm gonna go downstairs and lay down, and I'm not sure if I wanna start that, A Link Between Worlds, or neither. I dunno if I want to just play one for a little while before I sleep or if I want to wait until I have a big chunk of time to play. Such troubles. :[

StreetPass sounds awesome too, it's just a shame I hardly ever leave the house. :P And when I do, toting that around in my pocket isn't quite ideal...

Anyway! This post sounds way too complain-y for how ecstatic I am. God this device is wonderful. I can't wait until the update next month so that it'll have Miiverse and the Wii U and 3DS will finally share a damn account. Now I just wish they'd make the Virtual Console games playable on both systems, so I could buy a game and play it on either one. I'd love to be able to stick my SD card into the Wii U, play some Super Metroid or something, then take it out and put it in the 3DS so I can play it while I'm on the go.

Also, the 3D Classics seems pretty awesome. I wish I had money to toss about so I could get one or two, or at least wish they had demos for them. They look really pretty, even with how simple they are. There's probably like three or four planes (background, the plane your character moves on, and stuff that pops out), but in stuff like Kirby's Dreamland it actually looks really nice. Apparently Sonic the Hedgehog is like that, too, but they don't have a 3D video for it. :[
Recently listened to:

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #319 on: November 29, 2013, 11:59:09 PM »
I would recommend you start ALBW, it's amazing. It may take the spot as my favourite Zelda, even. It's pretty remarkable how much of a complete one-eighty it is from Skyward Sword; there's very little hand-holding, the story plays a very small part and doesn't take you out of the action, and it's probably the most open Zelda since the original, giving you access to the entire overworld from almost the get-go and the ability to complete dungeons in whatever order you want. It does this by allowing you to rent (and later buy) items, instead of giving them to you in dungeons. The dungeons themselves are still focused around one item at a time, but without the obligatory mini-boss sequences which grant you the dungeon items, the dungeon designs here feel more fresh and original. There's also more of an incentive to explore the dungeons thoroughly, as dungeon item chests have been replaced with optional unique rewards. The controls are tight and very fluid, which is partially accomplished by the game running at 60 FPS.

9/10, would play some more.

Vindictus

« Reply #320 on: November 30, 2013, 12:41:42 AM »
My friend code is 1263 6944 8464 if you want to add me.

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #321 on: November 30, 2013, 01:58:14 AM »
@Blanko: I didn't read anything you said at other than a couple words I caught (60fps? That's awesome! Explains why it feels so smooth) all because I don't want to know even the tiniest detail about the game, but since you're ahead of me (I'd assume), I just beat the first dungeon. I am loving it so far. Its use of 3D is amazing, and so far I'm seriously loving the rearranged music. Too often the games simply reuse songs straightforwardly (I'm looking at you, Kakariko Village theme...), but this one takes a bunch of them and switches them up enough to be interesting again (I'm looking at you, Kakariko Village theme!). It's all so fast and fluid, too. I love the fact that you can face any direction.

I was skeptical about re-using A Link to the Past's map over again, especially when I started the first dungeon and realized those were being somewhat re-used as well. I'm still a bit iffy on the latter part, assuming the rest of them are re-used in the same vein as the first, but for the most part the familiarity along with the changes—really, just the whole revisiting of Hyrule in that time period—is wonderful and evoking a whole new level of nostalgia for me. :P It helps that ALttP is my second- or third-favourite Zelda game.

I won't go into all the "wagh emotionss" I felt and the mix of water, salts and enzymes welling up in my eye sockets as everything washed over me, but seriously I am going to die of happy playing this game. However, I've a feeling I'm mostly going to be playing it in chunks, 'cause I can't fathom playing it without headphones and being able to appreciate the musics. I hope the soundtrack for the game becomes available soon. If Nintendo gave it away as a Club Nintendo reward, even, that'd be awesome, since it's looking to be the first year I'll be a Platinum member. :D
Recently listened to:

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #322 on: November 30, 2013, 10:19:02 AM »
To my understanding it's pretty much just the colonies that have to put up with this kind of crap.

Alchemist21

• tfes.org
« Reply #323 on: November 30, 2013, 11:37:55 AM »
To my understanding it's pretty much just the colonies that have to put up with this kind of crap.

It's true.  I've even heard the unlimited plans aren't truly unlimited, as they charge fees after 2.5GB.  That may just be Verizon though.  Someone told me Sprint unlimited is cheaper than Verizon 4 GB/month.  Any truth to that?
tfes.org

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #324 on: November 30, 2013, 03:02:43 PM »
Starting Pokémon X. I wish there was a way to make the 3DS' volume louder, 'cause the max is too quiet. :[
Recently listened to:

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #325 on: November 30, 2013, 03:37:11 PM »
Has anyone here played any of the Fallout 3 DLC?  It came free with the edition of the game I bought, so I'm wondering what to expect when I finally get to it.  I'm currently busy with NV's DLC.

rooster

« Reply #326 on: November 30, 2013, 09:43:56 PM »
Has anyone here played any of the Fallout 3 DLC?  It came free with the edition of the game I bought, so I'm wondering what to expect when I finally get to it.  I'm currently busy with NV's DLC.
I have. I think there's a zombie swamp one which was kinda fun. It's been awhile though so I don't remember.

I started playing Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition on multiplayer with A&A. The game is utter shit. It crashes constantly. I was really enjoying the game too but now it's almost impossible to play.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 09:45:35 PM by rooster »

Lorddave

« Reply #327 on: December 04, 2013, 05:51:35 PM »
Still working on getting steam on Linux to work.

rooster

« Reply #328 on: December 04, 2013, 07:56:26 PM »
What the fuck are you doing over here, LD?

Lorddave

« Reply #329 on: December 05, 2013, 03:11:35 AM »
What the fuck are you doing over here, LD?
It was just a test post.  I was curious.