Why are we able to see the Moon?

• 196 Replies
?

FallacyAlert

• Pastafarianism is more logical than your bullshit.
Re: Why are we able to see the Moon?
« Reply #150 on: March 31, 2015, 01:02:23 AM »
fallacyalert, stop saying space is composed of particles. i have criticized you for this before. space is not composed of particles or atoms or any such thing, as i have explicitly and repeatedly stated, and as even round earthers agree.
every conclusion you draw from such a bs assumption is utterly irrelevant. have you finished being an idiot?
"Space could just simply exist as separate, multiple points," is nonsense as space is not composed of particles, space is composed of one entity. this is the crucial fact every single one of you are ignoring. that one entity exists in every location in space.

i'm not sure why you're talking about vacuums, we're discussing space as in the four dimensional undercurrent to everything, not 'outer space'.
none of you are providing anything other than assertion. why are you expecting the thing by which we measure acceleration (space, and so distance) to behave in the same way as the things within it? that's absurd.

Space does not need to be comprised of particles for the multiple location thing to be proven wrong. Even if space is 'one entity', as you say, then it cannot have infinite acceleration because it is one single thing occupying every available point of space that it can fill, so it cannot be accelerating because there is nowhere for it to move to.

For this one thing that exists in every location in space to be infinitely accelerating is wrong according to your previous point anyway, because then again, it would be reaching those defined points of distance 'a' and 'b' before the recording has even started, which doesn't work as part of a proper test.

you are still thinking in terms of matter. for matter to exist in more than one location, the fundamental atom (or rather, planck length part of an atom) would need to be in two locations. this is because matter is made up of particles, and those particles are what is relevant.
space, as one entity not composed of trillions of planck lengths, themselves all entities, is different. space is space.

it doesn't matter if you measure from a to b or b to a. by definition, space is at both those points. it's not a matter of testing, it's a matter of fundamental fact. space is at every single point in space. that's so simple it's a tautology. when you're not thinking in terms of particles, it is in multiple places at once.

why is it so hard to understand that higher dimensional things don't behave as we'd expect in lower dimensions? that's a pretty basic part of science.

Okay, that was pretty hard to read, but I'll roll with it.

So, space is one, higher-dimensional entity that occupies all of space. So, how is it infinitely accelerating? If this big entity occupies all of space, then it should still not have any area in which to accelerate.

this is advanced, it's not going to be easy to understand. everything requires a little thought to learn.
space exists in more than one place at any one time. as it is not in more than one place, it is one entity that exists in multiple points in space instantaneously. we simply apply the calculations i have given multiple times to deduce the speed (and by a similar process, the acceleration) is infinite.
it is accelerating within itself, not beyond itself. don't try to visualize, higher dimensional things are impossible to visualize. trust simple math.

"Higher dimensional things are impossible to visualise"?

Say I draw 3 lines on one sheet of paper, to represent these 'distances'. Line 2 and 3 are double the distance apart that 1 and 2 are.

Now, let's do this 'test' again - start the clock and you'll see that it takes zero time for the distance to be covered, because the points are already there. Then, the second distance - exactly the same principle, the distance is covered in zero time, because the points have already been placed. The piece of paper is one entity, the acceleration is infinite in the paper as well because an infinite number of points can be placed within this sheet of paper to also represent infinite acceleration.

Whoo, just visualised it. I must be a higher-dimensional being :P

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #151 on: March 31, 2015, 02:42:25 AM »
fallacyalert, stop saying space is composed of particles. i have criticized you for this before. space is not composed of particles or atoms or any such thing, as i have explicitly and repeatedly stated, and as even round earthers agree.
every conclusion you draw from such a bs assumption is utterly irrelevant. have you finished being an idiot?
"Space could just simply exist as separate, multiple points," is nonsense as space is not composed of particles, space is composed of one entity. this is the crucial fact every single one of you are ignoring. that one entity exists in every location in space.

i'm not sure why you're talking about vacuums, we're discussing space as in the four dimensional undercurrent to everything, not 'outer space'.
none of you are providing anything other than assertion. why are you expecting the thing by which we measure acceleration (space, and so distance) to behave in the same way as the things within it? that's absurd.

