Live -- Felix Baumgartner makes record jump

• 37 Replies
Live -- Felix Baumgartner makes record jump
« on: October 14, 2012, 04:11:38 AM »
Hello,

Will any of you watch this jump? I am not sure what will be broadcast, but it could be interesting for further discussion:

http://www.redbullstratos.com/live/

Supported by a team of experts Felix Baumgartner plans to ascend to 120,000 feet in a stratospheric balloon and make a freefall jump rushing toward earth at supersonic speeds before parachuting to the ground.

It seems the live broadcast is due in about 2 hours.

Greetings,
Trincot

Re: Live -- Felix Baumgartner makes record jump
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 08:30:32 AM »

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
  • If I can't trust my eyes, what can I trust?
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 08:35:13 AM »
im watchinnnn,  I like the fishlens
Only one thing can save our future. Give Thork a BanHammer for Th*rksakes!

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 08:38:24 AM »
bored by it now

« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 09:50:01 AM by flateyes »

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 09:51:50 AM »
Indeed, a round disk. Also, just as I'm listening the guy is saying that you only see this because of the wide lense and it doesn't look like that if you're actually in the capsule.

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 10:03:18 AM »
Is it possible to take an image into Photoshop and compensate for the distortion of the lens?

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 10:07:14 AM »
Indeed, a round disk. Also, just as I'm listening the guy is saying that you only see this because of the wide lense and it doesn't look like that if you're actually in the capsule.

Actually, he said that at this height that you can begin to see the curvature of the earth, however it's not at pronounced as it's showing on the broadcast which is due to the wide angle lens.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 10:15:54 AM by Jesse »

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 11:16:07 AM »
The view out of the capsule when the door was open looked pretty darn flat.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 11:47:47 AM »
The view out the door did look flat.
And the other angles looked very round. 

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 11:54:42 AM »
There are several other threads in which the fish-eye lenses on those cameras distorted the horizon even at ground level during previous testing. Feel free to use the search function and find them. The only view without a wide-angle lens shows a flat horizon at the apex of the flight.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 12:04:31 PM »
I've previously seen an argument on here that the earth appears rounded because that is the edge of the light from the sun, and that the earth actually continues on past that curve. So even if a photo from a non-wide angle lens were posted showing the curve of the horizon, the follow up reply would then say that isn't the edge of the earth, correct?

« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 12:09:44 PM by flateyes »

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 12:13:58 PM »
Some slight curvature may be expected from extremely high altitude, correct.

The choice in lens was made to give the impression of a jump from space. Even the background graphic was a rapidly spinning globe. I doubt it was anything nefarious,  more for "Wow!" factor and publicity. The idea that the fish-eye views constitute proof that the world is a globe, however, is laughable.

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2012, 12:38:01 PM »
I'm not sure if I was clear in my previous post.

Here's what I was getting at:
If a video from a regular lens showed a curved horizon, you guys have another rebuttal waiting to explain that. The whole fisheye argument is irrelevant. If someone went through the trouble of providing a video where fisheye wasn't involved, you wouldn't accept that as proof. You have some other reply for why the horizon looks curved.

Is this correct?

Edit: Changed "photo" to say "video".

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 12:38:52 PM »
Some slight curvature may be expected from extremely high altitude, correct.

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2012, 12:45:47 PM »
Why would there be some curvature?

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2012, 12:48:23 PM »
Why would there be some curvature?

Bendy Light

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2012, 12:53:28 PM »
So you guys could make a thread that explains why a photo or video could never prove whether or not the earth is flat and cut down on a lot of pointless conversations about what kind of lens was used. "Bendy light" is the answer.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2012, 12:58:25 PM »
"Bendy light" is garbage. If there is curvature from altitude, it is due to the day-night terminator or the edge of the disc.

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2012, 09:19:33 AM »

This really isn't the gotcha moment you would like to think it is, ya know.  Draw a curved line to symbolize the curvature that we see of the earth from space.  Now, think about the fact that what you saw from the door of that capsule was only a teeny tiny portion of that line.  Finally, take your hands and cover most of your curved line so that only a small part of it, representative of the small portion you could see through the capsule door.  Does it look curved?  No, it looks flat, because it is only a tiny segment, so of course it looked "pretty darn flat", but that doesn't mean it was. 

?

Thork

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2012, 03:12:33 PM »
More details about Baumgarter have emerged.

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2012, 03:52:41 PM »
this guy just keeps getting cooler!

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2012, 07:17:08 PM »

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2012, 08:17:10 PM »
http://www.redbull.com/cs/Satellite/en_INT/Video/Exclusive--What-Felix-Saw-Red-Bull-Stratos-Live-021243270932859

So is this footage of the edge of the disk?
A total hoax?

Not at all.  It's exactly what one would expect to see when viewing video from high above the flat Earth taken with a camera that causes severe distortion.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2012, 01:10:26 PM »
Is Felix in on the conspiracy? Did he see a flat horizon that he has to shut up about?

?

Thork

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2012, 04:55:59 PM »
Is Felix in on the conspiracy? Did he see a flat horizon that he has to shut up about?

Actually Felix didn't see much of anything, as his visor misted up.   ::)

Quote from: http://tinyurl.com/bqnsw6n
As he ascended, there were fears the mission would once again be cancelled after he reported that the heating device in his visor was not working properly, causing it to mist up.

Quote from: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/9608084/Felix-Baumgartner-breaks-speed-of-sound.html
He said that he considered aborting the mission twice. Once while in the capsule when his visor began to fog up because of the coldness of his breath; the second at the beginning of the fall when he went into an uncontrollable spin.

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2012, 03:13:42 AM »
Quote from: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/9608084/Felix-Baumgartner-breaks-speed-of-sound.html
the second at the beginning of the fall when he went into an uncontrollable spin.

Wasn't it already too late to abort when he was already falling?

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2012, 05:24:42 AM »
the second at the beginning of the fall when he went into an uncontrollable spin.

Wasn't it already too late to abort when he was already falling?

I think he meant he considered pulling the drogue chute to stop  the spin.  Yes, this would not have stopped him from still achieving the height record, but it may have stopped him from achieving the speed record and most of the others.

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2012, 08:18:01 AM »
What one's eyes see is not necessary the scientific truth. Illusions, mirages, refraction in atmosphere with different density...

?

cartwheelnurd

• Iname as One
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2012, 06:23:53 PM »
Yes, even I agree that the footage is severely distorted by the visor.See how it actually changes as he looks at it?
Ravioli is how the universe fills a small part of itself with cheese.