Mythbusters did the moon landing

• 413 Replies

Timeisup

• You still think that. You cannot be serious ?
Re: Mythbusters did the moon landing
« Reply #390 on: July 31, 2021, 06:52:48 AM »
No maths required.

The moon landings is a mater of historical fact doubted only by conspiracy nuts, though the exact history of the conspiracy is actually quite interesting. Lots of people, even amatures with some expert assistance have pinged lasers of the discs left on the moon. It's no big deal.

There are also images that show tracks in the lunar dust.

Just wait till 2024 when it will be a real slam dunk. I wonder what all the conspiracy people will say then? Watch this space....
Really…..what a laugh!!!

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #391 on: July 31, 2021, 03:55:57 PM »
Epic thread necro

Anyway that moon landing episode was kinda dumb. I could run a script on my computer that pretends to fire a laser and detect one back when I press the enter key.

Also you don't need someone to land on the moon to install reflectors. You could just dump them there on a fly by

Also, the moon is naturally reflective, hence its shine.

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

« Reply #392 on: July 31, 2021, 07:42:45 PM »
This guy is a real film director who explains how 1969 technology to fake the moon landing:

Is it possible for something to be both true and unproven?

Are things that are true and proven any different from things that are true but not proven?

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #393 on: August 01, 2021, 08:06:47 PM »
Epic thread necro

Anyway that moon landing episode was kinda dumb. I could run a script on my computer that pretends to fire a laser and detect one back when I press the enter key.
Logical fallacy.
Also you don't need someone to land on the moon to install reflectors. You could just dump them there on a fly by
And?

Also, the moon is naturally reflective, hence its shine.
The reflectors are retroreflectors. Look it up.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #394 on: August 01, 2021, 09:24:27 PM »
Myth busters usually do a pretty good job. Everyone can see the myth busted

Tell me, how are the viewers at home (especially the sceptics) supposed to be at all convinced about that laser segment? It was really just a 'just trust it' rather than a hands down, slam dunk, proof for all to see the laser going and coming

The point of the episode was about the moon landing. You know.... Man stepping foot on the moon? It's not only 'flat earthers' who believe it didn't happen. Plenty of people who believe in space and space probes and all the pretty pictures do not believe someone stepped foot on the moon on 1969. Just ask Heiwa ;) So yeah, the fact there are retro reflectors on the moon does not in any way mean some guy landed on the moon, put them there and took off again

A reflective surface can shine the laser back to the source if the angle is right. It's much harder and needs a precise angle, sure. I know what a retro reflector does thanks and my statement still stands

I don't disagree with any of their previous debunking myths about the moon landing. The laser one was not convincing to the argument of 'man landed on the moon' and unlike their other points which could get a sceptic to think, this one would not have convinced a single sceptic

Get over it. Some bitch pushing a key on a keyboard and some screen showing some result does not in any way convince to a sceptic that man landed on the moon, installed retro reflectors and came back again. Sure, show the piece, but Adam Savage 'oh yeah that's totally proves it' was just cringe
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 09:26:04 PM by Shifter »

what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

Know your place

Timeisup

« Reply #395 on: August 01, 2021, 11:58:08 PM »

Tell me, how are the viewers at home (especially the sceptics) supposed to be at all convinced about that laser segment? It was really just a 'just trust it' rather than a hands down, slam dunk, proof for all to see the laser going and coming

The point of the episode was about the moon landing. You know.... Man stepping foot on the moon? It's not only 'flat earthers' who believe it didn't happen. Plenty of people who believe in space and space probes and all the pretty pictures do not believe someone stepped foot on the moon on 1969. Just ask Heiwa ;) So yeah, the fact there are retro reflectors on the moon does not in any way mean some guy landed on the moon, put them there and took off again

A reflective surface can shine the laser back to the source if the angle is right. It's much harder and needs a precise angle, sure. I know what a retro reflector does thanks and my statement still stands

I don't disagree with any of their previous debunking myths about the moon landing. The laser one was not convincing to the argument of 'man landed on the moon' and unlike their other points which could get a sceptic to think, this one would not have convinced a single sceptic

Get over it. Some bitch pushing a key on a keyboard and some screen showing some result does not in any way convince to a sceptic that man landed on the moon, installed retro reflectors and came back again. Sure, show the piece, but Adam Savage 'oh yeah that's totally proves it' was just cringe

Think again!

For a laser to be pointed at the moon and for some of the photons to reflected back to the very point they originated from demands precise alignment plus a target that will bounce some of the photons back from whence they came. The bare lunar surface could not perform such an action!

Why do you imagine they put targets there in the first place….Duh!

