What are you reading?

• 1059 Replies

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
  • Will I still be perfect tomorrow?
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #1050 on: January 06, 2023, 04:17:05 AM »

No Mellissa, not everyone gets book recommendations from the cinema, it’s a very bad idea, cinema fucks up books.

I am currently reading the last in the Becky Chambers sci-fi wayfarers series, brilliant.
Life is meaningless and everything dies.

Suicide is dangerous- other philosophies are available-#Life is great.

disputeone

• Or should I?
« Reply #1051 on: January 10, 2023, 11:29:50 PM »
A refused to watch the Martian for ages because the book was excellent.

The movie is ok, I guess.

People with highly developed visual imaginations will always prefer books and will always be disappointed when things in the movie don't look like how they imagined them while they read the book.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 11:33:56 PM by disputeone »
Quote from: Stash
I'm anti-judaism.

Quote from: Space Cowgirl
Whose narrative is it to not believe the government?

Quote from: Wolvaccine
speech should be a privilege. Not a right.

Junker

« Reply #1052 on: January 11, 2023, 12:06:23 PM »
the andromeda evolution. just started it so hopefully they dont shit on my man crichton's legacy

Junker

« Reply #1053 on: January 15, 2023, 08:33:27 AM »
well they didn't shit on his legacy imho but it is definitely a book that did not need to be written...

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #1054 on: January 24, 2023, 06:39:11 AM »

This is Vegan Propaganda (& Other Lies the Meat Industry Tells You) by Ed Winters

A good overview of the arguments and realities of the meat industry, but so far, I'm wishing that the author delved a little deeper on each point before moving on.

A good starting point of people wondering why vegans feel the way they do, but not particularly in-depth.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 06:42:56 AM by Chris Spaghetti »

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #1055 on: March 27, 2023, 07:39:37 AM »
Final thoughts after having finished - it's a good introduction and quick reference point to most of the most common arguments against veganism, as well as providing information that I didn't know. I don't know whether it would convince a meat-eater, but I'll be keeping it on my bookshelf for future reference.

For a change of pace, my next read is Children of Ruin by Adrian Tchaikovsky, the sequel to Children of Time which was an SF book following an artificially uplifted intelligent spider civilisation. Looking forward to seeing where this one goes.

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
« Reply #1056 on: March 27, 2023, 08:15:58 AM »

I are mostly reading books with silly names at the moment, this wasn’t a conscious decision my back brain took over and that was that, until my goodwife said “Why have you took to reading stupid sounding books?”
I suppose it started with Christopher Brookmyre, novels. Satirical and caustic with covers bearing names such as All Fun And Games Until Somebody Loses An Eye, I thoroughly recommend them if you like noir detectives with humour.

Then it was, The Island of the Sequined Love Nun, which I found in a second hand store and features cargo cults and a talking fruit bat, but Christopher Moore pulls it off enough for me to order The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove , Which if anything is even better.

And I’ve just finished, Zoey punches the Future in the Dick, the sequel to Futuristic violence and Fancy Suits by David Wong an American Future humour writer, which are also quite entertaining, but I am about to put in an order at Awesome books . com and I have promised myself to get serious, but then there’s Jasper Ffordes “Nursery Crimes” series that does get good reviews, sooo.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #1057 on: March 31, 2023, 02:23:47 AM »

I are mostly reading books with silly names at the moment, this wasn’t a conscious decision my back brain took over and that was that, until my goodwife said “Why have you took to reading stupid sounding books?”
I suppose it started with Christopher Brookmyre, novels. Satirical and caustic with covers bearing names such as All Fun And Games Until Somebody Loses An Eye, I thoroughly recommend them if you like noir detectives with humour.

Then it was, The Island of the Sequined Love Nun, which I found in a second hand store and features cargo cults and a talking fruit bat, but Christopher Moore pulls it off enough for me to order The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove , Which if anything is even better.

Christopher Moore is great. Loved the Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove, though it's been years since I read it. Also really recommend A Dirty Job about someone becoming a Death and Lamb, a telling of Jesus' early years

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
« Reply #1058 on: April 03, 2023, 03:28:33 AM »

I shall keep an eye out for them.

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #1059 on: May 28, 2023, 06:38:22 PM »
I have finally done what no one has ever achieved. I finished reading the Silmarilion.

Not bad. Though the concept is a lot more interesting than the execution.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget