Did the people of ancient India believe in Geo or Heliocentrism?

• 21 Replies
…and how do we know? I’ve been looking at Hindu Cosmology videos and none seem to mention it.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
Re: Did the people of ancient India believe in Geo or Heliocentrism?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2024, 08:12:33 AM »
You might have some luck finding answers by reading instead of watching. https://www.britannica.com/topic/Hinduism/Cosmology
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2024, 08:26:22 AM »
Oh sorry, I just realized that is behind a paywall.

I don't know if anyone here is an expert on Hindu cosmology, but I just Googled your question and from some very brief reading I do not think the religion focused much on such things. Maybe try searching for Vedic astrology.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

EarthIsRotund

• Earth is round. Yes.
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2024, 08:29:23 AM »
Define ancient. Which guy are we talking about?
I love Mairimashita Iruma Kun

gnuarm

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2024, 06:34:31 PM »
…and how do we know? I’ve been looking at Hindu Cosmology videos and none seem to mention it.

Why would we care what ancients believe?  They did not have the tools that we now have and they had not made the measurements we now have. 

Why would we not want to use modern information?

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2024, 10:26:27 PM »
The vast majority of very old religions at some conception were either a horizontal or a vertical cosmology; mostly vertical cosmologies were island based world views. Both favor a flat earth. This shouldn't be taken as evidence for either point of view, but in all likelihood they didn't consider the earth to be round.

Our site has brief evidence that they thought it flat, or at least as Rowbotham puts it - not a globe:

In a creation story, the world is made from a flat flower petal.

There is also of course the world turtle that supported the flat earth.

Why the World is on the Back of a Turtle - Miller, Jay; Man, Royal Anthropological Institute of Great Britain and Ireland, New Series, Vol. 9, No. 2 (Jun., 1974), pp. 306–308
Also:
“Mount Meru, in Hindu mythology, a golden mountain that stands in the centre of the universe and is the axis of the world. It is the abode of gods, and its foothills are the Himalayas, to the south of which extends Bhāratavarṣa (“Land of the Sons of Bharata”), the ancient name for India. The roof tower crowning the shrine in a Hindu temple represents Meru. As the world axis, Mount Meru reaches down below the ground, into the nether regions, as far as it extends into the heavens. All of the principal deities have their own celestial kingdoms on or near it, where their devotees reside with them after death, while awaiting their next reincarnation.”

Encyclopedia Britannica, Mount Meru
« Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 10:31:51 PM by Username »
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2024, 05:02:06 AM »

Very old.

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2024, 05:09:37 AM »

Why would we care what ancients believe?  They did not have the tools that we now have and they had not made the measurements we now have. 

We should care very much as there’s evidence to show that they may have possessed technology more advanced than ours.

gnuarm

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2024, 03:59:47 PM »

We should care very much as there’s evidence to show that they may have possessed technology more advanced than ours.

What technology would that be?

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2024, 06:48:59 PM »

This video explains one possible example of what we perhaps were once capable of.

EarthIsRotund

• Earth is round. Yes.
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2024, 08:21:34 PM »
SCG, did you just delete me again for absolutely no reason?

EarthIsRotund

• Earth is round. Yes.
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2024, 08:22:12 PM »

Very old.

How 'very old'? Are we talking about your mom old or your grandmother old?

JackBlack

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2024, 09:20:03 PM »
There are a multitude of things tied into that question.
As well as geocentric vs heliocentric; there is also flat vs round, and in that subcategory of flat, there is the question of if it is just a tiny portion of Earth, or the entire globe; and if they had the sun set by setting and going below Earth, or by going far away.

But there is also the question of if they thought about it at all.

From what I have read in various places, it appears to be a flat model, but I don't know anything indicating if earth is moving or not.

No, there isn't.
There is distortion of things, often reinterpreted to match what we have today.
But no actual evidence of advanced technology.