Really…..what a laugh!!!

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #396 on: August 02, 2021, 12:24:50 AM »

Think again!

For a laser to be pointed at the moon and for some of the photons to reflected back to the very point they originated from demands precise alignment plus a target that will bounce some of the photons back from whence they came. The bare lunar surface could not perform such an action!

It's not impossible and I never questioned the validity of the retro reflectors on the moon surface or what job they do

Myth Busters is a show for sceptics. All the segments they did before the laser were good, researched and hard for a sceptic to deny

The last segment well, what can you say... Do you honestly think a sceptic is going to be convinced by that? Some woman employee pushes a button and a screen returns a 'result'. Really? Hands down, slam dunk 'evidence' for the TV viewer?

You believe there is nothing nefarious and you're more than likely right. However this is a show for sceptics. For people like you it just confirms your bias

I just look at the episode objectively and think that laser segment did not 'prove' anything.

To the TV home viewer. No proof a laser was fired and no proof a laser got returned. And again, the show was about 'did man land on the noon' and you could probably get away with dumping the reflectors on there without needing a man

Lots of moon landing sceptics are fine with the concept of space, space probes, Mars rovers or even think landing on the moon could be done. They just think that it wasn't done in 1969 and the few years that followed the program for whatever reasons
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 12:32:00 AM by Shifter »

Know your place

Timeisup

« Reply #397 on: August 02, 2021, 06:01:01 AM »

Think again!

It's not impossible and I never questioned the validity of the retro reflectors on the moon surface or what job they do

Myth Busters is a show for sceptics. All the segments they did before the laser were good, researched and hard for a sceptic to deny

The last segment well, what can you say... Do you honestly think a sceptic is going to be convinced by that? Some woman employee pushes a button and a screen returns a 'result'. Really? Hands down, slam dunk 'evidence' for the TV viewer?

You believe there is nothing nefarious and you're more than likely right. However this is a show for sceptics. For people like you it just confirms your bias

I just look at the episode objectively and think that laser segment did not 'prove' anything.

To the TV home viewer. No proof a laser was fired and no proof a laser got returned. And again, the show was about 'did man land on the noon' and you could probably get away with dumping the reflectors on there without needing a man

Lots of moon landing sceptics are fine with the concept of space, space probes, Mars rovers or even think landing on the moon could be done. They just think that it wasn't done in 1969 and the few years that followed the program for whatever reasons

Im afraid that is the problem with stupid people. They will choose to believe other idiots like themselves instead of experts. Most of the time, no harm done but when stupid people listen to other stupid people over things like the efficacy of vaccines then problems do result. All those people at deaths door who were vaccine sceptics and those who have already gone through wishing they had listened. Too late pal thats what you get for being stupid.

What can you do...lead a horse to water etc. etc....
Really…..what a laugh!!!

« Reply #398 on: August 03, 2021, 12:44:44 PM »
It is not just lasers. Go to youtube and search "ham radio moonbounce". Govt, university, and amateurs all over the world have done this and gotten the same answer, so radio waves with no reflector get the same results. Time/speed/distance matches, the delay in the return signal is just what RE predicts.

Is it possible for something to be both true and unproven?

Are things that are true and proven any different from things that are true but not proven?

« Reply #399 on: August 07, 2021, 04:49:27 AM »
Edit:  Wrong guy.  Ignore everything I said.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 06:19:46 AM by Unconvinced »

« Reply #400 on: August 15, 2021, 05:52:22 AM »
It is not just lasers. Go to youtube and search "ham radio moonbounce". Govt, university, and amateurs all over the world have done this and gotten the same answer, so radio waves with no reflector get the same results. Time/speed/distance matches, the delay in the return signal is just what RE predicts.
When you start looking for it, it really is staggering how much round earthers rely on cheap manipulation and fallacies in place of any actual argument. It reminds me of those life hack channels on youtube, able to dress something up pretty and avoiding giving any explanation, getting a huge amount of followers and making bank while spreading outright lies and even dangerous ideas.

'This small thing you can do at home will change how you see the world! Trust us!'

Mikey T.

« Reply #401 on: August 15, 2021, 06:59:23 AM »
When you start looking for it, it really is staggering how much round earthers rely on cheap manipulation and fallacies in place of any actual argument. It reminds me of those life hack channels on youtube, able to dress something up pretty and avoiding giving any explanation, getting a huge amount of followers and making bank while spreading outright lies and even dangerous ideas.

'This small thing you can do at home will change how you see the world! Trust us!'
Isn't that the whole argument of FE idiots?  They didn't do it themselves so they won't believe it.  The depths of the FE cult brainwashing astound me.   No matter what you try to educate them, they just can't get past the conspiracy laden FE programming that the cult leaders tell them. 

