Are all pilots in on the secret?

• 41 Replies
?

iLoveCircles

• Round Earther
Are all pilots in on the secret?
« on: July 17, 2011, 05:57:46 PM »
Are all pilots in on the secret, since they don't fly off the Earth?

?

Thork

Re: Are all pilots in on the secret?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 05:58:33 PM »
Yes, we are.

?

iLoveCircles

• Round Earther
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 05:59:41 PM »
Yes, we are.

Just because you play Microsoft Flight Simulator doesn't make you a pilot :)

?

iLoveCircles

• Round Earther
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 06:02:48 PM »
http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=49528.msg1216339#msg1216339

As much as it concerns me that you managed to get a comercial pilots license (assuming you're not being untruthful here), I shall rephrase:

Are all real pilots in on the secret?

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 06:03:25 PM »
TheEngineer, a pilot and former moderator on this forum, tells us that the horizon of the earth is not curved from any international flight.

Quote:

"I believe I said that I put myself through college working for an airline, thus having access to free flights around the world.  I also worked for a private FBO, in which the owner owned a Cessna Citation.  I am also a licensed pilot.  Not once, during any of the hundreds if not thousands of flights I've been on, have I ever witnessed the curvature of the Earth."
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 06:06:42 PM by Tom Bishop »

?

Thork

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 06:05:00 PM »
define real

?

iLoveCircles

• Round Earther
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 06:14:10 PM »
define real

Hobbyists flying kiddie planes, in lieu of commercial pilots whom fly cross continental flights in heavy aircraft do not qualify as real pilots in my own opinion of the definition of what a real pilot is.

TheEngineer, a pilot and former moderator on this forum, tells us that the horizon of the earth is not curved from the height of international flights.

Quote:

"I believe I said that I put myself through college working for an airline, thus having access to free flights around the world.  I also worked for a private FBO, in which the owner owned a Cessna Citation.  I am also a licensed pilot.  Not once, during any of the hundreds if not thousands of flights I've been on, have I ever witnessed the curvature of the Earth."

I believe it is extremely inconclusive to provide this as evidence to suggest the Earth is flat. The curve of the horizon might be obstructive by mountains, uneven terrain, etc. Moreover depending on your altitude the amount at which you visualize the curve differs. Even at 20,000 feet the curvature may be only moderately noticeable and factoring in other elements such as visibility due to clouds, lighting or other weather situations makes these pilot's testimonials inconclusive.

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 06:20:25 PM »
define real

Hobbyists flying kiddie planes, in lieu of commercial pilots whom fly cross continental flights in heavy aircraft do not qualify as real pilots in my own opinion of the definition of what a real pilot is.

TheEngineer, a pilot and former moderator on this forum, tells us that the horizon of the earth is not curved from the height of international flights.

Quote:

I believe it is extremely inconclusive to provide this as evidence to suggest the Earth is flat. The curve of the horizon might be obstructive by mountains, uneven terrain, etc. Moreover depending on your altitude the amount at which you visualize the curve differs. Even at 20,000 feet the curvature may be only moderately noticeable and factoring in other elements such as visibility due to clouds, lighting or other weather situations makes these pilot's testimonials inconclusive.

Real pilots only fly heavy planes? ???

?

Thork

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 06:21:14 PM »
I see. Would a hobbyist not have a private license, instead of a commercial one that cost $100,000?

I think I've lost interest. :(

?

iLoveCircles

• Round Earther
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 06:25:34 PM »
I see. Would a hobbyist not have a private license, instead of a commercial one that cost $100,000?

There's a phrase for those who claim to have the ability to fly around the world and discover no ice-wall exists and that they don't fall off the Earth, yet they believe those two things are possible:

A fool.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 06:27:30 PM »

There's a phrase for those who claim to have the ability to fly around the world and discover no ice-wall exists and that they don't fall off the Earth, yet they believe those two things are possible:

A fool.