This video explains one possible example of what we perhaps were once capable of.
This video starts with a blatant misrepresentation of Tesla.
Tesla wasn't trying to harness some magical energy, he just demonstrated how it could be transferred wirelessly.
That wasn't followed up on, because no one wanted to pay to send power everywhere without being able to charge for it.
And there is still plenty of evidence for it around.

But do you notice something really ridiculous about that?
They claim he tried doing that, but then that there is no evidence of it left.
So where is the evidence that he is using to make his claim?
No where. i.e. he is claiming things with no evidence.

When your video starts off so horribly wrong, why should anyone waste their time on it?

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2024, 07:19:39 AM »
SCG, did you just delete me again for absolutely no reason?

No, I moved your spam to the angry garbage dump. I have since moved the thread to FE General, since no one here knows what the ancient Indians believed about the cosmos.

Timeisup

• You still think that. You cannot be serious ?
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2024, 08:50:51 AM »

What significance if any is there on what these ancients peoples believed as they had no way of studying the heavens apart from their naked eyes.

What ancients peoples believed or not is irrelevant given what precious little they actually knew.
Really…..what a laugh!!!

gnuarm

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2024, 03:58:04 PM »

So, none then?   

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2024, 08:06:55 AM »

Very old.

Perhaps a few millenniums.

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2024, 08:17:27 AM »
As well as geocentric vs heliocentric; there is also flat vs round, and in that subcategory of flat, there is the question of if it is just a tiny portion of Earth, or the entire globe; and if they had the sun set by setting and going below Earth, or by going far away.

From what I have read in various places, it appears to be a flat model, but I don't know anything indicating if earth is moving or not.

No, there isn't.

Tesla wasn't trying to harness some magical energy, he just demonstrated how it could be transferred wirelessly.
That wasn't followed up on, because no one wanted to pay to send power everywhere without being able to charge for it.

When your video starts off so horribly wrong, why should anyone waste their time on it?

I’m guessing no one has ever accused you of being open minded, have they? The video was more about the possibility of the pyramids being a source of energy rather than a video on Tesla. If that’s true then pyramids are the evidence. Of course cave dwellers will dismiss that idea as it doesn’t fit the narrative they ascribe to but that shouldn’t surprise anyone.

EarthIsRotund

• Earth is round. Yes.
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2024, 11:02:26 AM »

No, there isn't.

I’m guessing no one has ever accused you of being open minded, have they? The video was more about the possibility of the pyramids being a source of energy rather than a video on Tesla. If that’s true then pyramids are the evidence. Of course cave dwellers will dismiss that idea as it doesn’t fit the narrative they ascribe to but that shouldn’t surprise anyone.

I'm guessing no one has ever accused you of being smart, have they?

EarthIsRotund

• Earth is round. Yes.
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2024, 11:14:45 AM »

Very old.

Perhaps a few millenniums.

so, aryabhatta, C.E 450 (I think?) worked with a round earth but geocentric model. before that, astronomy was completely whack. They believed in something similar to a shadow object as the reason for eclipses. after that, I suppose it still took them a few centuries to probably work out the heliocentric model, but yeah - I suppose, to answer your question - a few millennias ago, ancient indians believed in a probably flat earth, geocentric model with shadow objects

JackBlack

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2024, 02:39:22 PM »
There is a difference between being open minded and just accepting whatever crap someone says.

The good quote related to that is "it pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out".

The video in question starts with a complete misrepresentation of Tesla's work, and admits there is no evidence for the claim, i.e. they are claiming without evidence.
When it starts off so poorly, why should I waste my time watching the rest?

Even look at how you approach this now. You say if this wild claim is true the pyramids are the evidence. That is putting the claim before the evidence.
What is the claim is false?

You should start with the evidence and see where it leads.

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2024, 04:21:31 AM »
The people are india are the literal inspiration for Discworld. They were definitely flat Earthers. As to geocentrism vs heliocentrism, well they often go hand in hand, but not always.

Quote from: Themightykabool
crazy people don't know they're crazy.