« Reply #402 on: August 15, 2021, 07:12:06 AM »

Isn't that the whole argument of FE idiots?  They didn't do it themselves so they won't believe it.  The depths of the FE cult brainwashing astound me.   No matter what you try to educate them, they just can't get past the conspiracy laden FE programming that the cult leaders tell them.
You really have no self awareness do you?
FET doesn't have cult leaders. I think you're thinking of your side there. That's the one led by specific, named individuals that almost everyone can name, and who repeat things that they say you don't understand, but to take their word for it...
Meanwhile FET has a few big names, but FEers don't follow all of them blindly - rather, we make up our minds based on our own understanding and research.

Tell me, which of those sounds like a cult to you?
Why is it every time I point out an issue with your thinking, an REer always decides to use the childish 'Actually you're guilty of that thing you said we were doing! Ka-ching! Victory!'

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #403 on: August 15, 2021, 07:26:57 AM »
FET doesn't have cult leaders.

Cult Leader: Samuel Rowbotham

Bible: Earth Not A Globe

Religion: Universal Zetetic Society

I mean, you have people who are members of "The Zetetic Council" and the number of times that book and his experiment are brought up and portrayed as absolute truth is pretty common. It's all over several flat earth wikis.

You have a few leaders that a large number of flat earthers follow on YouTube and podcasts. How about Mark Sargent?

Daniel Shenton? :)

Mikey T.

« Reply #404 on: August 15, 2021, 07:52:17 AM »

FET doesn't have cult leaders. I think you're thinking of your side there. That's the one led by specific, named individuals that almost everyone can name, and who repeat things that they say you don't understand, but to take their word for it...
Meanwhile FET has a few big names, but FEers don't follow all of them blindly - rather, we make up our minds based on our own understanding and research.

Why is it every time I point out an issue with your thinking, an REer always decides to use the childish 'Actually you're guilty of that thing you said we were doing! Ka-ching! Victory!'
Really?  I am not the one complaining that I cant get proof then refusing to do experiments, then complaining that I am told easier ways of getting the proof.  Refusal to even entertain opposing evidence is rather brainwashed behavior.  Believing whatever someone tells you only because it fits with your brainwashed ideas specifically because it makes you feel like some underground hero fighting against perceived authority sounds pretty cult like. 
But hey, you have proven you wont accept anything that challenges you, as evidenced by your recent fussing about being given things you can do yourself that would challenge them.  It's ok FE sheep, just keep following your little herd, do what your told, never open your mind to being wrong. 

« Reply #405 on: August 15, 2021, 10:52:42 AM »

Cult Leader: Samuel Rowbotham

Bible: Earth Not A Globe

Religion: Universal Zetetic Society

I mean, you have people who are members of "The Zetetic Council" and the number of times that book and his experiment are brought up and portrayed as absolute truth is pretty common. It's all over several flat earth wikis.

You have a few leaders that a large number of flat earthers follow on YouTube and podcasts. How about Mark Sargent?

Daniel Shenton? :)
I see that book brought up far more by round earthers than flat earthers. And leaders? They are sources, but most don't follow them blindly. I honestly can't tell if you're trolling or genuinely so mindless that you can't see the difference. Are you really that unfamiliar with the in-fighting?
When Neil Degrasse Tyson says something, you believe him because he said it. When a prominent flat earther says something, first, we should actually question what prominent even means - a few people try to make money off of FET, and they are dogged by controversy like you wouldn't believe. They are shouted down, called out, publicly disagreed with all over the place. Most of the major flat earthers more often cultivate an audience of round earthers and make money off the controversy: take a look at Mark Sargent's channel, he has Family Feud clips, COVID clickbait, titles clearly geared towards round earthers (who do you think 'Flat Earth Clues!' is aimed at, people that already think the world is flat, or people who disagree and want to debunk supposed clues?). You're holding him up as an equivalent? Sure.
Among actual flat earthers, some are seen as a useful resource, and some are seen as sell-outs and embarrassments. When a prominent flat earther says something, the response is massively divided - yes, you can have the hobbyists who use it more for community than science, but they are a minority as opposed to the entire audience.

Round Earthers say "You won't understand, but believe it anyway." Flat Earthers say "Here is the evidence."