Space does not need to be comprised of particles for the multiple location thing to be proven wrong. Even if space is 'one entity', as you say, then it cannot have infinite acceleration because it is one single thing occupying every available point of space that it can fill, so it cannot be accelerating because there is nowhere for it to move to.

For this one thing that exists in every location in space to be infinitely accelerating is wrong according to your previous point anyway, because then again, it would be reaching those defined points of distance 'a' and 'b' before the recording has even started, which doesn't work as part of a proper test.

you are still thinking in terms of matter. for matter to exist in more than one location, the fundamental atom (or rather, planck length part of an atom) would need to be in two locations. this is because matter is made up of particles, and those particles are what is relevant.
space, as one entity not composed of trillions of planck lengths, themselves all entities, is different. space is space.

it doesn't matter if you measure from a to b or b to a. by definition, space is at both those points. it's not a matter of testing, it's a matter of fundamental fact. space is at every single point in space. that's so simple it's a tautology. when you're not thinking in terms of particles, it is in multiple places at once.

why is it so hard to understand that higher dimensional things don't behave as we'd expect in lower dimensions? that's a pretty basic part of science.

So, space is one, higher-dimensional entity that occupies all of space. So, how is it infinitely accelerating? If this big entity occupies all of space, then it should still not have any area in which to accelerate.

this is advanced, it's not going to be easy to understand. everything requires a little thought to learn.
space exists in more than one place at any one time. as it is not in more than one place, it is one entity that exists in multiple points in space instantaneously. we simply apply the calculations i have given multiple times to deduce the speed (and by a similar process, the acceleration) is infinite.
it is accelerating within itself, not beyond itself. don't try to visualize, higher dimensional things are impossible to visualize. trust simple math.

Say I draw 3 lines on one sheet of paper, to represent these 'distances'. Line 2 and 3 are double the distance apart that 1 and 2 are.

Now, let's do this 'test' again - start the clock and you'll see that it takes zero time for the distance to be covered, because the points are already there. Then, the second distance - exactly the same principle, the distance is covered in zero time, because the points have already been placed. The piece of paper is one entity, the acceleration is infinite in the paper as well because an infinite number of points can be placed within this sheet of paper to also represent infinite acceleration.

no, you have completely failed to visualize it because you are ignoring everything i am saying. space is not made out of atoms or molecules like paper, did you forget that? with paper, the lines are completely different things, because paper is not one entity, paper is billions of atoms. are you seriously trying to forget that?
space, however, is just one thing.

why is it so hard to understand that the means by which we measure distance will, when examined in terms of that distance, behave oddly?
http://fet.wikia.com
dualearththeory.proboards.com/
On the sister site if you want to talk.

?

LogicalKiller

• Atheist, Re'er and happy doctor of physics
« Reply #152 on: March 31, 2015, 06:32:35 AM »

no, you have completely failed to visualize it because you are ignoring everything i am saying. space is not made out of atoms or molecules like paper, did you forget that? with paper, the lines are completely different things, because paper is not one entity, paper is billions of atoms. are you seriously trying to forget that?

why is it so hard to understand that the means by which we measure distance will, when examined in terms of that distance, behave oddly?

"HOW TO WIN A DISCUSSION BY A JROWE WAY OF ARGUMENTING"

Step 1: post a simple analogy refering some material object to explain how non-material thing can be thicker/thinner. Also, this analogy isn't analogy, because it has nothing to do with your first idea.
Step 2: listen someone saying that your analogy is invalid.
Step 3: say to him that it's not invalid if he just can't visualize it.
Step 4: ???
Step 5: PROFIT
"I hadn't known there are so many idiots on the world until I launched the Internet." ~ Stanisław Lem
personally i think fairies share a common ancestor with humans

?

FallacyAlert

« Reply #153 on: March 31, 2015, 01:46:09 PM »

Wow. I'm astounded. I might actually be a flat earther now. Sorry for ever disbelieving.