Circumnavigation is possible in the Flat Earth model without encountering an Ice Wall.

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2011, 06:30:01 PM »
TheEngineer, a pilot and former moderator on this forum, tells us that the horizon of the earth is not curved from any international flight.

Quote:

The existence of curvature is irrelevant in determining the shape of the Earth, as both a flat Earth and a round Earth would exhibit this curvature. The fact that he didn't see it just means he was not high enough.
Quote from: Tom Bishop
If you don't know, whenever you talk about it you're invoking the supernatural
Unknown != Magic.

berny_74

• The IceWall! Beat that
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 06:33:57 PM »

A fool.

Circumnavigation is possible in the Flat Earth model without encountering an Ice Wall.

Except in a North-South directions.

Berny
They forget that at times

To be fair, sometimes what FE'ers say makes so little sense that it's hard to come up with a rebuttal.
Moonlight is good for you.

?

iLoveCircles

• Round Earther
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2011, 06:45:56 PM »

A fool.

That's like saying if you owned a Windows 98 machine and new iMac, you could use Internet Explorer 5.5 on your Windows 98 computer to browse the internet when you could just use that pretty Safari 5 browser on your iMac. You wouldn't do that. And you can't and wouldn't circumnavigation on a two-dimensional Earth, not in the true sense of circumnavigation in which is used in the real world by pilots. A two-dimensional plane in a navigating context offers you no three-dimensional circumference therefore three-dimensional arc to fly whilst attempting to circumnavigate. Unless you were referring to a sudo circumnavigation of sorts in which case pilots wouldn't be in on the secret. But if they're not in on the secret why haven't we heard word on pilot discovery of the ice-wall. Produce me a pilot who will testify that s/he has seen the ice wall with his or her own eyes.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 06:50:28 PM by iLoveCircles »

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2011, 06:48:16 PM »

A fool.

That's like saying if you owned a Windows 98 machine and new iMac, you could use Internet Explorer 5.5 on your Windows 98 computer to browse the internet when you could just use that pretty Safari 5 browser on your iMac. You wouldn't do that. And you can't circumnavigation on a two-dimensional Earth. A two-dimensional plane in a navigating context offers you no three-dimensional circumference therefore arc to fly whilst attempting to circumnavigate. Unless you were referring to a sudo circumnavigation of sorts in which case pilots wouldn't be in on the secret. But if they're not in on the secret why haven't we heard word on pilot discovery of the ice-wall. Produce me a pilot who will testify that s/he has seen the ice wall with his or her own eyes.

Your simile doesn't make sense. The Earth is not two-dimensional, so there IS a 3D arc to circumference to fly around.
Unknown != Magic.

?

iLoveCircles

• Round Earther
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2011, 06:54:35 PM »

A fool.

That's like saying if you owned a Windows 98 machine and new iMac, you could use Internet Explorer 5.5 on your Windows 98 computer to browse the internet when you could just use that pretty Safari 5 browser on your iMac. You wouldn't do that. And you can't circumnavigation on a two-dimensional Earth. A two-dimensional plane in a navigating context offers you no three-dimensional circumference therefore arc to fly whilst attempting to circumnavigate. Unless you were referring to a sudo circumnavigation of sorts in which case pilots wouldn't be in on the secret. But if they're not in on the secret why haven't we heard word on pilot discovery of the ice-wall. Produce me a pilot who will testify that s/he has seen the ice wall with his or her own eyes.

Your simile doesn't make sense. The Earth is not two-dimensional, so there IS a 3D arc to circumference to fly around.

The crux of my point was that it doesn't make sense to circumnavigate on a flat plane because you would be increasing the travel distance as opposed to shortening it. It does make sense to circumnavigate on a circular, or spherical plane because by flying an arc on a circumference where both your destination and departure points are on the circumference you are flying the shortest route (assuming you are flying the minor arc, of course).
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 06:56:27 PM by iLoveCircles »

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2011, 07:06:17 PM »

A fool.