Really?  I am not the one complaining that I cant get proof then refusing to do experiments, then complaining that I am told easier ways of getting the proof.  Refusal to even entertain opposing evidence is rather brainwashed behavior.  Believing whatever someone tells you only because it fits with your brainwashed ideas specifically because it makes you feel like some underground hero fighting against perceived authority sounds pretty cult like. 
But hey, you have proven you wont accept anything that challenges you, as evidenced by your recent fussing about being given things you can do yourself that would challenge them.  It's ok FE sheep, just keep following your little herd, do what your told, never open your mind to being wrong. 
Well given I'm not the one saying that either, I don't know what world you're living in. Maybe the planet you're on actually is round, who knows? Here in the real world, we follow evidence and draw conclusions and don't blindly follow the leader.
"being given things you can do yourself that would challenge them." I notice you cut out the context conveniently. Learn about the life hacks trend, I recommend it, you'll find a lot of similarities. For example, people claim to be able to find out if cheese is synthetic or natural by holding a flame to it - either it melts, or catches fire. If it melts, it's natural, if it doesn't, it's synthetic and processed. That's the claim, though of course it doesn't work out - all it tests is fat content. High fat, melts. Low fat, burns.
You don't offer ways to challenge or test, you offer narrow little hacks with intentionally concealed subjects. And, as with your posts, utter garbage you've wholesale made up but you get to feign superiority to someone, so so be it, you can lie all you want.

« Reply #406 on: August 15, 2021, 10:54:43 AM »
I would also remind you of the post I was responding to.
Is that what you would call actual, fleshed out, supported evidence? Three disparate words, no explanation, no understanding of the principles, no actual evidence.

It's foolishness, and it characterizes the general lack of self-awareness your side possesses. By all means, do your usual tack of huddling together to defend him, when you would call out any flat earther who did something even remotely similar.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #407 on: August 15, 2021, 12:27:49 PM »
Round Earthers say "You won't understand, but believe it anyway." Flat Earthers say "Here is the evidence."

What evidence? I've never seen a single piece of evidence that shows the earth to be flat. Give me your BEST proof that the Earth is flat. I'm curious what you think that is.

You have no working map. No pictures of the flat earth disk, nobody's been to the edge. No pictures of the dome. Nobody drilled a core sample of the dome. What's it's temperature?

I've personally performed many measurements and experiments to confirm the earth is round. Measuring the shadow of a stick is trivial with the internet letting you get a group of friends around the world to do it. You should try it.

How many flat earth experiments and observations have you made? What are they?

JackBlack

« Reply #408 on: August 15, 2021, 03:28:06 PM »
When you start looking for it, it really is staggering how much round earthers rely on cheap manipulation and fallacies in place of any actual argument.
You mean FEers.

Sure they do.
Row Boat.
Eric Dubay
Daniel Shenton.
They even have martyrs like Mike Hughes.

FE. Due to the wilful rejection of evidence that shows they are wrong, and the complete inability to defend their claims; especially with how they love their deflection.

You can even see this with you.
Notice how this thread was meant to be about the moon landing.
Yet instead of even attempt to discuss that, you just try to attack the RE as a cult.

You shouldn't even be asking which seems more like a cult.
Instead you should be asking which seems more like a rational, evidence based position?

When Neil Degrasse Tyson says something, you believe him because he said it.
No, we don't.
If he said the moon was made of cheese, we wouldn't accept it.
At least not most of us.

Instead we evaluate the claim based upon our current understanding of the world, including the available evidence.

who do you think 'Flat Earth Clues!' is aimed at, people that already think the world is flat, or people who disagree and want to debunk supposed clues?
Both, especially to allow those FEers to pretend their position is justified.

When a prominent flat earther says something, the response is massively divided
Almost as if FE is pure nonsense, and the division comes from all the contradictions needed to try to pretend the FE matches reality.
The same applies with loads of religions.
Go and ask Christians what they think of homosexuality or slavery or what a woman's place should be.
Some will try to use the Bible to justify outdated, archiac views, that homosexuality is an abomination worthy of death, that slavery is fine and a woman belongs to her husband and should obey her.
Others will try to use the Bible to claim that it is wrong to oppose homosexuality in any way, and to try claiming that slavery is evil and should not be permitted and that women should be treated as equals to men.

That is a big problem with cults. They are not based upon truth, so when they get large enough, they fracture and you end up with a bunch of different groups all with contradictory claims.
The same applies to the FE.
It is now large enough to have people in one FE group go directly against those in another FE group.

Again, it is far more often the other way around.
REers provide evidence and explanations, while the FEers just dodge any request to do so, instead claiming that the REers are brainwashed fools that wouldn't understand.

These fora are a wonderful example of that.

That's the claim, though of course it doesn't work out - all it tests is fat content. High fat, melts. Low fat, burns.
And notice how when it is false you can provide a counter argument, one which can actually make sense.
But not so for the FE.
The vast majority of evidence presented by REers is met with dismissal or is completely ignored.
Conversely, the evidence presented by FEers is shown to be faulty.