There's just one more thing I'm a little confused about. How the hell was "space", as this single entity , formed  as one thing when every single other thing that we know of is made of individual atoms. Are you seriously trying to say that our Earth was made by someone in a higher dimension, and that because we're in a lower dimension, we have things that are made up of atoms and molecules rather than being one entity?

Y'know, space in this situation kind of reminds me of "God". JRowe's now worshipping "The Lord our space".

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #154 on: March 31, 2015, 01:51:09 PM »

Wow. I'm astounded. I might actually be a flat earther now. Sorry for ever disbelieving.

There's just one more thing I'm a little confused about. How the hell was "space", as this single entity , formed  as one thing when every single other thing that we know of is made of individual atoms. Are you seriously trying to say that our Earth was made by someone in a higher dimension, and that because we're in a lower dimension, we have things that are made up of atoms and molecules rather than being one entity?

Y'know, space in this situation kind of reminds me of "God". JRowe's now worshipping "The Lord our space".

space is not matter, atoms compose matter.
i have no idea what the rest of that is meant to mean. i've said none of that. please try to actually read.

?

FallacyAlert

« Reply #155 on: April 01, 2015, 03:36:51 AM »

i have no idea what the rest of that is meant to mean. i've said none of that. please try to actually read.

You never said the other stuff?

Or this?

You literally said in those quotes that space was a higher dimensional entity, and that the paper is made of billions of atoms.

i've said none of that.

Sure you haven't.

?

LogicalKiller

« Reply #156 on: April 01, 2015, 03:45:51 AM »

Exactly. That's why space can't be thicker or thinner.
And - matter isn't composed of atoms, matter is just a particle with energy.
"I hadn't known there are so many idiots on the world until I launched the Internet." ~ Stanisław Lem

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #157 on: April 01, 2015, 07:07:07 AM »

You never said the other stuff?

Or this?

You literally said in those quotes that space was a higher dimensional entity, and that the paper is made of billions of atoms.

i've said none of that.

Sure you haven't.

space is something that exists in more than three dimensions, as it itself defines those three dimensions. i don't see what's so hard to understand about that. i'm trying to work out how the hell you started referring to it as 'someone'.

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #158 on: April 01, 2015, 07:08:29 AM »

matter isn't composed of atoms? are you serious?
oh, so it's just particles. particles obviously aren't made of atoms... what are you smoking?

you're not providing evidence for your repeated assertion "that's why space can't be thicker or thinner." i am explaining my model. if you have a problem with it, provide more than assertion, otherwise you're just whinging like usual.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #159 on: April 01, 2015, 07:32:08 AM »
oh, so it's just particles. particles obviously aren't made of atoms... what are you smoking?

you're not providing evidence for your repeated assertion "that's why space can't be thicker or thinner." i am explaining my model. if you have a problem with it, provide more than assertion, otherwise you're just whinging like usual.

By "particles" he means quarks like protons, neutrons, and electrons.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #160 on: April 01, 2015, 07:34:58 AM »

By "particles" he means quarks like protons, neutrons, and electrons.

they're hadrons, not quarks.
replace 'atom' with 'quark' then, what i've said still makes sense, i was just trying to explain in simpler terms without sounding like a posh duck. i was assuming the reader would be able to think.

?

LogicalKiller

« Reply #161 on: April 01, 2015, 07:50:51 AM »

Are photons atoms? No. Are photons matter? Hell yeah. Are free protons atoms? No. Are free photons matter? Hell yeah. And so on, you physical dilletante.

Misero

• Of course it's flat. It looks that way up close.
« Reply #162 on: April 01, 2015, 10:27:44 AM »
Matter is defined as anything with mass and volume. So it's not just exclusively atoms.
I am the worst moderator ever.

Sometimes I wonder: "Why am  I on this site?"
Then I look at threads about clouds not existing and I go back to posting and lurking. Lurk moar.

?

LogicalKiller

« Reply #163 on: April 01, 2015, 11:36:19 AM »
Matter is defined as anything with mass and volume. So it's not just exclusively atoms.

Photons are also matter and they do not have mass.