The crux of my point was that it doesn't make sense to circumnavigate on a flat plane because you would be increasing the travel distance as opposed to shortening it. It does make sense to circumnavigate on a circular, or spherical plane because by flying an arc on a circumference where both your destination and departure points are on the circumference you are flying the shortest route (assuming you are flying the minor arc, of course).

If the Earth was flat you could simply travel in a straight line to find the shortest route.
Unknown != Magic.

?

Around And About

• Circular Logic Falls Flat
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2011, 08:29:56 PM »
but if u r @ like 5 inches frum teh norf poll den walk a cercle u go arund in a crckle on th earht, so fet
I'm not black nor a thug, I'm more like god who will bring 7 plagues of flat earth upon your ass.

?

iLoveCircles

• Round Earther
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2011, 08:25:10 AM »

A fool.

If the Earth was flat you could simply travel in a straight line to find the shortest route.

That is precisely my point.

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2011, 08:59:38 AM »

A fool.

That is precisely my point.

Then I'm afraid I don't understand your point.
Unknown != Magic.

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2011, 12:05:19 PM »

A fool.

i am very sorry but no matter how much you believe that the science just does not add up without some strange bending of space time occuring

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2011, 02:46:43 PM »

A fool.

i am very sorry but no matter how much you believe that the science just does not add up without some strange bending of space time occuring

It doesn't take a bending of space time to explain how East-West circumnavigation works on a Flat Earth. The earth is laid out similar to the United Nations Logo.

North is Hubwards, South is Rimwards, East is Turnwise, and West is Widdershins.

Traveling East or West does not at any point take you into the Ice Wall.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 02:49:05 PM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2011, 03:07:52 PM »

A fool.

It doesn't take a bending of space time to explain how East-West circumnavigation works on a Flat Earth. The earth is laid out similar to the United Nations Logo.

North is Hubwards, South is Rimwards, East is Turnwise, and West is Widdershins.

that doesn't make any sense.  to travel east or west using that model one would have to continually adjust their direction or they would begin veering south.  using a RE model one can EASILY explain circumnavigation without any strange theories.

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2011, 03:08:55 PM »
Unless you are on the equator, you would have to continually adjust direction to go east or west on a round Earth, as well.
Unknown != Magic.

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2011, 03:14:58 PM »
Unless you are on the equator, you would have to continually adjust direction to go east or west on a round Earth, as well.

agreed and very true, but using a flat earth model their can be no equator as it is the center of a globe.

?

Nolhekh

• Animator
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2011, 03:18:17 PM »

However, on a Round Earth, if you don't adjust, you will eventually begin to veer north again, something that would not happen on a Flat Earth.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
  • Venerated Official of the High Zetetic Council
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2011, 03:19:19 PM »

A fool.

that doesn't make any sense.  to travel east or west using that model one would have to continually adjust their direction or they would begin veering south.  using a RE model one can EASILY explain circumnavigation without any strange theories.

No one has ever made a transatlantic, never mind circumnavigating, trip without navigation  of some kind.

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2011, 03:21:58 PM »

However, on a Round Earth, if you don't adjust, you will eventually begin to veer north again, something that would not happen on a Flat Earth.

and who told you that?  it depends on what hemisphere your on

?

Nolhekh

• Animator
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2011, 04:39:51 PM »

and who told you that?  it depends on what hemisphere your on
It does depend on hemisphere. You are correct.
No one told this to me.  I figured it out, imagining a starting point in the northern hemisphere, with a path going east, turning in no direction except along the earth's curve, which eventually intersects the equator, then goes around and comes back up again on the other side, reaching once again the starting point.  I apologize for my ignorance of the possibility of starting in the southern hemisphere.  I merely imagined a scenario, and described that which I saw within to be relevant.  I suppose for your sake I could endeavour to rely less on my geometric-based thought processes, strengthen my semantic prowess, and improve political correctness with regards to hemispheres.