So which side matches your "life hacks" more?
e.g. Earth must be flat, just go look out your window and it is clearly flat.
Or take a look at this tiny body of water, see how the surface of water is flat? Earth must be flat.
Pure nonsense that is trivial to expose as nonsense.

Mikey T.

« Reply #409 on: August 15, 2021, 04:27:17 PM »
Well given I'm not the one saying that either, I don't know what world you're living in. Maybe the planet you're on actually is round, who knows? Here in the real world, we follow evidence and draw conclusions and don't blindly follow the leader.
"being given things you can do yourself that would challenge them." I notice you cut out the context conveniently. Learn about the life hacks trend, I recommend it, you'll find a lot of similarities. For example, people claim to be able to find out if cheese is synthetic or natural by holding a flame to it - either it melts, or catches fire. If it melts, it's natural, if it doesn't, it's synthetic and processed. That's the claim, though of course it doesn't work out - all it tests is fat content. High fat, melts. Low fat, burns.
You don't offer ways to challenge or test, you offer narrow little hacks with intentionally concealed subjects. And, as with your posts, utter garbage you've wholesale made up but you get to feign superiority to someone, so so be it, you can lie all you want.
I cut out no context.  Lovely strawman, now you are talking about lifehacks which has zero to do with what I said.  You were given a set of experiments that could be done by most people, yet you complain about them instead of trying them or explaining why you think they wouldn't work.  No you just don't want others to try things for themselves, because when they do, if they do them honestly, they will join reality and laugh at the brainwashed cult members like you.  It is amazing how you just dodge the points.  Notice how you only complain, never offering anything other than conspiracy talk and idiotic strawman fallacies.  Argue against what was said, not your inaccurate life hack nonsense, most of those are jokes, but I wouldn't expect you would understand the joke.  What is intentionally concealed?  You are given ideas of experiments to set up and analyse your own data.  FE cultist ALWAYS fall back on the "you didn't do it yourself", and yes you have most definitely done that yourself.  But now you want to complain about us giving you things to do yourself, you won't do yourself, we know it, you have to continue the lies. 
Amazing demonstration of brainwashed madness, please continue.

« Reply #410 on: August 15, 2021, 06:41:16 PM »
When a prominent flat earther says something,--
Prominent flat earther?  There's no such thing.  There is no flat earther that your average person on the street would even have heard of.

Gumwars

• A poke in your eye good sir...
« Reply #411 on: August 19, 2021, 01:13:45 PM »
Quote from: snomial

What fallacy do you see being invoked here?  What's manipulative about HAM radios and moon bounce experiments?

I see that book brought up far more by round earthers than flat earthers. And leaders? They are sources, but most don't follow them blindly. I honestly can't tell if you're trolling or genuinely so mindless that you can't see the difference. Are you really that unfamiliar with the in-fighting?

Actually, the in-fighting is something that gets mentioned often.  FE has no cohesion, no collective idea.  Is it an infinite plane?  Is there a firmament?  Is it heliocentric?  Is it universal acceleration?  So many ideas and nothing other than the basic shape that unifies them.  No map.  No reproducible experiments.  No formulas that account for 'ether'.  No explanations outside blind refutations of more commonly accepted theories.  Even among your contemporaries here, snomial, you have no consensus. 

When Neil Degrasse Tyson says something, you believe him because he said it.

When a person with recognized credentials, in this case, a BA from Harvard in Physics, a MA in Astronomy from the University of Texas Austin, and a Ph.D. in Astrophysics from Columbia University talks about something from their field, that would be an expert discussing their subject.  I don't believe everything he says because sometimes he talks about stuff that isn't in his wheelhouse.  However, when he talks about physics, astronomy, or astrophysics, I have no reason to not believe him.  He's been reliably correct, has provided a number of contributions to the scientific community, and has done a lot to bring astronomy back into the public view.

Did you actually say this?  With a straight face?  After the whole rain isn't droplets of water but rather lines debacle?  Are you trying to be funny or is this a serious attempt at being ironic? 

Do you want to discuss the moon landing or are you going to rant off topic as normal?

Quote from: Carl Sagan
We should endeavor to always keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out.

« Reply #412 on: December 12, 2021, 06:29:05 PM »
It would be impossible to fake especially in 1969

Timeisup

« Reply #413 on: December 22, 2021, 08:52:09 AM »

You do research? Thats interesting. What was the scope and nature of your research? Where have you published it. What were your controls and protocols? Have you had it peer reviewed?

Really…..what a laugh!!!