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #164 on: April 01, 2015, 11:46:09 AM »

atoms and subatomic elements. it doesn't matter, space is not composed of any of them.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #165 on: April 01, 2015, 12:08:59 PM »

atoms and subatomic elements. it doesn't matter, space is not composed of any of them.
They are called subatomic particles, not elements.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #166 on: April 01, 2015, 12:22:46 PM »

They are called subatomic particles, not elements.

word choice is not the important thing right now.

Misero

« Reply #167 on: April 02, 2015, 07:16:34 AM »
My problem with this is(among hundreds of others) that how can something with no mass exert forces on things with mass? And don't ramble about higher-dimensional stuff, you have no proof.

Then I look at threads about clouds not existing and I go back to posting and lurking. Lurk moar.

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #168 on: April 02, 2015, 07:27:20 AM »
My problem with this is(among hundreds of others) that how can something with no mass exert forces on things with mass? And don't ramble about higher-dimensional stuff, you have no proof.

we exist in space, don't we? how could we not affected by its movements?

in addition, force is mass times acceleration: and acceleration is basically a meaningless concept when it comes to space, because the dimensions of space are required to understand acceleration. you rely on that formula if you're trying to say force can be imparted by mass, but it's just not relevant here. (it can actually be shown that the dimension of space has infinite acceleration, but i don't want to go down that road again).

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #169 on: April 02, 2015, 09:28:33 AM »
Explain why acceleration is meaningless in space.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

?

LogicalKiller

« Reply #170 on: April 02, 2015, 09:31:55 AM »

Remove this post, if we stop responding to him, he'll stop trolling and doing ad-hoc aether.

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #171 on: April 02, 2015, 09:33:29 AM »

Remove this post, if we stop responding to him, he'll stop trolling and doing ad-hoc aether.

What, exactly, is it you want from this forum?
We all know deep in our hearts that Jane is the last face we'll see before we're choked to death!

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #172 on: April 02, 2015, 09:42:07 AM »

it's not meaningless in space, it's meaningless for space. acceleration is the rate of change of speed, speed is the rate of change of distance, and how can you say that space, the means by which we define distance, does or does not move through that distance? it's an inherently absurd statement.

FalseProphet

• Life is just a tale
« Reply #173 on: April 02, 2015, 09:59:12 AM »
My problem with this is(among hundreds of others) that how can something with no mass exert forces on things with mass?

Photons do that quite well somehow.

?

LogicalKiller

« Reply #174 on: April 02, 2015, 10:00:18 AM »
You see, sokarul? Responding to JRowe is feeding a troll. Stop doing this, seriously.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #175 on: April 02, 2015, 10:45:05 AM »

it's not meaningless in space, it's meaningless for space. acceleration is the rate of change of speed, speed is the rate of change of distance, and how can you say that space, the means by which we define distance, does or does not move through that distance? it's an inherently absurd statement.
It is better to say acceleration is the change in velocity. Velocity is the change in distance over time or a change in direction.
I see now. Yes acceleration would be meaningless for space in your model. But you can't make this claim and then use the same space as something else with different properties.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #176 on: April 02, 2015, 11:53:18 AM »

It is better to say acceleration is the change in velocity. Velocity is the change in distance over time or a change in direction.
I see now. Yes acceleration would be meaningless for space in your model. But you can't make this claim and then use the same space as something else with different properties.

when do i use space as something else with a different property?

?

FallacyAlert

« Reply #177 on: April 04, 2015, 02:46:26 AM »
My original question is yet to be answered. How do we see the moon, if the sun acts like a spotlight pointed at the earth?

JRoweSkeptic

• Flat Earth Believer
  • DET Developer
« Reply #178 on: April 04, 2015, 04:01:17 AM »
My original question is yet to be answered. How do we see the moon, if the sun acts like a spotlight pointed at the earth?
has been answered, pay attention. the moon provides its own light. you don't just get to disregard the answer given to you multiple times because you feel like clinging to your fantasy.

Misero

« Reply #179 on: April 04, 2015, 05:58:07 AM »
Fantasy? You're the one who decides NASA photos cannot be trusted, but fairy photos can. You're the guy who believes space itself is rubbing against the moon to make it white-hot.